NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Today I called to redeem 30k points to upgrade from a family inside room to a family ocean view. I booked a guaranteed inside cabin and was assigned to a family inside since I have 4 people in my cabin. When I called I was told I can’t upgrade to a family ocean view because I had booked a guaranteed inside. No guaranteed ocean views are available. Does this sound correct?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jpepin92 said:

Today I called to redeem 30k points to upgrade from a family inside room to a family ocean view. I booked a guaranteed inside cabin and was assigned to a family inside since I have 4 people in my cabin. When I called I was told I can’t upgrade to a family ocean view because I had booked a guaranteed inside. No guaranteed ocean views are available. Does this sound correct?

Yes that's correct.

You should always book the highest category like "A".   That way you have a larger pool of rooms .  In your case that is the problem.  You booked the lowest and there are no lowest to cross to 

Change your booking to an IA or IB and try again 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Yes that's correct.

You should always book the highest category like "A".   That way you have a larger pool of rooms .  In your case that is the problem.  You booked the lowest and there are no lowest to cross to 

Change your booking to an IA or IB and try again 

Thank you. The problem is the price of the cruise has gone up significantly since I booked. My plan is to bid on higher rooms and use my points for a statement credit if I win. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, laudergayle said:

We have booked an OA where we selected our cabin on the Jewel mid-May ‘24.  We want to upgrade to a BA. Right now Balcony cabins are Guarantee Only.  Will this mean that if we upgrade now, we wouldn’t be able to select our cabin?

Correct. You also may not be able to upgrade as there technically are no balcony cabins.

But May is far off so just book an IA or OA and keep calling world points pretending you don't know about the Balcony thing .

People will cancel 

Edited by mscdivina2016
  • Like 2

So I have called twice to see if they'd give me the other 5k. They moved the bonus back to 25k the day after I applied and my NCL app was actually always showing the 25k even though I knew it had dropped to 20k for a few months. I don't think I've ever had worse customer service than BofA. First the 10+ minutes of extremely frustrating IVR prompts (having to confirm repeatedly with different buttons that you want to continue holding?!) followed by a 30 minute hold. Then getting lied to repeatedly - saying it had to be NCL purchases in order get any sign up bonus, etc. Then she said she didn't have the authority. I ask for a supervisor that does and she actually had the nerve to try to come back on talking slightly louder pretending to be the supervisor. I really was excited to use the 30-60k for an upgrade, but I'm tempted to cash out for OBC and dump this horrible card for a proper travel card with decent support. 

• Haha 1

I get NCL emails to 2 different email addresses.  One is linked to my latitudes and log in; the other was one I used when CC used to do the daily entries to win a free cruise. I received an email today in my non-NCL account address offering me 25,000 point AND a free upgrade in status to Silver.  Has anyone seen this or done this?

I sent it to my TA who said that her contacts at NCL wouldn't be able to verify it and that I would need to call the CC company.  Maybe I am just paranoid but it sounds too good to be true.  And no, I did not click on any links within the email.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mrfeeto said:

So I have called twice to see if they'd give me the other 5k. They moved the bonus back to 25k the day after I applied and my NCL app was actually always showing the 25k even though I knew it had dropped to 20k for a few months. I don't think I've ever had worse customer service than BofA. First the 10+ minutes of extremely frustrating IVR prompts (having to confirm repeatedly with different buttons that you want to continue holding?!) followed by a 30 minute hold. Then getting lied to repeatedly - saying it had to be NCL purchases in order get any sign up bonus, etc. Then she said she didn't have the authority. I ask for a supervisor that does and she actually had the nerve to try to come back on talking slightly louder pretending to be the supervisor. I really was excited to use the 30-60k for an upgrade, but I'm tempted to cash out for OBC and dump this horrible card for a proper travel card with decent support. 

I have had a few bad experiences with the WP folks but when I get a rotten apple, I just hang up and call back.  My experience has been I will get a normal human being and my problem is resolved.  Yes, you can dump the card, but IMHO the value I receive from those upgrades is worth more than my ego and time.  Cool off a bit before your u decide.  I find calling weekdays between 8-4 gets me the greater likelihood of a knowledgeable agent.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bonnie1222 said:

I get NCL emails to 2 different email addresses.  One is linked to my latitudes and log in; the other was one I used when CC used to do the daily entries to win a free cruise. I received an email today in my non-NCL account address offering me 25,000 point AND a free upgrade in status to Silver.  Has anyone seen this or done this?

I sent it to my TA who said that her contacts at NCL wouldn't be able to verify it and that I would need to call the CC company.  Maybe I am just paranoid but it sounds too good to be true.  And no, I did not click on any links within the email.

That’s an interesting scenario.  I’ve never gotten anything close to what you are talking about.  Not that I don’t believe it didn’t happen, but apparently they have expanded their marketing in some new ways lately, so that could well be.  Seems a good move to recruit latitude members who have already shown an interest in repeatedly sailing NCL.  Give them a call and let us know how it works out.

• Like 1

Hello. I am booked in an inside cabin and have 30k points. There are no oceanview rooms available to upgrade to. Would I be able to use my points and pay a difference to upgrade to a balcony? My guess is they would tell me to pay for the upgrade and use my 30k for a statement credit.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 10:39 AM, nhtravels said:

When do the triple points as "triple" on the BOA site?  For clarity, I made final payment of $5,015 on 9/13 for my January cruise.  My pending points show as 5015.  There is nothing in the bonus points.  I assume that there should be an additional 10,030 points in bonus coming.   Will this only happen when the statement cuts or should those already show?

I hope this makes sense!  (Migraine brain fog is no joke!)

I have the same thing on a 9/15 NCL charge (payment on cruise fare) - no bonus points included.  I received the bonus points on a 9/27 charge also made to NCL on the same cruise booking.  The bonus points for 9/15 are not on the monthly statement issued a few days ago.

Edited by LoveThatCorgi
  • Like 1

Hi, I currently have 44,000 points on this card. I had 3 cabins booked on a 14 day cruise in January 2025. NCL cancelled that cruise and I'm awaiting a refund on the card from NCL. Will those points be wiped out? If I use the points before the refund, what happens if the points are gone before the refund is posted. All points were accrued through payments made to NCL, however, I purchased 3 cruisefirst certificates when they matched $500 for a $250 purchase. The cruisefirst certs are already showing on all three accounts. So I'm assuming $750 won't get  refunded since it was used to purchase the 3 cruisefirst certs. I'm just not sure how to play the "points game" on if I should use the points prior to refund. Again, this was NCL cancelling the cruise, so not sure if that makes a difference. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, robtx100 said:

Hi, I currently have 44,000 points on this card. I had 3 cabins booked on a 14 day cruise in January 2025. NCL cancelled that cruise and I'm awaiting a refund on the card from NCL. Will those points be wiped out? If I use the points before the refund, what happens if the points are gone before the refund is posted. All points were accrued through payments made to NCL, however, I purchased 3 cruisefirst certificates when they matched $500 for a $250 purchase. The cruisefirst certs are already showing on all three accounts. So I'm assuming $750 won't get  refunded since it was used to purchase the 3 cruisefirst certs. I'm just not sure how to play the "points game" on if I should use the points prior to refund. Again, this was NCL cancelling the cruise, so not sure if that makes a difference. 

The $750 - and points earned -for your CNs won't be refunded because you keep those, use them later.  However, if there are refunds to your card because you also made payments to NCL for the cruise you will lose any points for those payments.  Same as would happen with any card that gives you points.  However, hard to say what happens if you use them before any refunds hit your account.  I would assume your points balance would go negative and any future points earned would be used to offset that balance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, julig22 said:

The $750 - and points earned -for your CNs won't be refunded because you keep those, use them later.  However, if there are refunds to your card because you also made payments to NCL for the cruise you will lose any points for those payments.  Same as would happen with any card that gives you points.  However, hard to say what happens if you use them before any refunds hit your account.  I would assume your points balance would go negative and any future points earned would be used to offset that balance.

Thank you. I've decided to just leave the points alone for now and see what happens when the refund hits. I have a feeling this is going to get complicated. When I first got the card, I spent the necessary $1,000 to get the 25,000 bonus points. $750 of the $1,000 was spent on the cruisefirst certificates. $250 was spent on payment for the cruise, plus I've been making monthly payments to budget so the full payment on the cabins wouldn't be due all at once at final payment date. So with the refund, I guess I may lose my 25,000 bonus points. Which will make me upset since this was no fault of my own. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, robtx100 said:

Thank you. I've decided to just leave the points alone for now and see what happens when the refund hits. I have a feeling this is going to get complicated. When I first got the card, I spent the necessary $1,000 to get the 25,000 bonus points. $750 of the $1,000 was spent on the cruisefirst certificates. $250 was spent on payment for the cruise, plus I've been making monthly payments to budget so the full payment on the cabins wouldn't be due all at once at final payment date. So with the refund, I guess I may lose my 25,000 bonus points. Which will make me upset since this was no fault of my own. 

You might not lose your bonus points, not sure how sophisticated that system is.  Your qualified purchases were registered, they should just remove points associated with the refund. Hopefully that's how it will work.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, robtx100 said:

You probably will have them taken away but if you call they will open a case and you will get them or get to keep them.  You met the terms by spending. Done deal.

Since your only talking $250 worth. Use the card now and spend $250 or book a cruise 2 years away and put down $250 and cancel it several months later 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Before I try to use points to upgrade from an Oceanview to a Balcony, is there anywhere I can find a clear explanation about the categories, and the use of the word meta in describing categories?  I'd like to have a better understanding before I go through the process?

And is it fair to assume any perks I have from Free at Sea automatically are included with the upgrade?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DuckTollerFans said:

Before I try to use points to upgrade from an Oceanview to a Balcony, is there anywhere I can find a clear explanation about the categories, and the use of the word m!!a in describing categories?  I'd like to have a better understanding before I go through the process?

And is it fair to assume any perks I have from Free at Sea automatically are included with the upgrade?

There isn't any clear Info.

Your best source is here on CC.

Ocean view to Balcony is easy.

You max is a BA.  No higher no afts as long as you book an OA.

BB-OB

BC-OC

Best to book highest OV to get choice of Balconies available.

Don't use the "M!!A" word in your posts here or they will get flagged and delayed. That word is just a word they made up basically.

• Like 1

I thought I would give an update on my points situation after NCL cancelled my cruise and I have received the refund in hopes of helping anyone else who may have this situation in the future. My 25,000 bonus points are still there and were not removed, however, they are removing 7,500 points from a $250 payment, 4,725 points for a $900 payment, 4,725 points for a $900 payment, and 2,700 points for a $900 payment. So I will be losing 12,900 points total. I guess I can live with that. 

• Like 1

Just wanted to make you all aware that B of A will be having "More Rewards Day" once again this year.  It will be on Thursday, November 9th.  All purchases (up to a $2,500) limit will receive an extra 2 points per dollar.  If you are a preferred rewards member, the extra reward from B of A is only calculated based only on the normal 3 points per dollar spent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Don't use the "M!!A" word in your posts here or they will get flagged and delayed. That word is just a word they made up basically.

Ah, that must be why my original post had to be reviewed/moderated.  I talked about this briefly with my travel agent recently and she had to interpret what it meant - apparently other lines use a different term.   You'd think there would be a FAQ about the terms. 

We're in OB now; looks like the majority of the balcony cabins are BB so we should be good. (Getaway)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vince_g said:

Just wanted to make you all aware that B of A will be having "More Rewards Day" once again this year.  It will be on Thursday, November 9th.  All purchases (up to a $2,500) limit will receive an extra 2 points per dollar.  If you are a preferred rewards member, the extra reward from B of A is only calculated based only on the normal 3 points per dollar spent.

Figures....we will be in the middle of the ocean on a cruise then.

• Like 1