How do mealtimes work?

IrisInLove

Please forgive me if this is too ridiculously stupid a question. :)

We're going on our first cruise on the Infinity to Alaska in September, and many of our questions revolve around the dining arrangements.

When we're seated. . .how many entrée options do we have?

Will we know the menu in advance, so if it's something we dislike we could choose one of the other dining venues?

I noticed the cruiseline asked for our birthdates. . .do they attempt to pair us up with similarly aged couples?

Thank you for your input!

Congrats on your first cruise! It'll be so much fun -

Yes, you will know in advance the menu selections. Celebrity posts each day's menu outside the dining rooms each morning, so you can plan in advance if you wish, There are normally several entree' options, typically a fish, poultry, beef, etc. There will also be a chef's selection of appetizer, entree,salad, and dessert that are grouped together for taste compatibility and ease of selection. As far as age pairings, I can't comment to that. I do know that on our cruise, all our tablemates were 50's, early 60's, like us. So- perhapps they do try to place like ages at the same table.

I am excited for you! Hope the planning is as much fun as the cruise. This is the best website for getting your questions answered.

When we're seated. . .how many entrée options do we have?

Will we know the menu in advance, so if it's something we dislike we could choose one of the other dining venues?

I noticed the cruiseline asked for our birthdates. . .do they attempt to pair us up with similarly aged couples?

Thank you for your input!

Generally, there are 4-5 different entree options per night, including a vegetarian option.

The menus are posted each day outside the dining room. You can go earlier in the day to see what's on the menu for that evening, and if you prefer not to dine there, you can opt for the casual dining in the buffet area (you do need to call for reservations) or at the premium restaurant (additional charge). Of course, you can always order off the room service menu as well.

Yes, they do take your age into consideration with dining assignments - but sometimes to seat you with others your age, sometimes to have a mixture of ages at a table.

There's also an ala carte menu, items that are available every night. That menu includes chicken, NY Strip Steak and salmon. They also have baked potatoes, french fries and plain spaghetti with tomato sauce.

As far as the menu goes, there are three or four appetizers, two soups, two salads and usually 4 entrees, along with a vegetarian item, and at least four desserts. There's always ice cream in different flavors.

The nightly menu for the dining room is posted outside the dining room, usually around breakfast time. There are things that change every evening, but also know that there are a few things that are available every evening like steak, shrimp cocktail, escargot, and ceasar salad (just naming what I can remember). Fresh berries with real whipped cream for dessert is a yummy option. I don't know if Celebrity has started listing these (things available every evening) or not, but Carnival and Princess list them on the left side of the menu.

There is a specialty restaurant on Infinity, and there is an extra charge for that, but I'm told that it's well worth it. Celebrity doesn't usually have a buffet in the evenings, rather casual dining with table cloths, servers and menus in the buffet area. There is a very small charge for that as well. But I have heard on Mercury for Alaska, that ship is in port very late twice - well past early seating. Someone who has already been on that cruise this year said they did have a buffet those two evenings only, which I think is a great idea. Maybe someone who has already done the Infinity itinerary can confirm if they are doing this as well???

Other evening dining options include the sushi bar, made-to-order pasta (on the aft deck - same place they make those awesome Belgian waffles in the mornings), the burger grill, and pizza. There's also room service.

Trust me, it would be very hard to go hungry on a cruise!!!!

Actually, unless things have changed, we have found that they do post the lunch menu, but not until after breakfast, and then they do not post the dinner menu until after lunch is completed (but that still gives you plenty of time to decide - we have NEVER not found something we liked to eat).

Hi,

You're going to love it!

a) If you can't wait -- or are worried -- you can often find the menus online. One ship's menus don't vary much from another's. Usually, there's a vegetarian, beef, chicken, fish and pork option for main course. Ask here and I'm sure someone will send you a link.

b) It's a complete mystery, I think, as to how you're seated. On our first cruise -- in our early 30s -- we didn't particularly care for the large table of similarly aged people we were sitting with. They moved us to a table for four with a couple in their late 80s! Jim and Darlene turned out to be the best tablemates we ever had. They were so well traveled...and their life had been filled with adventures. What stories! So you never know. That said, we try to get a table for two now...just because we rarely, rarely eat dinner together unless vacationing (different schedules).

We were paired with two women who were in their 80's and they were great. Everynight they had great stories to tell.

You want a table where people are interesting and can add to the conversation and make dinner enjoyable.

Try eating with couples who sit and eat and have nothing to offer ...

If you are on a longer cruise, and dine there more than a couple of times, they will give you a very different menu, which is absolutely fantastic. We dined there four times during our 14 day cruise, and on the third and fourth nights they gave us another printed menu for their frequent diners.

:) You two are in for such a treat --- we are Big Celebrity Fans !!! After many cruises with them,we continue to go back time & time again. The food question has been answered,but I have a suggestion about tablemates. We always ask for a table for 6-8 that way there will probably be some people you enjoy. Please remember that if you are not pleased you can ask to be moved that happens all the time. The Celebrity folks want you happy & we have found them to always be willing to try there best to make you happy.

:D Happy Travels,

Beckaj

Since noone else has mentioned it, there are also certain things you can get every night in the dining room for dinner if you do not care for any of the options on the menu. These include:

- Ceaser salad

- fresh berries

- grilled chicken breast

- NY sirloin (I believe is the steak, I might be incorrect, but nevertheless there is a steak)

- grilled salmon

Enjoy your cruise! I loved Alaska!

Also, there is a vegetarian menu on Celebrity, which is not printed on the regular menu pages, it is a separate booklet. I had the vegetarian lasagna one night which was very good. If your tastes lean that way, be sure to ask them to bring that menu to your table.

We sailed aboard Infinity in March (Panama Canal) and found the Dinner menus to be quite acceptable, but be aware that you can order many, many things that don't appear on the menu. Also, if you enjoy something you can feel free to order multiples. If the salads don't interest you, feel free to order multiple soups. If one shrimp cocttail (4 shrimp) isn't enough, order two. Would you like berries and whipped cream or bananas and cream, feel free to order them every night. Do you like brussel sprouts? My brother does, so he asked about them and there were two large bowls on our table every night for the last 12 nights. There are some things you can't get in the Trellis Restaurant (such as a Grand Marnier Souffle), because those items are reserved for the S.S. United States Restaurant, but feel free to try. Regarding lobster, which is generally served only once, feel free to order two that night. Everyone at our table, 7, who wanted lobster got two of them.

The staff aboard Infinity was wonderful, and if you see Carlos in Guest Relations, please tell him that Bob Mullins said hello. If you have any problems, he will go above and beyond to solve them, and he will remember you from your first visit and greet you by name every time you pass by Guest Relations.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Our first Celebrity cruise will be on Infinity to Alaska in September. What we want is to be able to come as close to possible to the anytime buffet we enjoyed on Dawn Princess recently.

It's not clear to us if there's a similar type of dining option on Infinity from about 7 AM to 7 or 8 PM without having to have an extra charge for it.

We are supposed to get cruise information in the mail from Celebrity soon; maybe my question will be answered when we do.

Ray Mac.

Our first Celebrity cruise will be on Infinity to Alaska in September. What we want is to be able to come as close to possible to the anytime buffet we enjoyed on Dawn Princess recently.

It's not clear to us if there's a similar type of dining option on Infinity from about 7 AM to 7 or 8 PM without having to have an extra charge for it.

We are supposed to get cruise information in the mail from Celebrity soon; maybe my question will be answered when we do.

Ray Mac.

No, it won't, but I'll try. The following is straight out of Celebrity Today for our Panama Canal cruise aboard Infinity in March.

The Oceanview Cafe is open on sea days as follows:

6:30 am - 7:30 am Sunrise Coffee & Tea

7:30 am - 10 am Breakfast Buffet

7:30 am - 10 am Waffle & Pancake Station

10 am - 11:30 am Late Breakfast

12 noon - 2:30 pm Buffet Lunch

12 noon - 2:30 pm Curry Station

12 noon - 3 pm Soups, Salads & Sandwiches

12 noon - 10 pm Frozen Yogurt & Ice Cream

12 noon - 1 am Freshly Tossed Pasta & Salad Bar

12 noon - 1 am Home Made Pizza

4 pm - 5 pm Afternoon Tea

24 hour Coffee Station

Breezes Pool Grill

12 noon - 7 pm Hot Dogs, Hamburgers & Dessert

AquaSpa Cafe

7:30 am - 10 am Light & Healthy Breakfast

12 noon - 8 pm Healthy Choice All Day Dining

Casual Dining Boulevard

5 pm - 8:30 pm Sunset Happy Hour w/Music &

Savories - Oceanview Bar

5 pm - 10 pm Sushi Cafe

6 pm - 10 pm Casual Dining (Not buffet & need

reservation ($2 gratuity suggested)

This comes up frequently, and no it isn't the same type of buffet you're used to on other ships. Hope this helps.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Bob, you should put that list on a separate thread:)

Just for those questioning dining;)

Another scenerio on ALASKA Cruises....though I don't know

the % of time it happens.......

When the ship is very late in port that day.....sometimes....

sometimes......they do offer a Buffet (a regular buffet) up on

the lido deck.

I can't remember which port we were in but last year I sailed

to Alaska. I know for one evening they offered a buffet due

to the timing of how late the ship was docked. (The dining

room was open as usual). Actually I think we were in Juneau.

And I believe a couple of folks who just returned from Alaska

might have mentioned that as well.

Yes, it was Juneau....I remember, because we were late docking~

late getting back and I left my excursion early. (Long story) LOL

I got back and I remember seeing my Maitr'd....told me I could

try to buffet if I preferred.....told him..no thanks:) I love the dining room!

But Bob is correct....there is not a "standard buffet" for dinner

on Celebrity.

Ray Mac.

Except on special occasions as Lois mentioned, there is not a buffet for the dinner hours on any Celebrity ship. The dining in the buffet area is off a menu and is served by waiters. The buffet itself will close around 2 or 2:30P.M. This comes up all the time, Celebrity has never had a dinner buffet fleetwide since their inception.

OK, I guess we won't starve.

Hopefully we can take food from the dining area after eating to be able to have a snack in between.

Ray Mac.

huh?:eek: I have never gone hungry on any of my cruises.

Not sure I understood the last sentence..take food from the dining

room?

Remember, you can always order room service too:)

I recommend the M ship's [this includes your Infinity] small, but quite good, AquaSpa dining buffet in the Solarium, open from breakfast until [i think] 8pm. Mostly lighter, healthier foods. Since I love X's pool grill french fries [any that good can't be good for you], I *also* eat in the spa - I figure this counterbalances. And I never miss evening Sushi. Can't understand why the salt air shrinks my clothes on these cruises:confused:

We pulled into Bermuda about 4pm in March on a Millie TransAtlantic - that night they had both the main cafe buffet open, and open seating in the main dining room - they recognize when there are time issues, and will make sure that you get well fed! The 24 hour room service menu usually has several items [clam chowder, German Choclate cake] that I like, but that rarely show up elsewhere. Unfortunately I'm always too full to actually order room service - but when I remarked about this one time, my dining room waiter went to the room service section and brought me clam chowder:) :) We were at lunch with friends who remarked that they loved rum raisin ice cream, but it had not been on the menu except the first night - back comes the waiter with bowls of vanilla ice cream, and a big bowl of raisins and a bowl of rum!! Remember this is lunch and not our regular waiter - I said this is above and beyond and we HAVE to compliment this guy to his bosses - he wouldn't tell us his name or let us see his name tag - I guess maybe the rum was MORE than he was supposed to do:rolleyes:

Archived