I heard a rumor - maybe someone can confirm - Princess in NYC full time?!?

bride and groom

First - I want to make this perfectly clear. THIS IS A RUMOR, I AM NOT SAYING IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN.

Ok that being said, this morning's water cooler talk with some of my work associates is that Princess is going to move one of the Grand Class ships to New York on a full time basis in 2010. This comes from a co-worker who was recently on Crown Princess and this is something she "over heard".

Has anyone else heard this rumor?

I'd be thrilled if it was true!

Several Ships are leaving the Gulf Ports. Also there is the Emerald this year and the new Ruby next year. They will have to have somewhere to put these ships. But then again they could just keep more in Europe.

Makes sense. They built that beautiful terminal at the port in Red Hook, Brooklyn. However, I'm still not interested. When going to the Caribbean, I'd rather leave from Florida or San Juan.

Would the Sun Class ships be too large to cruise to Bermuda and dock in Hamilton? That would be wonderful. I know this thread is about a Grand Class ship in NYC, but it would so nice for Princess to have a ship in NYC that could then start doing 7 day Bermuda cruises.

Im thinking that a full-time sun class ship doing 7 night Bermuda in the summer and Caribbean in the winter plus the CB doing the 9 day in the summer would work fine.

I dont think they would attract many people on a grand class ship in the winter

I'll sail in just about any weather, 2 days of relaxation is fine by me. Actually, I wasn't considering sailing in January from NY. We usually sail from FL. in Jan because we are there and then sail in September from NY. Each to his own!

Would the Sun Class ships be too large to cruise to Bermuda and dock in Hamilton? That would be wonderful. I know this thread is about a Grand Class ship in NYC, but it would so nice for Princess to have a ship in NYC that could then start doing 7 day Bermuda cruises.

Hey, Benny!

How are you? Haven't seen you on the boards lately.

Mike and I enjoyed our trip to Toronto. Dinner at Oro was fabulous, as always. Our waiter was Enzo who remembered from a year ago that I like cheese for dessert :) .

We've booked our third sailing on the CB for the week of 10/7 - this is our "bargain" cruise: Inside stateroom. No pre-cruise overnight. Very early flight on the day of sailing. Never cruised in October before and are looking forward to it.

Be well.

Chris

I don't think Princess knows where they will be in 2009, let alone 2010.

Look this year, they made announcements for the following year and then changed it a few weeks later. This was just one year out.

Just wanted to add that HAL looks like it's pulling Noordam out of NYC and since HAL is part of the Carnival family - just as Princess is part of the Carnival family, what the original poster is saying would make sense. They didn't spend that type of $$ to leave the berths open.

Hoping it's true too!

I know I would be interested! We usually cruise twice a year,and once from Brooklyn would make it easier and cheaper. Hope it is true.:)

It might make it easier but cheaper? Not in most cases. Cruises from NY get more than a cruise from Florida. Me personally even with air it's usually a little cheaper to fly to Florida and cruise from there.

Not easier but cheaper.:)

Bill

Since we are speculating - with more people reluctant to fly due to the difficulties with weather, re-scheduling, security procedures, it might make sense to put a ship close to a very large population that likes to cruise. Would I trade a day or two of cool, even cold weather to avoid some of the potential problems and preditable hassles associated with flying? Probably.

I'd sail out of the NY area anytime over flying to FL or PR. Anyone who's flown in or out of the NYC airports in the past several months knows how awful it's gotten.

Flights are never on time. Any little blip in the weather delays flights for several hours. On a good day, if you sit on the runway for less than an hour waiting to take off you consider yourself lucky. It's no particular airline, it's just that the air traffic in the northeast is just so congested. Then of course there's the security concerns. Air travel has gotten to be a real pain and I try to avoid it if I possibly can.

Cruises out of NY to the Caribbean are usually 9 days or longer. You get 2 wonderful sea days going down and coming back. The first sea day might be a bit chilly in the winter, particulary in the morning. By the afternoon, I'm usually out on my balcony reading. By the second day, it's pool weather.

I was thrilled when cruise lines started coming back to NY and I hope the trend continues.

Who wants to cruise from NY in January? How many days til you'd hit warm weather? I'd rather leave from FL or San Juan. I go to Caribbean in winter to get away from the cold. I don't want to sail in cold weather for 2 days.

You hit the warm weather around noon the day after you set sail. :)

It might make it easier but cheaper? Not in most cases. Cruises from NY get more than a cruise from Florida. Me personally even with air it's usually a little cheaper to fly to Florida and cruise from there.

Not easier but cheaper.:)

Bill

We are sailing the CB from NY next May. The insides are priced higher than our balcony on the CB from FLL! However, after adding in the flight, the one night stayover...It came to about the same. :) Remember too, it is 9 days!

Revised Packing List: Snow boots to walk the Promenade deck, ski jacket, ice scraper for balcony door, hot chocolate mix for the coffee maker, hand warmers, ear muffs, road salt for balcony floor, etc. Blizzard warnings substituted for hurricane warnings. At least 1 1/2 days each way wasted.

New York all year round? Ecchhh! No thanks!!

See you in FLL and/or SJU!

I really don't think Princess will have a ship there in January/February.

NCL has a ship there in the winter and have made an offer to all passengers that they cancel if the weather is bad. There has been some awful weather up there that would make it not desirable to get on a ship in the winter.

Cruise News Daily had a picture of NCL after a snow. The staff had built snowman on the deck - it was sort of pretty looking at the picture but I would not like to sail from there at that time.

I really don't think Princess will have a ship there in January/February.

NCL has a ship there in the winter and have made an offer to all passengers that they cancel if the weather is bad. There has been some awful weather up there that would make it not desirable to get on a ship in the winter.

Cruise News Daily had a picture of NCL after a snow. The staff had built snowman on the deck - it was sort of pretty looking at the picture but I would not like to sail from there at that time.

A group of us sailed in Feb. during the "Great Blizzard" out of NY. Have sailed in Feb. 4 times and I love it:) The blizzard cruise was quiet an adventure. NCL has a winter weather guarantee that if the ship is delayed getting in or out of NY for 12 hrs. you get a $200.00 OBC....we got it even tho we were on the ship by 4p. We could not re-fuel until the next day so we over nighted next to The Lady, fabulous experience:D

You can always go on deck the next day by the pool and by that afternoon go in the pool.

I do hope that Princess has year round sailings, but I think that they should have a guarantee in place........just in case. NCL has only had to use it one time, for our cruise.

Archived