No formal night on Crown?

leavitt1

Hello all,

My dad is leaving on the Crown this week, and he just told me on the phone that he had been told there were no formal nights on this cruise. Could this be true or has he been misinformed?

Michelle

Sometimes on cruises we have found very last minute changes in dining. For example, on HA Noordam in January 2007, just before the cruise we were informed that we now had a half hour window to enter the dining room and that the time had been moved up a half hour.

I am very curious, how did your dad learn that there were no formal nights on the Crown? We were on the Crown in June and like the other writer, we also had two formal nights.

I love the 'no formal nights' or 'optional formal nights' as found on Norwegian. Unfortunately, this is not the case on the Crown. I know I might get stoned for saying this...but for me...it would work out famously!!

Cruise Raider,

You are not alone in that line of thinking, and it's starting to become very evident that there are just as many folks who don't care for formal nights as there are that like them. Like our country, it's really divided... the middle states are "red" and the rest of the states "blue". The saddest thing is that the "red" and "blue" cannot and will not ever see eye to eye.

For Princess however it's all about making money, and in my opinion they aren't ever going to enforce the suggested dress code to the letter. In the future I would expect that they will adopt something similar to NCL, where there will be seperate dining rooms for those who choose not to dress up, and for those who enjoy it. Seems only fair to me.

Michelle, have your dad check his documentation. It should list in there how many formal nights he will have. There will definitely be at least two formal night, though.

Vince - we actually saw the maitre d' refuse entrance to a passenger because her dress was not appropriate for formal night. He also would not allow people to enter the dining room late - if you were 20 minutes late, you dined elsewhere. I'd never seen that happen before and our waiter confirmed that everyone lived in fear of the guy because he ran such a tight dining room. He'd been with the line for quite a while, so Princess must stand behind his actions.

My stand on formal nights is the same as always, if you don't want to dress up, order room service and enjoy the view off your balcony. Or go to the buffet, but leave those of us who are happy to comply with the dress code alone. It's the only time I can get the big guy in a tux anyhow.

Charlie

It used to be the norm to turn away people from the traditional seating dining rooms if they were more than 15 minutes late, and there were signs to that effect at the entrance.

As you noted, some maitre 'ds still enforce that rule.

Michelle, have your dad check his documentation. It should list in there how many formal nights he will have. There will definitely be at least two formal night, though.

Vince - we actually saw the maitre d' refuse entrance to a passenger because her dress was not appropriate for formal night. He also would not allow people to enter the dining room late - if you were 20 minutes late, you dined elsewhere. I'd never seen that happen before and our waiter confirmed that everyone lived in fear of the guy because he ran such a tight dining room. He'd been with the line for quite a while, so Princess must stand behind his actions.

My stand on formal nights is the same as always, if you don't want to dress up, order room service and enjoy the view off your balcony. Or go to the buffet, but leave those of us who are happy to comply with the dress code alone. It's the only time I can get the big guy in a tux anyhow.

Charlie

Charlie,

Didn't suggest that you would have to share your dining room with dressed down folks. Don't be surprised if Princess follows NCL in setting up a seperate dining room for casual dining. It just isn't fair to force people who'd rather remain casual to eat a lesser quality food. It wouldn't affect your experience since there would be a dining room for formally dressed people.

Respectfully,

Vince

Sailed Crown, this past Dec., we had 2 formal nights. However, if anyone is absolutely against formal nights, all they have to do is eat in the Horizon court or Cafe Caribe which have no formal nights. Some of us do enjoy to dress up so 2 each his/her own. Tell Dad to have a GREAT cruise!:)

Sailed Crown, this past Dec., we had 2 formal nights. However, if anyone is absolutely against formal nights, all they have to do is eat in the Horizon court or Cafe Caribe which have no formal nights. Some of us do enjoy to dress up so 2 each his/her own. Tell Dad to have a GREAT cruise!:)

Yes, until Princess does something to better accomodate those who don't want to go formal. Guess her Dad meant there would be no formal nights for him...

I do realize that the Horizon Court is open for diners not wanting to dress, but really do enjoy the formal dining room service and food choices. The only reason we are bringing formal clothing is for the one and only....well, you guessed it....LOBSTER night.

We would never dream of going to the dining room dressed like bums (but we have seen others do this before .... not only dressed like bums, but drunken bums), but would be nice to be able to abide by the casual dress code. Since they have the personal choice dining option, it would be nice if the dress code that night would also be option (nice casual or formal).

I know, I know, I should just cruise on Norwegian then....but have many more cruises under my belt with Princess. I am going for the free laundering service...ha!! Then, I could pack in a backpack for all my cruises. heehee!

Hello all,

My dad is leaving on the Crown this week, and he just told me on the phone that he had been told there were no formal nights on this cruise. Could this be true or has he been misinformed?

Michelle

Michelle, I'm on the same cruise as your Dad (leaving tomorrow), and I know that there will be two formal nights.

Sharon H.

Hello all,

Michelle

Maybe, they misunderstood.

Being you do not have to dress for formal if eating in the Horizon Court - Caribe Cafe.

Yes, until Princess does something to better accomodate those who don't want to go formal. Guess her Dad meant there would be no formal nights for him...

I had to chuckle when I read this response. Could be so................

Archived