Jewelry Shopping

schange

We're first-time cruisers and we may want to buy some serious jewelry so which is better -- St. Thomas or St. Martin? We're going on MOS and if we don't get anything in St. Thomas then we might regret it unless they have the same stuff and/or better in St. Martin. How do they compare:confused: ??

Thanks CCer's!

I bought my mother a beautiful opal bracelet in St Maarten. After doing some price comparisons where they ranged from $200 to $700 (guess someone thought I was a sucker!) for approximately the same number of carats and gold quality, I purchased it for $145. Don't forget to bargain!

It appraised for more than double when I got it home.

You are probably going to find more shops in St Tom both by the port and downtown but you will find the selections start to look the same as you go from shop to shop. Sizing may not be available so if it's a ring what you see may not fit so that's a resize when you get home.

Now look at the jewels onboard and make a list of prices and things you like. Then go shopping in St Tom and compare. If the price on the ship is better you'll have a chance to buy it on the way home. They will guantee for 1 year an dthey are easier to get hold of.

Now that you bought the "SERIOUS" piece of jewelry smile:D and then look up cause here comes the customs agent:( :eek: Let me see I paid :rolleyes:

You can always wear your serious piece of jewelry when you are going home...how would anyone know??? I know I take jewelry with me that I bought on previous cruises so how would the custom's agent know when I actually bought it?? I did get stopped once and was asked if I bought any of the jewelry on the islands that I was wearing and I said NO and it was the truth!!! But anyhow, St. Thomas is good for jewelry!!:D

I bought a tanzanite and australian opal earrings in St Thomas. It appraised for more than double what I paid. Be sure and hassle for a better price, the sales lady finally went to the manager and he gave me his "rock bottom dollar". There is a great store Diamonds International right at the pier in St Thomas. Thanks to Ckrobyn I found this store.

Have a great cruise and have fun buying the jewelry.

We have bought many pieces of jewelry over the years. Name brand items like Hardy, Yurman, etc. usually have a discount of about 10% (unless on sale), but you also have no sales tax. St. Thomas has massive amounts of jewelry and many of the small shops are the same "family" - so if you are looking for something they don't have they will offer you a cold drink and send a runner to another store to bring it back for you.

One Thanksgiving cruise I hit a $2,500 Royal Flush the night before St. Thomas and everyone in my family had a "gold" Christmas. It was like money found and we spent most of it in St. Thomas!

One trip we were looking at a ring and the owner told me to wear it around, go have lunch, and come back later - she was sure I would purchase.

These days we aren't in to jewelry as much, but for fun I pre-shop catalogs or on line and make a little folder with anything I might consider - with prices and descriptions - so I can really tell if I think the jewelry is a good deal or not.

We have shopped at both St. Martin and St. Thomas, and I would say prices are similar.

Cat

You can always wear your serious piece of jewelry when you are going home...how would anyone know??? I know I take jewelry with me that I bought on previous cruises so how would the custom's agent know when I actually bought it?? I did get stopped once and was asked if I bought any of the jewelry on the islands that I was wearing and I said NO and it was the truth!!! But anyhow, St. Thomas is good for jewelry!!:D

It's that vein in your neck that pulses when you are not telling the truth. The Customs agents go through the process everyday and look for small signs that are give aways. New Jewelry looks like new, previous worn jewelry has little signs (scratch or dirt from wear etc).

Don't wear it and don't look guilty:cool:

We're first-time cruisers and we may want to buy some serious jewelry so which is better -- St. Thomas or St. Martin? We're going on MOS and if we don't get anything in St. Thomas then we might regret it unless they have the same stuff and/or better in St. Martin. How do they compare:confused: ??

Thanks CCer's!

Over the last 15 years we have been in St Thomas over 12 times and we always deal with Princess Jewelers in St. Thomas. They are on Main Street on the right hand side about 1/2 way down. My wife loves jewelry (at my son's wedding a couple of months ago she was wearing 26 carets of diamonds!) and we have bought them all from Princess (gee maybe she thinks she is a princess!) We always deal with Harish there. One note - he may not be the cheapest but the quality is definetly there. If you go there tell him his friends in NE say hello!

Ive been directed to OMNI jewelers on St. Thomas.

Anyone have any other suggestions of Jewelers to go to?? Reputable, reliable, tried and true where you have gone back & purchased again on following cruises?

I've purchased on board as well, 5 pieces last

April on VOS between my mom and me (& a watch for my boy!!)

In December we will be in St. Thomas and we've designated that as beach and jewelry......:) just looking for the right shop to buy at!

We have been in St Thomas many, many times and the jewelry selections there are excellent. We've bought things at Cardow's and have always found them to be very good. :D One of our favorite stores is Grand Jewelers. We have gone back to them very often, and have always been satisfied with their merchandise and especially their friendliness. :p When we enter the store, we feel like we're back among friends and my wife always gets a big hug from Jay, the owner. Even if you don't buy anything, it's a nice place to browse. ;)

I think this is more of a personal choice question. Everyone probably has a favorite jewelry shop for a specific piece they purchased. With that said, my favorite shop is in St Thomas. They owner is very gracious, will work with you on the price and treats you like royality. The shop is located across the street in a small strip mall from the Port. On our last cruise there, I bought several beautiful pieces from him. He guarantees every piece and if you ever had a problem, can send it back to be repaired or get a full refund. He even gave us something to drink while we shopped....my DD loved the attention. LOL

I cannot wait until March to go back and visit him again.

If you are interested in the name of the shop, you can email me at AnneR40@yahoo.com.

Ive been directed to OMNI jewelers on St. Thomas.

Anyone have any other suggestions of Jewelers to go to?? Reputable, reliable, tried and true where you have gone back & purchased again on following cruises?

I've purchased on board as well, 5 pieces last

April on VOS between my mom and me (& a watch for my boy!!)

In December we will be in St. Thomas and we've designated that as beach and jewelry......:) just looking for the right shop to buy at!

I buy all my jewelry at Beverly's in Havensight. Have bought numerous pieces of jewelry from Jack at Beverly's. Everything I have every bought from there has appraised for close or more than double what I paid for it. If you go there, talk to Jack, and tell him Karen/Jerry from Orlando said "hi". I will always go there as he has earned my business by giving me great deals on really nice jewelry.

:) Over many cruises we have bought some wonderful pieces in St. Thomas and have also sent many friends to AJANTAS in Drakes Alley.

Talk to Sakina and tell them Tina sent you. We have had pieces we returned for sizing, pieces returned for construction problems and never had a problem with replacement by FedEx. We do have a jeweller at home who checks the pieces for value and faults as soon as we return and I would recommend this highly.:D

I found Grand Jewelers in St. Thomas on our first cruise. I haggled over a ring for a bit but didn't buy it (and of course, kicked myself later.) I went back a year later on my honeymoon and when browsing the display cases, the saleslady came up and said "I sold that black & white pearl ring you were looking at, but have another nice one" Needless to say, we've done all of our jewelry shopping there since...both on St. Thomas (with Varsha) and on St. Martin (with Mickey)

You are probably going to find more shops in St Tom both by the port and downtown but you will find the selections start to look the same as you go from shop to shop. Sizing may not be available so if it's a ring what you see may not fit so that's a resize when you get home.

Now look at the jewels onboard and make a list of prices and things you like. Then go shopping in St Tom and compare. If the price on the ship is better you'll have a chance to buy it on the way home. They will guantee for 1 year an dthey are easier to get hold of.

Now that you bought the "SERIOUS" piece of jewelry smile:D and then look up cause here comes the customs agent:( :eek: Let me see I paid :rolleyes:

On our last cruise to St. Thomas we went way over the alloted allowance. Because I knew I would be nervous walking off the boat wihtout declaring it, we declared everything. The custom agents looked at all of our receipts and stamped our papers and said that's okay, and didn't charge us any customs. With those stamped papers in hand I walked off relaxed.

I do think that I'll pull those receipts though for our next cruise just in case there's a question.

Just poppin' back in and I'm so excited to see all the different recommendations!

Well, the info puts me at ease. Ahhhh. :) Needless to say hearing the same opinions about varied shops is a good thing! Now I just hope for unique pieces that I wont see on many people!

Wow, so many shops to ponder...off to check for web sites.

GREAT INFO! THANKS SO MUCH!

DiamondHeart.gif

I buy all my jewelry at Imperial Jewelers on main st in st thomas. They have repaired pieces that have lost stones even after 5 years, they have taken tradeins for upgraded pieces and I have found pieces there that I haven't found anywhere in the states for much better prices. They remember my husband and I when we walk in, even if several years have passed between trips.

Everything has appraised for at least 2x what we paid for it

Enjoy but do your homework before you go.

As suggested, Im definitely going to do some more homework before we sail in December. Im torn on only going to the shops the cruise ship recommends because we have had amazing good fortune at a shop that wasnt recommended- at the same time a place that the ship did suggest specifically for Tiffany Jewelry was more of a ploy to get you into that specific shop. If you asked me today which it was I couldnt recall, but If i was standing in the square where the jewelry stores were Id be able to pick it out. This will sound crazy, but this was in Ocho Rios, a place Im sure not many purchase jewelry. I thought I would look around in the 30 minutes we had and if I found something Id buy it....Disappointed in the cruise rec'd shops I went into a random (but larger) one and my jeweler appraised it at over 2x the amount and had never seen a ring like it. So far I havent either, so I guess it is a designer specific to the islands? I get compliments on it every day.

(did I just say all that? lol)

Well, having said all that, this thread is exciting me for St Thomas and jewelry shopping!

diamonds.gifdiamonds.gif

I have bought all my jewelry from Joe's Jewelry in St Maarten. We first went in '99 and have been back probably 5 times or more and have always worked with Kelly and received excellent deals. All of my pieces have appraised for at least double what we paid. They are also on the approved vendor list from RCCL so you know they are reputiable. We will be going back in November and I am sure

Archived