if you love Celebrity BUT want a change????

motherchic

which ship would you recommend?

We have sailed on Celebrity's Millennium ships 4 times and totally enjoyed each one. We thought the food was excellent, the service excellent. We especially love the thallo pool area and eating in the formal dining room in the evening. We especially love the assigned dining ( as a way to get to know our companions )

Our last cruise was 14 day Panama canal cruise.

My only disappointment was that every thing was the "same" on every cruise.

The food though good was the exact same menu, the afternoon and evening activities where also the same (without allot of variety )

There is fun in exploring a new ship-trying new things. Its fun not knowing whats on a certain deck or which way to go. We are considering a cruise again. Probably Southern caribbean and would love to try a different cruise line. Do any of you true lovers of celebrity have a suggestion?

Many thanks

Nadine

motherchic, this is a question I've been turning over in my mind for about the past six months. If I were to try something different, I'd like it to be VERY different from Celebrity, just for variety's sake. I might look into one of those Windstar cruises, or a SeaDream or Seabourne "yacht" trip. The price points would be different, though, but since I am after something very different that kind of goes with the territory.

I could also see doing an "adventure" cruise, like with Cruise West. I also read about some small cruise line based in Fiji that goes around to various islands there (I can't recall the name, but it's popular with Australians and New Zealanders).

For now I'm sticking with Celebrity, but it sure is fun to shop around. And maybe when I see something really enticing, I'll "jump ship" and give it a try!

I have sailed Celebrity, HAL and Princess several times. Princess offers a great cruising experience. I like the choice of traditional dining or anytime dining. This gives you the choice of both worlds and you can pick what works for you. The past passenger program on Princess is far superior to what Celebrity offers. There are also many free upgrades given on the Princess ships that we have sailed on. Since all three are about the same overall, I really enjoy going from cruise line to cruise line to get a different experience, instead sticking with one and getting the same food and entertainment on every cruise. Another reason would be that, at least for Alaska, Princess is usually a lot cheaper than Celebrity for the same cabin and in many cases a better cabin.

Hi

I know what you mean, I love X ships and what they deliver! I often thought of changeing to RCI ´s RAdiance Class ships- as they are great ships. But then when I think about it- hm I would miss Cova Cafe, their Pastrys, the better food and so on... thats why I stay with cunard. The only exception is my next cruise on board the QM 2- as I was curious about that ship ever since.

Michael

Hi Motherchic !

I know how you feel. For the past several years, we have been extremely loyal to Celebrity, but I can see a day where that could come to an end.

The 2 Itineraries I have on my Radar, both belong to Princess. Emerald Princess has 2 different (and fantastic) 10 night Caribbean itineraries, on a brand new ship, sailing from Ft Lauderdale. Also, Coral Princess does a 10 night Round-Trip Partial Panama Canal sailing from Ft Lauderdale (Boy, do I wish Celebrity did an itinerary like that !!!), and I have heard great reviews about Coral, and that itinerary.

While Celebrity's food is better, I feel that Princess may be the most comparable overall. If I do book elsewhere, I would probably choose from 1 of the 2 ships above. Right now, I have 2 Cruises booked with Azamara, and 3 with Celebrity, so I am not going anywhere yet.

Why not make the itinerary your priority on your next cruise? Be adventurous!

I still haven't been brave enough to try Carnival, but HAL and Princess are both very nice. Princess has excellent champagne sherbert.

Also, Coral Princess does a 10 night Round-Trip Partial Panama Canal sailing from Ft Lauderdale (Boy, do I wish Celebrity did an itinerary like that !!!), and I have heard great reviews about Coral, and that itinerary.

Galaxy used to have an itinerary like that (partial-transit Panama Canal. I can't recall whether it was out of Florida or Galveston, but I ALMOST took it in 2006 instead of my Summit repo...

I'm not concerned about loyalty (not through any fault of Celebrity's, but because I feel I should sample before I settle down) and I'd like to try various lines, but if the OP is looking to remain loyal and do something totally different, why not consider an XPedition Galapagos Islands cruise?

Princess is at the top of my list for other lines I'd like to try, but I'd literally sail with ANYBODY if the details were right.

There is only ONE answer. The QE2.

She has only one more year in service and many cruises are already sold out.

She is a Liner built as a ship and not a Cruiser built of a stack of pre-fabricated cabin sections. She has wide main corridors and small ones off to the rooms. Not all elevators (lifts really :)) serve all decks which makes life interesting. There are three main dining options depending on the class of cabin you book. There is also a buffet.

She also provided (06) free shuttle buses.

As for Celebrity (Connie) menus, they are numbered 1-14 so each day of a 14 day cruise will be different but even dining high on the hog for 6 days out of 14 things were still getting samey - same starter(ish), same salad(ish), same desert(ish).

As someone said, the deserts all look different but taste the same.

I tried the QM2 in July of this year as I got a very good deal for a single supplement. I absolutely loved it and would cruise on her again in a minute.

I have cruised with Celebrity many times and like the others am used to her standards. What the trip on the QM taught me is to try new things and see what they have to offer.

Also cruised on Princess and loved it also but not so much as the QM2.

Sue

I just wondered if any other cruise lines have anything that compares with the thellasotherapy pool on the M class X ships?

We spend so much time in there that we have decided not to sail again on any ships where there is nothing like them. But, I too feel that we cannot just stick with X permanently, and I am constantly looking at deck plans of other ships/cruise lines for this type of pool, or at least an indoor pool.

I would be really grateful for any information.

Thanks

Lynne :)

I just wondered if any other cruise lines have anything that compares with the thellasotherapy pool on the M class X ships?

Thellasotherapu pools on C class of Celebrity. It's not free, but better.:D

For us Princess shares #1 place with Celebrity. We've only been on Caribbean Princess, which is huge with many people, who we didn't really noticed that much. Princess offered a lot of nice thing, but wasn't overwhelming.

Quite agree about the Thalasso pool. It is a year since I was on QE2. She had a small, deep pool at the stern, open air, but the water is like the Dead Sea. I could lie back with feet, knees and arms out of the water and read a book.

Not cold either once you got used to it :) Certainly warmer than Constellation's outdoor pools.

What about Celebrity's Azamara line. I was on the X website last night doing some homework and I think I recall seeing cruises to the Carribean on Azamara. It looked very nice!

They were certainly pushing Azamara for Mediterranean cruises in 2008 when we were on the Constellation. Very pig in the poke as there were no printed brouchures.

Supposedly smaller and more initmate than the Connie and no formal nights. Also more expensive, suggesed about 10% more.

I also like the pool very much. And used it everyday.

If it were just me I would happily try different ships etc.... but i will be traveling with my aunt and she loves the entire celebrity experience.

We both love celebrity but after our 4th cruise ( the 14 day-er ) we just felt everything was just a tad too much the "same". Where i could see my fellow CC'ers who were new to Celebrity just enjoying and loving every moment of their experience. My aunt and i will be cruising again- she would like to try something else but really liked the dining experience in the dining room on Celebrity

I will keep researching, but many thanks for your replies. Right now Princess sounds good.

Nadine

We seem to alternate between Princess and Celebrity for variety. They both seem to have high caliber service, but Celebrity has better food quality. Though Princess offers anytime dining as an option which opens up alot of flexibility, if that's what you're looking for. Both cruiselines are very closely comparible, and I would do either.

Consider Crystal. They have the features you like, but the ships carry about 950 people ... smaller crowd. I hear that they are adding a ship or two. I think they have been voted #1 cruiseline for 12 years in a row. Pricey ... we really enjoyed their NYC to Montreal cruise last fall.

We have sailed on Celebrity's Millennium ships 4 times and totally enjoyed each one. We thought the food was excellent, the service excellent. We especially love the thallo pool area and eating in the formal dining room in the evening. We especially love the assigned dining ( as a way to get to know our companions )

The food though good was the exact same menu, the afternoon and evening activities where also the same (without allot of variety )

There is fun in exploring a new ship-trying new things. Its fun not knowing whats on a certain deck or which way to go. We are considering a cruise again. Probably Southern caribbean and would love to try a different cruise line. Do any of you true lovers of celebrity have a suggestion?

Many thanks

Nadine

I would highly recommend Oceanic - they have great rates, if you book ahead and get lower rates that way or book one of their specials where it is 2 for 1 rates. You can also sail Transatlantic or Europe and get 2-1 rates with air included. Great pricing for some of these. Great food, beautiful ship. Let me know if you would like more info.

Many thanks

Nadine

Hi Nadine,

If you are trying to stay around the price point of Celebrity I would go with a Royal Radiance class ship first (they are beautiful and just the right size), HAL second (crowd little older but ships and food very good), Carnival third (in a suite of course during a time when kids are in school), with Princess coming in forth. And I would stay far away from NCL if you enjoy eating and care about the quality of your food.

Why in that order?

1. RCCL Radiance class - as stated above beautiful ships, just beautiful. New bedding is also very nice. Lots of activities as well and they have the adult only solariums which are awesome. I don't think the food is that great but it is not horrible by any means. Just not very exciting or varied in the dining room.

2. HAL any dam ship:p Again the ships are just beautiful, food is good quality and the bedding is very nice. Not as many activities in the evening which might be a concern. But if you are a food buff they have some very interesting culinary activities. Also oceanview cabins and above on most dam ships have a bath tub....very nice:D

3. Carnival - Okay most are afraid and I was as well to try them but I wouldn't rule them out. Why? I've eaten on NCL, Princess, RCCL and Carnival ships and Carnival has had the best food of all of them. Their beds are super comfy and rooms are well...roomy. There are lots of activities onboard even for folks like me who don't gamble, use the nightclub, play bingo, want to see a hairy chest contest or drink my themselves into a stuper.

4. Princess - Ships are nicely decorated but do not compare with the beauty of HAL and RCCL ships imho. To me they are like a Carnival ship on a good day when Joe Farcus (designer for Carnival) forgot to put his happy glasses. The food I had on Princess was very bland. But...they have some great itineraries. Cabins tend to be smaller and the beds compared with the lines above, do not compare in comfort.

If you don't mind spending more I would try Cunard as others have stated above, and if you don't mind a smaller ship then Oceania would be my choice. Awwwwwwwe.....Oceania. One day.:D

I would highly recommend Oceanic - they have great rates, if you book ahead and get lower rates that way or book one of their specials where it is 2 for 1 rates. You can also sail Transatlantic or Europe and get 2-1 rates with air included. Great pricing for some of these. Great food, beautiful ship. Let me know if you would like more info.

Yes, I would love more info about Oceanic.

...dining....daytime activities....etc....

many thanks

Yes, I would love more info about Oceanic.

...dining....daytime activities....etc....

many thanks

Hi Motherchic !

I think the poster was referring to Oceania. Here is the link to the Oceania board at Cruise Critic. You can get some excellent information there !

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51

3. Carnival - Okay most are afraid and I was as well to try them but I wouldn't rule them out. Why? I've eaten on NCL, Princess, RCCL and Carnival ships and Carnival has had the best food of all of them. Their beds are super comfy and rooms are well...roomy. There are lots of activities onboard even for folks like me who don't gamble, use the nightclub, play bingo, want to see a hairy chest contest or drink my themselves into a stuper.

I also was thinking that Carnival had a better food, than RCCL until our last cruise on RCCL Explorer. Food was definitely better and buffet set up was much easier and convenient.

Princess food was imho also nicer than Carnival's and seafood selection hard to beat.

Princess's overall ambience and crowd was better than RCCL's and MUCH better than Carnival's.

Princess (Grand Class) provides more intimate experience as ship is divided in smaller zones with two adult only pools.:)

Hi Motherchic !

I know how you feel. For the past several years, we have been extremely loyal to Celebrity, but I can see a day where that could come to an end.

The 2 Itineraries I have on my Radar, both belong to Princess. Emerald Princess has 2 different (and fantastic) 10 night Caribbean itineraries, on a brand new ship, sailing from Ft Lauderdale. Also, Coral Princess does a 10 night Round-Trip Partial Panama Canal sailing from Ft Lauderdale (Boy, do I wish Celebrity did an itinerary like that !!!), and I have heard great reviews about Coral, and that itinerary.

I know, Princess has the best itinerary's to Panama Canal in my opinion. Not only the Coral that you mention, but the sister Ship (is it Island?) has a ten day that appears to be a ful transit, Mexico to Ft Lauderdale. I'm only hesitating because it's Princess (I like full room service breakfast on port days, and they do not have it). Hal does the ten day roundtrip from Ft LD to Panama too, but the itinerarey is not as exotic as Princess.

But than again, we met people on HAL who have been on Celebrity and Princess and say the food on Princess is the best.

Archived