Firsthand sneak peak at Solstice (Merger of Several Threads)

Richard Stein

Thanks. Hopefully you're both right and we will have that overhang. I know most people don't like it, but we actually prefer it, especially with my DH illness. If they would just remove that darn big white tarp, maybe we could get a glimpse of the Resort Deck cabins.

Am I mistaken, or does it appear that the aft balcony cabins have virtually no overhang? We couldn't get an aft anyway, because all you snobs snatched them up so quickly!!!LOL

Hey, either way, we're going to love this cruise!

Jo-Ann

Jo-Ann, I think the main thing that makes me pretty sure that you will have the overhang is if you look at Andreas' picture link I posted and the deck below yours, there is a painted blue (?) line that runs along the line of the balcony below. That's the extent of your balcony line from what I can see and therefore there will be the overhang. In addition the deck plans show the same shape and dimensions for the Resort Deck as the other decks below.

I can't tell the extent of the overhang on the aft cabins on the Resort Deck, but I think you are right. It isn't as much.

The other thing to mention is that if you are in 2108, which is starboard, then that will be the shadier side of the ship on a Westbound TA across the Atlantic at that time of year. You should get to see the sunset too:cool:

Phil

There were some new details trotted out on the ship during a presentation in London last week (on my birthday, no less) and as I know folks always like the details, here's the link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2608

I think the shift away from "flea market" shopping will be promising if they do it. Our first Celebrity cruise and most recent cruise featured exactly the same stock that was "on clearance" during the pool-side sales.

Thank you, Schplinky! Hadn't seen this one! ;)

There were some new details trotted out on the ship during a presentation in London last week (on my birthday, no less) and as I know folks always like the details, here's the link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2608

I think the shift away from "flea market" shopping will be promising if they do it. Our first Celebrity cruise and most recent cruise featured exactly the same stock that was "on clearance" during the pool-side sales.

Thanks for sharing the preview with us.. seems it is going to be more like a shopping mall than in the past... more like the shops we found on QM2--all lovely & upscale, but stuff we could not really afford...Still hope they have some T shirts & logo wear for the rest of us!

The upgraded technology sounds nice..Can't wait to try some of the free stuff that is special! Did they mention anything that is free besides the directory? Also hope this means that e-mail will be faster than it has been...

Did they speak about the pools & also the planned type of entertainment--hope that too will be upgraded--but that they still have the pool bands & guitar player at the aft bars....

As the details fill in I am getting excited but also nervous hoping they retain the core of the Celebrity Experience...that's what has brought us back so many times.

I tell you, I have learned so much from this thread alone.

We were in cabin 7352. Look on the layout; that's the reason we moved - the wind looks as if it'll be a big factor indeed.

We're now in cabin 7302. The way I look at it, maybe the wind won't be so bad because it is buffeted by the hump somewhat.

Thanks to the guy who advised me about the wind, I really appreciate it.

Does deck 7 appear to be ok to everyone? We are so looking forward to going next year!

I was reading the brochure, the link for which was circulated a few pages back. Ther ewere a couple of details of Aqua Class that haven't been discussed. Those staying in that class will have a spa consierge to help you book appointments. I wonder if time will be held for AQ folk or if you will be able to book prior to the cruise?

Also, they say that AQ people will see daily deliveries of bottled water, juices and tea. Nice.

Hey Schplinky,

I didnt read about the free bottled water in AQ, but I really like the idea.

When taking into consideration, AQ-complimentary access to Perisian Garden-Normally 20$ a day, access to Blu-(without 30$ coverage), and the free water, its a given small difference between CC.

I am excited. Just leary about being right below the pool on the hump-3 cabins from the PH. Time will tell after the Soltice sails.

I am spending the weekend at the beach in Clearwater. Too hot, but a nice gentle breeze exists.

Hugs

Daph

I tell you, I have learned so much from this thread alone. We were in cabin 7352. Look on the layout; that's the reason we moved - the wind looks as if it'll be a big factor indeed.

We're now in cabin 7302. The way I look at it, maybe the wind won't be so bad because it is buffeted by the hump somewhat.

Does deck 7 appear to be ok to everyone? We are so looking forward to going next year!

You're welcome fellow swabby! 7302 looks like a good choice. The Sunrise deck (7) is between decks with cabins, so you don't have to worry about possible noise from public areas above or below you. Also your cabin is port side, which we usually choose if we can't get an aft. Usually the ship docks on that side, so you get views of the ports from your balcony. You also get to watch docking and undocking.... without having to 'participate'. (Ever throw a monkeyfist? ;-)

We watched an episode of Really Big Things on Discovery Channel the other night. The host visited the ship yard where Solstice is being built (same episode where they visit the beach dome in Germany and the US Postal sorting station). It was pretty uneventful until the end, when the host went into one of the mock ups of the room at the ship yard. You got a really good view of what the decorated room is going to look like.

Couple things stood out:

• The room had a leather couch (white, or a very light colour)
  • The closets faced into the room instead of the "hallway" when you come into the room.
  • The interlocking "bump" in the room looked quite pronounced
  • There was a higher level desk that looked kind of like a bar facing the couch.
  • The colours were pretty subdued.
  • The balcony looked a good size.

I tried to grab a screen capture of the image, but my software won't let me grab an image if the DVD player is running.

If the episode plays again, check it out.

Mike

I tell you, I have learned so much from this thread alone.

We were in cabin 7352. Look on the layout; that's the reason we moved - the wind looks as if it'll be a big factor indeed.

Well I sure hope Deck 7 will be okay. We are in 7356 and am looking forward to the aft corner.

We watched an episode of Really Big Things on Discovery Channel the other night. The host visited the ship yard where Solstice is being built (same episode where they visit the beach dome in Germany and the US Postal sorting station). It was pretty uneventful until the end, when the host went into one of the mock ups of the room at the ship yard. You got a really good view of what the decorated room is going to look like.

Couple things stood out:

• The room had a leather couch (white, or a very light colour)
  • The closets faced into the room instead of the "hallway" when you come into the room.
  • The interlocking "bump" in the room looked quite pronounced
  • There was a higher level desk that looked kind of like a bar facing the couch.
  • The colours were pretty subdued.
  • The balcony looked a good size.

I tried to grab a screen capture of the image, but my software won't let me grab an image if the DVD player is running.

If the episode plays again, check it out.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I am so frustrated. This is the 3rd time I have read of this program "Really Big Things" being broadcast but for the life of me I cannot find out when it is broadcast. Even on the discovery Channel web site it does not tell.

Would you be so kind as to alert us next time you notice it coming on.

Thanks

Hi Mike,

I am so frustrated. This is the 3rd time I have read of this program "Really Big Things" being broadcast but for the life of me I cannot find out when it is broadcast. Even on the discovery Channel web site it does not tell.

Would you be so kind as to alert us next time you notice it coming on.

Thanks

I'm Mike's "other half" so I hope you don't mind my answering. We see that show on the Canadian version of the Discovery channel and it doesn't really sync up with your version of the channel. That can be annoying for us, when we hear a new show is on and it isn't on here! The Travel Channel is the same way. Our travel channel has about 30% of what yours does and then we get a bunch of Canadian shows thrown in.

Hi Mike- Two questions...for what you saw for the mock up, does it seem much different that the floor plans, and, what is the interlocking bump you referred to, I am trying to visualize that... Thanks!

It looked identical to the floor plan, but I find it helps to see the room in real life to get the proportions.

The bump I am referring to is illustrated in the attached photo. It seemed more pronounced in real life.

Mike

room.jpg.e14c7150f96a242bb173a4ebe93ed66d.jpg

Thanks Mike....you know I never paid attention to that area you circled to illustrate this! Now I am pondering how that fits into the cabin next to it.

The new pictures from Gitte are pretty amazing too!

Someone posted a while ago that every second floor plan is reversed, so that the "interlocking" bump-outs (at the bottom of the bed) fit together, and that the walls behind the bed back onto one another and are always straight. I'm guessing that this would mean that one room will have the bed by the window and the next will have the sofa by the window.

Now I'm waiting to see if this, in fact, is the case, and also to find out how one would know which kind of cabin they have booked...one with the sofa by the window, or the bed by the window. Not an issue for me one way or another, but enquiring minds like to know :p .

Since they have not marked it on the plans I guess it'll be by word of mouth or a sep thread on the boards once people get on board --we would prefer the couch by the balcony door & bed close to the bathroom.. but no way to tell that..will the interlocking bump give more room to get around the foot of the bed?

I believe that the bed-by-the-window cabins are ocean view, not balcony.

ocean_view_schematic_lg.jpg

Well, the cabin next to you would be the opposite of yours, to fit together with the shape of the bump...One cabin would have the bed by the balcony door, the next would have the bed by the closet and so on. The extra space from the bump would always be at the foot of the bed.

I wouldn't think they would alternate oceanview, then balcony, then oceanview etc...

Well, the cabin next to you would be the opposite of yours, to fit together with the shape of the bump...One cabin would have the bed by the balcony door, the next would have the bed by the closet and so on. The extra space from the bump would always be at the foot of the bed.

I wouldn't think they would alternate oceanview, then balcony, then oceanview etc...

Hi Mike in Ottawa :) :

That's the way I'm reading it too.

From the looks of the isometric drawing that you posted, I'm wondering if the rooms are a bit narrower than we're used to on the M-Class ships, and that's why the bump-out is at the bottom of the bed. You can't really rely on drawings, but that sofa looks closer to the desk than it is in M-class CC staterooms, which are close to the same square footage as AQ/Balcony cabins on the Solstice.

So given the perpendicular orientation of the closet to the wall, do you think the cabins are longer but slightly narrower than the M-Class Concierge Class staterooms?

I'm sure I've crossed the line from interest into obsession. :p How excited are we all going to be when someone can actually report back from a sailing of the Solstice?

You're welcome fellow swabby! 7302 looks like a good choice. The Sunrise deck (7) is between decks with cabins, so you don't have to worry about possible noise from public areas above or below you. Also your cabin is port side, which we usually choose if we can't get an aft. Usually the ship docks on that side, so you get views of the ports from your balcony. You also get to watch docking and undocking.... without having to 'participate'. (Ever throw a monkeyfist? ;-)

Denb, we're on starboard...I purposely picked that spot, because when the ship comes through the straits of Messina on her way back north to Civitavecchia, I will be seeing the Italian coastline...which is well known for topless beaches galore up and down! All I really need is my binoculars and a gin&tonic....priceless, makes me think back to my navy days, where most of the time I was holed up in radio central!

Old squids never forget the sights in the med! Did you ever make any port visits to Benidorm Spain? My first ship, Forrestal, anchored out there in 81 and 82...GREAT port visit indeed, I wonder if cruise ships go there?

Denb, we're on starboard...

All I really need is my binoculars and a gin&tonic....priceless, makes me think back to my navy days, where most of the time I was holed up in radio central! Old squids never forget the sights in the med! Did you ever make any port visits to Benidorm Spain?

I was thinking starboard and typed port! How could I do that?!

My drink of the day when off the ship was also gin.... in a Tom Collins. I was holed up (way up) in the directories as a FCT.

Never made the Med, as scuttlebutt was that our ship had a hairline crack in the hull and had to stay in the Carib because it couldn't withstand the crossing again. We'd watch divers go down and check it out between cruises. My brother was also in the Navy and was stationed in the Azores for a while.

Possibly, but I don't see that as providing enough room to get to the balcony door.

Alternate OV and Balcony is just silly. I was merely trying to point out that the only schematics currently available of bed-by-window is of the OV cabins.

ocean_view_schematic_.jpg

Archived