COMPLAINERS UNITE! What Can Royal Do Better?

I love Royal but no cruise line is perfect. There's always room for improvement. What would you like to see Royal do or change to make your cruise experience more enjoyable.

Edited by Host Kewlguy

-Better Coffee

-Fewer announcements

-Adjust their Canadian $ pricing

But as you say, no cruise line is perfect... if this is the worst thing I can say about RCCL I guess I'll be cruising them again soon.

We enjoyed our cruise and have another booked...but I agree, there is room for improvement.

We thought the rock wall needed to be open more!!!!! That is the big attraction and it was hardly ever opened. Many times it was opened and then closed due to being short staffed????

Johnny Rockets should be free. We never saw a line and we were there in August! We were the only people in there and never saw a show or another person!

On my 10/12 Explorer cruise the finger foods,at the meet and mingle,welcome back party,platinum party were bad,ho hum.The rest of the food no real complaints.The menus are like Appleby's,how about a hard cover please.How about trays in the buffet

I agree with Rick T that most of my improvements are minor, but I hope that RCL does not abandon the Voyager and smaller class ships in favor of Freedom and Genesis class ships. I started sailing in late 90's and thus that experience is what I really liked and see it slipping away.

As an overall comment, I think the changes cruise lines are making: is that cruising is becoming too much like a land based vacation with the ability to do what you can on land, ie bowling, ice skating, etc. What a wasted opportunity to try alternatives. The orginal lure of cruising was the fine dining, the sea, the ports of call, dancing, gambling, shows, clubs, bars, NOT bring a traditional land based vacation on a ship as that was what is was for me in the late 90's. Understand the wooing of families changes a lot of the dynamics.

Secondly, I think they need to preserve fixed dining, formal nights (think this is a losing battle). The problem with fixed dining now is the opportunity to enjoy an alternative restaurant during the cruise. One could argue here that the specialty restuarant experience was what used to be in the main dining room. We sailed in late spring 2007 where the table for 8 next to our table for 8 (all one group) had only 2 people at it for 3 of the 7 nights. Don't think that is what the 2 people signed up for when they signed up for fixed dining at a table for 8. So, potentially 6 people had options and did what they wanted, but one could argue that the 2 did not get what they 'signed on' for with the cruise line.

Having said the above on other cruises, I have enjoyed the speciality restaurants, so I can't be too critical. My favorite speciality restaurant is on Celebrity. I personally really enjoy the RCL branded products (RCL and Celebrity). :)

Another vote for an improved (more options) Room Service menu.

Open Seating in the main dining room.

Reduce the cost of Bingo - $70/$140 per day is a bit much for two people.

Include a Mexican Specialty Restaurant.

Build more Radiance Class Ships.

Enforce Adult Only Policies.

Thats it for now :D

###

I'd like them to copy the waffle station that Celebrity has in its buffet restaurants and offer a good lecture series on its longer cruises that have a lot of sea days. Unless they can actually devise a system that offers both traditional and open dining successfully, I believe that they should stick with what they do best - traditional dining. No need to try to be everything to everybody. :)

I'd like them to copy the waffle station that Celebrity has in its buffet restaurants and offer a good lecture series on its longer cruises that have a lot of sea days. Unless they can actually devise a system that offers both traditional and open dining successfully, I believe that they should stick with what they do best - traditional dining. No need to try to be everything to everybody. :)

My thoughts, exactly! :)

I'd also like to see RCCL offer a lower single supplement.

Have an adults only cruise once per month, various ships and itineraries. If it proves successful (and I'm thinking it would just from reading these boards over the past few years) they could add even more sailings.

I'm not against kids/families on cruise ships I just think that it would be a nice option now and then.

Very good comments. I would like to see as RC brings on more Freedom/Genesis class vessels, they try something different with one of the Radiance Class ships. Make it suites only, up the prices per cabin, and corresponding up the food, entertainment, and the "sizzle" factor for the ship. Focus on having different exotic itineraries, etc. Have your RC points work on this new class of ship. Think QMII meets Windjammer.

Haven't really fleshed it out, but I believe there would be no trouble filling the ship throughout the year. Start small - we'll be there.

I think they should have a TRUE 24 hour buffett. The Windjammer was closed between lunch and Tea and between Tea and Dinner. Also, if you are hungry late night the only option is room service which is a pathetic menu and that Coffeebar/Cafe in the promenade that serves finger sandwiches and soggy pizza.

In addition, they should have a poolside grill for hamburgers and hotdogs etc..

I think of all the cruise lines RCCL has the worst food venues to choose from.

Improve the food in the MDR.

Raise the prices for the specialties.

Establish and enforce a dress code for the MDR.

Enforce dining times in the MDR. Doors close 15 minutes after serving time. No entrance after that.

Allow each pax to bring aboard a bottle for in cabin consumption. Place a $50 per bottle fine on anything smuggled that exceeds the limit.

They need to put the room service menu back in the room! You have pull it up on the tv which stinks if someone is watching a movie and you want a snack!

Actually,on the JW ,it was in one of the hard cover books on the table.....we asked the steward where the blue directory book was with all that info....he then showed us it was all in that book........

MORE RADIANCE CLASS SHIPS!!

and

Leave them in the Carribbean during June and July. Then move them out before August Hurricane season.

The one thing Princess has over RCI is the 24-HOUR restaurant/Windjammer. RCI needs that..... or at least make the Seaview Cafe 24 hours. That would be GREAT!

Keep the dance music in the Lounge with the LARGE dance floor. - - Had the dance band upstairs in the Viking Lounge with a "Postage-Stamp" dance floor, and the "Kareoke" (does NOT need a dance floor) in the dance lounge. :confused: duh...

The food has become "mass produced" and bland. The $3000 cruisers should not have to spend an ADDITIONAL $20 for a decent cruise meal.

:o ok..... I feel better now......

Thanks, Kewlguy, for the release...;)

Although RCCL is not my favorite cruiseline, some in my regular cruising group love them. I admit they are pretty good, but here are some things I dislike about RCCL.

-Smoking in the cabins. How does that harm anyone.

-Allow bottle purchases for in room comsumption. I dont mind paying an extra fee to bring to the room. I guess I will still have to bring my own.

-Cook a good steak. I havent been able to get a good steak on the last two RCCL cruises. Even in the specialty restaurant. Celebrity had awesome meats in the dining room. The best I have ever had on a cruise.

-Sports channel. I dont care for south american ESPN.

-Pizza. Pizza was phenominal on Navigator this year. They should be more consistant with all ships.

-Paying for Johnny rockets. The food is crap, who would pay for that. I always pay for it the next day. Although the milkshakes are pretty good.

Not to knock RCCL as they have there advantages in some areas but I am a booze and food guy.

1. I agree - more Radiance Class ships.

2. Establish a Youth Security Patrol from 8pm to 3am every night. Send those under 18 yrs. back to their parents at midnight. Encourage them to be quieter & better behaved until then. Call parents when there's a problem.

3. Improve the quality of food and the menus.

4. Do muster indoors in comfortable surroundings not packed in like sardines on deck.

5. Promote a friendlier Purser's Desk staff by rewarding those that have outstanding customer service.

;)

MORE RADIANCE CLASS SHIPS!!

and

Leave them in the Carribbean during June and July. Then move them out before August Hurricane season.

The one thing Princess has over RCI is the 24-HOUR restaurant/Windjammer. RCI needs that..... or at least make the Seaview Cafe 24 hours. That would be GREAT!

Keep the dance music in the Lounge with the LARGE dance floor. - - Had the dance band upstairs in the Viking Lounge with a "Postage-Stamp" dance floor, and the "Kareoke" (does NOT need a dance floor) in the dance lounge. :confused: duh...

The food has become "mass produced" and bland. The $3000 cruisers should not have to spend an ADDITIONAL $20 for a decent cruise meal.

:o ok..... I feel better now......

Thanks, Kewlguy, for the release...;)

Good post!!

I agree, thanks T :D

###