All this negativity is making me nuts!!

sgttami

We leave Sunday...can't wait, but the couple we are travelling with started complaining yesterday, when I clued her in that you should not wearing Jeans to the dining room. She flipped and couldn't believe it. Now seems like she is mad at me....look I don't make the rules, then eat somewhere else, but you haven't even left yet and your mad....ITS A VACATION! RELAX!

I am afraid if I answered that one I would be banned from here for life. :mad:

I am a New Yorker. I personally knew people who did not make it, some who did.

I have seen the callous answers to posts on here from people who complain because they lost cruising time while the ship searched for a missing person, etc.

Complained because they could not go in to a port even though they knew the whole island was flattened by a hurricane and there was no town, no homes and no dock. :(

Our society has become a ? :confused:

I was in NYC on 9/11 so I agree with you 1 million percent!

And I would be banned 4 life too, at least under THIS screen name, if I replied as my brain tells me to in some of these whiner threads!

Of course my life would not grind to a halt if I could not post here anymore, that is for sure!

Fortunately that quote on the bottom tends to keep me in line.

I wish more people would see it that way!

Thank you all for the positive feedback and kind words.

Last year my son went on his honeymoon cruise (not RCL) and the ship was delayed coming into NY due to a rescue search for a missing passenger. So instead of sailing on time, they never boarded till 10PM and the ship didn't leave until 4AM. Good note: The cruiseline called them that morning and told them not to arrive before 7PM. No flights involved for them, just a change in limo pickup. According to my son, people were complaining for days that they didn't get enough compensation.!! Each passenger got a $50 OBC.

They did a tour arranged through the ship and were in a taxi accident in St. Thomas. No one was hurt but the tour wasn't completed since they were tied up with the police. They got back to the ship late and some of the tour passengers were complaining that it was the cruiseline's fault that they had the taxi accident.!!! Unbelievable! They were refunded the price of the excursion plus a complimentary dinner at one of the alternative restaurants. People were still whining that is wasn't enough!

In their words, "we had a blast and can't wait to go on another." Of course, winning $900 at Bingo was part of their enthusiasm, I'm sure!!

Love the link for the non alcoholic whine!!!

Smooth sailing...

Pam

The other day on the news, they were saying why road rage violence is on the rise. And it may explain why people are quick to complain and be impatient. According to the news, people are getting programmed to expect things instantly because of all the electronics we use today. On your I-pod hit a button, the song comes up instantly. You click on a web site, it comes up instantly. You click on a few buttons on your cell phone and instantly it dials a friend. It makes sense that our brains are getting reprogrammed to expect things instantly because of the electronics. And when real world things happen, and results are not in an instant, people have a problem with it. I work both full time and a part time job in retail. I'm noticing people are getting more and more impatient and quick to complain these days than in the past.

I get a chuckle out of most of the whiners ... the Pre-Complainer really made my day! Seriously, though, I know that folks have legitimate grips sometimes, but I guess it's just too easy to get online and vent! Traveling is an adventure, no matter how or where you go, don't let a few glitches ruin your trip!

30 degrees outside, ice & snow on the ground ... I'm ready for my next adventure! Guess I have to wait until January, though!

Thank you all for the positive feedback and kind words.

Last year my son went on his honeymoon cruise (not RCL) and the ship was delayed coming into NY due to a rescue search for a missing passenger. So instead of sailing on time, they never boarded till 10PM and the ship didn't leave until 4AM. Good note: The cruiseline called them that morning and told them not to arrive before 7PM. No flights involved for them, just a change in limo pickup. According to my son, people were complaining for days that they didn't get enough compensation.!! Each passenger got a $50 OBC.

They did a tour arranged through the ship and were in a taxi accident in St. Thomas. No one was hurt but the tour wasn't completed since they were tied up with the police. They got back to the ship late and some of the tour passengers were complaining that it was the cruiseline's fault that they had the taxi accident.!!! Unbelievable! They were refunded the price of the excursion plus a complimentary dinner at one of the alternative restaurants. People were still whining that is wasn't enough!

In their words, "we had a blast and can't wait to go on another." Of course, winning $900 at Bingo was part of their enthusiasm, I'm sure!!

Love the link for the non alcoholic whine!!!

Smooth sailing...

Pam

Correct me if I'm wrong but the name of this web site is Cruise Critic, is it not? Therefore this is the perfect place to gripe about things you're not happy about or feel the need to vent about. I enjoy reading both positive and negative posts. The only thing that gets under my skin are the whiners who whine about the whiners. If you don't like a certain thread just don't read it. That's what I do and it works every time.

I have notice some people may post something like "I heard the live bands are being done away with" and the next thing you know people are jumping down their back about complaining. Some topics are brought up I think for discussion but others start accusing op's of complaining.

If we all just had the same opinion and never pointed out any negatives this board would get boring really fast and you wouldn't see so many posters on it everyday.

And some of you are really being whiny about the whiners which is too funny!!! :D

30 degrees outside, ice & snow on the ground ... I'm ready for my next adventure! Guess I have to wait until January, though!

Greetings from Southern VA. :) No snow here, but it is cold. I was griping about possibly getting a dusting of snow until my parents (in northern Maine) sent me a pic of the foot of snow in their driveway. LOL Even still, I sooooooo wish I was on a cruise in January.

Ok, that was off topic. Sorry. ;)

After reading some of the replies to this thread, I felt obliged to add my 2 cents, so, here goes.

A few years ago, we spent a week in Daytona Beach. It rained virtually every day, all day long, for the entire week. Did we complain about the rain? Sure. But, we WERE in Daytona Beach. Did we enjoy the trip. Yes!

Then there was the long Christmas weekend we spent in Frankenmuth a couple of years ago. The temperature dipped to -9 degrees and the wind was wicked. Did we complain about the weather? Yes. But, we WERE in Frankenmuth. Did we enjoy the trip. We sure did!

Then there was a week we spend in Cape Hatteras when a tropical storm came in and caused flooding restricting us to the rental unit for a couple of days. Did we complain? Yes. But, we WERE in Cape Hatteras. Did we enjoy the trip. You bet your sweet bippi we did!

Then there was our first cruise on the Mariner of the Seas. A passenger fell overboard and was not recovered. Did we complain about all of the cabin searches and rumors onboard? Yes. BUT........we WERE on the Mariner of the Seas. Did we enjoy our cruise. Damned Right we did!

My point is that we didn't let the little things ruin our trips. We made the best of the situations, and enjoyed our time together as a family. $5 per day isn't going to break the bank. No lobester in the dining room isn't going to cause me to starve. A club not having a live band isn't going to ruin my evening spent with my wife sharing a bottle of wine on our balcony. Ignore the small things. Enjoy your time onboard. It sure beats spending 8 plus hours a day at work. Doesn't it? Just my opinion. Thanks for letting me vent.

Thanks for all of the positive remarks. It is refreshing.

Rusty

As I tell people who complain about their job... "If you don't like it (RCI Changes) find something else." I hate when people complain and don't do anything to change the situation.

YES!!

People at work are on to me, tho: when they complain about the job, I start sending them job openings and links to recruiting sites. Shuts them up pretty quick, at least around me.

everyone is in control of their own happiness. I choose to be happy.

I do think that some complaints are legit but writing to the cruise line as one poster did BEFORE you cruise is totally ridiculous. I know that I am going to get flamed big time for this but I have thick skin. Cruising IMHO changed when the cruise lines lowered the price of cruising to attract the masses. It brought on a whole new type of cruiser. CHEAP cruisers!!!!!! They want their filet mignon, lobster and champagne for a hundred bucks a day. They bring their roll on coolers full of soft drinks and water to save money as if they were going camping. They want a refund, OBC or upgrade from the cruise line when the price drops but let the cruise line ask for a fuel surcharge and all hell breaks loose. The boards have not been fun lately but this is the future of mass market cruising.

YES!!

People at work are on to me, tho: when they complain about the job, I start sending them job openings and links to recruiting sites. Shuts them up pretty quick, at least around me.

everyone is in control of their own happiness. I choose to be happy.

OMG will you e-mail my DH???????? ;) He comes home every night complaining about his job. At least I can walk away when I am here... we used to carpool... :eek:

I admit, I will complain about something that I think is wrong or unfair.... but there will never be a day that I let something ruin my hard earned vacations. We have had some disasters of vacations... gives me something to sit back and laugh about when I need a good laugh.

Yes it sure has changed over the years, and not for the better. It reminds me of the early years in AOL chatrooms. Not only the negativity but the same questions over and over. I really think that in order for you to post you should first have to pass a test on using the search function.

I have to politely disagree with you on this point. The search feature is not always accurate, it can be time consuming as well as frustrating. New people here should feel free to ask whatever questions they so desire and posters who have been on numerous cruises should be happy to help out.

If most people used the search feature, Cruise Critic would be about 5 pages long and the information could be outdated. If you choose to use the search feature, go ahead but don't expect everyone to do it. If you don't care for the responses or topic choices, don't click on that thread. There are many threads I never bother with because I pretty much know what the responses will be, year after year. Many topics are covered over and over, but why should only posters who have been around a while have the privilege to ask and answer?

If you don't care for a particular poster, add them to your ignore list. I've only done this once, but my curiosity got the better of me and I took him off my list.

I think this particular board is rather friendly in comparison to many out there. The moderators do a great job of eliminating inflammatory threads and keeping the boards pleasant. Some may not agree with me, but I'm not easily offended and other boards (not just cruise boards) I can't tolerate reading they are so rude to each other.

Mr. & Mrs. Whiner, oh, that's funny!!! Excellent post. My husband and I wholeheartedly agree. Some folks just do not get it. Let's just hope that they really in truly cancel their cruises (oh, how juvenile) so that the rest of us can get on with the absolutely fabulous cruise experience that RCI provides for us. We don't need lobster, a surcharge does not change our lifestyle (winning the lottery does) nor do we care whether or not the ship has a live band in every lounge and in the theatre. Let's band together and post "THINK POSITIVE!" to every negative post we see.

I do think that some complaints are legit but writing to the cruise line as one poster did BEFORE you cruise is totally ridiculous. I know that I am going to get flamed big time for this but I have thick skin. Cruising IMHO changed when the cruise lines lowered the price of cruising to attract the masses. It brought on a whole new type of cruiser. CHEAP cruisers!!!!!! They want their filet mignon, lobster and champagne for a hundred bucks a day. They bring their roll on coolers full of soft drinks and water to save money as if they were going camping. They want a refund, OBC or upgrade from the cruise line when the price drops but let the cruise line ask for a fuel surcharge and all hell breaks loose. The boards have not been fun lately but this is the future of mass market cruising.

Wow, we are thinking the exact same things lately Gordon!! I agree raise the price or lower expectations.

###

I've been on these boards for several years and cruised prior to discovering the boards. Overall, it's been a great experience.

I've met some wonderful people through CC and retained friendships with some from the very beginning whether it was on a cruise or chatting on the boards, or way back.. when a group of NJ cruisers formed and bonded and are still friends that get together!!.

Lately, the negativity is overwhelming.

Fuel surcharges, no lobster, horrible embarkation, no live bands, poor food, poor service, formal wear, etc..The list goes on..

A truly seasoned cruiser/traveler knows that anything can happen. Itineraries are diverted due to storms. Rough seas happen. People jump overboard and "screw up" your trip!, flights are cancelled, some don't dress for formal night, oh well.. etc...SHI* Happens!!

Had to vent...leaving in 9 days on EOS from Bayonne. C'mon people, focus on the positive. It's getting really depressing reading about everyone's negatives!!

Fuel surcharge: $5.00 pp...heck, it's less than the Drink of the Day which people would gladly pay double for!!!

Smooth sailing....

Pam

Anyone who loves to cruise knows that there is always the unexpected

-- we see this when flying, taking the train, or driving to mention but a few means of getting around. The fuel surcharges, COMBINED with all sorts of annoying cutbacks are not accidents, but directed at saving money regardless of how passengers feel -- this is definitely not like a Captain who decides not to stop at given port or shore excursions which are delayed or cancelled because of unfavorable weather conditions. Any negativism is warranted by those who spend time and money wanting to have a vacation they can enjoy and remember.:

Happy holidays to all and health and happiness in the New Year.(

Ahem .............................

"Cruise Critic's Cruise boards, as well as the information you read in our Member's Cruise Review Library, and our Cruiser's Choice Poll are designed to help cruisers obtain unbiased cruise-related information and discuss ways to make cruising more enjoyable, and perhaps even offer you a money-saving tip or two!"

"The fundamental concept is that you should NOT totally rely upon the information or opinions you read. Rather, you should use what you read here as starting points for doing independent research on cruise lines, ships, hotels, shore excursions and bargain-hunting techniques. Then judge for yourself the merits of the material that has been shared in our forum."

Merry Cruisemas and Happy New Booking!:D :) :p ;)

I have to agree with you 100% you left out liquor smuggling(packing) too. Some of the problems also come from some of these people reading the threads and hearing how the cruise lines are taking so advantage of everyone, and ripping them off. They have no concept of how businesses operate, and really have no idea that if it wasn't for the cruise lines and their concepts to make it affordable to the masses, these people would never board a ship, and experience what some of us have done for years. I can live with it as to us it is just as fun as it was years ago, sometimes even better. A great new show on every new adventure. I just wish the unhappy people would quit giving their money to the cruise lines they say are ripping them off, nickel and diming,etc. etc. etc. and find somewhere else to go.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the name of this web site is Cruise Critic, is it not? Therefore this is the perfect place to gripe about things you're not happy about or feel the need to vent about. I enjoy reading both positive and negative posts. The only thing that gets under my skin are the whiners who whine about the whiners. If you don't like a certain thread just don't read it. That's what I do and it works every time.

Exactly!

Oops. I just read this entire thread.:o

I love when people post their reviews and experiences on their cruise. Put ten people on the same trip and you will have ten different opinions. That's fine by all means.

What gets me is people "threatening" to cancel their trip because of surcharges, or looking for comps that aren't warranted and blaming the cruiseline when the least little bit goes awry..

Honestly, if I hadn't cruised before CC, some posts would scare the wits out of me!! When you open a negative thread and start reading, it's hard to stop!!

I have a family member who should be Mr. Gloom N Doom...if he knows you are excited about a cruise, he will proceed to tell you everything negative: "The weather forecast for your cruise is terrible."

" Your embarkation port is a nightmare"

"Cocktapoopalopolous norovirus was on your ship."

You get my drift!!

I'm going on a cruise in a week, so I want to read upbeat things!!!

Sorry KEWLGUY there are thing to criticize about and there are things to "let roll off your back like water on a duck."

99 and 44/100ths percent of the world can tell the difference as to what is legit and when it is time to quit!

I love when people post their reviews and experiences on their cruise. Put ten people on the same trip and you will have ten different opinions. That's fine by all means.

What gets me is people "threatening" to cancel their trip because of surcharges, or looking for comps that aren't warranted and blaming the cruiseline when the least little bit goes awry..

Honestly, if I hadn't cruised before CC, some posts would scare the wits out of me!! When you open a negative thread and start reading, it's hard to stop!!

I have a family member who should be Mr. Gloom N Doom...if he knows you are excited about a cruise, he will proceed to tell you everything negative: "The weather forecast for your cruise is terrible." (Answer I heard it was smooth sailing the whole way!)

" Your embarkation port is a nightmare" (Answer: Never has been before!)

"Cocktapoopalopolous norovirus was on your ship." (Answer: I'm immune to that virus!)

You get my drift!!

I'm going on a cruise in a week, so I want to read upbeat things!!!

See above snappy answers to his silly remarks!

Sounds line "Mr. Gloom & Doom" is jealous of your vacation to me!

Here is an upbeat comment! HAVE A BLAST!!!!!

Then why did you read us? Sorry, I could not resist. ;) :)

I am just kidding with you. :) I respect your opinion. You are not a whiner.

We are all entitled to ours too. ;)

Right you are! ;)

Archived