All this negativity is making me nuts!!

sgttami

I've been on these boards for several years and cruised prior to discovering the boards. Overall, it's been a great experience.

I've met some wonderful people through CC and retained friendships with some from the very beginning whether it was on a cruise or chatting on the boards, or way back.. when a group of NJ cruisers formed and bonded and are still friends that get together!!.

Lately, the negativity is overwhelming.

Fuel surcharges, no lobster, horrible embarkation, no live bands, poor food, poor service, formal wear, etc..The list goes on..

A truly seasoned cruiser/traveler knows that anything can happen. Itineraries are diverted due to storms. Rough seas happen. People jump overboard and "screw up" your trip!, flights are cancelled, some don't dress for formal night, oh well.. etc...SHI* Happens!!

Had to vent...leaving in 9 days on EOS from Bayonne. C'mon people, focus on the positive. It's getting really depressing reading about everyone's negatives!!

Fuel surcharge: $5.00 pp...heck, it's less than the Drink of the Day which people would gladly pay double for!!!

Smooth sailing....

Pam

I've been on these boards for several years and cruised prior to discovering the boards. Overall, it's been a great experience.

I've met some wonderful people through CC and retained friendships with some from the very beginning whether it was on a cruise or chatting on the boards, or way back.. when a group of NJ cruisers formed and bonded and are still friends that get together!!.

Fuel surcharges, no lobster, horrible embarkation, no live bands, poor food, poor service, formal wear, etc..The list goes on..

A truly seasoned cruiser/traveler knows that anything can happen. Itineraries are diverted due to storms. Rough seas happen. People jump overboard and "screw up" your trip!, flights are cancelled, some don't dress for formal night, oh well.. etc...SHI* Happens!!

Had to vent...leaving in 9 days on EOS from Bayonne. C'mon people, focus on the positive. It's getting really depressing reading about everyone's negatives!!

Fuel surcharge: $5.00 pp...heck, it's less than the Drink of the Day which people would gladly pay double for!!!

Smooth sailing....

Pam

Amen Sister!!! I thought I was the only one who felt this way! Enjoy your cruise.......and hope you have calm seas and good weather!

Smooth sailing....

Pam

Yep, I usually just read and laugh at all the whining. My Freedom (JS) cruise in January is about the same price as my Sovereign (interior) cruise in 1991. True, some of the stuff I liked on the ships in the past may be gone but there's a lot of new stuff I like to. Right now there's not enough negative to spoil my desire to cruise with RCI.

Smooth sailing....

Pam

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, finally a positive post.

Well said. You are not alone.

Bravo!

I even told my husband, who doesn't read these boards, how bad it is to open them now. It is like Cruise Critic has become Cruise Gripe Center about ridiculous minor things.

A loss of a skimpy little piece of lobster is going to stop someone from sailing on a certain cruise line. Give me a break!

How many posts on page 1 are nothing but gripes of one thing or another.

Years ago a cruise was a cruise. Things went wrong and we learned to cope and handle it without whining for days on end. I sailed on one ship many years ago where some of us had no toilets off and on for two or three days. Did we like it? No! Did we have a choice? No! Did the ship like it? NO! We survived. Went on to sail her again 5 times. We got no compensation. There was no such thing for a broken toilet.

Sorry, it has changed so much that everyone wants a free cruise for nothing now a days.

Flame a way. :rolleyes: :D

Bravo!

I even told my husband, who doesn't read these boards, how bad it is to open them now. It is like Cruise Critic has become Cruise Gripe Center about ridiculous minor things.

A loss of a skimpy little piece of lobster is going to stop someone from sailing on a certain cruise line. Give me a break!

How many posts on page 1 are nothing but gripes of one thing or another.

Years ago a cruise was a cruise. Things went wrong and we learned to cope and handle it without whining for days on end. I sailed on one ship many years ago where some of us had no toilets off and on for two or three days. Did we like it? No! Did we have a choice? No! Did the ship like it? NO! We survived. Went on to sail her again 5 times. We got no compensation. There was no such thing for a broken toilet.

Sorry, it has changed so much that everyone wants a free cruise for nothing now a days.

Flame a way. :rolleyes: :D

I agree...I started to post the exact same thing, but fell short because I actually needed to pay attention in class! I go back to something I saw on a previous post on another thread...

A DAY ON A CRUISE SHIP IS BETTER THAN A DAY AT WORK!!!!:D :D :D

As for me being a full time student/server/bartender...I will take scallops and duck over lobster, a 35 dollar fuel surcharge, longs lines on a cruise ship over subway, long lines at the bookstore, bowing down to the needs of millionaire's ANY DAY...maybe we are just the few that despite the cutbacks, see the true beauty of cruising.

Just the perspective of a 23 yr old college senior....happy cruising!:D

Yep, I usually just read and laugh at all the whining. My Freedom (JS) cruise in January is about the same price as my Sovereign (interior) cruise in 1991. True, some of the stuff I liked on the ships in the past may be gone but there's a lot of new stuff I like to. Right now there's not enough negative to spoil my desire to cruise with RCI.
That's why I just fell in love with THIS thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=670911

Smooth sailing....

Pam

Well put!!! :)

It does seem like over the past month or two there has been a lot more negative than folks asking questions for help or sharing positive. Maybe the holiday season is wearing on folks nerves already. :confused:

As you said seasoned travelers know things do happen...not a cruise related situation but on my flight from Vegas home this afternoon after a meeting, one pax suddenly became very ill and had to be taken back off the plane. We were off the tug and just about to taxi when it happened, several pax were upset at the delay, most were kind and shook it off. I was chatting with the two in the row with me, ironically they knew who I was from work I did many years ago, they were only sad for the sick person and their friend who was going to miss her connection home from Houston. I explained we were luck it happened on the tarmac, had it happened in the air we would have been stopping somewhere, ABQ, ELP, etc...which would have really made the flight home late. (I've been on a flight diverted due to a critical illness situation which due to overweight landing cost us about a 3 hour delay getting to LAX, and in my case cost us most of our touring time...many pax missed connections including one near us who missed his connection to Sydney...and those flights are only a few per day.)

I am planning to sail in September in the Southern Caribbean...which is a top hurricane time, if one comes hopefully we get to our ports but if not, oh well lets have fun anyhow.

Perhaps we will see more happy cruiser posts as we close in on Christmas and New Years.

Enjoy your next cruises. :)

Better watch it everyone, before you know it someone is going to come along saying quit whining about the whiners.:)

My favorites:( are the ones who want compensation for any and everything. The worst I've encountered were right after 9/11. We were supposed to sail out of N.Y. but went out of Baltimore instead. Consequently, we were late getting to Bermuda and we left early so we lost about a day and a half. There were 6,000 people dead and pax wanted compensation for LOST TIME???

I agree...I started to post the exact same thing, but fell short because I actually needed to pay attention in class! I go back to something I saw on a previous post on another thread...

A DAY ON A CRUISE SHIP IS BETTER THAN A DAY AT WORK!!!!:D :D :D

As for me being a full time student/server/bartender...I will take scallops and duck over lobster, a 35 dollar fuel surcharge, longs lines on a cruise ship over subway, long lines at the bookstore, bowing down to the needs of millionaire's ANY DAY...maybe we are just the few that despite the cutbacks, see the true beauty of cruising.

Just the perspective of a 23 yr old college senior....happy cruising!:D

I am seeing it through the old eyes of a Grandmother who has done 24 cruises and we have seen it all on those cruises. The good and the not so good. But, we have loved each and every cruise we took.

I have never gotton off of a cruise and said, "That was terrible." And I even sailed in a hurricane. I have always gotten off and said, Wow, that was great! Where to next?

A cruise is what you make of it. ;)

Well put!!! :)

It does seem like over the past month or two there has been a lot more negative than folks asking questions for help or sharing positive. Maybe the holiday season is wearing on folks nerves already. :confused:

As you said seasoned travelers know things do happen...not a cruise related situation but on my flight from Vegas home this afternoon after a meeting, one pax suddenly became very ill and had to be taken back off the plane. We were off the tug and just about to taxi when it happened, several pax were upset at the delay, most were kind and shook it off. I was chatting with the two in the row with me, ironically they knew who I was from work I did many years ago, they were only sad for the sick person and their friend who was going to miss her connection home from Houston. I explained we were luck it happened on the tarmac, had it happened in the air we would have been stopping somewhere, ABQ, ELP, etc...which would have really made the flight home late. (I've been on a flight diverted due to a critical illness situation which due to overweight landing cost us about a 3 hour delay getting to LAX, and in my case cost us most of our touring time...many pax missed connections including one near us who missed his connection to Sydney...and those flights are only a few per day.)

I am planning to sail in September in the Southern Caribbean...which is a top hurricane time, if one comes hopefully we get to our ports but if not, oh well lets have fun anyhow.

Perhaps we will see more happy cruiser posts as we close in on Christmas and New Years.

Enjoy your next cruises. :)

When in September?

Excellent thread and your comments are right on the mark.

I've been cruising off and on since the mid 80's so I've been around long enough to know that as with any business (or vacation) things sometimes happen. Did any of it spoil my cruise? Not hardly, as the good things always outweigh the bad. Much of the negativity on this board is so trivial as to be comical and I don't waste my time on it.:rolleyes:

Tanker 4

Better watch it everyone, before you know it someone is going to come along saying quit whining about the whiners.:)

My favorites:( are the ones who want compensation for any and everything. The worst I've encountered were right after 9/11. We were supposed to sail out of N.Y. but went out of Baltimore instead. Consequently, we were late getting to Bermuda and we left early so we lost about a day and a half. There were 6,000 people dead and pax wanted compensation for LOST TIME???

I am afraid if I answered that one I would be banned from here for life. :mad:

I am a New Yorker. I personally knew people who did not make it, some who did.

I have seen the callous answers to posts on here from people who complain because they lost cruising time while the ship searched for a missing person, etc.

Complained because they could not go in to a port even though they knew the whole island was flattened by a hurricane and there was no town, no homes and no dock. :(

Our society has become a ? :confused:

I am afraid if I answered that one I would be banned from here for life. :mad:

I am a New Yorker. I personally knew people who did not make it, some who did.

I have seen the callous answers to posts on here from people who complain because they lost cruising time while the ship searched for a missing person, etc.

Complained because they could not go in to a port even though they knew the whole island was flattened by a hurricane and there was no town, no homes and no dock. :(

Our society has become a ? :confused:

Unfortunately It's all about "I" and "Me"

Tanker 4

When in September?

I do believe we are on the same cruise then. I need to update my future cruise listings...hope to book another cruise tomorrow for Feb, quickie to the Bahamas after DW finishes a week of meetings in MIA.

Great Post!

We are the most laid back "whatever" people......we don't sweat the small stuff. We are just blessed to be able to vacation. Some people don't even have the opportunity for vacations for various reasons.

Happy Cruising :D

It takes 2 years of saving every penny we can to cruise and it is so worth it. Living on a fixed income its always a bright light to look forward to.

I think God gave me the love of Him,Family and then crusing.

Things have changed but I refuse to date myself talking about the good old days. I love every day and having a cruise booked just makes the sun a little brighter.

Lois:D

It takes 2 years of saving every penny we can to cruise and it is so worth it. Living on a fixed income its always a bright light to look forward to.

I think God gave me the love of Him,Family and then crusing.

Things have changed but I refuse to date myself talking about the good old days. I love every day and having a cruise booked just makes the sun a little brighter.

Lois:D

Well said. Thanks for reminding me of all my blessings.

I totally agree with the OP!! Sometimes I'll read so many negative threads that I actually start to worry about whether or not I'll have a good time. But then the second I'm onboard and I get the cruise "buzz" I absolutely cannot imagine being negative or finding things to complain about! In all the cruises I've been on I've never found anything major to gripe about. Maybe I'm just too easily pleased....but I think that in the grand scheme of things that that's a good thing, because if I let something like "no more almonds and brown sugar for my oatmeal" get to me I'd be in big trouble. :D

Laura

Archived