All things Jewel of the Seas!

Here is a thread dedicated to the beautiful Jewel of the Seas!!

Past cruisers, recent cruisers and cruisers-to-be on Jewel....let's have an all - Jewel discussion! (thread based on Christie's wonderful Explorer thread) Hope you don't mind, Christie.

I will be sailing on the Jewel this summer and would love to hear all the wonderful stories you have about her.

Ride the oceanview elevators all the way to the top, and when you exit, look behind the elevators. You will see Flamingos! They are soooo adorable. I didn't get a picture of them when we were on the Jewel in jan/05, so we have booked her again for the Panama cruise, just so I can get a picture of the flamingos!

We will be cruising on the Jewel in June and I can't wait! We have never cruised on a Radiance Class ship before, but I have seen them in ports we have been to on other cruise ships and I have always thought that they were the most beautiful looking ships ever. I have always thought on those occasions that someday I will sail on one of those ships....and now I am.

I would love to hear what others have to say about the Jewel.

Fell in love back in the 70's and married the girl. 30 years later celebrated on a Jewel Baltic cruise and fell in love again. Our first ever cruise and so worth the wait. The ship was beautiful and the crew amazing, down to the lady watering and pruning the flowers. Dining great in both Windjammer and dining room. Formal nights a real treat. So much space for a "small" ship even when full. Nightlife excellent and varied.

If we can afford another cruise we would not look further than RCI and the Jewel in particular

We enjoyed the 6 day last January & will be on the 8 day Jan 26th. It is a nice ship with lots of places to hang out & a great outdoor pool deck! I had forgotten about those flamingos-- I wanted to get a picture of them & never did so i gues i'll have another chance as well! Thanks for the reminder!

Our first cruise was in Jan. 2005 on the Serenade (Southern Caribbean route) and that hooked us on cruising. Since then we have been on the Voyager, Explorer, Legend, Empress, and the Regal Princess. All of these other cruises were very nice, but we still prefer the Radiance class ships. That is why we will be on the Jewel in Feb. 08.

Cruisingator2, when you say outdoor eating area, Im assumings its right near the windjammer. At least I hope it is, I swear this is how my mother books cruises she loves to sit out side and have breakfast in the morning and some ships just dont have tables. Heres hoping.

Jewel does have an outdoor eating area right behind the Windjammer.

I'm a dining room kind of girl when I'm cruising (hey, if I want self-serve, I can go to Hometown Buffet) but there were a few occasions when timing dictated "Windjammer or nothing" and it was lovely to sit outside and enjoy the view and the fresh air.

Jewel is my favorite ship so far. All the glass, all the views! Especially the elevators... Interesting art all over the ship. Gorgeous Atrium. And such a wonderful staff.

Cruisingator2, when you say outdoor eating area, Im assumings its right near the windjammer. At least I hope it is, I swear this is how my mother books cruises she loves to sit out side and have breakfast in the morning and some ships just dont have tables. Heres hoping.

Yes and it the most wonderful place to enjoy breakfast,lunch or a snack.

The Sea View Cafe has very nice food at no extra charge. But it can be difficult to find. It is aft on deck 12. The easiest access is toward the back of the Windjammer on the starboard side, where there are steps up to deck 12. Watch the Compass for daily hours, as they do vary. Also, many folks really love the crepes which are served in the Solarium cafe. I believe the Jewel is the only ship which offers these. Again, watch the Compass for hours. There are also limited sandwiches and pizza in the Solarium cafe. Do NOT miss the self-leveling pool tables on deck 6 going toward the aft. They are amazing. I will be looking for Patrick in the lobby bar when I sail in Jan. He is such a sweetie pie! Look for Rusty in the Champagne bar. He is very polished and professional. Yes, and don't miss those flamingos! I am hoping that on our cruise they will open a Diamond and + overflow lounge up on deck 13. The concierge lounge is very small, tho' it has a wall of glass for great daytime viewing.

Here is part of the outdoor dining area of the Windjammer.

PC050142.jpg

Outdoor dining area for Seaview Cafe.

PC050138.jpg

Main Dining Room

P1010303.jpg

I took my bf last year on a NCL ship and they didnt server lemonade as one of the free drinks, does Royal still offer lemonade and ice tea for free? Also are their self service soft serve ice cream machines on board? Thanks again, MEG

Yes lemonade, ice tea, and sometimes fruit punch are available at no extra charge in the Windjammer. I believe that the self-serve is frozen yogurt rather than ice cream. I enjoyed it last week on Enchantment of the Seas, and frankly, could not tell the difference between it and soft-serve ice cream.

We just got off the Jewel yestarday from a 6 nite Western Caribbean Cruise. She is indeed a beautiful ship, with wonderful food in the main dining rooms and specialty restaurants, and the most friendly staff. We loved the Christmas decorations, glass elevators, and Solarium. Everything is shiny and new after the refurb. And Lobster is back! :)

The Jewel is my favorite ship so far. We did a B2B last year (Western/Eastern) and the Baltics in July. The ship is gorgeous, and the crew is fantastic. We enjoyed the Seaview Cafe, but found that the fish & chips were fish sticks, not worth ordering. The burgers, fries, onion rings and Cuban sandwich were all terrific. I have an album of pictures in the link in my signature. Enjoy!

Just off the Jewel (12/9- 6 night) and can't say enough wonderful things about the ship, the staff, the food, etc. We cruised on the Liberty of the Seas in August and for my money I prefer The Jewel. If you like to dance Vortex is a great disco at night. Ballroom style dancing is available in the atrium with a great group called Bellini. DH and I enjoyed the specialty restaurants much more than on the Liberty, we went to them 5 nights out of 6. Can't wait to sail her again.