Luggage Dilemma - Is more expensive better?

cruisinglisa

My husband and I travel by plane 5-8 times a year, and about once a year our checked luggage gets damaged so that it is no longer usable (crushed sides, broken handles, etc.). We usually buy what we consider miedium priced luggage (sale price of $60 - $100)

We are debating - do we buy expensive luggage and hope it lasts longer or do we just buy cheap luggage and live with it breaking every year?

Do you have any recommendations on what we should do? A recommended brand/style of luggage?

Thanks!

Lisa

Honestly, the best suitcase I have, I got it for $30. I've taken it on so many trips, it's been all over Europe, Israel, and the US. It's lightweight, but holds up so well. And I am hard on my suitcase. Thrown in and out of planes, busses. The only problem with it is that the red suitcase is turning black from all the use. So it's kinda dirty, but holds up great. So in my experience, you don't need an expensive suitcase for it to hold up well. It's probably been on over 15 trips between me and my parents using it, and still going strong. Not sure if I'm taking it on my upcoming cruise, it might be a bit big for one person for one week only, I've lived out of that suitcase for a month at a time, so it might be a bit big for one week, but we'll see.

Best luggage we have ever had are Ralph Lauren bags we bought at Costco in 2004. 2 european trips and 10+ other cruises and many flights later, they are in almost perfect condition. Got to love that Kevlar!!!;) :D

Although they are RL, they were not expensive as we got them at Costco. It appears these bags are going to be good to go for many, many more trips!!

Don't waste your money. The airlines and cruise ships will ruin pricey luggage just as fast as more moderately priced.

Also...... very pricey luggage is a magnet for thieves. If you were going to steal a suitcase from a baggage carousel, which would you pick? The same boring, moderate black bag that looks like everyone else's or that really sharp, very costly suitcase?

We bought a bright blue set (cheap Optima) several years ago on sale at eBags. Still in reasonably good condition even after a repair by an airline due to damage in transit. We always find it without a problem among the many black bags and it has stood up to many cruises as well as international travel Just pulled it out to pack for our Australia/NZ B2B cruises. It was so inexpensive that I bought a variety of sizes that cover us no matter how long we're away and it's light weight.

I have the good stuff and the cheap stuff. While I have had to replace the cheap stuff several times. The better made ones seem to handle the tossing and banging that goes with traveling. I currently have and use Vera Bradly's red luggage set. At some point the handle on the front pocket zipper on my large piece broke off. Not sure where or when or on what trip. I noticed it a few weeks back. I went back to the store I purchased it from and they even swapped it for me with a new one.

I have a ton of luggage (like handbags :cool: ) and I like my Skyway rolling suitcase that I got on ebags. I think it was around 30$ I also have a DVF bag that is really nice and more nicely made, but I would not take it somewhere that I think would attract a lot of attention. I tend to dress down so it generally is not a problem, but better safe than sorry!

I definitely agree with the other posts that expensive is not the way to go, though I'm sure there are expensive cases that will hold up like you need. For me, I now own two Samsonite sports duffel bags ('Over Under Duffels' - I didn't know if it was okay to post a link, but it's blue and black and has a shoe compartment under it and wheels) because of how well the first one held up for me. I've dragged it through over 100 plane rides in the past couple of years and it literally doesn't have a scratch on it, nor does my new one that I got about a year ago, now. It costs about $99 so for me it was more expensive than I was used to, but I just can't say enough for how well it's held up and kept my stuff secure (and unbroken! That was my big fear with any bag that had 'duffel' in the name) while I dragged it around the world. I also liked that they're never the most expensive-looking bags in the pile, because I would just get frustrated if they got stolen. Hopefully this isn't a kind you've already tried!

I found it at an outlet mall, and also found the sales people at the luggage stores in the different outlet malls we looked at to be very helpful, so if you have one nearby that's always a good option. I don't get really cheap luggage for the reason that if it busts open, I don't want to replace my things. But if you don't mind this (I usually had my entire wardrobe with me for long trips, so I just really would've been stuck!), cheap luggage does seem like an alternative, because even if it does break while you're travelling, you can pick up another cheap set to go home with!

Do you mean the quilted, print cotton pieces by Vera Bradley? I have some small things like eyeglass case by her and maybe even a pocketbook hanging around in my closet somewhere.

Yes, she is getting more and more into luggage. She designs the material and the luggage is made by Ricardo of Beverly Hills. You can go to her website and see the different choices. I believe right now she has 2 or 3 sets to pick from.

I have a Samsonite rolling duffel bag and a Kenneth Cole garment bag. Both have been durable and reliable. The Kenneth Cole bag seems better made--nice zippers that work easily, added features such as small compartments and pockets. Overall, I think it was worth the extra money. It helps that it was on sale at Dillards the day after Thanksgiving a few years ago. It was about $20 more than the garment bag I bought earlier that day at Belks that I ended up taking back.

A lot of the expensive bags weigh a lot to begin with. With the airline limits at 50lbs it is hard to meet when your suitcase weighs 15 to 18 lbs empty. We bought Skyway Ultra Lightweight bags. The larger rolling bags are around 8lbs empty and have lots of room, ran something like $70 or $80 with delivery from an online store a year ago.

i luv new luggage. we needed more luggage like a hole in the head but got a cheap set of 5 at macy's. i eyed the spinner and light weight stuff but my practical side says it would break my heart to see expensive stuff tossed around and scratched. even my one good piece i get upset about the wheels being scratched on big curbs.

so now we have two whole sets plus extra pieces.... and im a light packer but the set in red that would stand out from all the dark blue and black was irrestible.

if you see something you love, treat yourself.

2 weeks ago I was in Chicago on board the aircraft overlooking the luggage going from cart to conveyer belt to the plane. OUCH!:eek: They treated the luggage quite badly, IMO.

Winnie <-----> will never pack glass in suitcase ever again! (even double bubbled)

There was a period a couple of years ago when I was travelling a lot, both for business and pleasure.

I always buy inexpensive luggage, because by the time I get home, somebody has destroyed it somehow. Either a zipper pull is missing, the zipper itself is so misaligned that it won't work, a handle has been broken off, etc. In all cases, it winds up getting scuffed and dirty. I've even found complete, muddy footprints. indicating that somebody actually STOOD or WALKED on my bag!!

Would these things happen with expensive luggage too? We will never know...

It got so bad that I joked that I should start adding the price of a new bag into my travel budget.

If this happened to a $150 bag, as opposed to a $50 piece, I'd be furious. And you know there is no recourse to getting somebody (the airline/cruiseline) to pony up the $$ to replace it.

T

I guess you have to say what exactly does "expensive" luggage mean? To me Samsonite is expensive! I really don't know whats higher than Samsonite, Gucci?

Anyway, I had an American Tourister set from K Mart (the 5 piece for like $80) and it got completely destroyed one trip when we didn't fill up the largest upright completely. The plastic frame got trashed and now that piece of luggage is worthless. I still have the smaller pieces in that set that work just fine.

Then one day I saw a clearance sale at Dillards for 75% off this Murano set and I got a Large upright and a smaller rolling square size bag, both for about $80 total. And that was 75% off! So far the luggage has been great for me. But as I'm sure with all luggage it will eventually wear out.

I also like when luggage has different colors and shapes with lots of pockets and pouches. My Murano set is light blue with chocolate brown trim. Its so easy to spot coming out of the baggage claim!

If I could choose any luggage though it would be Samsonite, they always have great quality bags and lots of colors and pockets that I like.

I usually stay away from inexpensive luggage sets. American Tourister for instance makes inexpensive sets for K-Mart that are pretty cheesy, but sell individual pieces that cost almost as much as the sets that are much more sturdy, the same goes for just about anywhere, it seems that every brand name seems to have inexpensive sets that are of inferior quality.

I buy individual pieces and look closely at the zippers (the inexpensive sets often skimp here) also look at the weave of the fabric, a thick durable weave will be stronger, ballistic nylon is best but often costly.

I will absolutely will not spend big money on luggage, but will also not go too cheap. I got a 3 piece set at target on clearance 24", 15", and duffle for $20 it lasted about 3 years and the plastic walls on the inside crumbled, it was really funny on my january cruise reaching in my pockets and pulling out pieces of my luggage. I didn't sweat it as I feel I got more than my $20 worth.

I look at reviews on E-bags .com if you see many people complaining about the same things, you know to stay away from that.

MAC

I have a lot of kids and I have seen their cheap luggage last about a year before it gets holes around the frame, stuck zippers, stretched fabric, and pockmarked wheels. It looks totally *ghetto* and is depressing to pack. When I go on a cruise I like to pack up the good stuff- feels festive and like I'm about to set sail on an ocean liner.... Plus I remember my grandparents- they did a lot of traveling and had excellent luggage. My grandma had a wonderful matching train case- I would love to have one of them. They also had the bad stuff, held together with duct tape, that they used to transport extra things up north for the summer.

So- I have two giant suitcases, two small ones, and an overnighter, all from Tommy Hilfiger. Bought them at Marshall's (equivalent to TJ Maxx or Filene's Basement). They were not cheap- I think the big ones were $75 each- but compared to "real" high end luggage- they were a steal. They are bee-you-ti-ful and I can't wait to pack them up again! So that's what I would suggest- go to an off price retailer and get some good ones a la carte. I saw some gorgeous Liz Claiborne pieces in there the other day...

I travel extensively for work (figured it out - I was out of the country 365 days over the last 4 years on work trips - never over weekends) and have bought quite a bit of luggage. For my carry-on - the goal is size, and the type or expense is irrelevant. For checked in luggage - I wouldn't buy really expensive luggage (been there, done that, it was ruined), but I go for very lightweight and obnoxious colors. I can fit more clothes in, and I can spot my luggage a mile away....:rolleyes:

ddonalds,

Totally agree...we figured that out when my husband was traveling every week in his work and it was validated when the zipper 'popped' on the conveyor belt after we checked our expensive bags in NZ some years ago....very embarrassing when the check-in agent paged us to ask if one of the 'unmentionables' found was mine (as he held it up in the air for all to view :)) Bright colors (atypical) and planning on replacements every few years works for us and, in the end, has proven much less expensive than major purchases a bit less often.

Also, we purchase 2 inexpensive but good brand rolling duffle bags at a discount store several years ago and found that a week's worth of clothes can fit in them...makes traveling much easier when we check the duffles and just carry on small totes each!

Archived