How bad a ride in aft cabins?

landj4always

We just got off the CB this morning. We were in the GS which is on Aloha deck aft. It was the quietest, most comfortable cruise ever. The only noise was the sound of the ocean and that can't be beat. My husband gets seasick and the sea was a little rough one night, but he had no problems. We were in an aft cabin on Voyager of the Seas and it was horrible. The vibration was horrible. Nothing like that on CB.

Joan

The noise of the wake on the other hand was too irritating to sit outside.

One of the things I like about the aft cabins is the noise of the wake. The white noise helps drown out any other noises around you, and I find it pretty peaceful, although I could see it being annoying for some people. Having had C753 on the Grand (and B751 on the Crown), I'm a little surprised that it was that bad at that height for you.

my last cruise I was in Baja 755 on the Carribbean Princess

I loved it, hardly any motion at all! I did feel the "shimmy" that other people eluded to, it's annoying at first, but after the first couple of hours you learn to ignore it. Because the closet in that room runs from port to starward, you'll hear your hangers clanging together until you take them down or put something on them!

Have a great cruise...that is a wonderful room!! Huge..totally private balcony :)

I have this cabin booked for my sailing..Its the first aft cabin Ive ever booked and was a bit aprehensive about being so far aft. My TA said, jump on it, so I did. Im looking forward to it.

my last cruise I was in Baja 755 on the Carribbean Princess

I loved it, hardly any motion at all! I did feel the "shimmy" that other people eluded to, it's annoying at first, but after the first couple of hours you learn to ignore it. Because the closet in that room runs from port to starward, you'll hear your hangers clanging together until you take them down or put something on them!

Have a great cruise...that is a wonderful room!! Huge..totally private balcony :)

Glad to hear this b/c I just booked B755 on the Crown Princess for 11/30!

I was in an Aft inside January 2007......it was one of the last cabins left we booked at the last minute.

This was my first time Aft... I liked it so much that I will never return to Forward again. Oh and lovely and quiet .

Also a much smoother movement .

While we loved our aft B752 on the Emerald Princess, I agree with LadyJag that there was some jiggling motion during higher seas. On one of the sea days, there was a quarter following sea, so the ship was doing kind of a corkscrew. Nothing compared to the rollicking pitching we experienced on our Queen Mary transatlantic, but still noticeable. I think you can make an objective statement that there is more motion at the aft or forward, but the subjective part is how much you notice it or how much it bothers you. My subjective view is that the large Princess ships don't ride as well as some others (Queen Mary in particular), but I still love the ships and would try them again. On Emerald, we didn't experience any creaking-type ship noise mentioned by others, but we did have to quiet down our hangers.

We were in C748 on the CB and hardly noticed the motion. While there was some on occasion, it was more of a gentle rocking than sharp jolts. We enjoyed waking up every morning and looking at the beautiful view of the wake stretching out into the horizon. Oh, and at night, with the moon shining on the wake was spectacular. I tried to get a picture of it but my camera wouldn't cooperate. LOL!!

Just wondering--I too booked an aft cabin after reading some of the postings. I am taking my first cruise ever, hopefully not my last, and booked Inside passage from Seattle, Golden Princess Aft Cabin D736. has anybody had any experience with that cabin to Alaska in September re: the waves, noise etc--I have traveled on small boats in choppy waters and haven't been seasick before

Thanks a zillion

Just wondering--I too booked an aft cabin after reading some of the postings. I am taking my first cruise ever, hopefully not my last, and booked Inside passage from Seattle, Golden Princess Aft Cabin D736. has anybody had any experience with that cabin to Alaska in September re: the waves, noise etc--I have traveled on small boats in choppy waters and haven't been seasick before

Thanks a zillion

Just got off the Golden . You will have the shimmy effect but it does not overly bother us. Had the same on the Grand also.

I have this cabin booked for my sailing..Its the first aft cabin Ive ever booked and was a bit aprehensive about being so far aft. My TA said, jump on it, so I did. Im looking forward to it.

Bruisecrusie and I shared this cabin....I too was very apprehensive when I realized a few days before the trip they had upgraded us to the back of the ship! I had never been on a cruise and was worried that the motion would be much worse in the aft.....we had reserved an oceanview midship before we were upgraded. I absolutely loved this cabin! I hardly felt any motion, and at night we slept with the balcony door open....the sound of the wake of the ship was like a sweet lullaby! I would definately book this cabin again!

If you are sensitive to motion, the bonine recommended on the board so often definately makes a difference!

• 3 weeks later...

is always an aft cabin. Bigger balcony, great view, you always know which way to turn when leaving your cabin and if you just have to see where you're going you can turn on the bridge cam! :)

Aft on the Caribbean Princess and then we had all the way aft on the Crown. There is motion of course, but it's great and rocked us to sleep every night. We also had to take down the extra clanging hangars!

My upcoming cruise in April is aft too. The only time I din't take aft was when I couldn't get it and we wanted to try a mini for the Panama cruise.

One of our most wonderful cruises was spent in an aft cabin. It was an awesome suite that took up the rear 1/4 of the old Norwegian Sky. Not one problem with being in the aft as far as movement or noise or anything else went. Enjoy!

Great suggestion, we will try this. But too late, we have stayed in front cabins under the bridge, loved them, and had balcony cabins, but this year we are trying aft, upper level on RCCL, maybe the noise issue movement is only related to Princess. Everyone on RCCL loved their aft cabins. But here not so much. Want to go princess again for the food.

Archived