How bad a ride in aft cabins?

landj4always

Gross generalization of course, but it is usually smoother aft than all the way forward.

Bow slap can be fairly severe in heavy pitching seas, and the stern does not seem to come out of water as often as the bulbous bow. If the screws come out of the water - you will know it!!!

Way back in 11-86, while trying to outrun the back end of a typhoon in the China Sea between Hong Kong and the Phillipines, on the little Golden Odyssey (a 10,000 tonner), we had green water over the bridge, inclinometer pegged, and screws out of the water. Very rough indeed.

In roughly the same waters (but closer to Okinawa), Halsey's Fleet lost three destroyers (or DDE's) to capsizing in the closing days of WW2.

We just had C753 on Emerald for 20 nights and it was a bit rougher back there than normal.We have had stern cabins before on Grand Class ships and it may have been the weather.We both noticed the severe shaking of the ship when the trhusters were used or when the ship was leaving port.The rear elevators were ratting in their shafts.It felt like the propeller and shaft were not properly balanced.

We were in an aft cabin on Baja on Caribbean Princess. The movement was not a problem except for a gentle rolling at night (just enough to rock you to sleep) but then I am not prone to motion sickness. You could feel a bit of vibration/noise upon docking or leaving port.

The first night out, our hangers were rattling in the closet until I got up and took them all down (hadn't fully unpacked yet)!

I was in an aft cabin on the Grand Princess in January. We loved it. The balcony was good sized and watching the wake was mesmerizing. We had a couple of days of motion on the ship, but didn't feel it any more in our cabin then other places on the ship. Our hallway was quiet and would love to do another aft cabin cruise! We were on the Emerald deck in E730.

I love the aft cabins...especially (as Toto stated) the ones facing the wake. We were in A751 on the Crown and it was great. First day was at sea (NY to Halifax) and seas were a little bit rough, but the motion was really not bad.

The first night out, our hangers were rattling in the closet until I got up and took them all down (hadn't fully unpacked yet)!

Our last night we had some hanger rattle (because we had packed up to set our luggage outside our door), so I took the hangers from all the rails, placed one of the robes on the wall end, pushed all the empty hangers against it, then took the other robe and pushed that against the empties. Problem solved, no more rattle!

You'll absolutely hate the aft cabins. Don't book them. (Ok, maybe I'm just trying to cut down on the competition for those cabins. 3 cruises and 1 coming up, all aft cabins. If more people find out they like those cabins they'll be harder to get).

Aft on the Royal kicks like a mule when the ship goes over 16 knots or so. Don't know if that's true on the other R class ships.

We had a Suite C749 on the Crown, all the way aft and really felt the motion throughout the entire trip. Every night we had to firmly close all the doors or they would slam around throughout the night. We could even hear the clanging of the hangers if the door wasn't closed.

In all fairness I'm very prone to motion sickness so it wasn't the best choice for me. My husband did feel the motion however, as did our friends and remarked how much motion we felt. It didn't bother them though, only me.

in baja 756 you wont have very much motion,you would need to be in fairly choppy waters, to really feel alot of motion,and your view will be an awesome one,it is usually quiet in the aft which makes it nice,the only time you feel alot of vibration is when the ship docks in the morning,i am sure you will love your room,so relax and enjoy your trip:));)

I'm going to give my side of this whether it makes the aft cheerleaders angry or not. I've been in aft cabins on many ships, so I'm making a comparison from other cruise lines & ships.

IME (in my experience), the Grand Class ships really move a lot, especially in the very aft-facing section. They roll from side-to-side a lot, which you can feel everywhere on the ship, but it's not bad mid-ship if you're in low seas (under 7 or 8 feet).

In the aft area, you'll feel A LOT of shimmying - a kind of side-to-side jiggle. I think what bothered us even more was all the noise - not people noise (it's extremely quiet in the hallways), but ship noise. There's a lot of popping, creaking, & snapping. I've also noticed that in more forward cabins too on the Grand Class ships.

This never stops me from booking these ships, but I do make sure I book mid-ship cabins because that suits our personal preference. The aft movement & noise may not bother everyone, but it is definitely there.

Again, this is compared to other cruise lines & ships in the same areas. IMO, the Grand Class ships ride "loose". To me, it feels like driving a Lincoln Town Car vs. driving a sports car. One feels "floaty" & the other feels "tight". ;)

Archived