Is it my computer or is this site slower than being onboard?

C 2 C

I've just returned from a cruise and I find logging onto cruisecritic, posting and previewing posts is frustrating. Is anyone else having this problem or is my computer sick?

I haven't spent this much time looking at spinning icons since ship-board non-connections.

I've just returned from a cruise and I find logging onto cruisecritic, posting and previewing posts is frustrating. Is anyone else having this problem or is my computer sick?

I haven't spent this much time looking at spinning icons since ship-board non-connections.

Site has been acting up for about a week, very slow. Not your computer.

This has been going on for over 2 weeks. Lately it has been really bad. Double and triple threads, double posts, try to submit a post and lose it to cyber space, etc.:eek: I just wish that the hosts would come on and give us an update.

Marilyn

I experienced the board being extremely slow this morning, so in an effort to determine if it was my computer or the site, I cleared my cache and cookies, and so far threads are opening much more quickly. Hope this helps.

• Administrators

I'd like to be able to report to you all that we have an ETA on fixing the "slowness" of the forums, but I don't have a timeframe for you. I will share that we are working on it, and are hoping to get things back to normal as quickly as possible.

Traffic is usually very heavy on the boards this time of year -- wave season :).

I'll do my best to keep you posted.

Laura

It's not the number of people coming online on CC, it's the bad server being used by the provider. This server cannot handle the traffic. Hundreds of other websites don't crash or run slow, even though they have three or four times the volume. This place is slow because they need to update their hardware and software, not because of the number of visitors.

I have figured out which times of day is slower for me and avoid it.

I haven't been able to log on the 25th hour as yet.. whether it's 3:00 am or any other number with an am or pm after it, I find slow loadings if I have looked at several threads..:(. I log out and reload... sometimes with a quick response but posts are unreliable and "hang up" more often than not..

And how many of you are getting the "ERROR" screen when you try to post? I've taken to minimizing the screen after submitting reply, pulling CC up a second time, and ...surprise! There's the post that supposedly DIDN'T post! Oh well, I can sit and stare at the screen with frustration, or I can clean toilets. Frustration isn't so bad after all!;)

Happy cruising!

Denise

It just happened TWICE with this post!!! Grrrrrrrrrr!

I was just about in shock! I could not log on and when I finally did I could not post! I need my hourly fix of Cruise Critic and I was answered with blank screens...:(

Addiction at its worst..

I was just about in shock! I could not log on and when I finally did I could not post! I need my hourly fix of Cruise Critic and I was answered with blank screens...:(

Addiction at its worst..

Tripadvisor is a good substitute when these boards are slow. And if you are looking for a new addiction...try their Travel IQ game...lots of fun!

Tripadvisor is a good substitute when these boards are slow. And if you are looking for a new addiction...try their Travel IQ game...lots of fun!

Susan, thanks! I just had a go and it was fun. I got up to section 8 this first time round, but then had far too many "You do know we are on Earth, right?" responses. I'll have brush up on my geography for Canada and South America and have another go;)

I really enjoy having a look at this site and take the slowness that appears to be a result of many getting their "fix" at the end of the winter as best I can. With all due respect to Laura and the team, I have read many times that "we are working on it" and don't hold my breath. Goes to show what a popular site this is and indeed how popular cruising has become.

Phil

Slowness has nothing to do with the time of day or traffic on this site.

It's all related to bandwidth, and bandwidth costs money ($$). More bandwidth means that some of our "Hosts", or the Independent Traveler folks, get less in their paycheck. Someone's got to pay for it.

.............a business decision.

Forget us. The site makes their money ($$) not from us but from their advertisers. When people don't frequent here as often because of the slow boards, and the advertisers begin pull out, then maybe more bandwidth.

Again............a business decision.

I’m not being critical, just calling it like it is!!

Slowness has nothing to do with the time of day or traffic on this site.

It's all related to bandwidth, and bandwidth costs money ($$). More bandwidth means that some of our "Hosts", or the Independent Traveler folks, get less in their paycheck. Someone's got to pay for it.

.............a business decision.

Forget us. The site makes their money ($$) not from us but from their advertisers. When people don't frequent here as often because of the slow boards, and the advertisers begin pull out, then maybe more bandwidth.

Again............a business decision.

I’m not being critical, just calling it like it is!!

If I go on the site first thing in the morning UK time it is definitely quicker although not as quick as it used to be. I wonder if that has anything to do with the Celebrity ANZ itineraries and those from Down Under logging on (or perhaps staying up later in the US;)). Once it gets to about 11.30am local time it slows right down.

Phil

I tried to post this morning around 7:00 am PST and believe me I am not exaggerating....it took approx 10 minutes before I finally gave up without posting my message and exited the website....It was much quicker this aft. I have to admit being on the website is not as enjoyable as it used to be....

Again, it has nothing to do with time of day.

Question to all of you (us) board members: What other website do you visit on a regular basis that act this way?

My answer (respectfully to the Hosts): NONE

Thank you. My feelings exactly.

Marilyn

While I am disgusted with the speed and response of this board, I applaud the above named individuals for giving us any information they have. To admit there is a problem is a huge step, so thank you.

I will add that the time of day has absolutely, nothing to do with the speed. I can try at 5am or late at night. I try during the day. I get the same results. One minute it is fine and the next, I have to close and restart the process for viewing boards. Some have said that netscape or other systems are slower. I can tell you that I use IE, and the results are the same.

I hope that a fix is forthcoming..and quickly!

Archived