Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

White spot restaurant is across Georgia St from the Bayshore. www.whitespot.ca - it's being around since 1928 and is a favorite to locals and tourists alike.

For something a little more upscale - more price wise than anything else there is Cardero's http://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos

which is basically next door to the east of the hotel. It is a lively place and I will be there again in May when friends from California are in town pre-cruise and want to go there for the third time.

Hope this helps and enjoy your visit.

Cheers

Dennis

Perfect! Thanks..

Ken

That would be correct, about 2 miles. You can take one of the ferry services back if you wish which cuts the need of walking over the bridge or take transit.

As to restaurants, Bridges and the Dockside have always been a hit with us. Here is a link to Granville Is. restaurants:

http://granvilleisland.com/directory-type/directory-type/dining/restaurants-pubs

Thanks. Dockside looks great.

Can someone explain how one gets from the airport to Best Western Downtown using the public transit from the airport? Arrival time at the airport will be about 8:00 p.m.

They would take the Canada Line from YVR Station to the Yaletown-Round House Station (which you will see on this map) and walk about 10 blocks....slightly up hill.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?ie=UTF-8&q=best+western+downtown+plus+vancouver&fb=1&gl=ca&hq=best+western+downtown+plus+vancouver&cid=0,0,14627309566999525379&ei=nYF4UeGeGsqniALGtYGoBg&ved=0CNQBEPwSMAA

What about inexpensive (or at least reasonable) restaurants that are on the top of the highrises or a cocktail lounge to have drinks at sunset? Any recommendations in Vancouver for this? We'll be there on a Wed-Thur-Fri night in mid May

We will be disembarking Norwegian Jewel and embarking on HAL Volendam the same day in Vancouver. How do we get from where the Jewel is docked to where Volendam is docked. Thanks for your answers.

If it's 15th May you're in luck - after leaving security just reenter the other side of Canada Place, they're both docked there. If it's September 21st, Jewel will be at Ballantyne dock - the only sensible thing to do is grab a cab (Ballantyne is primarily industrial, it's not convenient for public transit and you do not want to walk between the two as you'll be passing through the least pleasant part of our city)

What about inexpensive (or at least reasonable) restaurants that are on the top of the highrises or a cocktail lounge to have drinks at sunset? Any recommendations in Vancouver for this? We'll be there on a Wed-Thur-Fri night in mid May

I can't think of any rooftop restos/bars downtown except the revolving ones - the only one I'd consider reasonable would be the lounge at Cloud 9 (no entry fee, don't need to eat, and if you go Wed or Thu there's no cover charge).

There are some options with decent views though - Cascades Lounge inside the Pan Pacific for example, Cactus Club Cafes at English Bay or Convention Centre, Boathouses in several locations, Seasons In The Park, or even Tap & Barrel. All of these have the good tables with a view reserved for diners though - the bar areas tend to be at the back or middle of the restaurants with the exception of Cascades...

I can't think of any rooftop restos/bars downtown except the revolving ones - the only one I'd consider reasonable would be the lounge at Cloud 9 (no entry fee, don't need to eat, and if you go Wed or Thu there's no cover charge).

There are some options with decent views though - Cascades Lounge inside the Pan Pacific for example, Cactus Club Cafes at English Bay or Convention Centre, Boathouses in several locations, Seasons In The Park, or even Tap & Barrel. All of these have the good tables with a view reserved for diners though - the bar areas tend to be at the back or middle of the restaurants with the exception of Cascades...

Lift, and Steamworks also have some impressive views overlooking the water. So will Miku when they move next to Canada Place (probably 2 months from now, it's still under construction)

Putterdude's suggestion on getting to the Best Western is fine but you could avoid the walk by taking the community shuttle - believe it is C 21 or 23 - Scott you can correct me on that one if necessary - which will stop at Granville and Davie and then it is only a one block walk to the hotel.

You could also go one more stop to Vancouver Centre station - and then take any of the buses on Granville to the hotel. All of the buses on Granville except for the #6 stop right outside the hotel at Drake St - the #6 stops a block away at Davie - same stop as the shuttle

Your Canada Line ticket is good on the shuttle and buses.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Putterdude's suggestion on getting to the Best Western is fine but you could avoid the walk by taking the community shuttle - believe it is C 21 or 23 - Scott you can correct me on that one if necessary - which will stop at Granville and Davie and then it is only a one block walk to the hotel.

You could also go one more stop to Vancouver Centre station - and then take any of the buses on Granville to the hotel. All of the buses on Granville except for the #6 stop right outside the hotel at Drake St - the #6 stops a block away at Davie - same stop as the shuttle

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Would these community shuttles be available in the evening. Their flight lands about 8:00 p.m.

I presume that Vancouver Center is on Granville Street?

Yes they run in the evening and yes Vancouver Centre station is on Granville street - they call it that because there was already a Granville station stop on the other existing lines.

Cheers

Dennis

UT is quite right, you're almost better off going one stop more and coming back. As to the Community Shuttle question, they're just smaller buses and the route numbers start with a C.

To get an idea of all of the options, you can punch in from/to into the Translink trip planner (translink.ca) or even into maps.google.com and select the bus icon (google transit)

If it's 15th May you're in luck - after leaving security just reenter the other side of Canada Place, they're both docked there. If it's September 21st, Jewel will be at Ballantyne dock - the only sensible thing to do is grab a cab (Ballantyne is primarily industrial, it's not convenient for public transit and you do not want to walk between the two as you'll be passing through the least pleasant part of our city)

It will be on May 15th so I'll be in luck.

Thank you,

We will be disembarking Norwegian Jewel and embarking on HAL Volendam the same day in Vancouver. How do we get from where the Jewel is docked to where Volendam is docked. Thanks for your answers.

You will have to pass thru Canadian customs with your luggage and once thru that you will find yourself in large hall, there will be lots of signs and people directing you to the Volendam. Before boarding the Volendam you will have to pass thru security and US customs. You could ask at the Passenger Services desk on the Jewel if they could arrange a luggage transfer for you but my experience with Princess transferring between two of their ships at Canada Place that this was not possible. However, we were directed to an "in transit" lounge in Canada Place and were the first to board the second ship...so I would ask about that at the PSD and again as soon as you disembark the Jewel.

Good Afternoon,

I apologize if this has been asked/answered before! My question is: can we use a credit card to purchase tickets to the HoHo bus? We'll only be in Vancouver for a day and a half and we think this is the best way to see as much of Vancouver as possible in just one day.

We'll be there May 29 prior to our cruise on the Radiance on the 31st. Thanks so much for your help!

Good Afternoon,

I apologize if this has been asked/answered before! My question is: can we use a credit card to purchase tickets to the HoHo bus? We'll only be in Vancouver for a day and a half and we think this is the best way to see as much of Vancouver as possible in just one day.

We'll be there May 29 prior to our cruise on the Radiance on the 31st. Thanks so much for your help!

If this is the company you planned to go with, you can buy tickets online with a credit card and then you get 2 days for the price of one. I would assume that they would take credit cards the day of but maybe one of the regulars who post/answer questions here know for sure. Or, you could call the number listed on the site and ask. I think we will purchase them a head of time to get 2 days (even though we are only there a day and a half also). That way we avoid the extra credit card fee that we are charged for using our credit card out of the country.

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/buy-tickets

Good Afternoon,

You can definitely pay by credit card as a walk-up passenger on the Trolley - although the driver may not have a credit card machine and may have to call a 'floating' manager/general dogsbody who does. When my parents were over visiting and we used the trolley, someone wanted to pay by CC - the driver let them on, radioed in that he needed The Guy With The Magic Box, and a couple of stops later he was waiting to get on, processed their card and handed them their tickets. He stayed on our trolley for three or four stops, then got off to wait for another one after being radioed again.

The short version - you can, but it might be a hassle! As mentioned above, buying in advance (which you can also do with all the other HOHO companies, and 2-days-for-the-price-of-1 seems to be the standard perk of advance purchase) is a no-brainer if you know you definitely want to use a HOHO.

UT is quite right, you're almost better off going one stop more and coming back. As to the Community Shuttle question, they're just smaller buses and the route numbers start with a C.

To get an idea of all of the options, you can punch in from/to into the Translink trip planner (translink.ca) or even into maps.google.com and select the bus icon (google transit)

Thank you all for being so patient with my questions. You are all wonderful!!!

Are the community shuttles also available at the Vancouver Centre Station, or just the Granville buses?

When you say your Canada Line ticket is good on the shuttle and buses, do you mean you only need the ticket you purchase from the airport to get all the way to the Best Western, or do you mean if they purchase the Fare Saver Tickets then they will be able to get to the Best Western?

... Are the community shuttles also available at the Vancouver Centre Station, or just the Granville buses?

When you say your Canada Line ticket is good on the shuttle and buses, do you mean you only need the ticket you purchase from the airport to get all the way to the Best Western, or do you mean if they purchase the Fare Saver Tickets then they will be able to get to the Best Western?

No community shuttles - these are, as mentioned, small buses that link up some of the not-on-the-main-bus-routes areas, where there's not enough demand for full-size buses to run. Therefore if full-size buses run on a given street (like Granville, a major road for transit as it has one of the few bridges over False Creek) there's no need for the small ones to cover the same route.

And to your second part - both! A Faresaver is exactly the same as paying a cash fare, just bought in bulk in advance for a discount. You can use them on Skytrain, buses, community shuttles, even the Seabus over to the North Shore, for 90 minutes from when you have it authorised (very obvious machines at Skytrain & Seabus, or the same machine you put cash into if boarding a bus).

So if all goes smoothly getting to their hotel they could check in, drop bags, and then jump on *another* bus to go somewhere for dinner...

Vbmom, this might make it easier for you to visualise the process - I've assumed an 8:30pm departure from the airport to allow for bag collection & ticket buying. The top two routes suggested are the ones already mkentioned above - using the C23 shuttle from Yaletown-Roundhouse or the 7 bus down Granville from City Center stations.

CLICK HERE

Google actually thinks it's quickest to walk from Y-R skytrain (I had to set it to 'less walking' mode to get the bus connections to show), but it's a wee bit of a steep hill for a few blocks so if I were schlepping luggage I'd do the bus transfer...

All the individual steps are clickable, with specific street names, directions to walk etc. You can even zoom right down to Streetview to see what you'll see when you're there - I find that very useful when visiting a city for the first time.

Martin, thank you!!! Your posts were very helpful.

If they do not buy the FareSaver and just buy ticket(s) for the Skytrain, what do they need to do to get a bus transfer?

When they pay their fare at a ticket vending machine (TVM) beit by cash, credit card, or debit card, they will receive a ticket that will serve as their transfer and is good for 90 minutes from the time of purchase.

If this is the company you planned to go with, you can buy tickets online with a credit card and then you get 2 days for the price of one. I would assume that they would take credit cards the day of but maybe one of the regulars who post/answer questions here know for sure. Or, you could call the number listed on the site and ask. I think we will purchase them a head of time to get 2 days (even though we are only there a day and a half also). That way we avoid the extra credit card fee that we are charged for using our credit card out of the country.

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/buy-tickets

Thank you so much for the info! :):) I think that's what we'll do. Thakns for the link as well.

You can definitely pay by credit card as a walk-up passenger on the Trolley - although the driver may not have a credit card machine and may have to call a 'floating' manager/general dogsbody who does. When my parents were over visiting and we used the trolley, someone wanted to pay by CC - the driver let them on, radioed in that he needed The Guy With The Magic Box, and a couple of stops later he was waiting to get on, processed their card and handed them their tickets. He stayed on our trolley for three or four stops, then got off to wait for another one after being radioed again.

The short version - you can, but it might be a hassle! As mentioned above, buying in advance (which you can also do with all the other HOHO companies, and 2-days-for-the-price-of-1 seems to be the standard perk of advance purchase) is a no-brainer if you know you definitely want to use a HOHO.

Thank you very much for your help. We'll go with the advanced purchase. You are all so nice and helpful!

I love cruise critic! :)

Have a great day!