Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Okay, I was gonna try to blame this one on my wife but I'll own up to it..:o

I'm addicted to Coffee Crisps. There, I said it.

Is there anywhere close to Canada Place, or between the Westin Bayshore and Coast restaurant on Alberni St. that I can buy them by the box?

We're eating dinner at the Coast restaurant and will be walking back to the Westin so if there is anyplace not too far out of the way I'll be very happy.. :D

There used to be a 7-11 at the corner of Bute and Alberni. I'm not sure whether it is still there or not. If not, there is a Dollartree below this corner. The entrance is off of Bute between Robson and Alberni. They will have the coffee crisps (not sure if you could buy a box from them or not). It's just down the street from the Coast restaurant. It's a nice restaurant... enjoy!

Edited by Tweedy

Okay, I was gonna try to blame this one on my wife but I'll own up to it..:o

I'm addicted to Coffee Crisps. There, I said it.

Is there anywhere close to Canada Place, or between the Westin Bayshore and Coast restaurant on Alberni St. that I can buy them by the box?

We're eating dinner at the Coast restaurant and will be walking back to the Westin so if there is anyplace not too far out of the way I'll be very happy.. :D

There is a Costco at 605 Expo Blvd Near the stadium. Not as close as you would want but there is a Skytrain station right near by.

I know I have asked this before but I want to get a personal opinion from someone who lives in or near Richmond. We are staying at the Sheraton Hotel and were wondering if there is a good family restaurant for Cantonese or Mandarin? The hotel is near Minoru Rd. and Westminster Hwy. The restaurant doesn't have to be fancy. Thanks.

The 7/11 at that corner is long gone - Dollar tree is still there but will have to check and see if they have the original coffee crisp as many of their offerings are clones of the real thing.

There is a London Drugs around the corner on Robson that might have the Coffee Crisp as well.

Cheers

Dennis

I know I have asked this before but I want to get a personal opinion from someone who lives in or near Richmond. We are staying at the Sheraton Hotel and were wondering if there is a good family restaurant for Cantonese or Mandarin? The hotel is near Minoru Rd. and Westminster Hwy. The restaurant doesn't have to be fancy. Thanks.

This might help:

http://chineserestaurantawards.com/index.php

There is a very popular Shanghai restaurant called Shanghai River across Minoru from the Sheraton.

There are dozens and dozens. These websites will likely help throw some light on some of your options:

The 7/11 at that corner is long gone - Dollar tree is still there but will have to check and see if they have the original coffee crisp as many of their offerings are clones of the real thing.

There is a London Drugs around the corner on Robson that might have the Coffee Crisp as well.

I like the idea of London Drugs, from observation they always have Coffee Crisp and they often have certain candy bars on sale....and when they are on sale you are not likely to beat their price....even at Costco and they will have quantity.

In addition to clones dollar stores often have product that is very close if not past its "best before date" so if I were purchasing a quantity I would be aware.

This might help:

http://chineserestaurantawards.com/index.php

There is a very popular Shanghai restaurant called Shanghai River across Minoru from the Sheraton.

Thank you very much. Shanghai definitely works for me. I know about the awards.com but I wanted a local's opinion for family style, not necessary the fanciest and best, you know what I mean? I will check out the Shanghai River.

There are dozens and dozens. These websites will likely help throw some light on some of your options:

Thank you very much. I especially like the dinehere.ca where I get people's opinion. Do you have a place that you particularly like?

Thank you very much. I especially like the dinehere.ca where I get people's opinion. Do you have a place that you particularly like?

To be honest Richmond isn't really my part of town, hence the referral to the websites. Everyone has a different opinion, and probably my fave Chinese place is a very scary spot in Chinatown. not near Richmond.

The one in Richmond - which is about 60 % Asian - is really not much more than a series of strip malls.

Vancouver's Chinatown has lot's of history and turn of the 1900's buildings - it is however on the edge of the poorest and worst neighbourbood in Vancouver - the downtown east side - while not particularly violent it is not a pleasant area to walk through at the best of times so I would not recommend a nighttime visit to it.

There are night markets in both locations - one of the others on these boards - likely ScottBee will be able to provide better info on them.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Dennis

This is such an informative thread but too many pages to go back and look for the answer to my question. So here it is (please forgive me if it has already been answered).

I tried to contact Canada Place. They sent me over to some other site. I sent them an email, but they did not respond.

I know that Canada Place has storage capabilities, but wondered if it was only for the day. I would like to leave my carry on for 24 hours. I will be getting off one ship, overnighting, and then getting on another ship. Then I would only take a backpack with me to the hotel for an overnight stay. Will I be able to access this storage area before getting checked back in?

Thank you,

Renee

DH and I will be in Vancouver for three nights beginning on the 17th and we wanted to do China Town at night. Would you recommend the one in Richmond or the one right downtown?

I wouldn't really recommend either Chinatown at night. Richmond's 'Chinatown' is really just the shopping district for a large chunk of Chinese populations, and consists of your typical malls (try Aberdeen Centre if you want to see a Chinese higher end mall). Downtown's Chinatown is (as someone else mentioned) on the edge of a very undesirable part of town, wander two blocks and you might not appreciate what you see.

You might want to consider the "Richmond Night Market" http://www.richmondnightmarket.com/ which is out by the airport, and very easy to reach via Canada Line Skytrain. It's certainly a feast for the senses, with great food, live entertainment, and booths selling everything.

Was there something specific you were looking for?

There are lots of restaurant opportunities near your hotel from fast food pizza and sushi places to sit down family restaurants to more upscale dining.

The White Spot http://www.whitespot.ca is close by - there is a Denny's as well -

If into Greek food there is Stepho's on Davie - however it has long lineups most nights so an alternate might be the Adonis on Granville - there is a cafe/lounge in the hotel as well

Nando's chicken is around the corner - have eaten there several times and enjoy it.

You are also just a short walk to the little ferries that go to Granville Island - lot's of food options there.

Our downtown is quite compact - a mile in either direction and enough restaurants to last a good long time.

Some of the other locals will likely be along to give some more ideas.

Cheers

Dennis

I'm a fish out of water here! I have so many connections to make, I'm feeling overwhelmed! I have read and read, taken notes, and then crawled away from the computer..so much to read!

We fly into Seattle on Aug 31st arriving at SEA at 11:25. We are hoping to then take the bus or train (once we figure out from where..still reading on that) from SEA to Vancouver. It sounds like we will be at the airport in Vancouver at the end..is that correct?

From there, we need to get a hotel, hopefully from walking distance to a HOHO to sight see. Do any of the hotels have airport pick up (assuming thats where the bus or train from SEA drops us), and then once at our hotel, do any of them have transport to the dock (Princess)? Not fussy about the hotel (hope to stay under $100 a night), other than we'd like it to be in an area we feel comfortable walking around.

Once we come back from that two week cruise, we are spending another night in Vancouver (the 16th) and leaving on Carnival (same port?) the 17th.

Can someone offer me some guidance? Especially getting from SEA to Vancouver. Also, I don't see any Segway tours in Vancouver. Looks like others have asked and been told no..has that changed since it was last asked?

I did do a lot of reading, but it's hard to pick out where the area's are, since I've never been there.

Thanks so much!

I wouldn't really recommend either Chinatown at night. Richmond's 'Chinatown' is really just the shopping district for a large chunk of Chinese populations, and consists of your typical malls (try Aberdeen Centre if you want to see a Chinese higher end mall). Downtown's Chinatown is (as someone else mentioned) on the edge of a very undesirable part of town, wander two blocks and you might not appreciate what you see.

You might want to consider the "Richmond Night Market" http://www.richmondnightmarket.com/ which is out by the airport, and very easy to reach via Canada Line Skytrain. It's certainly a feast for the senses, with great food, live entertainment, and booths selling everything.

Was there something specific you were looking for?

The Richmond Night Market - that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. Do you know if that is on a Friday night or a Saturday night? Oh wait, I just edited this post, you posted a link! Doh! Thank you again!

Edited by vermonter16

Any thoughts on tobacco shops in Vancouver? I'm looking for Djarum Special Clove cigarettes which can no longer be purchased in the states. You can purchase them in cigar form, but not cigarette form. Also - the night market link isn't working for me right now. But - do you know if it is on a Friday or Saturday night? Thanks!

Edited by vermonter16

I'm a fish out of water here! I have so many connections to make, I'm feeling overwhelmed! I have read and read, taken notes, and then crawled away from the computer..so much to read!

We fly into Seattle on Aug 31st arriving at SEA at 11:25. We are hoping to then take the bus or train (once we figure out from where..still reading on that) from SEA to Vancouver. It sounds like we will be at the airport in Vancouver at the end..is that correct?

From there, we need to get a hotel, hopefully from walking distance to a HOHO to sight see. Do any of the hotels have airport pick up (assuming thats where the bus or train from SEA drops us), and then once at our hotel, do any of them have transport to the dock (Princess)? Not fussy about the hotel (hope to stay under $100 a night), other than we'd like it to be in an area we feel comfortable walking around.

Once we come back from that two week cruise, we are spending another night in Vancouver (the 16th) and leaving on Carnival (same port?) the 17th.

Can someone offer me some guidance? Especially getting from SEA to Vancouver. Also, I don't see any Segway tours in Vancouver. Looks like others have asked and been told no..has that changed since it was last asked?

I did do a lot of reading, but it's hard to pick out where the area's are, since I've never been there.

Thanks so much!

The train and the Amtrak bus from SEA are going to drop you just east of the downtown core in what might be described as a light industrial area. I know of no hotels have a pick up from there, however you can take a cab to almost anywhere into downtown for about $10 or you can walk across the street and take SkyTrain for $2.75 pp. The Quick Coach shuttle from Seattle does make some stops in the downtown area which may be convenient to your hotel.

Vancouver's downtown is very compact and few hotels are more than a mile from each other and Canada Place. Also most will be within a few blocks of a HOHO stop. The real issue is a hotel under $100 per night...it just doesn't exist....keeping it under $200 p/n is a challenge. If you watch Hotwire or do some bidding on Priceline you can often get a deal in the $125 to $150 range.

As for Segway's, Ut who lives downtown may have different information but to my knowledge there isn't any...it is a licensing issue.

Any thoughts on tobacco shops in Vancouver? I'm looking for Djarum Special Clove cigarettes which can no longer be purchased in the states. You can purchase them in cigar form, but not cigarette form. Also - the night market link isn't working for me right now. But - do you know if it is on a Friday or Saturday night? Thanks!

I had never heard of the product but it appears that both the City Cigar Company and Alpha Tobacco carries them. There may be other small shops in the downtown area that carry them as well. If not, then Alpha would be the closest to a downtown hotel.

http://www.citycigarcompany.com/

http://alphatobacco.com/

Thanks for the info. The train is a little confusing..when it says no checked luggage, can we still bring our luggage on ourselves, do you know?

I did find Sandman on St Edward for $104 plus tax. Is that still within a $10 or so cab ride of where the train drops us off, and then the port? Is it anywhere near the HOHO bus for sight seeing?Is it a good neighborhood? I'm confused because it says downtown, but it also says Richmond, not Vancouver.

Bummer about the segways, but we have a great place we ride them when in HI, so that will have to do for us.

The train and the Amtrak bus from SEA are going to drop you just east of the downtown core in what might be described as a light industrial area. I know of no hotels have a pick up from there, however you can take a cab to almost anywhere into downtown for about $10 or you can walk across the street and take SkyTrain for $2.75 pp. The Quick Coach shuttle from Seattle does make some stops in the downtown area which may be convenient to your hotel.

Vancouver's downtown is very compact and few hotels are more than a mile from each other and Canada Place. Also most will be within a few blocks of a HOHO stop. The real issue is a hotel under $100 per night...it just doesn't exist....keeping it under $200 p/n is a challenge. If you watch Hotwire or do some bidding on Priceline you can often get a deal in the $125 to $150 range.

As for Segway's, Ut who lives downtown may have different information but to my knowledge there isn't any...it is a licensing issue.

I had never heard of the product but it appears that both the City Cigar Company and Alpha Tobacco carries them. There may be other small shops in the downtown area that carry them as well. If not, then Alpha would be the closest to a downtown hotel.

http://www.citycigarcompany.com/

http://alphatobacco.com/

Thanks. Just what I needed!

Thanks for the info. The train is a little confusing..when it says no checked luggage, can we still bring our luggage on ourselves, do you know?

I did find Sandman on St Edward for $104 plus tax. Is that still within a $10 or so cab ride of where the train drops us off, and then the port? Is it anywhere near the HOHO bus for sight seeing?Is it a good neighborhood? I'm confused because it says downtown, but it also says Richmond, not Vancouver.

Bummer about the segways, but we have a great place we ride them when in HI, so that will have to do for us.

I have never had a problem with luggage checked or not check on the train.

The Sandman you are referring to is out in Richmond near the airport and no it would be more like a $35 cab fare from the train station and it is miles from any HOHO stop. If you are staying out there you will be spending at least 35 mins each commuting into the downtown area.

You could look into the YWCA on Beatty St. While I don't consider it a hotel it is clean, safe, more in your price range and gets you downtown.

This is such an informative thread but too many pages to go back and look for the answer to my question. So here it is (please forgive me if it has already been answered).

I tried to contact Canada Place. They sent me over to some other site. I sent them an email, but they did not respond.

I know that Canada Place has storage capabilities, but wondered if it was only for the day. I would like to leave my carry on for 24 hours. I will be getting off one ship, overnighting, and then getting on another ship. Then I would only take a backpack with me to the hotel for an overnight stay. Will I be able to access this storage area before getting checked back in?

Thank you,

Renee

I know that Priority Baggage is not good about returning emails so I have phoned them. Yes, they have confirmed that they will hold checked luggage at Canada Place overnight.