Where to put carry ons??

Just wondered what you do with your carry ons when you first board and are unable to put them in your stateroom until 1pm (ish). Do you take them to the Windjammer for lunch and put them at a table whilst you get your food???

Silly question I know, but am a first timer????!!!

Considering your carry on will contain any valuables (jewelry or electronics) and/or medicines, since you should NEVER check that kind of stuff, I wouldn't let it out of my sight. Take turns.

Not a silly question at all, B-T-W. We have that dilemma every time we board. But, we really do try to stay out of our cabin even to drop them off. The Stewards deserve an unhindered chance to get everything ready. I agree...take turns.

Depending on the size of the party I'm traveling with, I usually just put my bags on the empty seats at my table at the WJ. I try to keep my carry-ons to a minimum, especially if I'm boarding very early and will have an hour or two with them onboard.

Is there any rhyme or reason to the order in which staterooms are prepared...such as following the order in which non-RCL transport people were disembarked? Do they clear people out deck by deck so if they get started cleaning some decks are ready sooenr than others? Like form top down or bottom up? Or is it just sort of random?

Just trying to get a sense for if we will have a shot at getting to stateroom a little earlier than 1pm.

We always just take a backpack with our "pool" stuff in it. That way we don't have to worry about lugging a suitcase around until we can get in the room. I have seen suitcase left all along the walls at the WJ and always am so thankful that I just bring my backpack. Don't need anything that bad before my luggage gets there that I have to take a suitcase with me. Backpack holds my pool stuff, valuables, and that is all I need until my luggage arrives to my room.

Is there any rhyme or reason to the order in which staterooms are prepared...such as following the order in which non-RCL transport people were disembarked? Do they clear people out deck by deck so if they get started cleaning some decks are ready sooenr than others? Like form top down or bottom up? Or is it just sort of random?

Just trying to get a sense for if we will have a shot at getting to stateroom a little earlier than 1pm.

Seems lately they just keep the doors to all hallways locked until 1 p.m. so no one can access them.

Disembarkment order is based on several factors including the passengers flight arrangement, crown and anchor status, suite guests and several others. It is not done deck by deck.

There doesn't appear to be any particular order in which the cabins are prepared for the new passengers. And, ready or not, on all of our recent sailing they have not let passengers into their staterooms until 1:00 PM.

They even had signs on the hallway doors and had hall monitors near the stairwells to keep passengers out of the room corridors.

The only exception to the rule seems to apply to passengers who in the middle of a B2B cruise. They are allowed back into their stateroom.

We've been on a couple ship tours and have been in the area where they are still cleaning the cabins. The hallways are filled with carts, dirty linens, vacuum cleaners etc... I think some ships even bring aboard help for the day. You don't want to be there, the cabins are empty and open to anyone, you really don't want to leave anything in the closet since it would be in sight to anyone passing by.

Since the pax all over the ship have different departures and not everyone vacates at the time they are supposed to, your theory just doesn't work like you would think.

What we've done to aleviate the carrying around the ship all your valuables is to start boarding later. We have been on enough cruises to know that we aren't missing much, lunch at the Windjammer isn't that good. We have found that when you board later you can usually avoid some of the crowd and there is no wait time in the terminal, you just check in and walk right onto the ship. You can go straight to your cabin upon embarkation and oddly enough, our luggage shows up a lot sooner.

We Boarded about 3 pm and went right to our room. Our bags were there in just a little while . It was maybe an hour. I showed the DW around the ship. Once again , thanks for all the help and info here.

I've always wondered too....we always try to board right around 1, so we can drop our stuff off and then run around like crazy people doing what we do without worrying. I tend to carry-on a lot: tote bag full of toiletries/makeup/jewelry/swimsuit) plus my laptop (I download and label my photos every night) plus my purse. I have held onto the rule my parents gave us kids: if you can carry it, you can bring it---but don't expect anyone else to help you! :)

If we are able to board early, we go grab a lounge chair in the solarium or in a bar area, get the first foo-foos of the trip, then alternating going and making reservations for places like the spa and specialty restaurants. Then maybe, if we are starting to get hungry (and rooms aren't ready yet), we'll head to the Windjammer. In that case, one of us will go sit down with the stuff and the other will go fill their plate.

When I'm traveling solo, I just wait until I get into my room and drop off my stuff before heading to the Windjammer.

After our first cruise of fighting with our normal carry on bags while trying to do the buffet we decided it was easier to just use a backpack. That way you hands are free and you aren't having to decide who gets to sit and wait while the others go get their food or drinks. It is also handy for strolling around the ship with a drink in your hand until you can get to your cabin. Happy sailing!

I don´t think this is offered on all ships and all sailings but I´ve seen the offer to check your carry on once on the ship until the cabins are ready and have it delivered then.

However I never used it as to me this is somehow contrary to the carry-on idea and I could have checked the stuff at the pier in the first place then:rolleyes:

since we know we will have to carry these around with us we try not to carry too much on...it can be a hassle if you or those around you are trying to carry on or roll things around the ship that bever should have been carried on...we usually keep it to a backpack and a small roller or computer bag between the 2 of us...everything else we check and get later when it is delivered to the room

We don't take any carryons at all. Our luggage has always been at our stateroom well before dinner and we don't really need anything else until it arrives. Then no worries about where to put it!

Archived