Live from the Carnival Freedom !!!

Wennfred

Does anyone know where does RCCL ships are built? I mean what country?

Per Wikipedia, that great wealth of information:

Genesis-, Freedom-, & Voyager-class ships: Finland

Radiance-class: Germany

Vision-class: some France, some Finland

Sovereign-class: France

Day 3 AT SEA also Puerto Rico

I wrote a letter to the Chief Purser Officer concerning Wendy's Platinum perks and to add her int the system as a

Member and I handed it over a Purser officer, then I went and sat down in the main lobby bar and ordered a Miami

Vice, I figured out now that if you want a nice strong drink get it there The Atrium main lobby bar. its the bar

next to the Pursers deck and its also located where you first enter the ship in Miami. This Miami Vice drink

finally knocked me on my ass. LOL It was nice and strong. They also used the foo foo drink class which is bigger

then the other places. I used my drink coupon for it. If you use Drink Coupons go there for your drinks.

While sitting there at the bar I asked a lady next to me what was her Card, she had a nice cool different Sail &

Sign type of card, it turned out to be a Alchol (sp) cant spell because of the Miami Vice, Booze card, she told me

that she paid 100.00 pp, 200.00 per cabin and you get unlimited drinks, I know we had threads on this but I told

her you needed to be in a group to get that offer, she told me, all that is needed is to contact a T/A and ask if

there are any groups going that has the unlimited drinks card. Thats a good idea. She joined a group and was part

of the Drink Card deal, so they are hanging out at the Lobby Bar trying everything out LOL. She even told me they

dont know what they got into because they are drinkers. She saw my Drink and ordered a Miami Vice herself.

While chatting with this nice lady from Queens N.Y. a Purser Officer, her name is Tamara, she is up there in rank

because of her shoulder bars and also has assisted me in the past, she speaks good english because she is from

England I believe, anyways she saw me at the bar and introduced herself, she wanted to talk to me about the letter

I wrote to the Chief Purser and she told me that now, part of the new changes, the Cabin even thou there are 2

Platinum guest members now only one gets the 1 gift. She said still you can come to the Platinum Concierge desk

and request another gift for the 2nd person but for now only 1 gift is given. I did tell her that we both had

platinum cards and we both have sailed on 10 different cruises and she told me correct we are ok because she had

checked.

So thats the deal now with Platinum Perks, 1 per cabin unless you request another one, just check with the Pursers

Desk. One of CEO Gerry's new implimentations on cut backs I guess.

Does anyone know where does RCCL ships are built? I mean what country?

Fred

RCCL ships are usually built in the Akers Chipyards in Finland. They have the contract for the Freddom class and the Genesis class.

Puerto Rico Day 3

We got lucky on this cruise, we made it into Puerto Rico around 3:45pm, lots of sun and we debarked the ship to

head on our Sunset walking tour, really it was a Sunny Walking tour of Old San Juan, at 4:15pm we were off, the

tour took way longer then 1.5 hours, this tour guide was very slow, then there was a Spanish family from Spain that

wanted the tour guide to translate in spanish and the guide said no, that you booked a tour on an American Cruise

ship and that he was sorry, he also said if he had time he would translate some, well he did and thats why the tour

took too long. For Wendy it was boring as we didnt go into any of the 2 forts nor went into a church. Everything as

far as Art Museum were closed on Mondays. Towards the end of the tour we just left, I gave the tour guide a tip

and told him thanks and we and another family took off. From where we left we can see the Ships Funnel over the

trees so we headed in that direction. We headed to the Hard Rock Cafe to get Wendys brother some Drum Sticks and

Shot Glasses from there. We also went to eat some good athentic Puerto Rican food at Restaurante Raices but since

it was a very good spot it was way too busy, we made reservations and she told us 30 minutes, I think it was more

of 1.5 hour wait if we had waited, We got some gifts here locally, I got to drink my Mavi, Mavi is a Puerto Rican

drink made out of some roots, its very good and tasty, it was the drink made by the Tanino Indians back in the day.

We returned back to Freedom to have some Dinner at 8:15pm. The Carnival Cruise terminal there across the street

from the Sherlton is where we docked.

The tour was long but we still had a great time in Old San Juan. Wendy wants to return 2 days ahead of time and

take a cruise ship out of here, that way I can rent a car and head to see my uncles and aunts south of San Juan in

a town called Humacao.

Dinner time here onboard Freedom

We had Filet Mignon tonight and I ordered the Chicken Breast also, both were very tasty, Wendy and Cathy ordered

the Warm Chocolate Melting cake, they were both in heaven. Cathy said she loves everything about the ship and all

of the food has been very good. This comes from a first time cruiser.

The food onboard Freedom has been very good, not bland as people have said from other ships. It doesn't matter what

you order its all good.

I asked to speak to the Maitre'D and the Asst. Maitre'D heard me and asked me if I needed anything, I told him yes

I like to see Dino if he isn't too busy, Since most people are still having fun outdoors in Puerto Rico, the dining

room wasn't too full tonight, infact the 70 Year old waiter, his name is MIM and he is from Korea, non of his

passengers showed up for dinner. Later Dino came by and I thanked him for the table he got us and also the 2

Waiters are the best in the fleet. I then told him that he had a fan base on Cruise Critic and that alot of people

knew him and said nothing but good things about him, That really made his day, he asked me what color wine I like

Red or White, we told him we were ok and that we didnt drink wine, I told him Wendy was a Champagne drinker but not

to worry about it, He was so happy, we talked alittle more about a few things and then he left, immediately our

waiter Leo came with the bottle of Champagne, Dino is a great guy.

Dino also stated that Maitre'D Ken is currently on Vacation.

We are back in our cabin changing, the Marcus Anthony Motown show starts in 1 hour.

Wendy finally got her Platinum Stationary and we finally got our Carnival Vacation Club chocolate dipped

strawberries. For CVC Members, make sure you contact them and let them know what ships you are sailing on, I did

that twice and they still dropped the ball. They will be getting a call from me when I get back.

Bridges of Madison County was just on here in TNT Puerto Rico, I love that move.

By the way, The Asian window on the side of Lido Deck is no longer Asian, its now Mexican food.

Fred

Puerto Rico Day 3

We got lucky on this cruise, we made it into Puerto Rico around 3:45pm, lots of sun and we debarked the ship to

head on our Sunset walking tour, really it was a Sunny Walking tour of Old San Juan, at 4:15pm we were off, the

tour took way longer then 1.5 hours, this tour guide was very slow, then there was a Spanish family from Spain that

wanted the tour guide to translate in spanish and the guide said no, that you booked a tour on an American Cruise

ship and that he was sorry, he also said if he had time he would translate some, well he did and thats why the tour

took too long. For Wendy it was boring as we didnt go into any of the 2 forts nor went into a church. Everything as

far as Art Museum were closed on Mondays. Towards the end of the tour we just left, I gave the tour guide a tip

and told him thanks and we and another family took off. From where we left we can see the Ships Funnel over the

trees so we headed in that direction. We headed to the Hard Rock Cafe to get Wendys brother some Drum Sticks and

Shot Glasses from there. We also went to eat some good athentic Puerto Rican food at Restaurante Raices but since

it was a very good spot it was way too busy, we made reservations and she told us 30 minutes, I think it was more

of 1.5 hour wait if we had waited, We got some gifts here locally, I got to drink my Mavi, Mavi is a Puerto Rican

drink made out of some roots, its very good and tasty, it was the drink made by the Tanino Indians back in the day.

We returned back to Freedom to have some Dinner at 8:15pm. The Carnival Cruise terminal there across the street

from the Sherlton is where we docked.

The tour was long but we still had a great time in Old San Juan. Wendy wants to return 2 days ahead of time and

take a cruise ship out of here, that way I can rent a car and head to see my uncles and aunts south of San Juan in

a town called Humacao.

Dinner time here onboard Freedom

We had Filet Mignon tonight and I ordered the Chicken Breast also, both were very tasty, Wendy and Cathy ordered

the Warm Chocolate Melting cake, they were both in heaven. Cathy said she loves everything about the ship and all

of the food has been very good. This comes from a first time cruiser.

The food onboard Freedom has been very good, not bland as people have said from other ships. It doesn't matter what

you order its all good.

I asked to speak to the Maitre'D and the Asst. Maitre'D heard me and asked me if I needed anything, I told him yes

I like to see Dino if he isn't too busy, Since most people are still having fun outdoors in Puerto Rico, the dining

room wasn't too full tonight, infact the 70 Year old waiter, his name is MIM and he is from Korea, non of his

passengers showed up for dinner. Later Dino came by and I thanked him for the table he got us and also the 2

Waiters are the best in the fleet. I then told him that he had a fan base on Cruise Critic and that alot of people

knew him and said nothing but good things about him, That really made his day, he asked me what color wine I like

Red or White, we told him we were ok and that we didnt drink wine, I told him Wendy was a Champagne drinker but not

to worry about it, He was so happy, we talked alittle more about a few things and then he left, immediately our

waiter Leo came with the bottle of Champagne, Dino is a great guy.

Dino also stated that Maitre'D Ken is currently on Vacation.

We are back in our cabin changing, the Marcus Anthony Motown show starts in 1 hour.

Wendy finally got her Platinum Stationary and we finally got our Carnival Vacation Club chocolate dipped

strawberries. For CVC Members, make sure you contact them and let them know what ships you are sailing on, I did

that twice and they still dropped the ball. They will be getting a call from me when I get back.

Bridges of Madison County was just on here in TNT Puerto Rico, I love that move.

By the way, The Asian window on the side of Lido Deck is no longer Asian, its now Mexican food.

Fred

is the food at this resst in pr good?we will be there on my daughter's bday and would like to do something special.

Fred,

No dancing nor colors at our seating either. The entire staff did line up and sing an Italian song.

We sat at the Captains table tonight which was nice. :) We were too busy with pictures to make it to the Captain's party though. :o

what is acolor war??/

Freedom Day 3 Puerto Rico Departing :(

WOW, Marcus Anthony Motown show was even better, Cathy my mother-in-law loved the show also. He first played

Cathy's favorite song which is called Higher and Higher by Jackie Wilson... Tonight Freedom continues the party up

on Lido, they have a Mexican Buffet and we depart in 10 minutes Midnight. We must have a Aft thrusters under us

because we be shaking as we pull away from the pier, bye bye San Juan, home of my ancestors.

GOT SOME GOOD NEWS FOR TOMORROW:

Because its the last Eastern Carribbean cruise for Freedom before they head back to Europe, instead of leaving St.

Thomas at 5:30pm we will now leave at 10pm !!! more fun hours to spend in St. Thomas. The ship will take on some

engineers and maintence people tomorrow to ensure the ship is ready for the trip to Europe. Thats the reason we are

staying until 10pm. It will not affect our arrival time in St. Marteen and to top things off, St. Thomas is going

to be beautiful sunny with temps in the 85's. We are getting off the ship after breakfast and go look around, we

have an excursion with Godfrey Tours at 10am, since we are leaving at 10pm tomorrow night there shouldnt be any

rush on this tour. We are suppose to get a drink called the Bush Wacker there in St. Thomas.

I got to get up tomorrow at 6am to film the arrival into St. Thomas and then breakfast in the dining room at 8am,

the ship is due to arrive into St. Thomas at 7am to disembark around 7:30am.

Tommorrow while in St. Thomas, the Main Production Show is called Jump, Jive & Wail, its suppose to be a high

impact swing type dance.

Tonights Movies are Sydney White and Rush Hour 3.

Everyone made it onboard tonight, there were no calls for late people.

Thanks for the info on where the RCCL ships are built, the Internet guy wanted to know. Thanks again you guys

rock.

Typo's Words I mis-spelled in my last post:

Taino not Tanino

Movie not Move

Sheraton not Sherlton

Fred

Q & A's

4kidsplusty,

I can only say that the resturants in P.R. are good because I'm Puerto Rican and love the native local foods here,

a block up from the cruise terminal is a street with the Hard Rock Cafe, a resturant called Raices, one called

Tamarine which both cook up P.R. Food, Tamarine is more touristy and another one called Lucys which is Mexican, I

can get mexican anywhere in San Diego or even in T.J. so the last thing I want to see is a Taco or Burrito. There

are many more resturants like the Parrot Club which you can look up online, alot trendy and pricy but would be a

cool place to have your kids birthday party depending on her age.

Color Wars:

Carnival used to Separated the Dining room into 3 colors, Red White & Blue. During the week when someone won an

event they would ask what color team are you in and they would tally the points, no one ever won anything. It was

alittle competion between the 3 color teams.

Every night at dinner the Maitre'D would annouce over the loud speaker the points for each team and everyone would

yell scream and clap etc. It got very noisey, something that I which they did without especially in the dining

room.

From reviews I have read on many ships it seems like they are doing away with it and on Freedom they did!!! Its has

been nice and quiet in the Aft dining room where we are located.

ClerkPatsy,

I write these Live reviews so I don't have to write one when I get home LOL, I will post alot of pictures and also

start a threads like "The Mongolian Grill" and post the pictures when I get home.

FOR HandyCap Disability PEOPLE:

There is a HC Cabin onboard Freedom, I beleive it was 6209 that the toilet area does not have bars or rails to hold

on too, this HC person with a Scooter told me he was upset because he had problems using the bathroom. I told him

to contact the Purser to let them know, hopefully they will move him to another HC cabin, also they will note it in

the comments card. So if you are booking this cabin, make sure you select another one.

Fred

Fred, you're wanted on the Tendor thread...

Post the Link, and tell me what happen? Way too many pages to read on the Tendor thread as this internet is way too slow. Charging for Tenders now?

Fred

Too, too much fun with the tenders thread! Two out of three threads have already gone poof! I would post the thread here but I don't want to jeopardize your "live from post" by causing trouble. Over 230 posts in under 1/2 hour for the second thread - you should have seen it! :D

Anyhoo... how exciting that you get to stay in St. Thomas late into the evening!! :p

Glad you all are having a great time.

Hey Fred,

Loving your live review. We are planning to book the Freedom Jan 3/09. I would like to book tomorrow and wonder if you might be able to give some advice. We are looking at deck 6 but of course are a little worried about noise from the lounges below - I am a light sleeper. Also we could book an aft balcony but are wondering how private they are. We have been spoiled with the extended balconies on the Spirit Class ships, but have also noticed the Spirit Class afts are no very private. Is this the same on Freedom.

TIA for any advice!!

Payd:)

Fred- thanks for the news on Ken the maitre'd. Though with the change in dining times, we will probably be "placed" in the chic dining room this time, as we have a cabin more towards the bow. (last cruise, we were a few from the aft, and placed in posh) BTW - your cruise isn't the last Eastern itinerary - we are doing it on 4/19. At least we know the ship will be in good shape for the last U.S. cruise before the crossing! Sounds like you are having fun - love the updates!

Hi Fred -

I am excited everytime I read more about your trip and the ship! I am glad to hear that the food is tasting good and that the Asian side is now Mexican food. Try something for us. :D I am also glad to hear Cathy is having such a nice time. My mom loved her cruise and will be going back with us is 2009.

Take care!

Lisa

Q & A's

4kidsplusty,

I can only say that the resturants in P.R. are good because I'm Puerto Rican and love the native local foods here,

a block up from the cruise terminal is a street with the Hard Rock Cafe, a resturant called Raices, one called

Tamarine which both cook up P.R. Food, Tamarine is more touristy and another one called Lucys which is Mexican, I

can get mexican anywhere in San Diego or even in T.J. so the last thing I want to see is a Taco or Burrito. There

are many more resturants like the Parrot Club which you can look up online, alot trendy and pricy but would be a

cool place to have your kids birthday party depending on her age.

Color Wars:

Carnival used to Separated the Dining room into 3 colors, Red White & Blue. During the week when someone won an

event they would ask what color team are you in and they would tally the points, no one ever won anything. It was

alittle competion between the 3 color teams.

Every night at dinner the Maitre'D would annouce over the loud speaker the points for each team and everyone would

yell scream and clap etc. It got very noisey, something that I which they did without especially in the dining

room.

From reviews I have read on many ships it seems like they are doing away with it and on Freedom they did!!! Its has

been nice and quiet in the Aft dining room where we are located.

ClerkPatsy,

I write these Live reviews so I don't have to write one when I get home LOL, I will post alot of pictures and also

start a threads like "The Mongolian Grill" and post the pictures when I get home.

FOR HandyCap Disability PEOPLE:

There is a HC Cabin onboard Freedom, I beleive it was 6209 that the toilet area does not have bars or rails to hold

on too, this HC person with a Scooter told me he was upset because he had problems using the bathroom. I told him

to contact the Purser to let them know, hopefully they will move him to another HC cabin, also they will note it in

the comments card. So if you are booking this cabin, make sure you select another one.

Fred

thanks for all the info.you seem like awonderful person.i hope you and your family enjoy the rest of your cruise. can't wait to hear the rest

Patricia

Jonsmom-

To save Fred some internet minutes - I just called Carnival, as we are listed to stay at St. Thomas until 3 p.m. during our 4/19 Eastern sailing. There has been no time change made - I guess Fred was the lucky sailing to get to stay later. Hope this helps.

Jonsmom-

To save Fred some internet minutes - I just called Carnival, as we are listed to stay at St. Thomas until 3 p.m. during our 4/19 Eastern sailing. There has been no time change made - I guess Fred was the lucky sailing to get to stay later. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info - I would have loved to see a sunset in St. Thomas.

I can't believe we are 11 days away!

Freedom Day 4 St. Thomas

Another beautiful day in paradise. Its 8am and Wendy and Cathy are off to breakfast down in the dining room, I will

be topside taking some pictures. We have to meet Godfrey at 10am and tonights show for Late seating starts first at

7pm, going to be a good day. Will see ya later.

Fred

Q & A's

Payd,

I don't think that any Balcony is 100% private, stay away from Cabins forward below or above the theater.:D

Pe4all,

Thats what Todd keep telling us that we are the Last Eastern, I think they are taking you somewhere else. I will check and let ya know.:D

Jonsmom,

Chances are yes because it seems that Carnival has a contract here with people to look at the ship and get her ready for the long voyage. What ever they see today will probably be changed out during your week.

Time fly, start packing.:)

St. Thomas is very beautiful, the Sun is out and the water here by the pier is a nice aqua blue. There are nice sailboats anchored around the ship and some of the 6 million dollar boats are docked by the ship also. Alot of beautiful white houses up along the hillside. I hope I can find my Sabretts hotdog stand.

Fred

Archived