to Lucy or not?

abyss

Friends that we usually cruise with are always concerned about how the beds are arranged in the cabin. Those of us old enough to remember "I Love Lucy" know that Ricky and Lucy slept in twin beds. So our friend's concern always is "I do not want Lucy beds in my cabin". We are planning a weekend cruise on the Monarch which appears to have very small cabins. And because of how the cabin is normally set up as two twin beds with a bolster that is attached to the bulkhead, I am seriously thinking, for the first time, of going the "Lucy" route, thereby saving what little floor space there is. This has got me to thinking - how many others of you CCers have done this for the same reason? What is your opinion?

To Lucy or not to Lucy - that is the question!

We tried it ONE time and hated it.......not only cuz the beds were apart,but it seemed like less bed "room" because of the built in bosters on the walls................it was like half a twin...

on a cruise to Bermuda on the Grandeur. Because we booked the cruise so late, we could not get a balcony room and ended up in an Oceanview.

When we arrived in the stateroom, we could not believe how small it was, compared to the JS that we had stayed in, just six months earlier (same ship). :( The beds were put together and we had nowhere to move around or dress. Getting to the window was impossible unless you got on the bed, so we asked the stewardess to divide the beds for us.

Although this gave us more room to get around, we really didn't like being apart. My biggest pet peeve was sleeping against the wall and knowing that someone in the next stateroom was sleeping just inches from me. :eek:

Before:

BermudaGrandeurcruise030.jpg

After:

BermudaGrandeurcruise032.jpg

BermudaGrandeurcruise033.jpg

Friends that we usually cruise with are always concerned about how the beds are arranged in the cabin. Those of us old enough to remember "I Love Lucy" know that Ricky and Lucy slept in twin beds. So our friend's concern always is "I do not want Lucy beds in my cabin". We are planning a weekend cruise on the Monarch which appears to have very small cabins. And because of how the cabin is normally set up as two twin beds with a bolster that is attached to the bulkhead, I am seriously thinking, for the first time, of going the "Lucy" route, thereby saving what little floor space there is. This has got me to thinking - how many others of you CCers have done this for the same reason? What is your opinion?

To Lucy or not to Lucy - that is the question!

My wife and I loved the cozyness....wasn't an issue in our inside cabin, just made sure we had a nightlight to keep from stumping our toes...

and Lucy and Ricky did get to TRY to sleep in the same bed but it sagged in the middle and Fred and Ethel ended up in the double bed, I believe it was on one of their driving trips....Jimmy

DH and I have done it and felt happier overall on the cruise because of the extra space and the feeling of having a sitting area during the day. We could have always pushed them together at night. (It turned out that DH got sick so I didn't mind having a little space between us.)

DH and I have done it and felt happier overall on the cruise because of the extra space and the feeling of having a sitting area during the day. We could have always pushed them together at night. (It turned out that DH got sick so I didn't mind having a little space between us.)

We originally requested beds together on our last cruise. But realized soon after that it made the 119 sq ft cabin seem like a 40 sq ft cabin. I love spooning ;), but we decided to have the beds set up seperate like an L shaped sofa. Gave us seating during the day and just had a hug a pillow at night :D

We had 4 outside cabins with portholes on the Monarch in Dec. The twin configuration made for more room in the cabin. When pushed together, to make an almost queen, they were against one wall. If the inside person had to get up they had to crawl out the bottom. Very small rooms, but none of my claustrophobic sisters had any problems. It is a pretty ship and a fantastic crew.

Separate beds!!!????............ Never!!!!!!!! :D

Our first cruise in 1985 was our honeymoon....and every cruise thereafter.....we still consider a honeymoon.

I agree! Although our first "honeymoon" was for our 25th anniversary (and there have been several more in the last 10 years). We just celebrated our 35th and still like to snuggle. We were on the Enchantment (sister to the Grandeur) for our 25th. Yes, the cabin was a tad small, but, if we wanted to look down at the ocean, we went to the Promenade deck. At night, laying with our heads just under the windows, we could look up at the stars. It really was very romantic and beats the heck out of sleeping up against the wall. :)

2053307480101628544S425x425Q85.jpg

When DH and go on the MOnarch, we do have the beds pushed together, but I push it all the way against one wall, so you have to climb in on one side. But there is just not enough room to walk around the bed at all if it is in the middle.

We will be travelling on the Independance. Four of us in an inside cabin. Is it possible to have the bed as a double at night but 2 singles during the day for more space?:)

Freedom class inside cabins are bigger, with a sofa, and there is room for a nightstand on each side of the bed. I think you will have enough room.

Plus, I don't think your cabin steward would be very happy if you asked him or her to move the beds every day.

2974941020101417785S500x500Q85.jpg

Oh, oops I see you have 4 people, I think I would maybe leave them as twins all the time.

I was contemplating the same exact thing for the first time. We are in an OV on the Sovereign in a few weeks and the room is only 122sq ft.:eek: I wouldn't want to bother the stewart so Is it possible to push the bed together yourself if you wanted 2 twins during the day and a queen at night? Or do you need some kind of tool?

I was contemplating the same exact thing for the first time. We are in an OV on the Sovereign in a few weeks and the room is only 122sq ft.:eek: I wouldn't want to bother the stewart so Is it possible to push the bed together yourself if you wanted 2 twins during the day and a queen at night? Or do you need some kind of tool?

We had the same type room last week. Honestly, I seriously recommend you put them in an L fashion...like a sectional sofa. It is so nice during the day to have it set up for seating. But, yes you could push them apart during the day to each opposing wall and then together during the day. Problem is sheets. Your room steward will need to know how you want them set for PM so he puts proper sheets on. But, you do not need a special tool.

Mmmm, I'll have to see how DH feels about the L setup. He does like to have a seating area but is opposed to sleeping apart at night. Not a big deal about the sheets to me, he always steals them at night so it will probably be better for me in the long run :D Maybe once he sees how tiny the rooms are he'll change his mind. Thanks for the ideas.;)

These are pics from the sovereign with the beds side by side and another in the L shape. You can see the L shape gives a lot more room...but makes it more difficult to put together at PM. Your porthole may be the larger porthole...this was the only pics I could find online to make reference to the bed layout.

sovereign_exterior.jpg

majame2.jpg

Archived