What Is A Good Gift For The Flight Attendants?

lyradd

I'll be flying overseas to LHR soon and would like to give a gift to the flight attendants before I take off. Are there any flight attendants on the boards that could give me a few ideas? THANKS!

I don't think they're allowed to accept gifts. The last time we flew DTW-LGW a passenger tried to give the flight attendant a box of candy, and she refused saying that she was prohibited from taking gifts. I guess they have to be worried about what could be in the candy, sad but real.

So true! They are not permitted to accept any gift but IMO just telling them how much you appreciate all of their hard work and dedication is plenty....Can you imagine all the crap they would have to get rid of if they were permitted to accept a gift and what some idiots might think they deserve in return???:)

I don't think they're allowed to accept gifts. The last time we flew DTW-LGW a passenger tried to give the flight attendant a box of candy, and she refused saying that she was prohibited from taking gifts. I guess they have to be worried about what could be in the candy, sad but real.
I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure.

I do not think they can except traditional gifts, but my DD always draws them pictures on the plane and they always seem to tape them up in the back prep area. (don't know if they really want them lol) Makes my DD's day to see them when she goes for a potty break. Alot of times we get the same crew on the way back and they ask her for another work of art to display. Still the low maint. passenger is always a safe bet as well as a simple thank you. Can never go wrong with some manners ( not implying you don't already have them) seems manners are becoming a lost art these days though in the general public.

I'll be flying overseas to LHR soon and would like to give a gift to the flight attendants before I take off. Are there any flight attendants on the boards that could give me a few ideas? THANKS!

The best gift you can give them is fill out the comment card in your seatback, and list each flight attendant by name, and the great job they've done.

But, a great gift is to greet them when you board, be a low maintenance passenger, and say thank you when you leave!
The best gift you can give them is fill out the comment card in your seatback, and list each flight attendant by name, and the great job they've done.
icon14.gif

Many cabin crew are extrovert and gregarious personalities, and many of them like to chat to passengers as well as their colleagues if and when they have the time to do that. It may not be a gift as such, but it can make their day and yours more pleasant if you get the chance to do it. Who knows, you might even make friends with them!

I've flown a thousand times and to get a simple smile out of the Flight Attendants, I do 1 simple thing.

During the pre-flight safety breifing, I actually remove the safety card from the seat back in front of me and follow along.

If you look around while the briefing is going on, I'd say 98% of the travelers have their attention somewhere else.

They have a tough job, be a low maintance traveler, actually listen to their safety briefing, sit back, relax, and enjoy the flight.

Just curious which airlines stick comment cards in the seatback pocket. The only thing I usually find in there is the emergency landing card, a barf bag, and possibly the SkyMall catalog & inflight magazine.

Ohhhhhh.

When the earlier post said "comment cards in the seat back pockets", I was thinking of loose cards, kinda like the ones you see in a little plastic display near the cash register. Didn't make the connection that it was referring to the ones in the in-flight magazine.

I have a FA that lives next door to me, (male) and he says so many people are so rude and never even say a thank you when served or whatever they might do for you. I make it a point to and when I deboard I always thank them for a pleasent flight and so on, Buck

When I used to get on board, I'd ask the FA "if the Captain had been drinking again":) ... it used to get a big laugh, but its not appreciated anymore!

Seriously, I go out of my way to be polite, friendly and a "good little passenger". If you know you may want a drink, its not hard to be prepared with small bills. I roll my eyes when other passengers are being clueless, or worse, and the FA knows that if push comes to shove, at least some passengers will hopefully form a little social pressure to curb shabby behavior.

I remember the guy who wouldn't get off his phone after 3 warnings and the passenger behind the guy swatted the cell phone abuser with his newspaper. The guy jumped up all indignant, but we all booed, hissed and shamed him back down into his seat. A situation an FA does not need to handle is also a pleasant little gift.

When I used to get on board, I'd ask the FA "if the Captain had been drinking again":) ... it used to get a big laugh, but its not appreciated anymore!

Seriously, I go out of my way to be polite, friendly and a "good little passenger". If you know you may want a drink, its not hard to be prepared with small bills. I roll my eyes when other passengers are being clueless, or worse, and the FA knows that if push comes to shove, at least some passengers will hopefully form a little social pressure to curb shabby behavior.

I remember the guy who wouldn't get off his phone after 3 warnings and the passenger behind the guy swatted the cell phone abuser with his newspaper. The guy jumped up all indignant, but we all booed, hissed and shamed him back down into his seat. A situation an FA does not need to handle is also a pleasant little gift.

I was just looking for a way to make their day a little more pleasant. The airlines make it hard enough on them by packing economy passengers in like sardines. I was on a similar flight where the FA had to repeatedly ask someone to turn off their cell phone. I was ready to perform a rectal insertion.:D

At United our flight attendants are not allowed to accept gifts and gratuities. As has already been noted, just a thank you when you deplane will be most welcome. They have a pretty much thankless job these days and take a lot of abuse for things well beyond their control. I have to say that when I'm at the door to say goodbye to our pax (and to take credit/blame for the landing :) ), about ninety eight percent of the people are polite and do thank the FAs. Now if you want to tip the captain . . . :D JK

Like everyone is saying...smile and greet them when boarding and be a pleasant passenger throughout the flight. Something small I have done at times is, if I am done with "general" interest magazine (like People, etc.), I'll offer it to the flight attendants when de-planing. It gives them some additional reading material during all their travels at no cost and isn't really a "gift". My friends who are flight attendants say that this is appreciated.

Like everyone is saying...smile and greet them when boarding and be a pleasant passenger throughout the flight. Something small I have done at times is, if I am done with "general" interest magazine (like People, etc.), I'll offer it to the flight attendants when de-planing. It gives them some additional reading material during all their travels at no cost and isn't really a "gift". My friends who are flight attendants say that this is appreciated.

I think that is a great idea and one I will do on my next flight in 2 weeks. Thank you for posting it.

I bought the book "99 Ways to make a Flight attendant fly - off the handle", and she suggested chocolate as a gift, but since they are not allowed to accept it now the magazine is perfect.

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone finds it like I did, I thought I'd add an update. Flight attendants often receive gifts of candy and even very rarely, something along the lines of a candle or a souviner pin (like from law enforcement or Olympics pins). But as it has been stated, the best thing you can do for a flight attendant, is provide a note we can turn into our supervisors about how well the service was. Being descriptive and providing exact examples helps. If you can include the FA's name, great, but at least include yours, the flight, city pairing and date is vital. Sometimes, it's the simple things that go farthest. Great crew today...thank you for being so polite...we enjoyed your announcements...please tell the rest of the crew how much we enjoyed the service...these make our day!!! Putting it in writing makes our personel file!

But as it has been stated, the best thing you can do for a flight attendant, is provide a note we can turn into our supervisors about how well the service was.
Some airlines provide a facility on their websites for doing this, too. Always worth doing if you've had a particularly good crew (or crew member).

I always travel with a "womens" type magazine. When they are collecting the trash at the end of the flight I make it a point to ask if they want it, before I toss it in the bag. I have always been answered with a big smile and "YES". I learned years ago when talking with the female FA they have soooo much down time and they love the magazines! :)

Have had some discussions with other travelers and they say that pre-loaded Starbucks gift cards have great appeal. The FAs usually go through airports with Starbucks locations, the cards are easy to carry with you, and passing them to a FA is an easy and discrete process.

Of course, the "orchid" letter for their personnel file is always appropriate.

In fact, that reminds me that I should pick some up cards for my next sets of flights.

I was going to suggest the same thing, although I agree that being a low maintenance pax and saying "thank you" after the flight is probably what they most appreciate.

But any current copy of a general interest magazine could be handed to them when you board with a casual comment of "I'm done with this, if any of you would like it." On a TATL flight, they will generally have some "down" time when they might enjoy it.

I was going to suggest the same thing, although I agree that being a low maintenance pax and saying "thank you" after the flight is probably what they most appreciate.

But any current copy of a general interest magazine could be handed to them when you board with a casual comment of "I'm done with this, if any of you would like it." On a TATL flight, they will generally have some "down" time when they might enjoy it.

Quoting myself here, but I actually just thought of another "non-gift" gift that might be appreciated, especially on your TATL flight to LHR or any other international flight. If you have extra pens lying around, you could bring a handful and give to the FA's when you board, "in case any unprepared pax are asking you for an extra one when filling out their customs forms."

Archived