live from the caribbean princess not a happy camper

starfamily

Dont forget you do have the assurance of your credit card company that you are paying for services and accomadations that meet a certain standard. You do have recourse with your credit card company to chargeback part of your trip to Princess if you are not compensated correctly. Believe me, they dont want to get a chargeback for it.

Dont forget you do have the assurance of your credit card company that you are paying for services and accomadations that meet a certain standard. You do have recourse with your credit card company to chargeback part of your trip to Princess if you are not compensated correctly. Believe me, they dont want to get a chargeback for it.
The original poster needs to have some evidence to back up any attempt at a chargeback. Without it, Princess can simply represent the charge and the bank will bill it to the customer. It's not enough for the customer to just say "I didn't get what I paid for" and have the charges reversed...if that was the case, there'd be a lot of people doing it just so they can cruise for free.

The original poster needs to have some evidence to back up any attempt at a chargeback. Without it, Princess can simply represent the charge and the bank will bill it to the customer. It's not enough for the customer to just say "I didn't get what I paid for" and have the charges reversed...if that was the case, there'd be a lot of people doing it just so they can cruise for free.

Thats why its important to document who you have spoken to and when.

I totally agree, this isn't something the credit card company is going to take care of. It needs to be addressed and something done while onboard. No promises of something when you get home, no suggestions to write a letter to Princess AFTER the cruise, it should be taken care of while the OP is still onboard their cruise.

It is much more difficult to prove something was not received, or you had to go without, after you arrive home then while it is still going on during your sailing. Without proof, or taking care of it while onboard, it turns into more of a 'he said, she said' situation.

I will call and see if they will let me speak with him, I have spoken to a Francesca several times as well as the night manager who could not be bothered to get back to me last night. Our poor room steward is the sweetest thing and beside himself because he can not get anyone to fix it (or even care) It is amazing since I am elite and a commodore you would think that they would try to even basically appease me, I asked for a different cabin so I could take a bath but they claim the ship is full, for six grand I could have gone on many other trips :( BUT I will say the aft view is gorgeous and for those who are worried

A751 has no beam- no hot water lol but no beam

dont let the pursers desk discourage you, you must stand firm and demand, and if they dont get you who you want start making a scene at the Pursers desk, that is not what they want to happen, but only do this as a last resort.

If you ask the pursers desk to page James Deering, and have him return your call, or contact the cruise director staff and ask for James Deering, or ask to speak to the Chief purser.....dont back done, once you make it known that you are not going to go away....they will get you the right people....i had to do this on a Carnival cruise....once you get the scene set, the people will respond....like i said before only do this as a last resort....But i think your problems will be immediately solved, once you reach James Deering.

James Deering does monitor this cruise critic forum. Well anyway good luck.

I too have herniated discsin my lower and have been forbidden to sit in a tub

My physiotherapist recommends ice on the pain for 15 minutes every 4-5 hours

Get a plastic bag fill it with ice wrap around a towel place on sore back

I found it always helped

Good Luck

Michele

While sorry to hear about the issues I wish I could say it is a surprise. My trip on the CB last month was one issue after another. Alternately yelled at, threatened, discriminated against and treated like anything but a valued guest by Princess employees. Management was either unavailable, staff refused to get them or did not return repeated calls or notes.

It's great to know that things have stayed consistent onboard the CB since December 2005. :rolleyes: :(

As far as the credit card chargeback idea...no, that just will not happen, either. Regardless of what names & notes you may arm yourself with, the credit card company will back the corporate monster. The mere fact that you did not receive what you contracted for does not matter.

The simple piece of evidence that you took the cruise, and completed it, is enough for them to determine the charge valid.

Princess flooded Amex with almost one hundred pages of documentation such as when we booked, when we paid our deposit, when we paid our balance, our onboard charges, every page of their "contract" and tons of other assorted paperwork. Not one piece of information they supplied addressed any of the issues that I noted in the 11-page letter I sent to Amex when I disputed the charge.

Amex determined we did take the cruise, and closed the investigation. They refused to reopen the case, even after repeated reviews of my letter and Princess' documentation. Amex actually suggested to us that we should have left the ship mid-cruise if the situation we encountered was "that bad."

Good luck!

It needs to be addressed and something done while onboard. No promises of something when you get home, no suggestions to write a letter to Princess AFTER the cruise, it should be taken care of while the OP is still onboard their cruise.

So True!

In our situation, we were assured a log of our complaints was being made, and would be forwarded to Princess Corporate upon our return. The ship actually told us they were incapable of taking further action onboard.

Princess Corporate denies ever receiving a log, or that a "log" like I was told would ever actually exist.

It's not a he said/she said situation. It's that the ship tells you to talk to Corporate, knowing that by that time, it's too late, and Corporate will blow you off.

Get it taken care of while still onboard!

A couple of years ago we sailed on the Sea Princess in December, right before the holidays. Some of you probably remember the complaint. They were having mechanical problems. We had an aft mini suite, quite costly on the Sea 14 day sailing.

From the first day to the last, each morning as we pulled into port, each evening as we left port, the aft of the ship shook so badly that everything went flying off the shelves in our stateroom and off the tables and counters. We were unable to sleep past 6:00 AM most mornings because of the shaking when pulling into port or even if we anchored off shore. But that was OK, we needed time to pick everything up that was now shaken off the tables and shelves anyway. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Each day was a game of waking early to violent shaking for anywhere from a quarter of an hour to an hour, then 30 minutes or so putting everything back where it belonged after picking it up off the floor. Yes, it was that violent.

OK, we enquired about the problem, and were told it was normal thruster vibration. This not being our first aft cabin we knew that was a bunch of BS but hey, what were they going to do, repair it while at sea? We enquired several times and voiced our complaint verbally only to the pursers desk and our room steward. Realizing that this was a problem that was not going to be repaired anytime soon, we just decided to make the best of it.

We arrived home, and I never contacted Princess about what took place, which was a lot more severe than I described above, but didn't want to go on and on with the description.

Four months later we sailed on the Dawn Princess in an aft full suite. Hummmmmmmmmm, absolutely nothing like on the Sea. Sure, we had the 'slight' vibration you feel aft but not even enough to wake you in the AM, we had this slight vibrations in the past in aft staterooms.

Fast forward to June (6 months after the Sea Princess cruise) and I drop a note to Princess. Quite short and sweet as we were thinking about booking the Sea Princess again as we wanted to sail on a certain itineary. I mentioned the fact in passing about the horrible vibration we encountered on the last cruise and wanted to know if it had been repaired. I also mentioned that we had just returned from the Dawn in an aft suite and found nothing like we lived through on the Sea Princess that we were told onboard was NORMAL. The entire letter was maybe two paragraphs. I did not go into knit picking or nagging or complaining, just stated the facts and requested they let us know if it had been repaired as we were not interested in sailing that ship again until it was.

Did I expect anything from Princess, heavens no, didn't expect they would even send a response. But it made me feel better to let them know I knew for a fact that what we encountered was not NORMAL as we were told it was while onboard. lol

WOW! Within two weeks I received a lovely letter from Princess, of coarse never admitting that there was ever a real problem onboard the Sea. But offering us 28% of our cruise fare from that sailing towards our next cruise (which they knew we had already booked). Now, 28% might not sound like much but it was a large chunk of change, well over $1500.

So, I know for a fact, when the problems are legitimate, and you don't knit pick, they do compensate, even after the fact. Do they do this often? I would say no, probably not. But they did for us.

It is always best to make a stand while onboard with serious problems when they arise and not give up until you talk to the person in charge of that area. If you don't, rarely will compensation be given. It can happen, but it is still very rare.

I applaud Princess for what they did for us, it more than made up for the problems and the 'lack of sleep' on our cruise.

To the OP - I am sorry you are having this problem. Even without back issues (whether hot or cold is best, ect), I would be P!IISED if I could not take a hot (or even warm)s hower in my regular room, let alone a suite I paid a lot of $$$ for! You mentioned you are Elite (I am also), I have found that in the past when I have issues I need to have dealt with, the CC rep has been quite helpful in the past. This is not always the case, I know. Sometimes, they couldnt give a rip about the passengers. But some are very, very nice and super helpful for me. [Let me say as a sidenote for clarification, I am a young Elite (35 yo) - when compared to other Elite members (what, maybe 65+ yo average?), and therefore maybe a little more memorable than just another 85 yo person griping at them (not saying you are doing that, OF COURSE!) I am still friends with a CC rep and she has told me that it is refreshing to have a smiling face walk up (even with problem) rather that DREAD the next demand for a pin or a private lunch with the captain, "Do you know who I AM???", or whatever they want]. I am always VERY nice and try to make their job as easy as possible.

I have drifted off point, sorry - keep in mind, they are technically officers of the ship (I cant remember what her official rank was), and as such are able to go a little higher in the ranks as they see fit to help you.

Cant hurt to try that angle!

Casey

Oh, and also, a couple months ago, I was not getting my credit from a booking bonus. The "Night Manager" routine at the pursers desk is a joke. The only way I was able to get resolution was to find a nice, helpful person at the desk and ALWAYS go back to her so 1) I didnt have to keep starting from the beginning of the explanation every time I approached the counter and 2) so someone at the desk could see that NOTHING was getting done, even with promise after promise of the "night manager" to take care of it. My personal theory :-) is that there is NO night manager, it is their way of blowing you off and hoping you forgot about your problems. Not so much in your case, it is not like you got charged for a drink you didnt order!!! I doubt they are all living with cold water only!

I was going to suggest going to the thermal spa and laying on the warm

tile beds, and I was going to suggest that you ask Princess to comp you

this, but because you're already in a full suite it IS a comp.

At least you can get hot water in the thermal suite. While I understand

you want a hot bath [and I love spa baths] truly, I had back problems

and was advised that hot is the worst thing for it, as others have already

mentioned. But I know, it's the principle of the thing -- you're paying quite a premium for that spa bathroom with your suite.

I think if they don't resolve this then they owe you at least a good portion

of your cruise fare back for the inconvenience of not having hot water.

That would p$ss me off for sure. had that happen in a hotel once and

checked out altogether.

last year there was a heating problem with my parents' cabin and maintenance came right away and tweaked something and then it worked.

Maybe it's more difficult with the boiler, especially if you said your

neighbor's cabin is having difficulty as well. At least if you BOTH complain

maybe you will get some resolution.

Good luck

Im so sorry you are going through this. Back problems are horrible and if a good hot bath is what it takes for some relief, and your stateroom has no hot water, perhaps they should be empathetic and give you at least a Perk for the Spa? Like a massage or something that might give you some temp relief. Show them your pain meds. Tell them your not asking for much in lieu of your hot water situation.

Get things in writing and keep talking patiently and nicely to as many of the upper officers you can. I say this from experience. I had an incident on Carnival, and they did absolutely everything they could do in their power to help me and give me perks to resolve my situation. Which was: my luggage was completely lost after it was taken from me at the dock. I wore my fiance's basketball shorts and a carnival T shirt. How lovely. They gave me a free ladies tux rental. I was able to get spa underwear (paper). When I got to PR, I went to Marshalls and bought clothes. My insurance covered some of my losses, but Carnival really did try everything they could to help me.

Good Luck.

Hi Star

So sorry you are haivng problems. Holidays are so precious they need to be enjoyable not stressful. My husband has a severe back and knee problem, (waiting to have surgery on his knee), so I can appreciate some of what you are going through.

With regards to the complaint issue, we had several problems on our cruise last year with The Coral. Nothing as serious as you are having, however. When I returned home, I am in the UK by the way, I rang the Customer Services Dept and spoke to a lovely lady. She listened and apologised and asked if I would be so kind as to put my complaint in writing with full details. This I did along with the names of the people I had spoken to about our problems whilst on board and the dates. I have to admit the staff I spoke to on board did not really address any of the problems we experienced. I did not ask for any compensation or a refund. I got a standard letter back within 1 week. I then received another letter, approx 4 weeks later, with a partial refund and a voucher for money off any future cruise we booked with Princess. I have to admit I was realy impressed by the way my complaint was handled, so much so that we have booked to go on the Sea Princess next April. I have read many threads on this board about how Princess do not respond to complaints but I can honestly say they were nothing but helpful and concerned when I contacted them and at no time did I get the impression they were not bothered.

I do hope you get your hot water sorted out and that you are able to enjoy the rest of your holiday in comfort and, somewhat, pain free.

I would go to the pursers desk and ask nicley for James Deering. If they do not locate him for you then it's plan B, complain to every staff member/uniform you see.Commodore Romano is usually quite visible I would not be shy about mentioning the problem to him.

Since you are in Elite status I'd also try the Captains Club Host, the deputy Cryuise Director is Stuart Mac not his area but he may get someones attention for you.

Good Luck,

Martini Cruiser

And if you dispute it, Princess will just recharge it as that is not a method of disputing customer service issues. You paid for a cruise and you got a cruise, maybe not to your standards but a cruise nonetheless. You can't dispute a card for part of yoru trip........

(regarding Officer James Deering) I will call and see if they will let me speak with him, I have spoken to a Francesca several times as well as the night manager who could not be bothered to get back to me last night. Our poor room steward is the sweetest thing and beside himself because he can not get anyone to fix it (or even care) It is amazing since I am elite and a commodore you would think that they would try to even basically appease me, I asked for a different cabin so I could take a bath but they claim the ship is full, for six grand I could have gone on many other trips :( BUT I will say the aft view is gorgeous and for those who are worried

A751 has no beam- no hot water lol but no beam

We have sailed with Officer Deering before. HE IS THE BEST! I could not say enough about him.

However, I think he's on the Emerald Princess.

If you are trying to reach him, and the staff does not forward your messages to him, I can tell you for certain he will be very unhappy about it. All Dir of Hotel Ops should be. He will want names.

Check and see if Princess is having a no host Cruise Critic get together that either the Captain, Hotel Mgr, or the Director will be at. We had one on the Dawn Princess, and the first time I met Officer Deering he was at one (not on the Dawn, but a different cruise line).

Also, I know that Officer Deering reads the boards from time to time. I am sure he's not the only one.

Also... my Doctor has me alternating ice and heat on my back. Icing is no fun, but I admit it does help.

Hopefully, you can get this resolved soon!

We have sailed with Officer Deering before. HE IS THE BEST! I could not say enough about him.

However, I think he's on the Emerald Princess.

If you are trying to reach him, and the staff does not forward your messages to him, I can tell you for certain he will be very unhappy about it. All Dir of Hotel Ops should be. He will want names.

Check and see if Princess is having a no host Cruise Critic get together that either the Captain, Hotel Mgr, or the Director will be at. We had one on the Dawn Princess, and the first time I met Officer Deering he was at one (not on the Dawn, but a different cruise line).

Also, I know that Officer Deering reads the boards from time to time. I am sure he's not the only one.

Also... my Doctor has me alternating ice and heat on my back. Icing is no fun, but I admit it does help.

Hopefully, you can get this resolved soon!

James Deering is on the Caribbean Princess for at least 2 more months according to what he said to us at our cruise critic party. The words you expressed above is the same man as i mention! Very dedicated hard working, very knowledgeable Princess employee!

ok I am really trying to keep a good attitude (it helps I just bought a new diamond ring- Grand Jewelers in Saint Martin is the ABSOLUTE BEST, Raj took such good care of me, more on that later..

Anyhow we had set up a private photo shoot in our suite, I figured I might as well get something out of it and my son hates to wear his tux, of course I was given the run around that it was impossible blah blah blah but finally Francesca got that scheduled for 4:30 yesterday of course the plumber interupted it and then they tried to charge me a 40.00 sitting fee but that is nothing new (check your bill daily!!!).

We of course still did not have hot water and I was finally able to meet with the big guy- nice enough fellow (although I was given a huge hassle to get in to see him even though I had an appointment) he was honest which I respected and said they just don't know what the problem is and offered me a spa pass- hello- I am in a suite and elite I already have a spa pass, I did go for a massage and a hot shower in the spa and was feeling a bit better, he even agreed to have someone fill my tub with buckets of water if need be so I could take a bath before bed- I was expecting that to be around 11:00

So anyhow we went to sabatinis, great food, snotty waiter but Angelo the Maitre D came up to see us (what a great guy) and gave him a talking to, we went from dinner back to the room, checked the water and it was cold (what a shock) and headed up for the movie under the stars, it was the sequel to that nicholas cage movie we watched a few years ago (the name escapes me right now, might be because of my head injury lol) anyhow the MUTS was great fun we all snuggled up and were enjoying the show and it started to sprinkle, then the sky just opened up and it was torential rainstorm, I didn't really care and we all just walked to under a sheltered area to watch more of the movie. Then I saw this pool elderly woman, she toppled over some chairs on the wet deck and went down hard, NO ONE DID A THING!! I couldn't get over it, no staff was around and I just acted automatically (hubby says I am a sucker) and ran in the rain towards the next area looking for help, of course running on a wet (good inch of water) deck at night is not a smart idea -especially after one has had a bottle of wine but I was not thinking about me I was thinking of this poor old woman. Anyhow all of a sudden I slipped and cracked down on the hard deck right on the back of my head. It figures my luck- here I was trying to help someone and I get hurt, anyhow there was STILL no one around, I was pretty stunned and finally got someone to help her and started crying and holding my head, then it really started to hurt. They messed around for a good half an hour and got me and the old lady each a wheel chair and put us on a full display through the lobby etc on the way to the med center, luckily I was not embarressed as I was too sore and upset. So anyhow we get into the doctor (what a charming woman she is lol) she basically acts like I was a drunken teenager (it was wine with dinner I was not loopy) gives me motrin and leaves. Oh wait here is the best part, first off they had no real medical ice packs but gave me a bag full of hard ice cubes big chunky ones - she said I can get more from my room steward- and she actually personally never gave me the motrin. We waited for someone to come in for a good five minutes and I was soaking wet and in pain and wanted to go to bed so we decided to leave. We saw the motrin on the counter with my name on it and took it since there was no one around to give it to me. This is MOTRIN not oxycodine or something like that- well holy moley you would think we knocked over the pharmacy, they were calling our room demanding I or my husband come sign for it (so they could bill me the 130.00 office visit- oh and they claimed they needed to instruct me how to take MOTRIN) my husband said he was helping me get into dry clothes and he would sign the paper in the morning, that they had permission to bill us etc. They kept calling back and the doctor actually HUNG UP on my husband. (he happens to be an attorney and knows my rights that I was certainly able to get in bed and rest) so the night manager called (the one who never returned my calls about no hot water) and said that he would bring the papers up to us to sign but the doctor would not release them. Rather than having the phone ringing all night my husband went down and signed it, the nurse then read him the motrin instructions that were printed on the box. So anyhow my neck was not bothering me anymore lol as my head hurt so much and I had a goose egg the size of an orange. the doctor kept poking it calling it an ostrich egg and wanted me to come back in the morning but after that fiasco I would rather sleep in. Here is where it gets funny, I am in the exam room and they must have a tracking system on me as they called to see if I wanted someone to bring buckets of water for my bath. My husband said he thinks I would pass. The doctor apparently did not like my attitude and threatened to send me to the hospital in saint maarten if I didn't quiet down.

So.... guess what, I went to try to wash my lumpy head this morning and we still have no hot water. This is actually funny or maybe it is I have lost my marbles at this point. Anyhow since I have a big lump on my head and can't lay it on a pillow I needed to cancel my spa appointment for today, I was scheduled to have the ladies night special which includes a facial and head massage, well apparently slamming your head on their wet deck while trying to help a fellow passanger is not a valid reason to cancel. They were insisting on charging me for half the appointment. I got the manager on the phone - "delightful woman" Sarah and told her if I had to call Francesca or the big guy I would, she interupted me and said "don't you DARE threaten me, lots of people want your appointment it's cancelled!" and hung up. This is a fun ship, lots of lovely people. So I called Francesca as I am unsure if I can go snorkeling tomorrow because right now my mask would kill my lump on my head. She at least was very kind and said that I can wait until tomorrow to decide. She also added they spent an hour in my cabin last night and accessing the panels and that they finally were able to get some hot water. I was almost sad to have to tell her that whatever hot water she had was long gone. So They are suppossed to have worked on it today, I do not think I will ever get a bath.

BUT the good news is I got a beautiful new ring today, everyone should visit this jeweler his name is Raj and he is on front street and owns Grand Jewelers, he gave me such a deal and has earned a customer for life. Time to go put more ice on my head, oh and see if we can figure out how to correctly dose me with the motrin........... what a fiasco.

Starfamily, I've been reading your oddessy and am just amazed! I'd be in tears by this time.

I don't know who the mucky-mucky are at Princess, but if anyone does, they need to E mail this thread to someone at corporate hq right now.

Best of luck to you and thank God it's only a 7 night cruise!

Oh my god, this is defintely a cruise I don't want to be on. Let's hope nothing else happens before you disembark. Did you happen to board on Friday the 13th or something. :(

Hope the head feels better and you get some hot water real soon.

Archived