Bloody Mary's in Bora Bora

The ship does not provide transportation there. Because I heard it was quite a letdown (it has lost its charm and is now very touristy) we didn't bother going.

I don't know if anyone has actual experience there.

Whatever you decide, I wouldn't figure on missing something because of a meal on board. The food is fine, but the great and/or memorable experiences tend to be on shore!

No the Paul Gauguin does not offer transportation to Bloody Mary's

You will have to get a taxi or rent a car.

Now a lot of excursions (example 4X4 tour) will stop there either going or coming back from off roading.

You probably will hear different comments both ways about Bloody Mary's.

I would recommend you just go there and have a cocktail or something.

VERY expensive and just so so food. You already have paid for a wonderful dinner aboard the Paul Gauguin. Why spend extra for a so so over priced meal?

You really need to see it so you can say you have been there.

PS.

The Paul Gauguin tenders into Bora Bora. Does not dock.

We stopped there on the 4x4 excursion. One look at the prices convinced me I would be better off on the ship. It is very touristy--sand floor, seats made to look like they are made from palm tree trunks, etc. Cat was wandering around (ok with me because I like cats and it didn't look sick but would be a big turnoff to some people).

Bloody Mary's is fun for a drink or perhaps lunch. To me, not going to Bloody Mary's on your first visit to Bora Bora is like going to Paris and not visiting the Eifel Tower. Yes, the prices are steep compared to home and it is touristy, but you are on vacation and you ARE a tourist afterall! :)

It is a short bike, cab, or Le Truck ride from where the tenders come in. Go...get your picture taken out front by the big tiki sculpture...buy a drink and a souvenir t-shirt...and then cross it off your list!

No visit to Bora Bora is complete without stopping for lunch or at least a drink at Bloody Mary's, which is world famous. The setting is tropical and does have the sand floor in case you want to dig your toes in. There is no better way to spend part of an afternoon than in such a great atmosphere. If you get the chance, you also have to check out the restrooms.

Tons of celebrities have been there. It's that kind of place that you'll never find anywhere else.

I also think you should go there (at least for a Bloody Mary). Touristy? Yes (but, aren't we tourists?). High priced -- everything in Tahiti is expensive. Worth it? Definitely!!!!! Walking on in the sand, looking at all of the foreign currenncy displayed on the wall, the cat -- all of it. There is a tour if the island that stops there. While I would not compare it with swimming with rays/sharks, snorkeling or other water sports, I'm happy we stopped by.

P.S. Wouldn't go there to eat -- the food is probably great. . . just would not pay the high prices when you can dine on board the PG!

I had my TA confirm with Regent that the PG WILL indeed have a tender to Bloody Mary's (at least on our cruise on 7/5).

This has been the case on all four of our previous sailings, so I guess I would believe it, but you mileage may vary (as they say).

When we were on the PG in Sep 2005, there was a free tender to Bloody Mary's for dinner. We just had to make a reservation for the tender, and the ship took care of our reservation at the restaurant. We went with a group of 6 (all people my DH and I met on the ship) and had a fabulous time. The atmosphere, the drinks, the carved tiki outside, the restrooms, were all fabulously fun and provided one of our best memories of our trip. Yes, it did cost extra, but it was worth it for us.

Bloody Mary's. . .what an afternoon! My partner, my brother and I picked up a cab at the wharf and took off for a late lunch. It was worth it just to read all the names on the sign boards out front. We had a great time, lunch (I think a round of Chicken Burgers, and a couple of Bloody Mary's each). Hal had arranged a ride back to the tender, but my gal and I hiked back to the wharf. It was a pretty long walk with some shopping along the way (ducked in out of a rainshower). Then some more shopping at the wharf area. We picked up some small bags that contained shells, rocks and impure black pearls that were really inexpensive but worked great for gifts and momento's. It really was a place very touristy but not to be missed. Lunch was the meal to pick as well, there was no way I was going to miss a Gauguin dinner meal!

Mike

PG 2001, 2004

There were a few people from out cruise in 2005 that had a stomach ache after eating there....but...we went, had a drink, checked out the bathrooms (girls, go see the mens room! Very interesting fixtures and pulls), the store and signs.

While I appreciate how many people obviously enjoy Bloody Mary's (if not the food!) the comments make me feel secure that for us the decision to give it a miss was the right one.

For me (and this is as to me, not anyone else) being slapped in the face by that touristy stuff just seems so out of place with my best memory of Bora Bora: Sitting on the aft deck of the PG with my DW about 11:30 pm with a full moon over the mountain peaks...and then watching a total lunar eclipse...while drinking some very nice wine. A simple evening became an incredible experience in Paradise. Much better for me.:)

Eric, I agree. It's not my idea of paradise. On our first trip, after 4 days of barefoot heaven out at the Manihi Pearl, the sight of Bloody Mary's felt like Disneyland. We did have a (very expensive) drink there, but had no desire to go back. Sorry folks, enjoy it if you like that sort of thing.

I agree with the general sentiment that you probably should go to Bloody Mary's just to check it off the lifetime list. We have been for an afternoon drink and for dinner. I would never want to miss a meal on the PG for one at Bloody Mary's. If you go and order a cocktail make sure the bartender/maid knows what you want. I ordered a martini and got a glass of white vermouth.

While I appreciate how many people obviously enjoy Bloody Mary's (if not the food!) the comments make me feel secure that for us the decision to give it a miss was the right one.

For me (and this is as to me, not anyone else) being slapped in the face by that touristy stuff just seems so out of place with my best memory of Bora Bora: Sitting on the aft deck of the PG with my DW about 11:30 pm with a full moon over the mountain peaks...and then watching a total lunar eclipse...while drinking some very nice wine. A simple evening became an incredible experience in Paradise. Much better for me.:)

LOL....that is exactly what my DH and I did the night that Regent was taking people to Bloody Mary's. At first I was disappointed that when we went to sign up it was full but now you have just made me feel 100 percent better about the quiet moment we shared on the aft deck looking up at the stars while we made a toast to a wonderful vacation. Ahhhh I can still picture all of it.....I hope that this lasts forever in my memory and that I never forget the feeling of the FP islands.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh! If everyone knows how great it is on the aft deck while everyone is supposed to be at Bloody Mary's they won't go and our secret fantastic evening (with our respective spouses, that is!) will be ruined on our next cruises.:eek:

I sailed PG on the Dec 1,2007 sailing and we drove past Bloddy mary's on the way to the wave runner excursion. The place was closed and it looked like it had been for a while. Maybe it has since reopened.

By the way...wave runner was great.....but not as ggod as the Kayack in the bay of Bora Bora. I was out for hours...even paddled over to the mariner that was off our stern and spoke with crew members that hung over the bow to chat with me.....a very memorable experience...especially when the sea turtles swam around and under me.

Gee...I think I need another dose of PG.

While I would not go to Bloody Mary's for dinner, I personally found the lunch to be pretty good, the drinks delicious, and the prices to be in line with other spots on Bora Bora. The staff was very nice and accomodating, too. It was a fun change of pace and worth the one time visit. On subsequent visits to Bora Bora we have biked to other places for lunch with the intent of experiencing new places (there is a great beach side shack/restaurant much further down the road where locals hang out), not sure if it even had a name.

I sailed PG on the Dec 1,2007 sailing and we drove past Bloddy mary's on the way to the wave runner excursion. The place was closed and it looked like it had been for a while. Maybe it has since reopened.

By the way...wave runner was great.....but not as ggod as the Kayack in the bay of Bora Bora. I was out for hours...even paddled over to the mariner that was off our stern and spoke with crew members that hung over the bow to chat with me.....a very memorable experience...especially when the sea turtles swam around and under me.

Gee...I think I need another dose of PG.

They were closed (for business...there are no doors to close) a couple of years ago over New Years (05/06)but due to reopen in January. Must be an annual thing.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh! If everyone knows how great it is on the aft deck while everyone is supposed to be at Bloody Mary's they won't go and our secret fantastic evening (with our respective spouses, that is!) will be ruined on our next cruises.:eek:

what aft deck under the stars!!!! :D :D :D :D

I was actually so surprised to see that my DH and I were the only ones out on deck most nights. That is one of our all time favourite things to do, in fact we only went to one show the whole time we were on board:eek:

If you go to Bloody Mary's be sure to take your business card because they have a board to paste it to that is fun to see all the other visitors.

I would not eat dinner there (in place of the PG) unless you went to Bora Bora pre or post cruise and were staying on the island (in which case I would definitely eat one dinner there).

On Bora Bora, my favorite activities are "Off Road Vehicle" and Jet SKi.

Steve

A group of us went to Bloody Mary's on the tender from PG and thought it was one of the best parts of our trip! Touristy? Yes - but still a lot of fun. But maybe that was the drinks and the company...

We thought the food was great (the mesquite rubbed tuna is amazing) and though pricey, it was definitely in line with everything else in Bora Bora.

Archived