Forcing "casual"?

I like how everyone keeps mentioning the $25 fee for the extra bag. As far as I can see it is actually $50, that is, unless you are not planning on bringing it back home with you? :D

Yes, indeed ... it's $25 for that extra bag each way. $50 total. Most bottles of wine aboard ship cost that much or more.

If I need a second bag for formal clothes in order to have the kind of cruise experience I desire, $25 each way ($50 total) is negligible compared to the $2500 or so I paid (per person) for the cruise itself.

Since I wear an uniform everyday at work, I look forward to dressing up when I sail. This include casual nights!!

I have alot nice dresses that only get out of the closet when I cruise.

I hate the fact that you have to pay for a second piece of luggage. If I was doing a 3 or 4 day cruise, no problem. But I got a 14 day cruise coming up and my garment bag will have all of my dresses. I'm paying that $25 extra each way. That's still cheaper than what they charge you for an overweight bag ($50).

Happy sailing!!

Since I wear an uniform everyday at work, I look forward to dressing up when I sail. This include casual nights!!

I have alot nice dresses that only get out of the closet when I cruise.

I hate the fact that you have to pay for a second piece of luggage. If I was doing a 3 or 4 day cruise, no problem. But I got a 14 day cruise coming up and my garment bag will have all of my dresses. I'm paying that $25 extra each way. That's still cheaper than what they charge you for an overweight bag ($50).

Happy sailing!!

I'm with ya! Except for the dresses, don't own any of them;)

I'm with ya! Except for the dresses, don't own any of them;)

DARN!

And here I was so looking forward to seeing you in a long, sparkly dress! ;)

Oh ... wait ... you're a cop, not a lumberjack.

Silly me. :D

DARN!

And here I was so looking forward to seeing you in a long, sparkly dress! ;)

Oh ... wait ... you're a cop, not a lumberjack.

Silly me. :D

Too much leg hair involved; would not be a day at the beach - But I do know the song - might even be persuaded to sing it after a couple of Wang Wangs

I agree that formal nights are probably on the near term 'hit list'. Smoking on vernadas is next after that IMO We'll wear our formal clothes for as long as at least 35% of the guests are doing so. When it drops below approximately that, we will start leaving the tuxedo /gowns at home.

There....I've gone and combined the two most controversial subjects in one post. :eek:

I agree that formal nights are probably on the near term 'hit list'. Smoking on vernadas is next after that IMO We'll wear our formal clothes for as long as at least 35% of the guests are doing so. When it drops below approximately that, we will start leaving the tuxedo /gowns at home.

There....I've gone and combined the two most controversial subjects in one post. :eek:

I wish you'd leave the "vernadas" out of it!;) I hate it when that happens!

Too much leg hair involved; would not be a day at the beach - But I do know the song - might even be persuaded to sing it after a couple of Wang Wangs

Just a couple of Wang Wangs?

Scotty had seven Wang Wangs the day the Earthquake hit Hawaii and left us cruising off the Big Island with no place to go.

Of course, it left him cross-eyed and unhappy to see any of us during the breakfast hour, but that's the price one pays for partaking in that form the immortal pain-killer.

I had a family named Vernada in my church in Oak Cliff (that was 15 years ago). I'm sure they wouldn't have liked people smoking on them either. :D ;)

As for not wearing formal clothing once it drops below 35% ... hmmmm ... I've been on cruises where that low has already been achieved. It's still not common, but it does happen. I assume you mean "on average."

Me? I might leave the Tux at home, but I'm still bringing the jacket and tie and such. I've learned from RuthC a very important lesson: I don't care what others are doing, I'm going to dress up even if it kills them.

Sorry for the typo..... wouldn't be at all nice to smoke on your vernadas. :)

DH wears his jacket when we go to Pinnacle. Doesn't matter it isn't required, it is what he feels is appropriate. But, when we start to feel foolish trotting around in formal wear and most others are in dockers and button down shirts, we'll get the message.....formal night finally died it's slow death.

I worked in a coat and tie for 30 years......when I retired I stopped wearing ties, to make my wife happy I will wear a coat. I've gone on 23+ cruises and if people were unhappy with how I looked I decided it was there problem, not mine! Now if they want to pay my way I just might wear a tie.............

I worked in a coat and tie for 30 years......when I retired I stopped wearing ties, to make my wife happy I will wear a coat. I've gone on 23+ cruises and if people were unhappy with how I looked I decided it was there problem, not mine! Now if they want to pay my way I just might wear a tie.............

At every wedding I tell the bride: "Always remember that your husband must have the last two words in any conversation." I then, immediately, turn to the groom and say: "Always remember that those last two words are "yes dear."" In sort ... it's a smart man who knows how to keep his wife happy; and, it's an even smarter man who does so without grumbling about it.

Personally, if people are unhappy with me dressing up on Formal Night (and putting on a jacket on many Smart Casual Nights), then that's their problem. They can keep their "snob" and "stuffed shirt" and "who does he think he is?" remarks to themselves. Even if it gets down to just 1% of the ship that is still dressing up, I'm going to part of it.

I used to enjoy dressing up on formal nights, but after doing it for many years on cruises and other social functions, I frankly loved country club casual on both Oceania and Azamara. It's easier and lighter to pack w/o formal clothes especialy when you are traveling in the winter from cold to warm places (and have to also carry heavy clothes as well). Frankly, imho I would like to see the cruise lines go to casual (and not exclude those who did not dress up) and let those who want to wear a jacket , do so.

When it drops below approximately that, we will start leaving the tuxedo /gowns at home.

You could also add 'leaving the blender home' to add a third subject...

Anyone who can't pack for a 2-week cruise in one suitcase just isn't trying; I've done it for five. :rolleyes: And that's to cooler climates where I needed sweatshirts and a wind-breaker.

I will admit that I've recently replaced the heavy beaded tops with more lightweight fabrics, but saying that dressing for formal nights is difficult with the baggage restrictions is a red herring. After all, you still have to wear something at night.

Having my dress a little longer adds ounces to the baggage weight, and takes up very few cubic centimeters of extra room. :)

Men should be begging for more formal nights. Then they would have to take only one tux/suit and a few shirts. That's even fewer clothes than different smart casual every night! :D

I usually just take one tux shirt, and have the cruiseline launder and starch it for me. Have always had good results with this service.

AG

I usually just take one tux shirt, and have the cruiseline launder and starch it for me. Have always had good results with this service.

That's what I did on my most recent Rotterdam - South America/Antarctica Cruise. One Tux shirt, which I sent out to be washed and starched for me in between formal nights. It worked well. Of course, I also had other formal gear (clericals) that I could wear if need arose and a tux shirt wasn't available.

In the end, packing for formal nights is very easy and actually takes less space than packing for the multitude of Smart Casual Nights. Of course, this assumes that one actually packs Smart Casual clothing for Smart Casual Nights. Based upon my experience, I have my doubts about that, too. Many seem to think that what is worn in the day, on hot and sweaty shore excursion, is still ok for wearing that night.

I believe the ladies too can rent formal wear.

... While it's easy for a man to rent a tux on board, I can't imagine any woman who cares how she looks renting the outfits HAL provides.

Exactly - you got it, Golfette! Boytjie, have you LOOKED at those rental outfits for women?:eek: :eek: :eek:

I guess I just don't get it. Before our first HAL cruise in February I listened to everyone on the HAL site give me advice regarding formal night. It was what I expected.....formal night, and you chose to go or not to go. And the other nights.....there were indeed passengers in the dining room in jackets and ties, and those in khakis and collared shirts. I always looked at the passengers who were a bit "more" dressed and said "wow, don't they look fantastic." I don't think I ever saw anyone looking out-of-place though because of their clothing. Maybe behavior, but not clothing.

I will be paying the extra baggage charge to bring clothes on our summer vacation that I find appropriate. It is so much easier for a woman to put a silk dress and jacket in a suitcase than a man to put a tux or suit. Too bad we can't exchange clothing with our travel partners, and no one would ever know we wore the same thing twice:)

I don't think that those of us who are new to HAL are trying to do away with long standing dress codes and traditions, we just want to know that we are dressed appropriately, and like to know what the range of dress is.

Cherie

In the end, packing for formal nights is very easy and actually takes less space than packing for the multitude of Smart Casual Nights. Of course, this assumes that one actually packs Smart Casual clothing for Smart Casual Nights. Based upon my experience, I have my doubts about that, too. Many seem to think that what is worn in the day, on hot and sweaty shore excursion, is still ok for wearing that night.

:(

Nothing will take the place of a shower and fresh clothes in a warm environment. Some may think me underdressed on formal night (the last tux I wore was 58 years ago on stage), but I will be freshly bathed! :D

Exactly - you got it, Golfette! Boytjie, have you LOOKED at those rental outfits for women?:eek: :eek: :eek:

I always knew about renting the tuxedos on board , but not about womens dresses.

A tux is no big deal. Its pretty much standard issue, just give them your measurements and you are good to go.

But I can't see most women (at least not my wife) just blindly showing up and taking what is on teh rack, or calling a ahead and saying save me something in a size whatever.

Everyone seems to forget that if someone doesn't want to do formal, there are already options. I'm new to HAL (first HAL cruise over New Years), but it's my understanding that Lido and room service don't shut down on formal nights. I'm not throwing rocks...I may be one of those dining on my veranda. Not only that, but I may have the hot tub and pool to myself afterwards, because wearing beading in water is a high risk activity:D

-Kathy

Well, they aren't great but I am sure still better than what some others are wearing. ;)

Full disclosure: I have only been on gay charters....

Archived