Where would you have them cut costs?

Ron n Jon

Obviously, the cruise lines are cutting back on amenities, foods, services, etc., due to the weak dollar and high fuel costs. Some of these cuts are not being well received by the paxs. But where should they, or where should they not be cutting back to meet their bottom line and maintain a satisfactory cruise?

For one, I would say dispense with the afternoon tea. This is one "meal" that serves no purpose.

For another, dispense with the midnight "champagne" pyramid, for who could enjoy that vintage at any time of night.

Re-establish the level of haute cuisine we had but two or three years ago.

Bring back bed linens and blankets in lieu of douvets.

Any others? Remember to cut something to balance the preferred amenity

Personally, I would rather see them raise the price then cut any more from the cruising experience. Cruising has already become so different than it was even 5 years ago, I would be willing to pay more instead of having them take anything more away.

Personally, I would rather see them raise the price then cut any more from the cruising experience. Cruising has already become so different than it was even 5 years ago, I would be willing to pay more instead of having them take anything more away.

I couldn't agree more...BUT...they are cutting and they will continue to cut where they think they should. My thinking is, if they must cut, then let it be something we least prefer about a cruise and save or re-establish that which is important to us. Is there nothing in a cruise that you could well do without?

I'm with you on tea and champagne. I have had tea once on a cruise and gone to the waterfall once or twice -- I am SO not hungry at 4 nor thirsty at midnight! I would rather have quality over quantity and could get by on a lot less food than is offered.

But, the bed linens vs. duvets? No. I LOVE the duvets. There is no turning back for me on this one! :)

And I'll probably get stoned for this, but I'm not a big fan of the production shows, so the fact that these are rarely turned over is not a problem for me.

Let have them cut the "marketing" costs first, a lot of money is spent here, there has to be a better way.

I agree with tea, champagne and dovet covers, who needs them.

Focus on the basic we all love good food, entertainment, and desirable itineraries for a fair price. Stop the nickle and diming us. :)

For one, I would say dispense with the afternoon tea. This is one "meal" that serves no purpose.

For you, perhaps. Teatime happens to be my favorite meal. I'd sooner have them dispense with lunch, which I rarely eat aboard. I agree with you on the "champagne" waterfall, but I'm sure other people love that ritual and would howl if it fell to the cost-cutting axe.

No matter which cuts the cruiselines end up making, they'll be fine with some passengers while others will protest vigorously.

Caro

Well then, MaryPoppinz, we also agree on the shows. I haven't seen one in the last five or six cruises. So no stones here.

And cudos on your footnote quoting Alton Ego. In a nut shell !

Maybe I've been cruising for too long, but it's hard to think of areas that haven't already been cut or downgraded:

• Cabin stewards have more rooms to care for than previously
  • Waiters have more tables to wait
  • No longer have a sommelier available
  • Food quality is lower overall
  • Limited room service (for most)

I agree that afternoon tea could be curtailed: perhaps only offer it once per cruise (on a sea day). That's about how often I go!

I'd be willing to pay a premium to have a reserved deck chair (either per day or per cruise price).

If cruises are concerned about raising the overall cost, I still think they could tier the prices so that there is a greater price difference b/n inside and ocean view, ocean view and balcony, etc.

I agree on increasing the price in order not to lose the quality. So how much more of an increase would you consider? I would spend $100-$200 more especially if the dining went back to they way it was 5 years ago.

I would cut back on the afternoon tea and champagne as well. I've never used these items so it doesn't matter to me. Also agree with the production shows. They can cut these and find different entertainment acts - chinese acrobats, one act plays, comedians, jazz artists, blues artists, etc. I would much rather prefer these entertainment venues than a production show.

I love having eating options - buffet, outdoor grill and inside dining. However, are all of these options necessary? I don't want to cut these options but maybe cut one of them each day to cut back on food expense. BUT DON'T LOSE FOOD QUALITY. Since they're only serving 2 eating options then the food should be superb.

I agree 100%......no matter which cruiseline!!

I would rather see the price increased than to cut back on the amenities that make cruising so special.

However, with the glut of large-sized ships out there now, the cruise lines are going to need to fill the staterooms somehow; that means lower fares. So, we are in a catch-22 situation.

I, for one, think that there are too many "special offer" mailings, which just go into the recycle bin. I can't say if these generate sufficient increased revenue to cover the design and printing costs, however. (Sometimes, marketing just needs to be reeled in.)

Maybe I've been cruising for too long, but it's hard to think of areas that haven't already been cut or downgraded:

• Cabin stewards have more rooms to care for than previously
  • Waiters have more tables to wait
  • No longer have a sommelier available
  • Food quality is lower overall
  • Limited room service (for most)

I agree that afternoon tea could be curtailed: perhaps only offer it once per cruise (on a sea day). That's about how often I go!

I'd be willing to pay a premium to have a reserved deck chair (either per day or per cruise price).

If cruises are concerned about raising the overall cost, I still think they could tier the prices so that there is a greater price difference b/n inside and ocean view, ocean view and balcony, etc.

OK, I agree with this to a point.

As to cost cutting, the major cost cutting measures are usually in food and staffing, since they are such a big expense (over and above fuel costs of coarse). If they cut food much more, it will make it so it isn't much different than everything you might have at home. That alone would stop me from sailing.

Cutting afternoon tea would be one of the smallest expenses a cruise line could cut, so that isn't even worth thinking about IMHO. It is more of a service than an added expense.

Staffing has been cut to a minimum compared to what it used to be with overworked staff in all departments. Just look at your room steward or your waiter's face closely and you can see it there.

I also agree with tiering the prices from category to category so they are not as close (thus as I said in the beginning, raising the cost of the cruise for some). If they raise the price for the higher end staterooms onboard, they could increase the amenities to these (mini suites in particular) as with Princess offering so many mini suites on each ship now, they could raise the price and the amenities involved (perks that would not include much of an added cost to the cruise line, such as in stateroom meal service). There is no doubt in my mind that some would pay more for a mini suite if there were more perks involved.

Remember though, with as many cruise lines as we have sailing today, there really is a lot of competition out there. If one line cuts too much, and the others don't follow, they will be cutting their own throat.

I assumed that was two of their biggest profit margins judging by the amount of ads put into ones mailbox while onboard.;)

Mike:)

And there's another cost cutting area...reduce the amount of paper ads distributed! :p

I agree 100%......no matter which cruiseline!!

I would rather see the price increased than to cut back on the amenities that make cruising so special.

However, with the glut of large-sized ships out there now, the cruise lines are going to need to fill the staterooms somehow; that means lower fares. So, we are in a catch-22 situation.

I, for one, think that there are too many "special offer" mailings, which just go into the recycle bin. I can't say if these generate sufficient increased revenue to cover the design and printing costs, however. (Sometimes, marketing just needs to be reeled in.)

I would pay more within reason. Not sure I agree with the 'special offer" mailings as retirees can take advantage of special sailings prices, etc.

The Afternoon Tea - good idea, have it on Sea Days only. I went once and never went back. There was hardly anyone there and you can get tea anytime on the ship.

Production shows - not a bad idea to put them on ice for a while.

Get rid of that Midnight Champagne thing. Terrible to call that champagne.

Increase the price of the Specialty restaurants. Where can you get a meal like that for under $30 and service is good. People will still go.

I think there are a lot of "little" things that can be elimated which could add up. Yes some cruisers won't like it, but if it enhances the overall experience, that would be a good thing.

I love my duvet cover too, but would give it up to cost cutting. I cruised many times without it and slept just as well.

I am sure if one Cruise Line starts making changes, the others will follow - look what is happening at the airlines now:rolleyes:

The problem is, they have already taken things away. I still enjoy the experience tho.

They could reduce the amount of paper distributed and get rid of the champagne waterfall (nasty cheap art auction champagne anyway) but leave the cream teas alone:eek: Also keep the art auction cheese and wine parties - lovely wine and delicious cheese served there:D

Me too. IF they would bring back some amenities, I would be willing to pay about $60-$75 a day more per person for the exact same inside cabin.

-Better room service menus

-Better lobster and beef in the dining rooms

-Better food all around in the buffet, including an extensive cheese selection at lunch and dinner on every ship every day.

-Better educational programs and lectures

-Better and more fitness classes for free

PLEASE don't cut prices anymore, Princess! Please don't reduce the cruising experience anymore than it already has been!! Some of us really want a mass market product that is still classy and reasonably affordable - we don't expect Motel 6 prices (or less) nor want Hometown Buffet food and service!!!

Get rid of all the paper stuffed in the mailbox for adds, this always goes right in my round file. ;)

You know, on our last Princess cruises (Golden B2B in January) we didn't have any of that junk mail. I guess I assumed Princess had done away with it. Maybe not?

We have a serious need here to send some of our CC Members to "Cruise Finance School".

Cuting costs:

How much do you think a Cruise ship spends on tea time? Maybe $200. Do you really think that would make a difference in the weekly operating budget of a large cruise ship?

The Champagne waterfall is made with the house bubbly. The entire cost is probably less than tea time. On a ship with a weekly operating budget of several million dollars, do you honestly think this makes a difference?

Somebody wants to get rid of Art Auction. This is the single highest revenue stream on most mass market ships. A single employee in this department often generates over $1 million in revenue per cruise. This revenue allows the cruise line to keep fares and other prices as low as they are WITHOUT cutting back elsewhere. What is the reasoning that cutting out Art Auctions would be a financial benefit to anyone?

Somebody else wants to stop teeth whitening. A concessionaire purchases the equipment, costing the cruise line $zero. The very high revenues from teeth whitening keeps your cruise fare and spa treatments lower. Taking away the teeth whitening revenues would force cruise lines to increase fares and prices or cut back on other costs. What reasoning process came up with this brilliant idea to stop teeth whitening?

Although cruise lines desperately want to reduce the flyers and paper advertising that clog your cabin mailboxes, there is a problem. Although the flyers are costly and annoying, whenever they are stopped, sales plummet. Revenues drop dramatically. Flyers and paper ads really work. Despite their cost, they generate far more revenue than cost. If the flyers are eliminated, revenue drops. That means higher cruise fares - or more cutbacks to save money.

Somebody else wants to cut back on marketing costs. These costs - especially for television time - are enormous. So let's look at the market. Which cruise lines are most profitable? That's easy. Carnival Cruise Line is #1 and RCCL is #2.

Which cruise lines have the highest marketing budgets? That's easy. Carnival Cruise Line is #1 and RCCL is #2.

Do you think this is just coincidence? Hardly.

Mickey Arison and Richard Fain are not netting Billions of Dollars from the financial advice they read on Cruisecritic, nor did they just get lucky with television and direct-mail advertising. These guys are the smartest ones in the room.

Somebody else here wants to increase fares a few hundred dollars to restore the quality of "the good old days". I love this idea and agree with it. But guess what, it's already been done. It's called Silver Sea, Crystal, Oceania, Sea Dream, and Seabourn. And guess what else? Their ships are all sailing half empty. Even worse, ALL the companies listed above have NEVER earned a single dollar of profit EVER. Even though a seemingly large percentage of the cruising population CLAIMS they are willing to pay for better quality, when it comes time to write the check or sign the credit card receipt, the hands get shaky and falter.

In a free market economy, there is an excellent reason why big mass market ships and cruise lines - offering a Wal-mart product - are so popular and so successful. They offer what most people (the masses) really want. If they didn't offer what most people really want, they would be bankrupt. It's that simple.

You can dream about driving a Bugatti, but you are still settling for a Buick.

By the way, I can give you all sorts of advice on how to re-arrange your personal finances in order to afford that Bugatti, but I am confident that you wil drive that Buick for the rest of your life.

They could cut back on some of the fancy food displays and it wouldn't bother me. On my last cruise, there was one day that there was a dessert extravaganza that was gigantic and there was so much leftover at the end of the time period, it seemed to be a waste to me.

How many carved watermelons do we really need to see?

Archived