Wrote to Princess

jjones

I just returned from my 7th cruise in 3 years, 4 with Princess and 3 with HAL. I wrote a letter to Princess on my return and want to share two paragraphs of it with other cruise addicts.

"While on my last cruise it finally occurred to me that Princess and Holland America (and perhaps all cruise lines) do more to enhance the standard of living in third world countries than any government has done.

"The employees I encounter on my cruises are bi- and often multi-lingual, educated, traveled and sophisticated beyond anything possible in their own countries. They meet a large number of passengers (most of whom, I hope, are pleasant) and are able to form a positive opinion of people foreign to them. Most ship personnel are gracious, pleasant and ambitious. They are working for a better life for themselves and their families and have a clear understanding of a goal and how to reach it. Perhaps through the learning experiences gained as cruise personnel, we may achieve a more peaceful world of tolerance and understanding."

I hope some on the CC boards will endorse and echo these thoughts.

Very well said, jjones!!! I have to say that by far the vast majority of crew members I have encountered on various cruises have fit that description to a T.

It will be interesting to see if you get a response from the cruise line! :)

JJones, How wonderful of you to take the time to write such a kind letter. Too, many times we hear about the negatives(which I'm sure are justified). The crew on the ships we have been on are almost all from 3rd world countries, they are the most wonderful people and work so very hard and never complain. They have so very little, in their lives. My husband and I joke, that our kids and alot of the kids of today would never make it working on the ships(too spoiled). I sure hope Princess will forward and also make note of how appreciated their staff is on their ships.

I agree with your sentiments. I have always be impressed with the crew on our cruises and I love the fact that Princess was/is tendering in hurricane supplies into Caribbean ports. I would be interested to see the thin file your letter is filed in after they post it on the employee bulletin board. We usually only get to hear about the complaint letters.

Thanks

Steve

Thank you for sending that letter to Princess.

I am not a great letter writer myself....but your words would also be my words.

When on board I try to help these hard workers by giving them a kind smile and words plus sending in commendations for those that have cared for me on my cruise.

A great letter Thank you again-----Kruisey.

Thank you all for what you have said. It warms my heart to hear genuine sensitivity from many others who enjoy cruising. It is important to remember and consider the many hard-working and caring employees who are doing their best to make a good life for themselves and their families--while doing everything they can to meet our vacation needs. That's gotta be hard. We squabble about the square footage of our balconies--most of which could sleep entire families in other cultures.

So gratified by the caring expressed. Keep it coming.

I just returned from my 7th cruise in 3 years, 4 with Princess and 3 with HAL. I wrote a letter to Princess on my return and want to share two paragraphs of it with other cruise addicts.

"While on my last cruise it finally occurred to me that Princess and Holland America (and perhaps all cruise lines) do more to enhance the standard of living in third world countries than any government has done.

"The employees I encounter on my cruises are bi- and often multi-lingual, educated, traveled and sophisticated beyond anything possible in their own countries. They meet a large number of passengers (most of whom, I hope, are pleasant) and are able to form a positive opinion of people foreign to them. Most ship personnel are gracious, pleasant and ambitious. They are working for a better life for themselves and their families and have a clear understanding of a goal and how to reach it. Perhaps through the learning experiences gained as cruise personnel, we may achieve a more peaceful world of tolerance and understanding."

I hope some on the CC boards will endorse and echo these thoughts.

What if everyone not only endorsed but echoed your thoughts in the words and actions that make up our daily lives?

How nice would that be?

Thanks for sharing this

It is important to remember and consider the many hard-working and caring employees who are doing their best to make a good life for themselves and their families--while doing everything they can to meet our vacation needs. That's gotta be hard. We squabble about the square footage of our balconies--most of which could sleep entire families in other cultures.

Well said, goforfun. We are a spoiled, and sometimes arrogant people, and we need to learn to appreciate a lot more, all those who work so hard to make our cruise a happy one... Bombero

There's not much I can add to what has already been said. jjones attitude is something we should all try to attain when cruising. Most North Americans wouldn't work the kind of hours these people work and manage to keep a smile on their face, no matter what kind of money we were paid. Witness the problems NCL is having in Hawaii. On our last cruise, we got to know our waiter and his assistant quite well. We asked them about their lives, their families, and learned much. In fact, the waiter made a point of bringing his son down from Sabatini's, where he worked, to meet us on the final night. Pictures were taken and I sent copies to his home in Portugal. We have very happy memories of them all, and they helped make our cruise a memorable one. He invited us to visit his home if we ever get to Portugal. If we do, we will.

As a person who works in another service industry (I'm a nurse), I can't tell you how wonderful it is to get a complimentary letter such as yours. People who work so hard LOVE to ear they are doing their job well and that what they are doing enhances their customer's lives. Most people only write a letter when they are angry or upset.

Thanks for putting pen to paper when it matters most!!! You probably made someone in customer service smile all day long and go home that night and say "I had the best thing happen at work today..."

Archived