For those looking for Kona on Hawaiian Cruise

Cruise Junky

I don't usually push another cruise line, but this is on Celebrity. Definitely one of the coolest Hawaiian itineraries I've seen. April 2010 on Millennium. 15 Days - good prices too.

Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii

Hilo, Hawaii

Mount Kilauea - Evening Sail

Kailua Kona, Hawaii

Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii

Kauai (Nawiliwili), Hawaii

Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii

Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii

At Sea

At Sea

At Sea

At Sea

San Francisco, California

At Sea

Seattle, Washington

Victoria, British Columbia

Vancouver, British Columbia

Princess should have kept Kona over Hilo. But, I'll bet Kona is more expensive to dock at and that probably drove the decision when deciding between the two.

Hunter

They tender in Kona and I have heard that the reason was that sometimes the winds were so hectic there that it was really tough for tenders to land at the pier. I have heard that more than once, not sure if that is the only reason or there are other reasons.

Marilyn

You're right about the price being right for the Mille. Unfortunately, it is not the usual San Diego roundtrip. In fact, I can't believe they keep the using the Mercury for that San Diego roundtrip itinerary - and at a very expensive price for balconies. They are not THAT much better than other 2 week sailings to Hawaii on other cruise lines. We sailed The Summit to Hawaii last October, and this year the concierge rate has gone up way over $1,000 per person for future sailings. Celebrity is good - but not that good!!!!

Unfortunately, it is not the usual San Diego roundtrip.

That's the part I really liked about it...still 15 days but not spending 10 of them at sea. I can't ever see doing a 14 or 15 day cruise roundtrip to Hawaii...waste of vacation time for us, but of course, that's just my HO.

I agree they tender at Kona and I confess that Kona and Lahaina are our two favourite ports in the islands. I have no idea what percipitated the decision of dropping Kona over Hilo because in Hilo they have docking and tug costs, however I would hope that Princess will reinstate the Kona stop in the future. I also think there is a lot of people who hope that Princess will go back to the 15 day cruise out of LA, I doubt very much that we would do it again if remains a 14 day cruise, in our opinion it is just too far to travel for 4 days in the islands.

I feel like I was cheating on my beloved Princess, but I went to the Celebrity website and peeked at the prices, I couldn't believe my eyes! We could get a full Suite on Celebrity for the price of a Mini on princess!!! Plus an extra day and Kona which I've always wanted to visit. We were planning on taking the Hawaii or Panama cruise in the near future, probably after this next cruise. I feel bad for looking, but you can't beat those prices! I never realized what a good deal you could get on Celebrity. Wow, I'm shocked. That even beats a past passenger discount, crazy!:confused:

I feel like I was cheating on my beloved Princess, but I went to the Celebrity website and peeked at the prices, I couldn't believe my eyes! We could get a full Suite on Celebrity for the price of a Mini on princess!!! Plus an extra day and Kona which I've always wanted to visit. We were planning on taking the Hawaii or Panama cruise in the near future, probably after this next cruise. I feel bad for looking, but you can't beat those prices! I never realized what a good deal you could get on Celebrity. Wow, I'm shocked. That even beats a past passenger discount, crazy!:confused:

Good for you, I hate to turn people away from Princess but that one is really, really good!

I felt the same way when I booked my upcoming Celebrity cruise (1st time) to Hawaii this November -- 15 days versus 14 and $500 less! I love my perks on Princess but the price was too good to pass up this time! The April 2010 is also very tempting!:o

Debr

• 3 weeks later...
Holland America, which is owned by the same company(Carnival) as Princess, continues to stop at Kona. I was told by a Princess representative that a 14-day cruise is a better fit with the preferences of the Princess target market.:)

Well, I guess we're not in the target market, because we really enjoyed the 15 day cruises with the stop in Kona. DH is questioning whether we'll take another Hawaiian cruise that doesn't include Kona, so we may have to go to another cruise line. Nancy

I just came back from the NCL cruise in May. I had no idea that everyone loved Kona. It was my FAVORITE stop. It was tough for me to understand why people were raving about other ports. Everyone kept raving about Maui and Kauia. Kona was a nice, unexpected surprise. :)

It was tough for me to understand why people were raving about other ports. Everyone kept raving about Maui and Kauia. Kona was a nice, unexpected surprise. :)

What did you do on Maui and Kauai to not be impressed? Been to Maui many times and love it and my one trip to Kauai...WOW!!!

Just difficult giving up the elite perks that I so enjoy on Princess.:p

That's so true. We have this discussion all the time. Usually we cruise Princess because we like the itinerary, but we do still occasionally cruise Celebrity. For us, I figured we can live without the mini bar (rum and wine are our choices, and we can get neither), and get maybe $25 total value out of it (the beer and water bottles). Internet is worth (depending on cruise length) $150 per couple, but Celebrity allows you to compose letters offline and then email them, which, comparing their internet costs to Princess's assuming no Elite benefits is actually a better deal. And laundry is $10 a day max (and I'm being generous with that one; in reality we can get by for about $5 a day for both of us). So, over a 7 night cruise, we're looking at $245 in lost Princess Elite benefits total.

Then, since we're Elite on Celebrity (which isn't good for much), we do get significant cruise price discounting. It's really a wash for us. So we continue to cruise them both, and once we're on a Celebrity ship we don't look back when we rack up internet and laundry charges.

A good cruise deal is a good cruise deal, with or without repeater benefits.

I'm curious why folks like Kailua-Kona so much. I've taken many a vacation to the Big Island over the past 20+ years. Kailua-Kona used to be a fun place to me, walking along the seawall, eating at some good hole-in-the-wall places, snorkeling at Kahaluu Park. But, it's changed. Too many stores to cater to tourists, the hole-in-the-walls are gone, more panhandlers and timeshare pushers. The last time I was there, 2 years ago (I landed the day they had the big earthquake!!), I didn't even go into Kailua-Kona - I stayed up the coast and visited Waimea and Hawi.

HI, I've never done a cruise to Hawaii, but I've stayed on the Big Island and absolutely loved Kona! We liked it so much that when we were looking for a possible post-Christmas Hawaii cruise, we decided to forget the cruise and do a land vacation. Just one day (or part of a day) isn't enough of the place for us. Although the Volcano is a big lure, we weren't terribly impressed with Hilo and just couldn't be satisfied with only that stop at the Big Island.

Why don't the cruise lines offer cruise tours in Hawaii? There are so many things places to see and things to do on the various islands.

What about Kona did you like? Also, are you talking about the town itself, or the area? I mean, I can go down to Kealakekua and kayak or snorkel, go up to Kona Coast State Park and hang on the beach, or go through the petroglyphs at Mauna Lani. I did a tour once up to the top of Mauna Kea to the observatories. But, the town itself, it just doesn't feel like it used to. Too much hawking to the tourists. What specifically in town did you like?

On the Hilo side, I agree about the town itself. If you're there early enough, you can visit the fish market. The farmer's market held there is supposed to be good. You can drive up to Akaka Falls, or drive the road to Honokaa and take a guided tour down into Waipo Valley.

What about Kona did you like? But, the town itself, it just doesn't feel like it used to. .

May I answer this! :) ... how about the beautiful Palace, lunch at Bubba Gumps on the water while watching our ship anchored in the distance, the farmer's market, swimming with the turtles at Kahalu'u Beach ... wow what a day! If it used to better than it is now - that is really, really amazing :) I would hate to miss Kona if ever we have opportunity to cruise Hawaii again. Jayna K

May I answer this! :) ... how about the beautiful Palace, lunch at Bubba Gumps on the water while watching our ship anchored in the distance, the farmer's market, swimming with the turtles at Kahalu'u Beach ... wow what a day! If it used to better than it is now - that is really, really amazing :) I would hate to miss Kona if ever we have opportunity to cruise Hawaii again. Jayna K

I agree about Kahalu'u - it was the first place I snorkeled on the Big Island, and I usually go there the first day I get there. The Palace was nice to visit, but not every time. And, it was heavily damaged in the earthquake and was closed. I hope it was renovated and re-opened to visitors. Now Bubba Gump's - that is one of the things that I don't like. Why go someplace you haven't been and go to a chain restaurant? I would rather go to the Kona Inn and watch the ocean action. Too much of the town is being taken over by the chain stuff. To me, it's becoming just more commercial and less "local." Actually, the farmer's markets in Hilo and Waimea are better than the one in Kona.

I can see a one day in Kona if you were on a cruise and you hadn't been there before. But, then it's time to get out of Kona and head up or down the coast. I can go back to the Big Island many more times (I've been there maybe 10 times in the past 25 years) - it's my favorite Hawaiian island.

We were in Kona April of this year. Did not see the sky (blue) once. The steam vents (now there are 2) filled the air with Vog. Irritating to eyes and throat. The winds blow right to Kona. Anyone with respitory problems might have some trouble. The Park was closed. Somehoow Hilo was not affected as much. We were told that only the coffee and macadamia nuts were not affected. All the flower growers are losing thier plants. a shame. One lady on our trip asked why they couldnt just close the hole up. DUH We have booked the same trip next year. Celebrity sounds interesting. But do you have to fly to Honolulu. If so, not for me. I'll take my 8 days at sea. That is what I love but itinerary sounds fabulous.

Archived