Re: Opium Pipe Display on EURODAM

I realize the design of the EURODAM is a bit more "European" and non-traditional than previous HAL ships, and from what I see on the Eurodam blog, I like it, but what's with the Opium Pipe Display in the Silk Room?

holland-america-opium-pipes.jpg

On my blog today I put the question, "What's next, bongs on Holland America?" Is this "glorifying" a drug culture of the past . . . and if that's the case, is this next?

bongs.jpg?w=353&h=203

Interesting . . . artistic (I guess) and colorful.

BTW, . . . I've always wondered about the leaves on the clock in the atrium of the AMSTERDAM . . .

Regards, Richard

Interesting.

Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!

Krazy guys, I'm sure that's just an interesting juxtaposition of your comment and your signature line . . . and that the signature line isn't referring to opium pipes and bongs on HAL! Sorry . . . couldn't resist.:cool:

Regards, Richard

Do not think they are glorifying drugs.

The SILK room is quite appropriate as china was the start of the opium trade.

It is a reality of life. Check any open air market in the caribean and you find a good selection of crack and opium pipes in the open for sale to the weak minded among us....

Ruth & Jim

I’m not sure how to respond, I MUST be high.:eek:;):D

Eh, it’s no different in principal than, let’s say an alcohol display. Drugs are drugs, some more legal/tolerated than others. People take drugs because they work. Problem is, they can also ruin everything.

The history of Asian opiate use is vast and enriching in it’s lessons and cultural pertinence today. Who knows, those pipes might get some use, world opium production is at record levels. They should have a little hammer next to each one and a sign “In emergency, break glass and smoke”:eek:;):D

Mark…

Ahoy!

I hope HAL has plans to have a dedicated security camera pointed towards the "pipe display" 24/7. Some of those folks booking future 'jazz charters' could be an "unruly" bunch.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

The SILK room is quite appropriate as china was the start of the opium trade.

Actually, it was the insatiable British demand for Tea was the cause of the Opium trade.

Long story short, in the 1830's the British began growing opium in Colonized India specifically for export to China to pay for the Tea imports to Britain, as there was an enormous trade deficit with China caused by the ever-growing demand for Chinese Tea from the previous 150 years.

However, it was the Dutch East India Company that introduced Tea to the British in the 1660's.

There is a very good book called "Tea: Addiction, Exploitation, and Empire"

by Roy Moxham that tells the story - I think you might find it fascinating.

I see the display as a bit of cultural history. I think it's neat. I don't think it's glorifying opium use at all.

I agree. These are probably museum pieces.

It's right up there with snuff bottle collections.

I see the display as a bit of cultural history. I think it's neat. I don't think it's glorifying opium use at all.

Jim-

I have to agree with you.:D I see those pipes more as historic "art", not as glorifying the drug culture....:cool:

Are they opium pipes, or just pipes?
That crossed my mind too. The top and bottom in the center look like those that I think I've seen in pictures from opium dens, but the rest just look like tobacco pipes to me.

When you have a country where drugs are not viewed with quite the disdain as in the USA, there would be a slightly different take on displaying accouterments. I prefer those to some of the fake pictures that adorn the hallways of the new and improved Zuiderdam for instance.

harry

Archived