Cruise Line Policy for Infants

sjkabak

My wife and I LOVE to cruise. We are expecting our first child in August and are trying to find a cruise to go on in December over the holidays. We have a bunch of friends that are willing to go but all of them either have older children or do not have any. I know that some of the lines have a policy that the child must be at least 6 months old, but ours wont be. They have told me that they don't care what line we take as long as we can all go together.

Does anyone know if any of the cruise lines will allow an infant under 6 months to travel? He will be between 4 & 5 months old depending on when he is born.

Thanks for your help!

Steven

Steven,

even if you find a cruise line that would let you take an infant less than 6 months old, please think carefully before you do so.

As a parent-to-be, you have not yet experienced the terror (and I am not exaggerating) when suddenly your precious little one spikes a high fever for the first (or fifth!) time. Or is vomiting. Or has diarhhea. Or both. Or all three.

Infants' immune systems are nowhere near as developed as adults'. And your ship's infirmary may not be able to handle your sick infant. They're not big-hospital emergency rooms. And if you're out at sea, getting the help your sick infant needs may be impossible.

Nothing may happen. But something might. Is it worth the risk?

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=49163958.blog

A lot of cruise lines have recently changed their policies regarding this issue, and the only line I can think of that will allow a child this young is Disney. There is a reason they have done so. Agree with everything Roofing princess had to say about this! You would be traveling with a very young infant during cold and flu season.

You will find that as a parent, sometimes you just can't do what you want to do. As a parent of several children myself, there is no way I would have done this.

And as a first time parent, you really have no concept of what parenthood will be like FOR YOU. the experiences of others could be quite different. There is no predicting the temperament of your infant...Some travel well and adapt to changes in routine, others don't. Until you have had time to get used to your infant, I wouldn't plan any trips, much less a cruise. EM

I totally agree with 6Rugrats and roofingprincess; don't chance not having adequate care on a cruise ship if it is needed. Maybe Disney has better pediatric care available than the other lines. Is there a grandparents who could let you and dad have a nice postbaby vacation? All three of you will probably enjoy it more.

I believe Disney is the only line that still allows infants under six months. There was a thread about this recently on the Family Board that you can find here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=733021

I would be very hesitant traveling with a baby that young at the peak of cold and flu season on a crowded cruise ship.

While it is your choice, you might not be aware of issues that others here haven't pointed out. If your child is colicky, do you really want to subject your neighbors to a screaming infant at all hours. I'm not saying if your child will be this way, but there's no way of knowing. You must also provide everything for your child as a cruise ship doesn't have anything in terms of diapers, wipes and food. Another thing to consider is the health of your child. Cruise ships do not have any facilities for infants, and the reason why the cruise lines have raised their age minimums is because of two incidents on cruise ships involving infants---I was on the ship during one of those incidents when a 5 month old got really sick and stopped breathing. Since neither of the doctors on board were pediatricians, they had to pull the ship back to port in Aruba and bring one on board to minister to the infant. I guess there are always sacrifices we make when we decide to become parents and one of those sacrifices tends to be the ability to come and go at will. Wait until the baby is older to minimize the risk of problems.

You know every time I see these type of answers I frankly want to scream. Being on a ship is no more dangerous for an infant than someone who is eighty. In fact the doctor probably had a rotation through peds when he was an intern and not one through geriatrics. yes kids can get sick and need specialized meds that ARE probably on board, and sometimes they need to be evacuated but the most recent one was over 6 months anyway and so the policy wouldn't apply. There is limited liability for the cruise line and a child just as they have limited liability for an adult. For every infant evacuated there have been 100 people over 60...so they should of course ban those over 60. Would I take a 3 month old probably not but that is because without someone else most cruise lines won't watch the kid but that is because of my preference having nothing to do with the treatment the child will get.

NCL doesn't charge anything except taxes for a child under 2.

From the Disney website:

Disney Cruise Line Pregnant Women: Permitted to board if pregnant for 23 weeks or less on day of embarkation. A Medical Information Form must be filled out by physician and faxed to Inventory Control (407-566-7739) for women in any stage of pregnancy.

Infants: Minimum age is 12 weeks.

That being said....you do realize that if your baby becomes ill, you risk being removed from the ship at the next port by the doctor-on-board and sent to the hospital onshore. You will not be reimbursed for any of the cruise you missed AND you will be responsible for getting home - and for all medical bills.

The medical facilities on the ship are minimum at best. They have NO means or facilities to care for a sick baby...and with babies that young, illness is a serious matter.

Do your infant a favor......either delay your cruise until he is older or let grand parents watch him......

Here is a guide to all the major cruises and their age limitations:

http://www.*****.com/preg-infant.cfm

You know every time I see these type of answers I frankly want to scream. Being on a ship is no more dangerous for an infant than someone who is eighty. In fact the doctor probably had a rotation through peds when he was an intern and not one through geriatrics. yes kids can get sick and need specialized meds that ARE probably on board, and sometimes they need to be evacuated but the most recent one was over 6 months anyway and so the policy wouldn't apply. There is limited liability for the cruise line and a child just as they have limited liability for an adult. For every infant evacuated there have been 100 people over 60...so they should of course ban those over 60. Would I take a 3 month old probably not but that is because without someone else most cruise lines won't watch the kid but that is because of my preference having nothing to do with the treatment the child will get.

With all due respect as someone who has as background in pediatric medical care with the group I have worked with for more than 10 years, I can assure you that most reputable pediatricians would discourage this type of vacation for a baby under six months. An infant is still developing his or her immunity and is also still in the process of receiving immunizations that provide protection from a variety of serious illnesses. Flus, gastrointestinal viruses, RSV and bacterial infections can cause serious health consequences for an infant that require immediate and sometimes intensive medical intervention from pediatric experts. I have absolutely no issue with children on cruises, in fact, I think cruises are an ideal family vacation. However, there is a reason most cruiselines have increased their age requirements to 6 months or even a year with some lines. It is for the health and safety of the child.

And I would suggest that the reason there are so many older passengers evacuated as compared to infants is that the ratio of senior travelers is statistically significantly higher than infants on board cruise ships. That doesn't necessarily equate to the conclusion that is as safe for an infant under six months to travel on a cruise as it is for an otherwise healthy and active senior.

With all due respect as someone who has as background in pediatric medical care with the group I have worked with for more than 10 years, I can assure you that most reputable pediatricians would discourage this type of vacation for a baby under six months. An infant is still developing his or her immunity and is also still in the process of receiving immunizations that provide protection from a variety of serious illnesses. Flus, gastrointestinal viruses, RSV and bacterial infections can cause serious health consequences for an infant that require immediate and sometimes intensive medical intervention from pediatric experts. I have absolutely no issue with children on cruises, in fact, I think cruises are an ideal family vacation. However, there is a reason most cruiselines have increased their age requirements to 6 months or even a year with some lines. It is for the health and safety of the child.

This decision should be made by the parent and their pediatrician- not by you or the cruise line. The same exact argument can be made for anyone over 75.

This decision should be made by the parent and their pediatrician- not by you or the cruise line. The same exact argument can be made for anyone over 75.

Well you are quite right that the decision is not up to me, but I believe the cruiselines as businesses have every right to establish the minimum age guidelines they deem appropriate. Since the majority have established minimum age requirements of six months or more, this argument is pretty well a mute point.

I would have to disagree with your statement.

An 80 year old can tell you what is wrong with them. And if an 80 year old is in otherwise good health....Noro won't kill them. An infant in good health can dehydrate in a matter of days to the point of death. Things like telescoping intestinal episodes that infants can have are not an issue with 80 year olds. This kinds of incidents are life threatening and need immediate care. Not two days when you reach port....that is IF the port has even has the facilities needed.

There is a reason cruise lines don't allow infants under the age of 6 months and do allow 80 year olds...think about it.

Sure I will be in trouble for saying this BUT.. you will LOVE your baby and its crying will just be a part of your baby- BUT there are many of us who go on a cruise to escape crying babies and children. Nothing worse to be sleeping in a cabin next to cryiing or screaming children all night or sitting by a pool with crying, screaming children when you are trying to relax from your own stressful life! Disneyland- it is for children-cruises are not. Sorry- just my humble opinion as a mother and grandmother! :o

Sure I will be in trouble for saying this BUT.. you will LOVE your baby and its crying will just be a part of your baby- BUT there are many of us who go on a cruise to escape crying babies and children. Nothing worse to be sleeping in a cabin next to cryiing or screaming children all night or sitting by a pool with crying, screaming children when you are trying to relax from your own stressful life! Disneyland- it is for children-cruises are not. Sorry- just my humble opinion as a mother and grandmother! :o

The question here is in regard to cruising with a very young infant so I'm not sure why you decided to take it this direction but I would very much disagree with your assertion that cruises are not for children.

And it is apparent that the cruiselines don't agree either as they actively market to families these days and provide amenities and programs specifically for children. They want families and children and pursue them aggressively, so as far as the cruise industry is concerned cruises are indeed for children and families. In fact cruises are one of the fastest growing segments of the family vacation market.

Cruise lines are private entities and have every right to say who can and who cannot cruise---it makes no difference what any doctor says or what any parent wants. They do this with many "groups" including saying that those under 21 cannot cruise without a parent or guardian. It's their rules and that's just too darn bad if people agree or not.

You also say the decision should be made by the parent, and you're right on that. BUT if that is their decision, why is it that so many parents come on here looking for validation for their decision? You see that all the time on these boards. "Should I take my infant on a cruise. What can I expect for my infant on a cruise. Will the kids club allow my infant in the program".

In the end, every aspect of life has rules and you abide by them, whether you agree or not. Cruise lines have their reason for upping the minimum age for cruises. When a parent comes on here asking for opinions, that's what they get. You obviously are pro taking infants on cruises, and that's ok for you. But when someone who is not even a parent yet, asks questions about taking an infant on a cruise, everyone has a right to tell them the way of the world, whether you agree with their assertions or not. Not having a child yet, the OP probably didn't realize some of the very important issues that face them once that child is born. Everyone has the right to point these things out, including the positives, so this parent has all the pertinent facts before making their final decision.

The medical facilities on the ship are minimum at best.

Not only are they minimum at best, but the medical staff onboard most ships and the hours that the medical centers are open do not appear to have been expanded over the years, even though the number of passengers has increased significantly.

I don't understand why this is permitted. Oh, I do under$tand the financial aspect of it, but it isn't what serves the passengers best.

Gillianrose, I think the reason it seems like the doctors on board ships don't work much is because the hours they see passengers is usually a few hours a day. But, one thing to remember, they must also see the few thousand crew members who need medical attention. I sat at the doctor's table on a few cruises, and they do put in a lot of hours, mostly with crew issues. And, they are on call for many hours. I know because I recently had an asthma attack on a ship, very late, and the doctor was called to the medical center and assisted with my treatment.

BUT, these doctors are not equipped to handle emergencies for pregnancy problems or with infant problems. The ship's medical centers are not equipped for those things. They can handle heart attacks or diabetic issues, but only if those things are mild.

I have to say this: kids can be pretty tough. When I was a month old, my mom's entire family was killed in a flood, we had to fly there, ride in the back of a pickup 60 miles, and then lived for a month in a place that had to be riddled with all sorts of disease due to the stagnant water. However, my parents had no choice but to subject me to that. I would not risk a baby's health by taking them on a vacation. Can you even vaccinate a baby against the flu at that age? I would wait until the baby was older and you could actually enjoy the vacation!

The first time we took our daughter on vacation she was 6 weeks old. We were at a friends house and thought we were fine because if we needed a doctor we only had to go back across the causeway to get to one. Well on a Sunday afternoon she started a raging fever, their was a major accident on the causeway and they expected it to be closed for 6-8 hours. I called the Dr. he said to give her baby aspirin and the next 2 hours baby motrin, the next 2 hours baby aspirin. The beach house did not have a bathtub so the doctor said take her in the pool. We did just what he and her fever went down to normal slowly and was gone in a few hours. When a doctor could see her the next day he looked down her throat and she had strep throat and he put her on antibiotic. We never panicked! We took her on vacation again at 4 months. And had no problems. The idea is to enjoy your children and enjoy being with them and they will enjoy being with you. We started camping with her when she was 9 months old.

We did not cruise then, if we had a baby now we would cruise with her as soon as we could.

Our daughter started camping with her son at 6 weeks, never had a problem. They need to be fed, warm and loved! No more germs on a cruise ship than in a grocery store, just watch what they put in their mouths and who touches them.

ENJOY! and Congratulations!

Well, ignore all experience and reason. It's your right to do so.

As for the "decision" making. The OP asked.....several have answered. If the OP didn't want ideas and thoughts from other people, she wouldn't have posted, now would she.

Your opinion is not the only one that counts or that may be considered.

Archived