"LIVE" from the Majesty / 06-21-2008

Radio

Thanks Radio for the great reporting. I followed your HAL cruise in March so when I heard you were doing another I had to pop over and read it.

Thanks for the great photos. I was in Bermuda 3 years ago for a 4 day mini break and loved it. You are bringing back great memories with your photos....Also, We sailed on Norwegian Dream last August so it was great to see the ship again as well..

Enjoy the rest of your holiday and thank you!

Wendy:)

Thanks for taking us along again, Radio! I enjoyed your thread on the Westerdam...and now this trip to Bermuda!

We want to return to Bermuda in October (our 40th anniversary was in May!)...and can't decide whether we'll cruise or fly. My first cruise was during College Week in the 60's to Bermuda, and we were there 40 years ago on our honeymoon...and for our 10th and 25th!

Love it! And love your Live Report, Radio!

inlady1,

My wife & I are doing the Jewel repo cruise October 28,2008. NY to Miami. We are retired and like the longer repo cruises. Can take longer than 1 week and they are usually less per day than other cruises.

Charles

Radio, is the access at Cafe Latte free or pay?

Was the search for free Wifi too much and you're using Cafe Latte?

Love the pictures and info, thanks for doing this!

It is a pay cafe. . . The Free internet outside of the ship is usually good, but last night, I had a tough time connecting. It was even tough when i used the Ship Wi Fi.

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

thanks for all the lovely pics. especially the water shots. bermuda blue is the best. i lived on guam 3 years and never saw water that blue. thanks for the reservation info for dinner. we have only cruised once (RCI) and we were always eating on the run. this time we may sit and enjoy the cruise ship dining experience.

now a question. how do the beds compare to RCI? we've read they are a bit uncomfortable. not that it matters much. i'm looking forward to some good sleeping on board, just like last time! me and the mr. slept like rocks.

thanks again for sharing with us.

The bedding will not be replaced with the new 2.0 enhancements on the Majesty.

They will complete some new things, but not the bedding.

RCI bedding is very nice ! !:)

I slept like a baby though !

Radio

Hello everyone !

The weather gets better everyday here ! Today the weather was sunny and warm 82f.

I started off by hopping on my scooter and going over to the Café Latte, a few blocks away from the ship. (To fix some internet pics)

I went to Flatts Village area, over at the National Aquarium and Zoo.

The Aquarium might be the best bargain in Bermuda, with only a $10 admission.

I then went off to the south side beaches, where I passed many beautiful beaches. Some of the beaches were John Smith’s Bay Beach, Devonshire Bay Park, Elbow Beach (Home of the Elbow beach Resort), Warwick Long Bay Beach, and the beautiful (but crowded) Horseshoe Bay Beach.

I had to get back to the ship by 1:30PM, due to a pre arranged Bridge Tour. I was invited on the Tour by Hotel Director (Derek Van der Nest) , and I thought that was very nice of him to offer the tour(to me and the other Cruise Critic members). . .

I found out that in the freestyle Daily, that anyone could sign up for the tour at 2PM.

It was suggested that there are only a couple of ships that will arrange the bridge tour, because the newer NCL ships have a window that opens up to the bridge for all passengers to see.

2ND Officer, Mirela Merscic provided insight, and comments about being an Officer with NCL. Thanks go out to Ms Merscic for providing a wonderful tour. She loves her job !

I grabbed a bite to eat, and then when for a swim/snorkel at Tobacco Bay Beach. . . There were thousands of fish to see.

The water was warm, and blue. It seemed that you could see underwater forever !

I haven’t decided yet if I will go over to Harbour Nights yet. . . The last SeaExpress ferry from Hamilton to St George’s is 4PM.

I will wait and decide later.

I think I heard the Four Seasons Dining room calling. . . I will check back in later.

Here are a few pics from today. . .

Thanks for tuning in !

Radio

Flatts Village

W14.jpg

Bermuda National Aquarium

W15.jpg

In front the Aquarium. . .

W16.jpg

Large salt water tank with Tropical Fish

(I have many more pics from the Aquarium/Zoo that i will post when I return)

W17.jpg

John Smith’s Bay Park beach

W18.jpg

Elbow Beach Resort (The public Elbow Beach is 100yds north of here)

W19.jpg

Here are a few more pics from today. . .

Radio

Tobacco Bay Beach has very calm, and very warm water. . .

W9.jpg

The Snorkeling was best here !

W11.jpg

It was very good here too, and very beautiful.

W12.jpg

Horseshoe Bay beach was VERY crowded. . .

W22.jpg

There is a snack bar, with cold drinks, and changing rooms here. You can also rent a chair or umbrella.

W23.jpg

The pink sand, and the views of the Ocean are what brings passengers back again, and again.

W24.jpg

Here are the last for today. . . I will try to post afew more before we leave tomorrow.

Thanks for all of the nice comments. . . .

Thanks for tuning in ! !

Radio

Starboard Bridge Wing

W27.jpg

View from the Port Bridge Wing

W28.jpg

Looking at the Bow from the Bridge

W29.jpg

2ND Officer, Mirela Merscic

W30.jpg

Radio, and the 2nd Officer on the Bridge

W31.jpg

Majesty about 1 hour ago. . .

W34.jpg

Radio thanks so much for sharing your trip with us. Your pictures are just beautiful. We sailed on the Majesty to Bermuda 10 times before they moved her. We did go on the Dream on June 1. It was nice but just not the same as the Majesty. We sure do miss her.

Radio:

I hate to bug you with something so minor, but could you ask someone on the bridge (maybe that nice 2nd Officer) why the bridge-webcam is offline? I have several links to Majesty's bridgecam, and they all show a vague coastline and are frozen on "Wednesday, May 28 - 11:08:53"

I'd sort of like to be able to see that webcam, while I dream about our trip this November!!

Also, that great shot you took off the bridge, that shows the bow of the ship, with all the little fishies painted on it... Is that open to passengers, to walk to the prow and look forward, or is it off-limits, do you know?

Thanks for a superb set of posts, for taking your vacaton to tantalize us all about ours, and for being such a great sport!! You ROCK!

Radio:

I hate to bug you with something so minor, but could you ask someone on the bridge (maybe that nice 2nd Officer) why the bridge-webcam is offline? I have several links to Majesty's bridgecam, and they all show a vague coastline and are frozen on "Wednesday, May 28 - 11:08:53"

I'd sort of like to be able to see that webcam, while I dream about our trip this November!!

Also, that great shot you took off the bridge, that shows the bow of the ship, with all the little fishies painted on it... Is that open to passengers, to walk to the prow and look forward, or is it off-limits, do you know?

Thanks for a superb set of posts, for taking your vacaton to tantalize us all about ours, and for being such a great sport!! You ROCK!

Yes, I brought that up on Sunday. NCL Management is aware of it. . .they said it was not a problem with the ship, but a problem with their server. It is on someone's list to correct.

Passengers are not allowed on the Bow area. There is another area on Deck 7 FWD (just below the Bridge) which offers nice views.

Thanks for the nice comments. . .

Radio

;) ;)

Thanks for the great snorkeling pics. Did you find out about the cave that you can snorkel in?

Is the sand the same color in real life as it is in your pics? It's gorgeous! Thanks for sharing?

I didn't find out about the Cave. . . sorry, but the sand on the beach photos are un edited. The pink sand is real.

Radio

Mr. Radio, you put my own Bermuda pictures to shame. May I ask what kind of camera(s) you are using and do you use any sort of filter to mask the glare of the intense Bermuda sunlight?

Thanks ! I use a Sony DSC -W50, and a Sony DSC-H10. I have taken over 700 pics so far, but have delete many of them. . . When I return, I will post about 100 pics to my Photo Page.

Radio

Hi Radio;

Love your reports! Thank you so much for taking the time and being so thorough. We sail her on 9/20 from Philly; it is our first cruise on NCL. Have many cruises on RCI and Celebrity. We are in a DD stateroom, similar to yours. My main concern is the size of the bathroom and shower as I am a plus-size gal. Could you take a couple photos of the bathroom for me? I'd be so grateful. Have a great time and smooth sailing back. Thanks again! Kelli

Hi Radio;

Love your reports! Thank you so much for taking the time and being so thorough. We sail her on 9/20 from Philly; it is our first cruise on NCL. Have many cruises on RCI and Celebrity. We are in a DD stateroom, similar to yours. My main concern is the size of the bathroom and shower as I am a plus-size gal. Could you take a couple photos of the bathroom for me? I'd be so grateful. Have a great time and smooth sailing back. Thanks again! Kelli

Yeah, the BR is a little small, but there is room.

I will take several photos, and post them upon my return in Baltimore.

Radio

Hello everyone ! This is my last day in Beautiful Bermuda. . .

I have to take the Scooter back to Oleander’s, and then it is just a short walk back to the ship.

I have to get a Royal Gazette also, before I get back on the ship.

I love the fact the NCL offers a “LIVE” Broadcast of the Local TV Station in Bermuda. It is nice to hear and see the things that the locals are watching for news, weather, and sports. . .

The local channel has about 6 hours of local coverage. The rest are feeds, from ABC.

I was able to meet the NCL Fleet Hotel Director yesterday, Klause Lugmaier. He was very happy to be on board, and he is of part of the team to implement the New Freestyle 2.0 appointments.

He suggested that ALL of the 2.0 features will be added to Majesty (except for the Hotel upgrades. . .bedding, pillows etc.)

I think that is great, especially since the Majesty is currently owned by Louis Cruise Lines. (It is being leased back to NCL for about 40K per day.)

He also told me that he also read Cruise Critic !

Here are some pics from this morning. . .

More pics from sail away later today !

Thanks for tuning in. . .

Radio

Morning Pool Deck

TH2.jpg

Passenger Scooter Parking Lot. . .Right next to the ship !

TH5.jpg

Early Morning AFT view of NCL Dream

TH7.jpg

Fort George, up on the hill

TH11.jpg

Downtown St George’s, early morning.

TH10.jpg

We will be sailing soon. . . I can't wait to come back !

TH1.jpg

I have to take the Scooter back to Oleander’s, and then it is just a short walk back to the ship.

Radio, how much for the three day scooter rental? I rode motorcycles for many years, but the horror stories about cruise ship passengers being injured on scooters has me worried.

We waited too long to book excursions for our 7/19 sailing, so we're rolling our own. We'll do a Segway tour in King's Wharf, with afternoon stops at Gibbs Lighthouse, Horseshoe Bay and Elbow Beach. The next day we'll visit the aquarium, Crystal Caves with an afternoon Jet Ski ride in St. Charles. And a stop or two at Swizzle Inn thrown in.

I found a terrific bus map for Bermuda. If we don't rent the scooter we'll get the three day bus pass. Here's the link for the bus map: http://www.netlinkbermuda.com/PDF's/PTB%20Routes.pdf

Paul, if you rode motorcycles, you should be perfectly fine with the scooters. DH had one years ago and now he always drives and I sit on the back. The way you get in trouble is to drive too fast and forget that you're on the opposite side of the road, close to stone walls and sharp bends in the road. The turnabouts (think Towson if you're familiar, but many more in Bermuda) are also a little confusing, but it's certainly not rocket science. IMO, the advantage of getting the scooter is you can go where you want when you want, not having to wait for public transportation and making many stops on the way to your destination. ;)

http://www.oleandercycles.bm/rates.html

Yes, you hear horror stories about cruise passengers and scooters, and the cruiselines will attempt to steer you away from renting one, but I wonder how many cruise passengers actually do rent scooters/mopeds and come back to the ship unscathed? You never hear about those pax. ;)

Radio, have a safe trip home and thanks again! :)

Radio, how much for the three day scooter rental? I rode motorcycles for many years, but the horror stories about cruise ship passengers being injured on scooters has me worried.

I found a terrific bus map for Bermuda. If we don't rent the scooter we'll get the three day bus pass.

Radio,

Thanks so much for your review and picture postings. Can't wait until we board Majesty on 7/5. Could you please answer this once and for all on the Majesty: Is there a "Beer Card" or is it just an urban legend? If so, could you verify the brands and cost? Thanks.

Thanks again for sharing your cruise with us. Looking forward to your continue posts, especially your arrival back in Baltimore.

Radio,

thanks so much for keeping us updated on your trip! I'm sure it had to take time from your vacation! I'm sure you had a great time, I can't wait to go out on the 12th of July! Your pictures have been great to see, makes the trip even more exciting. thanks again so much!:D

safe trip home, Debbie

Archived