Princess vs. RCI -need advice from experts!

brazilgirl

After returning from a lovely cruise on the Summit , I am planning to take my parents on a cruise at the end of November.

My parents have never cruised .They will be celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary and it will have been exactly one year since my father had a malignant brain tumor removed. He is still struggling with chronic myloid leukemia diagnosed a month after his surgery (he is improving every day!)

I want this to be a special experience for every one involved. My parents are not by any means "demanding" passengers. They are relaxed people who love seeing new cultures and meeting people from around the world. I know one of the things my dad will most enjoy is meeting the crew members from around the world.

I am looking at 2 almost identical itineraries-

Ruby Princess-leaves Fort Lauderdale , visiting Cozumel , Grand Cayman , Ocho Rios , and the Princess private island (7 nights)

Mariner of the Seas-leaves Port Canavarel , visiting all the same ports , with Labadee in place of the Princess Island.

If I leave from Port Canaveral I can spend a couple days at Disney World with the kids (ages 4 ,8 and 11)-they have never been....

I´d love to hear from anyone who has sailed on either ship or cruiseline (or both to compare and contrast)

I am posting here because I want a "neutral opinion" and I loved the Celebrity experience so much.....

Thanks for your time and opinions.

Kim

After returning from a lovely cruise on the Summit , I am planning to take my parents on a cruise at the end of November.

My parents have never cruised .They will be celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary and it will have been exactly one year since my father had a malignant brain tumor removed. He is still struggling with chronic myloid leukemia diagnosed a month after his surgery (he is improving every day!)

I want this to be a special experience for every one involved. My parents are not by any means "demanding" passengers. They are relaxed people who love seeing new cultures and meeting people from around the world. I know one of the things my dad will most enjoy is meeting the crew members from around the world.

I am looking at 2 almost identical itineraries-

Ruby Princess-leaves Fort Lauderdale , visiting Cozumel , Grand Cayman , Ocho Rios , and the Princess private island (7 nights)

Mariner of the Seas-leaves Port Canavarel , visiting all the same ports , with Labadee in place of the Princess Island.

If I leave from Port Canaveral I can spend a couple days at Disney World with the kids (ages 4 ,8 and 11)-they have never been....

I´d love to hear from anyone who has sailed on either ship or cruiseline (or both to compare and contrast)

I am posting here because I want a "neutral opinion" and I loved the Celebrity experience so much.....

Thanks for your time and opinions.

Kim

I haven't sailed on Princess yet, but I have been on Mariner of the Seas. Like all the ships in this class, it's very big (yes, I know that's obvious). I found that I disliked the size, even though (as others have noted) it doesn't seem all that crowded. It's the nicest of the ships of this class that I have sailed, though, with an excellent crew.

But I think it's aimed more at younger families than your parents. If they can handle this, it's fine. Personally, I'd look for a ship in the Radiance class. These have plenty of activities for your kids, too, but I think they tend to have a slightly older group of passengers, which might fit your parents better. I haven't checked out the options available, though, so this might not work out for your dates.

My parents are both 60 (they were parents at 20!) and are very "young at heart" , active people. I wouldn´t think the size of the ship would bother them, as long as some place on the ship they could retreat for quiet time.

Thanks for the prompt comments.

I´ve read the 2 threads about Celebrity cruisers on Princess and RCI -interesting..

We have sailed many times on RCCL ships of all different sizes. I think you would be very happy with the Mariner, your parents also. And the chance to go to Disney World would make the Mariner from Port Canaveral our choice.

Hypo

If you really want to go to Disney World, then there is not much of a choice. I have been on both Princess and RCCL. Might be a little more for the kids on RCCL - probably too young for rock climbing wall. For myself I would choose branad new Ruby Princess in a heartbeat. Last cruise on RCL was Freedom of the Seas. Food was awful everywhere and you couldn't get a seat in the buffet at lunch - not that you would want to eat the food anyhow. Personal Choice Dining on Princess is a plus with children and Princess also offers very nice dining in the Lido in the evenings. For example, on lobster night in the Dining Rooms they had crab legs in the Lido (all you could eat - way better than lobster). I suggest you get a minisuite on Princess - really nice cabins for the price. If you get a balcony cabin, go for the BA or BB on Caribe deck - much larger balcony half covered.

The crab legs sound so good....I grew up in California and crab is one of my best childhood memories.

It is hard to find anything on the Ruby , being as she is brand new.

Food is an important issue. Is Princess really much better than RCI??

I like the flexibility of options that the Ruby seems to offer.

I could do Disney on another occasion if I decide on the Ruby. I tend to think

Princess is more "elegant"-is that right?

Thanks!Kim

I've been on both lines. Princess in Baltic, Alaska, and NE/Canada--3 different ships. One cruise on RCCL on the Radiance through the Panama Canal. They both have pluses and minuses. My opinion is that Princess attracts a more upscale cruiser, but that might have been just the cruises we were on. Princess has a choice of Anytime Dining and the regular and as far as I know, RC just has the regular dining. RC has larger rooms in the less expensive categories than does Princess, but the room layout is better in Princess where the closet and bathroom doors don't open into the hall where you enter the stateroom. I preferred the buffet on RC and the large, tiered outdoor seating at the aft of the ship. I don't really have an opinion on the entertainment.

Either way, I would choose the itinerary that you like and the port that's the most convenient for you. If your parents have never cruised before, they won't know the difference and will find either one wonderful!

Been on both lines and I think the food was much better on Princess...on the Radiance it was bland and the service was poor. I have read, elsewhere on CC, that the food is not as good as it once was on RCCL..but food can be a very subjective item! I agree, no matter what you choose, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. Also, certain November dates may be more expensive and crowded because of Thanksgiving. LuAnn

Actually , the November dates after thanksgiving are the cheapest of all!!!Around $600 cheaper per person on each cruiseline...

I think people have to get back to work after Thanksgiving and before Christmas and New Year´s.The Mariner leaves on the Sunday after Thanksgiving and The Ruby leaves on Saturday....

At least I am hoping we will just miss the crowds.

I know we will have a great time on either ship. I am debating more for my own sake , as I am the planner and the researcher. I love this part. I want to chose the ship I think I will love the most as no one else will probably even notice. They are all good natured people who don´t tend to see the glass as half empty.

What is there to do in Fort Lauderdale?

The fact that the Ruby is so brand new is entincing.

Does either line have yummy waffles with fresh berries and whipped cream?

Kim

If this is your parents first cruise, they are going to be "wowed" no matter which ship you choose. It is easy to be subjective when you have something else to choose from. Pick whichever works best for your family and schedule.

If you loved Celebrity, you will be making comparisons, but your parents won't know the difference. We did a family cruise w/7 couples on RCCL and 2 couples had never been on a cruise before and totally enjoyed the experience. The rest of us had been on 1-7 cruises and of course could pick what we did or didn't like.

RCCL & Princess both have their loyalists or they wouldn't still be in business, so they can't be all bad or all good. We have also been on 2 Princess cruises and liked them fine. Frankly, you are on a cruise, what can be bad about it?

Thought i'd toss this in for the OP. The Ruby Princess and the Mariner of the Seas hold the same amount of passengers. Both around 3100, give or take a few. Size wise, the Ruby Princess is 116,000 GRT and Mariner of the Seas is 137,000 GRT. All other things being equal, i would take the Mariner based on its passenger space ratio.

Happy Cruising!

We were on Adventure of the Seas, and while at first I was apprehensive, I must say that has been my favorite ship so far.

We were on Dawn Princess, and weren't impressed. Some people told us that the newer ships are nicer. My DH has one person at work that only sails Princess, and one that only sails RCI (and only in the Caribbean, twice a year!)

We like set dining times at a set table, so the Anytime dining didn't matter to us. RCI is supposed to be starting somethng similar I read somewhere.

To me, any food I don't have to plan, fix, or clean up after is great. There is always something to find on the menu.

Good luck with your decision, and have a great time.

The crab legs sound so good....I grew up in California and crab is one of my best childhood memories.

It is hard to find anything on the Ruby , being as she is brand new.

Food is an important issue. Is Princess really much better than RCI??

I like the flexibility of options that the Ruby seems to offer.

I could do Disney on another occasion if I decide on the Ruby. I tend to think

Princess is more "elegant"-is that right?

Thanks!Kim

If you are flying in from Brazil I take it you will be going either to Miami/Ft Lauderdale or Orlando, why not fly into Orlando do Disney and Hire a car to drive down to FLL.

The drivetime is less than 4 hours allowing for stops etc, you can leave the car at the airport and shuttle to the port then after the cruise just fly home.

Car rental in Florida is very cheap and the drive to Ft Lauderdale from Orlando is pretty easy, the toll roads cost about $20. We are from the UK and fly direct to Orlando as it is better for us and then drive down to the port.

I would go for the Ruby the kids will have a better time and your parents will enjoy it too.

Have a great trip.

Thought i'd toss this in for the OP. The Ruby Princess and the Mariner of the Seas hold the same amount of passengers. Both around 3100, give or take a few. Size wise, the Ruby Princess is 116,000 GRT and Mariner of the Seas is 137,000 GRT. All other things being equal, i would take the Mariner based on its passenger space ratio.

Happy Cruising!

Disagree. Never felt crowded on Crown Princess or Caribbean Princess - same size ships. Could never find a seat in buffet on RCL Freedom of the Seas.

Hi Kim,

I have sailed on both Princess and RCL (as well as Celebrity) and your family will enjoy them both, whatever you decide. Judging from your overall plans, though, I would choose the Mariner. Yes it is a HUGE ship, but there are so many unique things to do that I think they would love it; the ice skating show is truly incredible to see on a ship, and the open atrium is always a nice stroll. It's easy to navigate too despite the size. The two specialty dining venues make for a special night out. Also, the big bonus for you is Port Canaveral is close to Disney World so you can visit there before the cruise. I live in Orlando, so perhaps I'm not quite 'neutral' but think you would love this combination of trips. November is a great time to visit Disney (with the exception of the crowds at Thanksgiving week); nice weather, and fewer crowds.

Enjoy!

We've sailed RC quite a bit, and Princess only once. I would say that the Ruby is a nice choice because we've been on her sister, the Emerald. That's really the only reason I would recommend it though. I did not care for the Princess experience as much as RC. We cruised Princess last T-giving and found there to be many older people on board (not a problem for us), and they seemed to have a good time. We just prefer RC. Would we sail with Princess again? Yes, but we're not in any hurry. Far too many inconsistencies compared to RC.

We have sailed on both lines. Just did a trip at Christmas on Crown Princess which is very large. I love anytime dining and the food was excellent. Although we were alone, I was impressed with the activities for kids. They were busy and happy. The specialty dining room was fantastic! We have been on a number of lines and so far Princess is our favorite. we feel the entertainment and the excursions are the best. This fall we will try the Summit and then do the inevitiable comparison. Good luck with your choice.

Thank you so much for all the advice-it looks like I am going to choose the Mariner because of the Disney connection.....Might as well take advantage of the fact that we are already there!

I am curious to try Princess too-future cruise ,perhaps.

No matter what I know it will be special. Now it looks like my sister might jump on board with her family , so it ´ll be a real "reunion."

Joywrk-have fun on the Summit-you will love her!

Looking forward to visiting Orlando ..sounds like a nice area.

Kim

Archived