Any word if Princess will change smoking policy in near future?

Bishopcfd

RCACACE - This is the address I used to write to Princess. I don't have any special person's name or anything:

Princess Cruises

Passenger Relations Department

24305 Town Center Drive

Valencia, California 92355

BDJAM - Yes, we have been bothered by heavy smokers (cigarettes and pipes and cigars) on the balcony on each side of us and below us on a number of cruises. We just kept our door closed and waited until they were gone before we went out. Our cabin on our January 2008 Diamond Princess Hawaii Cruise had obviously previously been occupied by very heavy smokers. The cabin attendant tried several times to clean rid the cabin of the smell but it was in all the upholstery and drapes, and especially the fabric headboard of the bed. When the balcony doors were closed at night and we were in bed it was very noticeable. We had never had this problem before.

We have been so bothered by smoke on Princess that we have (temporarily, hopefully) crossed Princess off our "will cruise" lines list altogether. That's sad for us since we have Platinum status on the line, Princess' home is the same as ours—California—and we really love some of the itineraries and staff (David Cole, for one).

Princess should be at least as smoking-restrictive as Celebrity Cruises will be beginning October 1st, which means NO SMOKING ON BALCONIES and NO SMOKING IN CABINS and very restrictive cigar smoking (to two places on the Lido deck, and then the times are restricted). Also, much less smoke in public rooms on Celebrity than on Princess.

Public lounges where entertainment events are held should be smoke-free altogether, and there can be some enclosed smoking rooms on the same deck for those who feel the need to smoke.

Princess is hopelessly behind their competitors and are making a foolish mistake by not restricting smoking significantly.

BDJAM - Yes, we have been bothered by heavy smokers (cigarettes and pipes and cigars) on the balcony on each side of us and below us on a number of cruises. We just kept our door closed and waited until they were gone before we went out. Our cabin on our January 2008 Diamond Princess Hawaii Cruise had obviously previously been occupied by very heavy smokers. The cabin attendant tried several times to clean rid the cabin of the smell but it was in all the upholstery and drapes, and especially the fabric headboard of the bed. When the balcony doors were closed at night and we were in bed it was very noticeable. We had never had this problem before.

Instead of keeping your door closed and waiting, you should have asked the smokers if they would come to some sort of compromise with you - otherwise how would they know they were bothering someone - especially if there was no one out on the balcony when they were smoking? Perhaps you shouldn't spend the money on a balcony cabin if you're unable to use it.

If the cabin attendant was not able to get the smoke smell out of your cabin, then you are the first person that I know that this has happened to and the first time in over 10 years of cruising Princess that I have heard this happening.

And for the rest of you popping popcorn and getting sodas, if you really want the thread to die, let it - every time you post it brings it to the top of the page...as if you didn't know that. Nobody is forcing you to look.

Princess is hopelessly behind their competitors and are making a foolish mistake by not restricting smoking significantly.

:rolleyes: If you feel that way, then taking your money to another cruise line is the right thing to do.

Oh good another smoke thread. Pass the popcorn please!!!!

Tried to go to the movies tonight but theatre was with out power due to a heavy thunder storm here. If I knew this was on I would have stayed home and watched this show... :) Is it ok to smoke here??? hehehehehhe

Hello BDJAM - Actually, this was the first time I had this stale smoke odor in the upholstery problem in over 30 years of cruising and 60+ cruises.

As you suggested, we have tried to politely come to an agreement with neighbors smoking on balconies. Some were nice about it and some not so nice so we just decided we would rather not have any confrontations with our neighbors about this and just let them smoke. When you approach someone on this very sensitive topic no matter how polite you are, you sometimes still can get very negative responses.

If you feel that way, then taking your money to another cruise line is the right thing to do.

I agree, so I have. And I will, repeatedly, and Princess will come around one of these days, hopefully, too.

Oh, by the way, just which restaurant or bar in Pleasant Hill and vicinity do you recommend smoking enthusiasts patronize? :D

Other than Celebrity, which isn't instituting it's new smoking policies until October, what other "competitors" is Princess hopelessly behind? Over the years, Princess has quietly reduced the areas where people can smoke and most Princess ships have only one or two lounges (out of several) where people can smoke.

One thing to keep in mind is that on many Princess cruises, Americans are in the minority. We're pretty used to smoke-free living but recent trips have brought home to me that smoking is still very much alive in many other parts of the world. Throughout Europe, you'll encounter smokers everywhere in every restaurant. Same goes for China, Russia, Eastern Med, etc., etc. During my recent trip to Paris, there was heavy smoke everywhere and you couldn't eat in even fine restaurants without someone smoking nearby. While Princess is an American company, many of their passengers are not Americans. I'm not trying to justify their policies but rather trying to put it into perspective.

Throughout Europe, you'll encounter smokers everywhere in every restaurant. Same goes for China, Russia, Eastern Med, etc., etc. During my recent trip to Paris, there was heavy smoke everywhere and you couldn't eat in even fine restaurants without someone smoking nearby.

This is actually changing quite a bit - here is a lit of countries and places where smoking is banned (and where it is banned): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_smoking_bans

I also hope that ships do more to prevent smoking onboard and actually enforce it. I bet the trend is going there as it will probably cost less to insure ships that have limited smoking areas due to fire reasons.

This is actually changing quite a bit - here is a lit of countries and places where smoking is banned (and where it is banned): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_smoking_bans

I also hope that ships do more to prevent smoking onboard and actually enforce it. I bet the trend is going there as it will probably cost less to insure ships that have limited smoking areas due to fire reasons.

Thank you for the link. I had seen it before, but it is just one which demonstrates how much things have already changed with regards to smoking. Far fewer people smoke than in "the old days" and far fewer will smoke in the future.

Princess has a duty to protect the health and well-being of people who cruise on her ships, and of all lines, Princess had the first and best opportunity to ban smoking after the fire on the balcony of the Star Princess. One of her sister lines, a P&O brand, has taken steps to restrict smoking significantly, and I don't understand why Princess has not been a leader in this effort rather than a "johnny-come-lately".

Several major hotel chains are 100% smoke-free now, and that means that not only can you have a smoke-free room, but the entire premises, including bars, lobbies, etc. are clean and fresh-smelling, too.

I don't have the whole list, but Marriott hotels (and all affiliated hotels) and Starwood hotels (all affiliates) are among those that have gone smoke-free.

We believe in putting our money where our mouth is, so we support these two hotel chains at every opportunity, along with small hotels that are smoke-free.

In Europe I know the excellent Mövenpick (Moevenpick) hotel chain (Swiss-owned) is smoke-free and they have a hotel right at the cruise terminal in Amsterdam and that is smoke-free.

The above poster needs to let this thread die peacefully.

How many times does this subject have to be gone over?

Princess Cruises is in business to make money, and they do that by cruising with full ships. In order to fill the shios, both smokers and nonsmokers are being accomodated.

As has been stated more than once in this thread, places where smokers can "legally" indulge onboard are getting more and more limited. Why can't some people accept that not everyone is rabidly anti-smoking, and learn, as other have, a spirit of cooperation, that allows smokers to indulge where permitted by the cruise line,and stop demanding that Princess impose their (above poster's) preference on everyone who sails with Princess???

Princess Cruises is in business to make money, and they do that by cruising with full ships. In order to fill the shios, both smokers and nonsmokers are being accomodated.

The point is that non-smokers are being exposed to smoke that they do not wish to inhale. Princess Cruises does not provide non-smoking cabins. None at all. Princess Cruises permits smoking on balconies. Non-smokers' needs are not being met.

This issue needs to be addressed (and re-addressed) until it is is resolved so that non-smokers can have a smoke-free cabin and a smoke-free balcony.

That is not asking for too much.

Thank you for the link. I had seen it before, but it is just one which demonstrates how much things have already changed with regards to smoking. Far fewer people smoke than in "the old days" and far fewer will smoke in the future.

Princess has a duty to protect the health and well-being of people who cruise on her ships, and of all lines, Princess had the first and best opportunity to ban smoking after the fire on the balcony of the Star Princess. One of her sister lines, a P&O brand, has taken steps to restrict smoking significantly, and I don't understand why Princess has not been a leader in this effort rather than a "johnny-come-lately".

Several major hotel chains are 100% smoke-free now, and that means that not only can you have a smoke-free room, but the entire premises, including bars, lobbies, etc. are clean and fresh-smelling, too.

I don't have the whole list, but Marriott hotels (and all affiliated hotels) and Starwood hotels (all affiliates) are among those that have gone smoke-free.

We believe in putting our money where our mouth is, so we support these two hotel chains at every opportunity, along with small hotels that are smoke-free.

In Europe I know the excellent Mövenpick (Moevenpick) hotel chain (Swiss-owned) is smoke-free and they have a hotel right at the cruise terminal in Amsterdam and that is smoke-free.

Good Grief......is there no end to this rant???? Poster is multi-tasking like a pro......all over the place......

Smoking is here to stay.....always has been, always will be. There is enough room for everyone's disgusting habits, no matter what they are. Don't like smoke? Fine, no problem..... Stay away from venues that permit smoking, ships that permit smoking, hotels, whole countries if you wish.... But, if you chose to cruise on a ship that has smoking areas, then tone it down. Nobody is forcing anyone to cruise on that ship, it's not required, not mandatory. As an American, you have freedom of choice....excercise it!!!

P.S. Non-smoker here.....but get up to my craw with this nonsense.

The point is that non-smokers are being exposed to smoke that they do not wish to inhale. Princess Cruises does not provide non-smoking cabins. None at all. Princess Cruises permits smoking on balconies. Non-smokers' needs are not being met.

This issue needs to be addressed (and re-addressed) until it is is resolved so that non-smokers can have a smoke-free cabin and a smoke-free balcony.

Nonsmokers are being exposed to smokers because they CHOOSE to cruise on Princess. Princess isn't doing anything to them, neither are the smokers. It is the nonsmokers own choice to do so when the reservation is made. When you put yourself into a venue where smoking is permitted, it's YOUR fault if you are exposed to it, not the smoker.

If you want smoke free, there are options. Azamara and Oceania come to mind. Take advantage of those lines where smoking is very, very restrictive......

We have been so bothered by smoke on Princess that we have (temporarily, hopefully) crossed Princess off our "will cruise" lines list altogether. ...

Does that also mean the Princess board is soon to be crossed off your "will post" list too? ;)

It certainly ISN'T asking for too much.

There are lots of passengers who would rather be "BREATHERS" than 'smokers", whose needs are NOT being met by the cruise lines.

We are getting really tired of not being taken seriously...:mad:

We are getting really tired of not being taken seriously...:mad:

Another thread I should really stay out of, but the posts are so outlandish, it's hard not to.

You think you're not being taken seriously because Princess accommodates its smoking passengers as well as its non-smoking passengers? Don’t you think that if you weren’t being taken seriously you would be accosted by smoke in the dining room and in the show lounges and in the buffet? How about passageways and elevators? How many times on a Princess ship could you really tell that someone was smoking in your cabin before you got in it? If you weren't being taking seriously, why has smoking become more restrictive on board in just the last year? And a little common courtesy from non-smokers would probably take care of the smoking issue on balconies...but no, they'd rather complain here where it does no good.

Its just like the formal dress argument – why do people buy a cruise product that doesn’t suit them?

A cruise ship is not like a smoke free hotel – people who smoke in “smoke free” hotels can go off premises to smoke. I know that you’d prefer that they jump overboard to have a cigarette, but where is a smoker going to go during a seven day cruise? As long as Princess continues to court a market with a wide range of tastes they will continue to accommodate smokers. Those who find this an issue are free to spend their money elsewhere.

Right - Princess has a responsibility for keeping its passengers safe where reasonable. If you choose to go into a smoking area and inhale when you know you shouldn't that's not Princess' issue.

Oh, by the way, just which restaurant or bar in Pleasant Hill and vicinity do you recommend smoking enthusiasts patronize? :D

I really have no idea what this question has to do with smoking on cruise ships, since time spent in a land-based restaurant or bar is a very small percentage of the time spent on a ship on a seven day cruise, but to your point, a number of bar owners in the area have been reasonable and have created outdoor patios for their smoking patrons. Restaurants also have designated smoking areas outside for their patrons. Its an arrangement that is within the law and that also accomodates smokers AND non-smokers. And funny, people in Pleasant Hill who don’t want to be bothered with smoke seem to be smart enough to stay away from the smoking areas. In fact I'd venture to say if they don't agree with providing a smoking area, they go to another restaurant or bar. Go figure. :rolleyes:

A few things bother me too! Let's ask the cruise lines to ban alcohol. Nothing worse than those drunks who sit by the pools all day and drink and drink and drink and then become obnoxious and sloppy. Could be very dangerous situation(to recovering alcoholics/addicts, this is a very dangerous trigger) and could harm other passengers(falling into them, etc.) Oh, and coffee drinkers(personal nastys to me). You know, first thing in the morning...they've already had that first cup(gave them that kick they needed) and all of a sudden chitter-chatter all over the buffet venue. Very bad for my health .., gives me a headache all day. Bottom line: SMOKING IS NOT ILLEGAL. As stated, if you object that strongly to smoking, find a smoke-free venue to travel by. By doing so, it will make all of us happy campers .

Archived