All Things Fascination

Quincella

Pamelab, which SHS location are you staying at when you arrive in Jax? I did't realize that there is one near the airport too, so when you said the airport was 12 miles away, I thought you staying at the southside location.

I know both areas fairly well.

jw

We're staying at the one on 13550 Airport Court.

thx ~ pamelab

Pamelab, which SHS location are you staying at when you arrive in Jax? I did't realize that there is one near the airport too, so when you said the airport was 12 miles away, I thought you staying at the southside location.

I know both areas fairly well.

jw

We're staying at the one on 13550 Airport Court.

thx ~ pamelab

OK, then at the Walrmart there is a liquor store there. Here is a link to some info on what is also in the River City Market Place nearby.

There are a lot of places to eat and shop at the RCMP now. Here is a link to some pics of most of the shops and restaurants there.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...partments.html

There are also several places to eat, west of it, near the airport hotels and car rental area.

If you like seafood, just east of the market place is Hwy 17 Main St. In a strip center to the south on the left is a place called Seafood Express. It has some of the best local southern seafood to be found in the area.

jw:cool:

ok I need some info since the Fastination is in Jax anybody know what time she hits the docks inbound or is supposed to lite off down the mighty ST Johns...

went over the dames point at 5:30 and she was still tied up, and this morning at 7am she wasn't home yet..

daytonadan

ok I need some info since the Fastination is in Jax anybody know what time she hits the docks inbound or is supposed to lite off down the mighty ST Johns...

went over the dames point at 5:30 and she was still tied up, and this morning at 7am she wasn't home yet..

daytonadan

Well I hope her delayed departure does not hold her up on the return Monday when I will be boarding !!!

Every cruise I've been on was scheduled to sail at 4:00 pm and arrive around the 7-8 am.

My Fascination sailing (12/13 5-day HMC & Nassau) leaves Sat at 4 pm, arrives Thursday 8 am.

When I was on the Celebration that was our time too, just wonderin if something changed, besides the ship

i saw the river traffic was pretty heavy so maybe that might have been the delay

Thanks

daytonadan

YEA!!! Our flight lands around supper time. Spring Hill Suites said their shuttle would take us anywhere close to the hotel once we got there. After we check in, we may go get a bite to eat and then on to Wal-Mart. Is Wal-Mart close to eating places? The lady at SHSuites said there was plenty to eat in the area. I just don't know how far everything is to each other. The airport is about 12 miles away - that's all I know!!

On the west side of 95 is Airport Rd. YOu have Denny's, A steak house or two, I think Ruby Tuesday's a few fast food type things like Subway built into Gas stations near the highway. There are several hotels on this side.

On the east side of 95 you will find River City marketplace, which is basically a typical outdoor mall with Old Navy type stores plus your typical strip mall type anchor stores, Wal-mart. It also has many restaurants, Cracker Barrel, and other fast food joints, pizza joint, Starbucks, Chick Fil A, McDs, Wendy's. There is also a movie theater for those coming in the night before. If coming in early enough in the day you can also visit the zoo or Budweiser brewery.

This area of town is not the best. Jacksonville has a HIGH violent crime rate. I would not recommend walking from one side of the highway to the other, but it is relatively close enough to do so during daylight hours. I would recommend letting the Hotel shuttle take you. Taxi is also good option, but honestly might take a while to get one since the are more likely to make the most money running people into town or back to the airport. They would only get about $3-5 on the meter from the highway hotels to the marketplace.

Walking within the marketplace from one store to another is possible but it is sprawled out so wear comfortable shoes, stay together, and don't go walking about after dark.

I don't give these warnings to scare anyone, but our town has a huge problem and no one seems to have any ideas about how to get it under control. I would hate to hear about anyone's vacation getting ruined.

I know the airport is easy, but another suggestion would be to go further out. Jax is very spread out with lots of interstate running thru it in all directions.

For example if you get a hotel at I-10 and Chaffee you are about a 15-20 minute ride to the airport, but we also have hotels and a Cracker Barrel. Wal-mart is not far. Grocery store and other restaurants and around. Then the next morning when rush hour clears out you are only 30 minutes from the port and it is all highway driving from here instead of the slower Heckscher Dr.

I295 and US 17/Roosevelt also has about the same amenities, but Target is closer than WalMart. It is about 25 minutes in the morning from here.

Hope this helps someone!

I cant remember what exit after the airport (off 95) it is to get to the ship.....anyone advise please ? Leaving Monday.

DIRECTIONS TO THE PORT:

FROM NORTH OF JACKSONVILLE

• Take I-95 South to State Road 9A South, exit 362-A, (1 mile past Jacksonville International Airport)
  • Take State Road 9A South for six miles to Zoo Parkway / Heckscher Drive exit (State Road 105)
  • Turn right on Zoo Parkway / Heckscher Drive (SR 105)
  • Cross New Berlin Road and go about 1/2 mile
  • Turn left into cruise terminal entrance on August Drive
  • Stop at guard station

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Cruise_Ship_Terminals_Parking_Directions_JACKSONVILLE.aspx

If you want a little more scenic (and slower) route to the port, you can use the directions below from the airport area. I saw another post, where the person stopped just before the port turn off to take pictures of the ship. :)

If you take 9A, you won't see the ship until you turn in at the port.

• Take I-95 South, to Heckscher Drive, exit(State Road 105 North) -- also known as "Zoo Parkway"
  • Stay on Heckscher Dr./Zoo Parkway North; pass the Jacksonville Zoo, and travel about four miles;
  • Turn right on August Drive into cruise terminal entrance;
  • Stop at guard's station.

jw:cool:

On the west side of 95 is Airport Rd. YOu have Denny's, A steak house or two, I think Ruby Tuesday's a few fast food type things like Subway built into Gas stations near the highway. There are several hotels on this side.

On the east side of 95 you will find River City marketplace, which is basically a typical outdoor mall with Old Navy type stores plus your typical strip mall type anchor stores, Wal-mart. It also has many restaurants, Cracker Barrel, and other fast food joints, pizza joint, Starbucks, Chick Fil A, McDs, Wendy's. There is also a movie theater for those coming in the night before. If coming in early enough in the day you can also visit the zoo or Budweiser brewery.

This area of town is not the best. Jacksonville has a HIGH violent crime rate. I would not recommend walking from one side of the highway to the other, but it is relatively close enough to do so during daylight hours. I would recommend letting the Hotel shuttle take you. Taxi is also good option, but honestly might take a while to get one since the are more likely to make the most money running people into town or back to the airport. They would only get about $3-5 on the meter from the highway hotels to the marketplace.

Walking within the marketplace from one store to another is possible but it is sprawled out so wear comfortable shoes, stay together, and don't go walking about after dark.

I don't give these warnings to scare anyone, but our town has a huge problem and no one seems to have any ideas about how to get it under control. I would hate to hear about anyone's vacation getting ruined.

I know the airport is easy, but another suggestion would be to go further out. Jax is very spread out with lots of interstate running thru it in all directions.

For example if you get a hotel at I-10 and Chaffee you are about a 15-20 minute ride to the airport, but we also have hotels and a Cracker Barrel. Wal-mart is not far. Grocery store and other restaurants and around. Then the next morning when rush hour clears out you are only 30 minutes from the port and it is all highway driving from here instead of the slower Heckscher Dr.

I295 and US 17/Roosevelt also has about the same amenities, but Target is closer than WalMart. It is about 25 minutes in the morning from here.

Hope this helps someone!

cantw82sail, what about the orange park area? i think we are going to be saying down in that area before our cruise...

cantw82sail, what about the orange park area? i think we are going to be saying down in that area before our cruise...

The 295 and US17/Roosevelt exit is Orange Park. There are at least 7 hotel options (3 brand new) at this exit and there is a Super Target within 3 miles, Super Walmart within 5 miles, Orange Park mall within 5 miles. There is also a dogtrack /poker room for evening entertainment at this exit.

Blanding and I-295 is also Orange Park but it is a traffic disaster. The hotels are older and they show it. There is also less selection

I need opinions and help from the Jacksonville locals who frequent this board. :) My family and I are sailing on the Feb. 12, 2009 sailing of the Fascination. I have booked an overnight stay on Feb. 11 at the Clarion Hotel at the Jacksonville Airport. We'll be coming in at night and the hotel has a free shuttle that takes you right to their hotel. What is your opinion of this hotel? Also, the next day, we plan on taking a taxi from the hotel to the pier. What do you think of this plan? Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Hi...I'm looking for pre cruise ideas. We will be staying Fri-Sun night in either Savannah or maybe St. Augustine. Mon. morning we will drive to the port. I know it will be chilly, but we love a beach! Any suggestions on where to go, stay and what to do? Thanks so much!

I need opinions and help from the Jacksonville locals who frequent this board. :) My family and I are sailing on the Feb. 12, 2009 sailing of the Fascination. I have booked an overnight stay on Feb. 11 at the Clarion Hotel at the Jacksonville Airport. We'll be coming in at night and the hotel has a free shuttle that takes you right to their hotel. What is your opinion of this hotel? Also, the next day, we plan on taking a taxi from the hotel to the pier. What do you think of this plan? Thanks in advance for your help. :)

I think your plan is ok, the airport is about 15 minute drive to the port. I have never heard anything bad about the hotel. But check with the hotel they may have a shuttle to the port. enjoy

daytonadan

Archived