All Things Fascination

Quincella

We are on her Jan 2009 - I was told when we booked the upgrade would be completed by the time we sailed - why doesnt anyone give a straight answer?!!!

I think most of it will be done but then but the Evolution of Fun will be done by the end of the year.

Ok, we are cruising on Nov 1st and I am having an awful time finding a hotel. Everthing seems to be booked. Finally one hotel informed me there is a GA/FL game that weekend and some hotels are requiring a min. stay. Anyone have any ideas on hotels on I95 close but not in Jax, maybe on the GA/FL line???? I'm about to stress here....

This should help get you started finding something.... look at the Brunswick exits (38 and 36) and Kingsland (exit 3).

http://www.i95exitguide.com/lodging/georgia.php

My daughter got married in Jacksonville last April and there are lots of hotels in the Jax area, on the coast, by the airport, and near the terminal. Hope you can find a place. If you are going in early, St. Augustine is only an hour away from Jax it is a neat place. Thanks for the review of the Fascination that changed course because of Ike, it is on the actual ship web page. Will some one who is going on the Key West and Nassau itinerary tell us about excursions and does anyone have the capers from there? Would love to see them. This ship looks like it will be lots of fun.

We have never done an excursion in Key West but have always been with people that know the area well that lives there or has been there many times.

Nassu we have been on a stingray excursion and a tour of the city.

Not much to do but Nassau is better than Freeport. However, I like Freeport for a day.

lonig- Have done many excursions in Nassau including: Atlantis Beach, Ardastra Gardens & Zoo, Horse Carriage Ride, British Colonial Hilton, and Pirate's Museum. Next year, we'll be in Nassau again on the Fascination and will be going to Wyndham Cable Beach for a day pass.

You might want to visit the Bahamas forum for more info on Nassau.

Thanks guys. Holiday Inn Express at the port and at the airport are booked. Receptionist at the airport -HATEFUL! I'll check out some of the other suggestions- something must be available. We want to get close as close as possible so we don't have to long of a ride the day of sailing. We have small children who enjoy cruising but not being strapped down in carseats:)

Thanks guys. Holiday Inn Express at the port and at the airport are booked. Receptionist at the airport -HATEFUL! I'll check out some of the other suggestions- something must be available. We want to get close as close as possible so we don't have to long of a ride the day of sailing. We have small children who enjoy cruising but not being strapped down in carseats:)

Have you tried using Expedia or Travelocity to find an available room during that weekend. FL/GA weekend is really a big thing here, so you may want to try south as well, maybe St.Augustine.

Check visitjacksonvile.com, they have a comprehensive list of accommodations too.

jw:cool:

If you stay somewhere between Savannah, Pooler, Brunswick, etc. you will have no more that 1 1/2 to 2 hours in the car. We did this to JAXPort this past January with our 4yo and it was perfect. She watched a short movine on DVD, then we stopped at the FL welcome center for some fresh squeezed OJ, then 20 minutes of sightseeing til you get to the port. They should be fine!

We are on the 11/20 sailing (without DD - she'll be with grandparents at the beach). Have a great cruise!

We booked a room at the Spring Hill Suites for $71 last night. I have not stayed at this hotel, but one in Memphis and Atlanta and they are very nice and roomy. We have 3 children - 2 teenagers, and a 3 year old. We need the extra space that will fit all of us comfortably. It's the Spring Hill Suites Airport. Free shuttle from airport to hotel if you are flying. Their Stay and Cruise Package is $129. We will come out cheaper finding our own way to the cruise terminal. We saved $60 not buying that package.

We are on her Jan 2009 - I was told when we booked the upgrade would be completed by the time we sailed - why doesnt anyone give a straight answer?!!!

When I booked, my PVP assured me the Serenity area would be done. Nope. I think Fantasy is next, then another ship after that. In fact, I've seen nothing about when we really can expect Fascination to be completed. She will NOT be done any time soon.

I was hoping it would be done when we sail, but I'll just have to go up to the Sun Deck and lay out there, like I always do.

Personally, I think there's plenty to do in Nassau. I've been 3 times and can return many, many more times before I decide I've seen it all and done it all. And I have zero interest in Atlantis, yet still think there's plenty to do!

We booked a room at the Spring Hill Suites for $71 last night. I have not stayed at this hotel, but one in Memphis and Atlanta and they are very nice and roomy. We have 3 children - 2 teenagers, and a 3 year old. We need the extra space that will fit all of us comfortably. It's the Spring Hill Suites Airport. Free shuttle from airport to hotel if you are flying. Their Stay and Cruise Package is $129. We will come out cheaper finding our own way to the cruise terminal. We saved $60 not buying that package.

pamelab

Do you plan on driving to jax port? There is a $15 a day charge to park at the pier, so $129 for a cruise pkg at the hotel might be better.

We were going to drive until a couple of nights ago. With the gas being as high as it is and 3 children (3 1/2 - 15 years old) we decided to fork out the money and fly. We're flying Southwest for $1000. I figured with the money we're saving for the 10 hour drive down there and $75 to park, we're really paying about $500 extra. Shuttle to the hotel is free from the airport. We'll have to pay for the shuttle to the cruise terminal though. They said they wouldn't charge for the 3 year old, if I book with them it's $10 per person.

I hope this information helps someone. I called JAX Port (904-355-8294) and they will take you to the airport for about $25 for a van and a few dollars per person over 2. So, for about $30 all 7 people of us (2 families) can ride in the van. We'll also use them to get to the port the morning of the cruise. This is saving us $$$$. We were going to all pay $10 per person for the hotel shuttle! I'll put that extra $$ in my foo foo account!

Pamelab

Pamela you might want to check and see if the cruise parking and shuttle is available without the extra cost of purchasing this type package. A little unknown secret (at times) are the fact hotels still offer the parking and the shuttle for free.

When I booked, my PVP assured me the Serenity area would be done. Nope. I think Fantasy is next, then another ship after that. In fact, I've seen nothing about when we really can expect Fascination to be completed. She will NOT be done any time soon.

I was hoping it would be done when we sail, but I'll just have to go up to the Sun Deck and lay out there, like I always do.

Personally, I think there's plenty to do in Nassau. I've been 3 times and can return many, many more times before I decide I've seen it all and done it all. And I have zero interest in Atlantis, yet still think there's plenty to do!

I have been told all the Fantasy ships will have the Evolutions of Fun by the end of 2009. I personally will believe it when I see it. :rolleyes:

The hotel was going to charge $15 or $18 per person to take us to the ship. I called the shuttle direct and they would do it for $10 if I called the day before and made a reservation through them. We're just going to call the taxi and split it.

Hi,

My .02

We always stay at the Holiday Inn Airport

Duval I think it is.

Close to the port and a great place for the family to stay at.

Regards

Here's a link for my roll call where I posted some pics of the Fascination's 1st sailing out of Jax.... sorry they are a little too big.... it's the first time I've posted pics on CC.... enjoy!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=16351003&posted=1#post16351003

So, rather than booking the cruise package at the Holiday Inn Airport, I could've booked a regular room and just gotten on the shuttle?

That's not how it has worked at other hotels unless they specifically stated that the shuttle to the pier was free (as it was in Ft L).

In Cocoa Beach, you did not get a voucher for the port shuttle unless you booked a cruise package room.

So, I'm confused. If you've actually done this, and can guarantee me that I can cancel my cruise parking package room and rebook with a regular room and still park for free and get a free shuttle, I'll do it.

Per the website:

CRUISE PACKAGE

Jacksonville Cruise Package includes overnight accommodations, 2 roundtrip tickets to the port and free parking while you are on the cruise.

Extra vouchers may be purchased for an extra 15 dollars per person

You must receive your voucher at the time of check-in.

So, sounds to me like I have to have the voucher.

Sorry to drag the thread OT. It's supposed to be about the ship after all. All this other stuff probably belongs on the Florida Departures board.

So, rather than booking the cruise package at the Holiday Inn Airport, I could've booked a regular room and just gotten on the shuttle?

That's not how it has worked at other hotels unless they specifically stated that the shuttle to the pier was free (as it was in Ft L).

In Cocoa Beach, you did not get a voucher for the port shuttle unless you booked a cruise package room.

So, I'm confused. If you've actually done this, and can guarantee me that I can cancel my cruise parking package room and rebook with a regular room and still park for free and get a free shuttle, I'll do it.

Per the website:

CRUISE PACKAGE

Jacksonville Cruise Package includes overnight accommodations, 2 roundtrip tickets to the port and free parking while you are on the cruise.

Extra vouchers may be purchased for an extra 15 dollars per person

You must receive your voucher at the time of check-in.

So, sounds to me like I have to have the voucher.

Sorry to drag the thread OT. It's supposed to be about the ship after all. All this other stuff probably belongs on the Florida Departures board.

A lot of the times the hotels still allow you to park and take the shuttle. I have done this many times at the Radisson in PC and never once paid for the cruise package. They have always allowed us to park, stay and use the free shuttle. I am not saying every hotel allows this just that some do offer the parking and the shuttle whether you book the package or not. What you would need to do is call the individual hotel to see about their policy.:) Some do and some do not. But it is one of those savings thing that is not always put on the websites.

Here's a link for my roll call where I posted some pics of the Fascination's 1st sailing out of Jax.... sorry they are a little too big.... it's the first time I've posted pics on CC.... enjoy!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=16351003&posted=1#post16351003

Awesome pictures, we are neighbors, we are in Fernandina. Great tip for the Dames Point also. We sometimes take the jet skis up that way. We leave on her Thursday.

Archived