$14.95 for STEAK???

Gracie115

Are you serious? The difference between $20.00 (though I think the charge is actually $25.00) and the $15.00 steak is $5.00. I think that if you can afford the stead you can probably afford to go to Chops.

Yep. Look at it this way; if the cover is $25 each, the total cost for a night at Chops is $50 vs $14.95 for steak in the MDR. So it's actually a $35 difference and to some people that might be too much.

I really haven't read the last 50 pages, but maybe people already booked for the two ships in question can make their comments at the end of the cruise!

Can you imagine the aroma of a really good steak while the others at the table just sit there looking at their regular fare? Do you think that would cause some discomfort between the haves (Black Angus) and the have nots (regular steak or other dishes)?

I rarely eat steak, but I think it would be like being in a Mexican restaurant when someone orders fajitas, and they come out sizzling!

Why is it ok to charge $6.95 for a loving cup shooter, or a cappucino, or a coke for a fee, or a cocktail, or wine and beer, but not anything else.

It's not.

I have always been under the impression that the amount that a cruise line makes off of items like this is extraordinary. $2 for a nickels worth of syrup and some carbonated water. While as many lobster tails as you an shovel in your gob are free?

The whole cruise line pricing system is out of whack.

But I digress.

The only reason that items like this are accepted is that no one complained at the time in enough numbers to make the execs rethink the decision. Once they have you accustomed to a charge, the inevitable upward spiral begins, and the number of new items that now have a charge begin to appear.

I have no problem paying for items that have some worth to them, but when cruise passengers have become acclimated to paying shoreside prices for items that cost the line next to nothing is where I draw the line.

So a $15 not a chops, but we say it is on the menu, steak appears we should rightfully get aggrieved that it is not a demand that is being fulfilled but a inroad into acclimating passengers to paying for their meals in the dining room.

Over the last 30 years of cruising I have seen the inexorable slide of the product, where every opportunity is taken to relieve the passenger of as much carry on cash as possible.

For those that state that the cruise price has stayed the same or decreased do not take into account that the cost of running the larger ships is mostly responsible for that pricing structure. Why do you think that these lines do not construct medium size ships, or that these are mostly run by the luxury lines? Because it is far cheaper to cram as many people as possible onto a ship! When I started cruising most of the ships available at the time were converted liners that were built in an age where the cost of fuel was cheap. Now these new ships have ultra economical engines, less staff and far more passengers. In other words economy of scale, that explains the pricing structure.

Cheers,

Peter

I really haven't read the last 50 pages, but maybe people already booked for the two ships in question can make their comments at the end of the cruise!

Can you imagine the aroma of a really good steak while the others at the table just sit there looking at their regular fare? Do you think that would cause some discomfort between the haves (Black Angus) and the have nots (regular steak or other dishes)?

I rarely eat steak, but I think it would be like being in a Mexican restaurant when someone orders fajitas, and they come out sizzling!

I've never tried to gauge the cut of a steak by how it smells. I would say the aroma is more a gauge of how it is prepared and what seasoning is used.

I doubt there will be any more discomfort than some people feel by looking at the clothes or jewelry others wear.

Should we ban fine jewelry from the MDR so that pax that have to wear costume won't get their feelings hurt?

It's not.

I have always been under the impression that the amount that a cruise line makes off of items like this is extraordinary. $2 for a nickels worth of syrup and some carbonated water. While as many lobster tails as you an shovel in your gob are free?

The whole cruise line pricing system is out of whack.

But I digress.

The only reason that items like this are accepted is that no one complained at the time in enough numbers to make the execs rethink the decision. Once they have you accustomed to a charge, the inevitable upward spiral begins, and the number of new items that now have a charge begin to appear.

I have no problem paying for items that have some worth to them, but when cruise passengers have become acclimated to paying shoreside prices for items that cost the line next to nothing is where I draw the line.

So a $15 not a chops, but we say it is on the menu, steak appears we should rightfully get aggrieved that it is not a demand that is being fulfilled but a inroad into acclimating passengers to paying for their meals in the dining room.

Over the last 30 years of cruising I have seen the inexorable slide of the product, where every opportunity is taken to relieve the passenger of as much carry on cash as possible.

For those that state that the cruise price has stayed the same or decreased do not take into account that the cost of running the larger ships is mostly responsible for that pricing structure. Why do you think that these lines do not construct medium size ships, or that these are mostly run by the luxury lines? Because it is far cheaper to cram as many people as possible onto a ship! When I started cruising most of the ships available at the time were converted liners that were built in an age where the cost of fuel was cheap. Now these new ships have ultra economical engines, less staff and far more passengers. In other words economy of scale, that explains the pricing structure.

Cheers,

Peter

Well, it looks to me like the principle is already accepted by the majority of the cruise passengers, and now we are argueing about not accepting soemthing that has been accepted for years. Hey whatever turns the propeller on yours and EFC's beanies, I always say.:D

jc

No I'm not an RCI cheerleader but I do have a question; Why is it that when something new is introduced that people automatically assume the company is trying to alienate it's customers and is just out to make money? Is it possible they are offering this to people that would like a Chops-type meal, but cannot afford the $20 cover charge?

Ok, so, they can't afford a $20 charge but they can afford $15? is that what you're saying??? Is this a joke? where's the camera?!?! Did CC just get punked???

When you pay the fee for an extra charge restaurant you are purchasing a totally different menu, different atmosphere, more leisurely dining, etc. When you fork over $14.95 in the MDR you are eating at your regular table and paying for one item -- no special experience, no other speciality items, no special service, etc.

There is no sense to charge for one menu item and give you nothing else for the extra charge. That is taking away the "speciality" of the dining experience. What pay more if you don't get the whole experience that comes with eating in a speciality restaurant?

If the regular steak on the MDR menu is inferior, remove it altogether and recommend that passengers go to the speciality restaurants if they want to eat steak. But leave extra charge items off the MDR menu. They have a place, but not in the MDR.

MARAPRINCE

When you pay the fee for an extra charge restaurant you are purchasing a totally different menu, different atmosphere, more leisurely dining, etc. When you fork over $14.95 in the MDR you are eating at your regular table and paying for one item -- no special experience, no other speciality items, no special service, etc.

There is no sense to charge for one menu item and give you nothing else for the extra charge. That is taking away the "speciality" of the dining experience. What pay more if you don't get the whole experience that comes with eating in a speciality restaurant?

If the regular steak on the MDR menu is inferior, remove it altogether and recommend that passengers go to the speciality restaurants if they want to eat steak. But leave extra charge items off the MDR menu. They have a place, but not in the MDR.

MARAPRINCE

Very well said. My thoughts exactly.

If it was the case we would have heard it from a lot of other people. He probably got a bill for a drink and he thought it was for the steak.

I just got off the Freedom today and it is indeed true. I asked on Tues if I could have it for free and was told that it is now 14.95, but I could have three other options free.

The next day I complained that other lines were not doing this and then they gave it to me free for one night.

So anyone else notice how the Wall Street collapse really accelerated after RCL began this notoriously awful pay-per-steak fiasco? Just sayin'. :p

Well, let's move onto the more documentable problems with it. So here we go gang, time to examine another salvo of illogic

from the KookAidKommandos.

One of their recent defenses is that RCL started the steak scam to drive a change in passenger demographics. They're saying RCL wants to get away from traditional cruise amenities (and the passengers who are drawn by them) and instead start pushing a more active, health-oriented, sports/activities theme.

So, RCL's apologists argues that the company is de-emphasizing the MDR experience and the quality of "all-inclusive" food in favor of ice skating rinks, boxing rings, basketball courts, FlowRiders, etc. - and that somehow, this pay-extra-for-your-steak deal is part of that strategy.

Gee, boys and girls, the gang at KastleKoolAid really had to stretch for that one, eh?

Because by any logical analysis, that claim is nonsense. Let's see why:

- Does diminishing the MDR product really encourage more sports types to cruise? Of course not. "Get out there - and spend extra $$ with us" isn't going to succeed as an ad campaign. Why would athletic customers - or any other demographic - seek out a cruise line that nickels-and-dimes them? (By the way, telatively health-conscious cruisers are more likely to be MDR diners, and might well choose the regular alternative steak).

- What about the opposite demographic? If RCL is trying to discourage severely obese and out-of-shape cruisers, does it make any sense to attack the MDR quality? Of course not. The strategy instead would be to cut back the Windjammer lineup.

- The ice skating and rock climbing and such is all fine as amusement or novelty, but none of it is seriously about fitness for any significant number of cruisers.

But if RCL genuinely wanted to push an onboard fitness program to really draw big numbers of health-oriented passengers, it would invest more in the serious fitness facilities: The gym and running track.

Reclaim the gym from the Steiner folks; expand the size and bring in more equipment, especially on the older ships; hire 6 or 8 fitness instructors who greet guests with demonstrations of the equipment; conduct six or eight daily Pilates and yoga and spinning classes (maybe half of them no-charge introductory sessions?). Have the deck staff enforce the "no chairs on the running track" rules.

But don't insult us with raw greed masquerading as something else. Maybe the KoolAidKoffeeKlatchers will buy that, but the rest of us know better.:D

End the RCL pay-per-entree scam

Say NO to Fain

Yep. Look at it this way; if the cover is $25 each, the total cost for a night at Chops is $50 vs $14.95 for steak in the MDR. So it's actually a $35 difference and to some people that might be too much.

I assume the $14.95 is per person also, so your accounting makes no sense. One person at Chops pays $25 and one person ordering the steak pays $14.95. The per person difference is $10.05. So it is not a $35 difference. (I understand that you're probably saying that, for example, both people in a couple would dine at Chops; while only one might order the $14.95 steak in the dining room. But we really can't say for sure how large a party is, can we? You could just as easily say that Chops costs $100 for a party of four, so the difference between the $14.95 steak and Chops is $85.05. Makes no sense.)

I agree with others that the $25 at Chops is so much more than just the upscale food choices and invidually prepared items. It's the ambience and experience. In the dining room, you get the steak. Period. In Chops, you get to choose from all kinds of options for all courses of the meal, and you do so in a more intimate and "refined" venue. That $14.95 steak is a no-go for us. If we want Chops, we'll go to Chops. If we eat in the dining room, we'll order included items.

beachchick

[ But if RCL genuinely wanted to push an onboard fitness program to really draw big numbers of health-oriented passengers, it would invest more in the serious fitness facilities: The gym and running track. [/size][/font]

Reclaim the gym from the Steiner folks; expand the size and bring in more equipment, especially on the older ships; hire 6 or 8 fitness instructors who greet guests with demonstrations of the equipment; conduct six or eight daily Pilates and yoga and spinning classes (maybe half of them no-charge introductory sessions?). Have the deck staff enforce the "no chairs on the running track" rules.

They would also add some self service laundries so we could wash our sweaty and dirty clothes after working out.

EHC.............how many of these ships that you keep talking about have you experienced??

quality of "all-inclusive" food in favor of ice skating rinks, boxing rings, basketball courts, FlowRiders, etc.

Some of us don't care to travel on a Freedom Class ship.......even a Voyager Class ship. These ships do not have the amenities that you are referring to.

Some of your post are very entertaining.......but this one is out in left field. I think you mentioned last time that you were in Seattle getting ready to head out on a cruise ship (not RCCL). Maybe the salt air is starting to get to your "rational" thought process.

Or.....are you running out of steam on the $14.95 steak forum??:rolleyes:

Rick

Just read a Freedom review that stated that on the dining room menu if you wanted to order the alternative entree of a steak it now costs $14.95. Is this true? Is it true for all ships? :mad: :eek:

We are just off the Enchantment 4 day and there was nothing on our menus regarding steak for $14.95. I looked for that as I had read on CC that there was a fee, but nothing was mentioned on our menus. I will say that the Steak on the menu was really a nice piece of meat and included....... From one who loves STEAK.

EHC.............how many of these ships that you keep talking about have you experienced??

quality of "all-inclusive" food in favor of ice skating rinks, boxing rings, basketball courts, FlowRiders, etc.

Some of us don't care to travel on a Freedom Class ship.......even a Voyager Class ship. These ships do not have the amenities that you are referring to.

Some of your post are very entertaining.......but this one is out in left field. I think you mentioned last time that you were in Seattle getting ready to head out on a cruise ship (not RCCL). Maybe the salt air is starting to get to your "rational" thought process.

Or.....are you running out of steam on the $14.95 steak forum??:rolleyes:

Rick

Rick, I admire your ability to actual read those unreadable posts, and to discern the lack of rational thoughts. You are one brave man. The only thing I can discern is the newest additions to kool-aid contingent. When a person's primary mode of addressing those that don't agree with them, is to call names, my rational mind shuts off and ignores the rest of the post. I do this to stem the IQ loss the posts have the potential to cause. Think of it as an IQ circuit breaker protection.

jc

Why is this topic still here? I was so happy to see it half way down page 2.

I think like some other topics - this one was gone way past its prime. Or what would be more appropriate for this topic - I think the dead horse has been beat enough.

Please please please - make it go away. No one's mind will be changed by all this gibberish! Like someone else on this page posted - I've not read the past 40+ pages so all your wonderful arguments and explanations and comparisons are for nothing.

Please, please, Moderators - make it go away. It has served its purpose and is now just confusing other posters.

Rick, I admire your ability to actual read those unreadable posts, and to discern the lack of rational thoughts. You are one brave man. The only thing I can discern is the newest additions to kool-aid contingent. When a person's primary mode of addressing those that don't agree with them, is to call names, my rational mind shuts off and ignores the rest of the post. I do this to stem the IQ loss the posts have the potential to cause. Think of it as an IQ circuit breaker protection.

jc

Shoot.............I learned all from you JC!! :D :D

Sometimes it's better to just walk away.........but somehow I keep getting drawn back (dumb me) for another look.

I have to say the EFC has had some very entertaining posts. His post for the new menu was one of the best that I have seen in a long time! I had a hard time keeping my monitor kleen with all of the kool aid kinkiness.

But when someone blames the market crash on RCCL........that's OK......but unfortunately.......it went downhill from there.:rolleyes:

I like your idea of IQ circuit breaker protection!!;) :D

Rick

We are just off the Enchantment 4 day and there was nothing on our menus regarding steak for $14.95. I looked for that as I had read on CC that there was a fee, but nothing was mentioned on our menus. I will say that the Steak on the menu was really a nice piece of meat and included....... From one who loves STEAK.

Very confusing and a lot of soul wrenching rhetoric on this topic.

According to RCCL (and it is posted elsewhere on the site) this is an experiment on 2 ships. They want to try what they called in the press release an "organic" beef to a more diverse group than would be available by serving it in Chops.

There is a good explanation from the Moderators with a poll attached to it to give your opinion of the experiment.

I think like some other topics - this one was gone way past its prime. Or what would be more appropriate for this topic - I think the dead horse has been beat enough.

Please please please - make it go away. No one's mind will be changed by all this gibberish! Like someone else on this page posted - I've not read the past 40+ pages so all your wonderful arguments and explanations and comparisons are for nothing.

Please, please, Moderators - make it go away. It has served its purpose and is now just confusing other posters.

Yet you come in and post. Let people discuss the issue as long as they want to. It bothers you so much that you are here begging the moderators to make it go away so others that want to keeep discussing cant. Why not ignore the thread. When your ready for the discussion to stop, then everyone else is supposed to stop discussing the topic. Wow.

Cuz I didn't post when it went to page 2 hoping it would slip to page 3 and then go away. I also didn't post when it was near the bottom of page 1. My post did not keep it on page 1 any longer than not posting.

If it were a reasonable discussion - but like the moderators posted when another topic went past its prime - it is no longer a discussion, words fail me in trying to describe the topic now. I think maybe it is now - who can get the last post in? What is to discuss? RCCL now claims they are trying out a new concept food in the main dining room of 2 ships to see what regular folks think of it. During the experiment they have removed the regular steak from the menu on one ship and not on the other. Posters have weighed in with all kinds of arguments pro and con but who has changed their mind during all the ranting and raving? Short of writing a letter to RCCL what is discussed here is pretty meaningless and is pretty much for entertainment value. Especially with some of the wilder accusations and remonstrations by a select few.

The topic adds nothing to the discussion of the merits or demerits of RCCL due to the tone many posters have taken and has caused confusion in some posters.

:p

I just don't get why people who want a thread to disappear keep reading and posting to it. It is here for those who want to read it and for those who never want to see it again the solution is real simple.......;)

Archived