$14.95 for STEAK???

Gracie115

Wonder how many people have written to RCI to complain in addition to grousing on this board? When I don't like something, I tell the people who can (whether they will or not) do something about it.

I like the discussions on these boards, but this is something you should act on with the powers that be if you really don't like it.

Unfortunately, where you are wrong here is in thinking that the Executive Chef onboard has ANYTHING to do with choosing suppliers, products, or even menu creation... that's done at the top by a a fellow who sits in an office all day...

And I can't blame RCI for the choices they have made with regards to food quality lately... not with the amount of waste they are dealing with... Waste = money down the toilet or, quite literally - out to sea.... It's simply not cost-effective to continue to provide ultra-high quality food just so Joe Schmoe from Kokomo can "try" 3 entrees one night and barely eat 1/4 of what is placed in front of him...

"Lobster" was served our last night onboard last week and our waiter was literally pushing extra tails on us... brought out a plate of extras at the mere mention from someone wanting another one... Why??? Because otherwise, those tails were going to be thrown out... Granted, not quality tails by any means, but tails none the less... and tails cost $$$ - even the lesser quality, frozen variety...

The reality is that there are many who cruise who don't know the difference between high quality food and something that just sounds fancy and "exotic"... In a lot of cases, many who cruise don't have the opportunity to try "escargot" in their day-to-day lives... cruising allows them to do that, even if it isn't the best escargot available or prepared in the best possible way... the point is, they get to go home and say they tried something...

Those who do long for higher quality food have the option of specialty dining and will pay for it, once in a while...

Those who are truly into the food will adjust their budgets to afford a line that DOES provide a higher quality food product... but as RC caters more and more to families, it's just not about the food anymore...

If it is about the food for you, you have options... pay extra for specialty dining or pay extra to cruise on a line that caters to your gourmet tastes...

Hi Amy..........I agree with you 100% (almost LOL!) When you say it's just not about the food anymore.........my point would be I don't think it has ever been about the food......at least in the last couple of years. I think what gets many of us, is that if you have cruised RC for any period of time, (and I mean 20 years ago).......food was part of the cruise experience. Many post here that weren't on a cruise 20 years ago and have no idea just how high quality the food was. Of course there was no flowrider.......so dinner WAS an event.

Exactly, Catnip.

It is easy to see why RCL's fatcat execs would love anything that brings in more revenue, regardless of how it affects passengers. After all, there's no reason in the world for them to care even remotely whether the customers enjoy their cruise ... just so long as the $$ keeps coming in. These are businessmen. Sadly, this current bunch appears to be the most ruthless and greed-minded of them all, but we're not going to change that.

What's incomprehensible is why supposedly rational and adult consumers would transform themselves into sheep and line up cheerfully for this fleecing. I've never had a problem spending money on vacations (as Diners Club would cheerfully verify), but I detest being scammed and cheated. And that's precisely what RCL is doing here - a long-term bait and switch.

The upscale restaurants onboard were, in fact, never about providing "more choices." Obviously, they were exclusively a business decision - and a direct revenue-based decision at that.

More importantly, they were also a way for RCL to skim more $$ from its food budgets. Consider a ship of 2,500 on a seven-day cruise - where 5 percent of the passengers dine at Chops or Portofinos on each night. That's 125 meals a night, or 875 during the course of the entire cruise.

The obvious $$-maker for RCL comes from charging those 875 people for dining upgrades. But the hidden savings is the 875 worth of food saved from the regular dining room's expenses -- 875 orders of fish, veal, chicken, etc. throughout the cruise. Does anyone really believe that money got plowed back into the dining room budget to upgrade the quality of food for the remaining passengers? Not a chance. That money made its way to the bottom line, with a share off the top for the suits on Caribbean Way who hatched this whole scheme.

And the REALLY hidden thievery of this scam is in the ever-worsening downward pressure on the main dining room budget.

Put yourself in the shoes of the RCL execs: You're making $$ at Chops and Portofinos, but the dining room meals are pure expense. So every greed-based incentive is going to drive you to steadily hack away at the executive chef's budget for the dining room ... because you figure hey, the upscale customers can pony up $$ for the specialty restaurants, and the rest of them can shut up & make do with dirt-cheap pasta or vegetarian offerings.

In fact, if you rip away a couple more bucks from the nightly per-pax allotment that the executive chef gets, you'll gradually force him or her to select shoddier suppliers, reduce portions or start loading up the menu with high-carb, low-cost buffet stuff masquerading as quality entrees. (I've got nothing against pasta or chicken, but there's a REASON you see more of this stuff on 2008 menus than we used to see in 2000. ) That's going to drive MORE business to the specialty restaurants. (Or, if you're RCL-level devious, you bring Chops into the dining room ... starting with the $15 steak)

The next move is to rig the main dinner menu to combine lots of cheapo entrees on the same night ... so three or even four offerings are low-cost fillers.

Meanwhile, the chef consolidates the more expensive and popular upscale entrees (sea bass, veal, scallops, lobster, prime rib, etc.) on fewer nights. So passengers see the same fancy names on the menu, but they'll get to order only a couple ... the rest of the nights, you're steering them toward the cheap stuff.

So in reality, the very creation of Chops and Portofinos was the start of the erosion of the dining room experience ... and what looks like a long-term plan to charge everything ala carte.

Now in gentler times with a more generous and customer-oriented executive corps, perhaps the specialty restaurants would have really been about new choices - but in this market with RCL's current exec lineup, it's simple scamming.

And note that all of this amounts to a hidden attack on value. By cutting out what they give you in exchange for your fare, RCL in effect RAISES your fare - at least in terms of value.

That becomes clear when you play this out ... as the Kool Aid Krowd says: "Just order the cheaper stuff."

Well, someday when all that's left on the traditional no-charge dining room menu is Spaghetti ala Mariner, Ziti Milano with a garnish of garlic, or Chef's Supreme Cabbage Rolls, then you'll realize you might as well have stayed home and eaten at Denny's.

That's the direction this is going in, and the current thread is an excellent indication of who is wise enough to catch on BEFORE RCL wields the hammer ... and who needs to wait for the actual RCL smack before waking up.

I always thought the food in the MDR was average and being in the food business I understand when cooking for vast amount of people quality suffers. One of the many reason I have enjoyed cruises on RCL is that there were other options then just the dining room where you can get a better quality product because the specialty restaurants are smaller and they are cooking your dinner when you order it oppose to the food being done ahead of time sitting in a steam table. There is a difference cooking for thousands of people oppose to 50. And it is a way for the cruise companies to get you to part with your $$$ but I do consider it a value that I do not mind paying for. I was hesitant before our first RCL cruise about the food in the MDR from what I read. I was glad to have those options available even if it was a paying one.

You have every right to voice your opinion and I respect that but you seem to be on this boycott to shake RCL up and you know it will not change anything. I am sure there are many who do not use the pay restaurants, don't buy cocktails or smuggle them on. It is your choice not to venture into any of the specialty restaurants, lounges etc.

RCL is a business to make money and they will look at every opportunity to increase their top and bottom line like any other company. It is all about the bottom line. The cost of food has rose 6% over the last year or haven't you notice what things now cost compared to a year ago. Has RCL altered their menus to reflect this you bet they have it is either that or raise prices and if you ask anyone here if they will pay more for better quality meals in the MDR I bet you will have most saying no. People complain about the food quality but when it comes to raising prices in the cruise fare which is what they will have to do that is a line they will not cross.

It is a trend of things to come I could not agree with you more. I always felt when cruising stops being a value to me I will no longer cruise. I still consider it a value as of now. It is not a plot or a scam it is just business I seriously doubt if people will stop cruising RCL because of the surcharges. The demographics of the person who cruises today is very different then years ago and that is the market RCL is courting.

I am always amused when I see a commercial for RCL on TV because it deals with the get out there and this is more then a vacation. I have never seen RCL tout their food it is always about the activities and families. I do not fit into that demographics but I do enjoy the on board experience that RCL offers. I am on vacation and plan to have a great time if I did not like the way RCL runs their business then I would take my business elsewhere.

I respect what you have to say and agree with some of your points but I disagree with you that it is a scam it is just business and like any other company out there they are in it to make money and offer their customer a good experience and overall they do that in my opinion.

I am not really that much of a steak lover. If some people are going to be upset that they removed a 3rd rate steak, and replaced it with one you pay for, so what.

My point is people have been asking for better food in the DR and have also expressed a willingness to pay for it, Most have alsways stated, raise the fares. Why raise fares when not everyone wants it. Give people a choice!! If this is a start of something, then so be it.

The industry is going to keep changing, for better, or worse, it just depends who you are, and your preferences.

There also a choice of cruise lines one can go on as well, if they don't like how one or another is run.

Very well said! Some people are getting what they asked for and then complain about it.

I think it should be made clearer in the advertising and promotions of the cruises that these changes are being made. Only a small percentage of people going on a cruise read these posts so they would not know about the changes.

That is very true. I know a lot of CC loyalists think that this board is the cruise mecca and that everyone even thinking about cruising would, of course, come here first. :rolleyes:

That is simply not true. People can and do cruise without even having heard of CC. On all of my last 4-5 cruises, I ask other cruisers I meet, are you with CC, or do you read CC? 4 out of 5 people I ask look at me blankly and have never heard of CC.

So, unless the cruise line start advertising the fact (fat chance of that happening) of all the pay extra items, a lot of the cruisers are not going to have any idea about the growing number of "pay-extra" menu items, and will get a mighty big surprise at the end of their cruise.

So I guess if RCI had told you a year ago that next year they would not be serving the little crappy steak on the alternative menu, you would not have booked, or you would have cancelled before the final payment was due had you known??

I'm not saying I would have cancelled my next cruise because it isn't just about me and my family. There are others involved. However if it had been just us, you bet cancellation would have been considered but until you're faced with that decision, you can't say what you'd do. After this, I have no plans to sail RCI again until the dust settles and even then probably not. The issue of trust is now in play and they've lost mine.

2P.P1

So I guess if RCI had told you a year ago that next year they would not be serving the little crappy steak on the alternative menu, you would not have booked, or you would have cancelled before the final payment was due had you known??

Well, if this is the first indication that RC is going to evolve into another NCL, where you are nickel and dimed to death over food, then RC would change from my preferred line, to my NCL catagory - i.e. "last resort".

And just what does this have to do with the definition of "sneaky" - which was the issue I was posting to. :confused: :rolleyes:

It is shown that RCI's actions were indeed sneaky and so now you try to change the issue (to whether their being sneaky would change my actions). Are you a politician by any chance? :rolleyes:

Your opinion is shared by probably more than you think, including me, however there are plenty who also do not share it. If RCI raised the fares to include all the gourmet food of yesteryear, then there would be many who would not cruise, due to not being able to afford it. The system of letting the pax choose what to spend their $$ on is just fine. If I want to spend an extra $50 a day on food, then it is my choice, not RCI's.

Unfortunately for some, this is the future of the mass market lines. If someone wants to go back 20yrs, then choose a line that caters to it.

But the fact is that there is not a "system of letting pax choose what to spend their $$ on". I don't have a choice of not paying for the ice skating ring. I don't have the choice of not paying for the shows. I don't have the choice of not paying to use the rock climbing wall. I don't have the choice of not paying to use the putt-putt green. It is all built into my "total vacation price" But now suddenly food is not part of that total cruise price?........

If the cruise lines want an ala carte product. Fine. But then offer ala cart. Don't just offer a scaled down dining experience and expect me to pay more if I want the quality that used to be standard.........

[quote=Tranquil Waters;16113217

If the cruise lines want an ala carte product. Fine. But then offer ala cart. Don't just offer a scaled down dining experience and expect me to pay more if I want the quality that used to be standard.........

Exactly the point!!

Thanks much but trust me, it takes a lot more than the Kool Aid Krowd (luv the label!) to ruffle my feathers. I actually find them quite amusing and I'm used to reading posts from the same kind of defenders of the realm over on the Celebrity board. Truth be told, I've been known to poke and prod a bit for my own enjoyment once they expose their insecurities. They can be downright combative and insulting in defense of their favorite cruise line, but they're awfully hard to resist once they get going. Ever notice how the little darlings quietly slip away without a word once they've been proven wrong?

You have got to be kidding. I can't imagine spending my time like this, looking to annoy others. I'm hoing for your own sake you find another hobby, one less stressful since I cannot imagine this being fun or satisfying.

I can't even believe I'm even reading this whole thread, it's giving me a headache to read how stressed out people get about things. Especially because I don't eat steak ;) .

The solution is so simple....don't order anything you don't want to pay for. I have to agree with others here that have stated if enough people don't pay for it, the option will disappear from the menu.

Over all the years I've been reading CC, people always get their britches in a wad about new changes, then it all settles down. This issue will as well.

We've only been cruising for 10 years and even 10 years ago there was no "free" soda, there was a charge for it. Absolutely nothing is "free" on a cruise, the food and lemonade/iced tea etc... you have already paid for in your fare.

The first time we went to a specialty restaurant was in 2002 on NCL and people then predicted it would fail. Not only has it not failed, but other main stream cruise lines have followed their lead. They also instituted the auto-tip and there was an unbelievable uproar over that, now it is quite normal.

Since vacations are a choice by the individual, anyone can choose to not cruise if they disagree with the changes. But...the last time we stayed in a hotel, we were charged a parking fee, a resort fee and an unbelievable amount for room service coffee in the morning. It was an extra $35 in fees that we had no choice over, nor were we informed of it before we arrived. I'll take cruising any day and on pretty much any line, not just RCI.

I find it interesting to read the grumbles about specialty dining or "paying" for better food...

Especially considering that this is a feature on ALL of the mainstream lines now... Carnival, HAL, Norwegian, Celebrity, Princess...

Some may say that the MDR dining on those other lines is better than what RC is offering in their MDR... and that may be the case and if so, there are your options!

But tell me something... When the quality of food being served in the MDR doesn't meet your expectations on those other lines... then where will you go???

the fact (fat chance of that happening) of all the pay extra items, a lot of the cruisers are not going to have any idea about the growing number of "pay-extra" menu items, and will get a mighty big surprise at the end of their cruise.

Why at the end of the cruise? If they are charging me, I know before I sign my name. I don't drink, but if I were a drinker and ordered a drink that I thought was free and they handed me a slip to sign, I would say, "No thanks. I thought there was no charge."

As everyone agrees, it is CLEARLY stated on the menu that there is an extra charge for this particular item.

You have got to be kidding. I can't imagine spending my time like this, looking to annoy others. I'm hoing for your own sake you find another hobby, one less stressful since I cannot imagine this being fun or satisfying.

I can't even believe I'm even reading this whole thread, it's giving me a headache to read how stressed out people get about things. Especially because I don't eat steak ;) .

The solution is so simple....don't order anything you don't want to pay for. I have to agree with others here that have stated if enough people don't pay for it, the option will disappear from the menu.

Over all the years I've been reading CC, people always get their britches in a wad about new changes, then it all settles down. This issue will as well.

We've only been cruising for 10 years and even 10 years ago there was no "free" soda, there was a charge for it. Absolutely nothing is "free" on a cruise, the food and lemonade/iced tea etc... you have already paid for in your fare.

The first time we went to a specialty restaurant was in 2002 on NCL and people then predicted it would fail. Not only has it not failed, but other main stream cruise lines have followed their lead. They also instituted the auto-tip and there was an unbelievable uproar over that, now it is quite normal.

Since vacations are a choice by the individual, anyone can choose to not cruise if they disagree with the changes. But...the last time we stayed in a hotel, we were charged a parking fee, a resort fee and an unbelievable amount for room service coffee in the morning. It was an extra $35 in fees that we had no choice over, nor were we informed of it before we arrived. I'll take cruising any day and on pretty much any line, not just RCI.

Boy! The "suits" at RCI sure saw you coming. Charge them more, give them less, they will cheer for us anyway. Snicker, snicker......

In my opinion, if they need to charge for something, maybe have a charge for a second entree. I think that might cut down on waste and more people would understand than removing "free" steak from the menu.

Ya'll better be careful with your complaining. You've still got several choices.

1. Eat what's offered on the menu at no extra charge.:p

2. Order the Strip steak and pay the extra $$:mad:

3. Go to one of the specialty restaurants and pay extra $$.:rolleyes:

If you complain to much, it could summon the return of the infamous Royal Ranch Steak! :eek:

Aubie

Proud member of the Noots.

You actually get it. Many on this thread do not.

People have been complaining about the food for how long, how it has gone downhill, etc. Most have said they would gladly pay more $$ for better food. Now here is the possible start of a trend that will give you the best of both worlds, however some are not satisfied. Gee, a choice whether to pay for better food or not. What a concept. I guess people would just rather have RCI charge a bunch more up front, and tell you what to eat. I guess it would be just terrible to see Maine Lobster, some nice fish, jumbo shrimp, steaks,etc etc. for an additional price. Bring on more choices.

Thanks.

I got a feeling I know the long-term answer to this question and now I just saw Don's post to confirm it, well what a surprise. Honestly to me it is looking more and more like Cunard had the right idea and saw the future even though I thought it was crazy at one time. To me RCCL is headed rapidly to the different classes of dinning and paying more for them. This is the way to slowly work the system in and then suddenly down the road, it will happen. Food has gone downhill so fast in recent years in the DR that I almost wish they would just do it and have opportunity to have great meals in the DR the way you could in the 80's without having to go to Alternative places on the ship. This is just my opinion and I am sure it isn't shared by many.

I am not really that much of a steak lover. If some people are going to be upset that they removed a 3rd rate steak, and replaced it with one you pay for, so what.

My point is people have been asking for better food in the DR and have also expressed a willingness to pay for it, Most have alsways stated, raise the fares. Why raise fares when not everyone wants it. Give people a choice!! If this is a start of something, then so be it.

The industry is going to keep changing, for better, or worse, it just depends who you are, and your preferences.

There also a choice of cruise lines one can go on as well, if they don't like how one or another is run.

I have no clue as to your soft drink question. I don't drink it anyway.

Yes, food quality has deteriorated terribly in recent years. The food quality and food choices have gone downhill. I love steak but thought the alternative one was disgusting most of the time I ordered it. I am not a picky eater but had difficulty with the choices on our latest cruise this summer. We are glad to pay more for better quality food …..as a “choice”, as an “upfront upgrade fee” , or as “higher fare”. I agree that giving it as an “option” rather than mandatory w/ higher fare would be beneficial many cruisers.

I don't like what I'm hearing. I'm scheduled to go on the Freedom in October 2009 with my mother, and while we are both seasoned cruisers, this is our first cruise with RCCL. She is very picky and usually orders the alternative steak offered on most cruises that we've been on at least 4 of the 7 nights. If she sees that this is going to cost $15 each time, she is not going to be a happy camper.

I know this sounds petty, but we may have to reconsider a cruiseline that is doing this and instead go back to Holland America or Celebrity.

I have never sailed HAL or X. However, based upon what I have heard from friends and read on CC about the food on those lines and with my personal experiences of the declining quality of food on RC, I think you truly might want to consider cancelling the RC trip. We love RC for the overall experience, but the recent quality/options of food does lower the overall experience. If your Mother is a picky eater, I do not think she would be happy with the alternate steak that was previously offered nightly (or probably any of the dining room food). I am NOT a picky eater but I was rarely pleased with the alternative steak on the occasions I ordered it. I don’t mean this ugly at all, but I do think if you are looking for the quality of food you are accustomed to on X and HAL, you will be very disappointed.

Exactly, Catnip.

It is easy to see why RCL's fatcat execs would love anything that brings in more revenue, regardless of how it affects passengers. After all, there's no reason in the world for them to care even remotely whether the customers enjoy their cruise ... just so long as the $$ keeps coming in. These are businessmen. Sadly, this current bunch appears to be the most ruthless and greed-minded of them all, but we're not going to change that.

OMG….I don’t know how this could be. For a 7 night cruise we have booked for Dec we are paying less $ than what we paid 25 years ago and are in a higher category stateroom.

What's incomprehensible is why supposedly rational and adult consumers would transform themselves into sheep and line up cheerfully for this fleecing. I've never had a problem spending money on vacations (as Diners Club would cheerfully verify), but I detest being scammed and cheated. And that's precisely what RCL is doing here - a long-term bait and switch.

How on earth can this be a bait and switch? First off, the fine print in the cruise contract pretty much says they can change anything at any time for any reason. The cruise in review videos we show friends of previous cruises show the midnight buffet, horseracing by the pool, etc. Are our friends going to think we did a bait and switch on them when they get onboard and find out there is no longer a midnight buffet or no longer horseracing by the pool? I have eaten escargot and key lime pie on the last gazillion cruises, but if I go onboard expecting to eat it and it is no longer available am I going to consider them as being sneaky? Why pay for an alcoholic drink by the pool when I can get up out of my pool chair and walk into WJ and get a glass of lemonade? Maybe, because at that particular moment I would prefer a Pina Colada and am willing to pay for it.

The upscale restaurants onboard were, in fact, never about providing "more choices." Obviously, they were exclusively a business decision - and a direct revenue-based decision at that.

I believe that is why the cruise line is a “for profit” business.

More importantly, they were also a way for RCL to skim more $$ from its food budgets. Consider a ship of 2,500 on a seven-day cruise - where 5 percent of the passengers dine at Chops or Portofinos on each night. That's 125 meals a night, or 875 during the course of the entire cruise.

The obvious $$-maker for RCL comes from charging those 875 people for dining upgrades. But the hidden savings is the 875 worth of food saved from the regular dining room's expenses -- 875 orders of fish, veal, chicken, etc. throughout the cruise. Does anyone really believe that money got plowed back into the dining room budget to upgrade the quality of food for the remaining passengers? Not a chance. That money made its way to the bottom line, with a share off the top for the suits on Caribbean Way who hatched this whole scheme.

And the REALLY hidden thievery of this scam is in the ever-worsening downward pressure on the main dining room budget.

Put yourself in the shoes of the RCL execs: You're making $$ at Chops and Portofinos, but the dining room meals are pure expense. So every greed-based incentive is going to drive you to steadily hack away at the executive chef's budget for the dining room ... because you figure hey, the upscale customers can pony up $$ for the specialty restaurants, and the rest of them can shut up & make do with dirt-cheap pasta or vegetarian offerings.

In fact, if you rip away a couple more bucks from the nightly per-pax allotment that the executive chef gets, you'll gradually force him or her to select shoddier suppliers, reduce portions or start loading up the menu with high-carb, low-cost buffet stuff masquerading as quality entrees. (I've got nothing against pasta or chicken, but there's a REASON you see more of this stuff on 2008 menus than we used to see in 2000. ) That's going to drive MORE business to the specialty restaurants. (Or, if you're RCL-level devious, you bring Chops into the dining room ... starting with the $15 steak)

The next move is to rig the main dinner menu to combine lots of cheapo entrees on the same night ... so three or even four offerings are low-cost fillers.

Meanwhile, the chef consolidates the more expensive and popular upscale entrees (sea bass, veal, scallops, lobster, prime rib, etc.) on fewer nights. So passengers see the same fancy names on the menu, but they'll get to order only a couple ... the rest of the nights, you're steering them toward the cheap stuff.

So in reality, the very creation of Chops and Portofinos was the start of the erosion of the dining room experience ... and what looks like a long-term plan to charge everything ala carte.

Now in gentler times with a more generous and customer-oriented executive corps, perhaps the specialty restaurants would have really been about new choices - but in this market with RCL's current exec lineup, it's simple scamming.

And note that all of this amounts to a hidden attack on value. By cutting out what they give you in exchange for your fare, RCL in effect RAISES your fare - at least in terms of value.

That becomes clear when you play this out ... as the Kool Aid Krowd says: "Just order the cheaper stuff."

Well, someday when all that's left on the traditional no-charge dining room menu is Spaghetti ala Mariner, Ziti Milano with a garnish of garlic, or Chef's Supreme Cabbage Rolls, then you'll realize you might as well have stayed home and eaten at Denny's.

That's the direction this is going in, and the current thread is an excellent indication of who is wise enough to catch on BEFORE RCL wields the hammer ... and who needs to wait for the actual RCL smack before waking up.

Actually, I agree in part with this last part. I do not believe it to be a scam or $ in the pockets of the executives however. I believe it is a result of the times and the economy. On our most recent cruise, the food was horrendous. It was so bad, I told Mr. Ski to either cancel all future cruises or be willing to give up his insistence on MDR attendance. I told him his options were either cancel the cruises or go to Chops/Portofinos. If this new option is available, I will reconsider. The food options and quality were horrible on our most recent cruise. The menus had already been combined as you mentioned above into “all low cost” or “all high cost” on the same night. Food waste was up as the quality was down. People (including me) would order food and then it would be wasted because it was not good. Never in my life had I previously gone to the dining room and only ordered a baked potato for dinner. Absolutely nothing on the menu appealed to me. There was not an option to pay $14.95 for a steak (or anything else). I would have gladly paid it that evening. I felt very bad because the waiter was in distress because I wouldn’t order an entrée. As I have stated here several times, I am NOT a picky eater at all! But the quality and choices on the last voyage left much to be desired. I welcome the chance to actually have options. When I go to McDonald’s I can choose whether to just buy the Quarter Pounder or whether to pay more and get the combo meal. While I would much prefer just to pay one “upgrade fee” upfront and have upgraded menus/quality/options each night, If there was an upgrade food option, then folks could choose where to spend their $. If they had $900 to spend, they could decide whether they preferred a balcony room at $900 with “regular food” or an inside room costing $700 plus $200 upgraded food (spending the same $900). I am perfectly pleased to see them trying to work through the economic times we are dealing with these days. I think offering this $14.95 option is a great method still allowing folks from various walks of life to cruise.

And just what does this have to do with the definition of "sneaky" - which was the issue I was posting to. :confused: :rolleyes:

It is shown that RCI's actions were indeed sneaky and so now you try to change the issue (to whether their being sneaky would change my actions). Are you a politician by any chance? :rolleyes:

Would it make a difference?

Okay...just my opinion here.

RCL no longer offers any type of speciality buffets while other lines still do. RCL no longer provides any food after dinner except in the Promande Cafe which while tasty, has a very limited menu and very limited seating. Yet their ships have been getting larger and larger. The size of the speciality (additional charge) venues is also small. Their cabin size is smaller than most other lines. Even most of their JS cannot hold a 3 or 4 person. When a 3 or 4 person is added, the price for the first 2 passengers zooms up making it cheaper to take a second cabin. Who realistically wants to sleep in a pullman that hangs over the beds on the floor in a balcony cabin? Now they start to charge for items in the main dining room.

No toiletries are provided even at the balacony cabin level. Supposedly the extras like the flow rider, the ice show, etc. are "free" and included in the cruise price. Ports are being dropped in favor of more sea days to bring in additional on-board revenue with a captive audience. Tour prices have risen accordingly along with cabin pricing and fuel surcharges. Everything is being passed along to the passengers and that is still not enough revenue for them. Seems like some financial problems are on the horizon, or could it be they promised their stockholders a certain dividend that the rest of the passengers have to pay for to make it possible?

No one asked RCL to build a ship like the Oasis. They made that decision. Passengers have complained about a decline in the quality of the food and other noticeable cuts. RCL's response is to add an extra pay item to the dining room menu? Seems an odd response. Extra charge items do not belong in the main dining room -- that is why there are speciality restuarants. If you want a higher level Italian style experience, pay and go to Portofino's. Same goes for steak, pay and go to Chop's. What else will RCL add to the regular dining menu and expect the passengers to pay extra for?

MARAPRINCE

But the fact is that there is not a "system of letting pax choose what to spend their $$ on". I don't have a choice of not paying for the ice skating ring. I don't have the choice of not paying for the shows. I don't have the choice of not paying to use the rock climbing wall. I don't have the choice of not paying to use the putt-putt green. It is all built into my "total vacation price" But now suddenly food is not part of that total cruise price?........

I guess by your comments, it is obvious you don't like RCI. Why cruise on them then??

It is also obvious you have no business sense either. In order for RCI or other cruise lines to go back 20yrs the prices would have to go up dramatically, and quite frankly it would price a lot of people out of the market. That certainly would not be good, and the cruise lines know it.

Do you have some magical solution to lower food prices about 300%, and that is conservative for most items.

If you want to go the the standards of old, then look elsewhere, as you won't be seeing them on the mass market lines. There are plenty of other upscale lines you can give your money to.

People need to stop living in the past and understand that nothing stays the same forever.

In my opinion, if they need to charge for something, maybe have a charge for a second entree. I think that might cut down on waste and more people would understand than removing "free" steak from the menu.

I do think this is a better option.

Dakota tribal wisdom says that when you discover you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount. However, in cruise critic we often try other strategies with dead horses, including the following:

1. Buying a stronger whip.

2. Changing riders.

3. Say things like, "This is the way we have always ridden this horse."

4. Appointing a committee to study the horse.

5. Arranging to visit other sites to see how they ride dead horses.

6. Increasing the standards to ride dead horses.

7. Appointing a tiger team to revive the dead horse.

8. Creating a training session to increase our riding ability.

9. Comparing the state of dead horses in todays environment.

10. Change the requirements declaring that "This horse is not dead."

11. Hire contractors to ride the dead horse.

12. Harnessing several dead horses together for increased speed.

13. Declaring that "No horse is too dead to beat."

14. Providing additional funding to increase the horse's performance.

15. Do a Cost Analysis study to see if contractors can ride it cheaper.

16. Purchase a product to make dead horses run faster.

17. Declare the horse is "better, faster and cheaper" dead.

18. Form a quality circle to find uses for dead horses.

19. Revisit the performance requirements for horses.

20. Say this horse was procured with cost as an independent variable.

21. Promote the dead horse to a supervisory position.

Dakota tribal wisdom says that when you discover you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount. However, in cruise critic we often try other strategies with dead horses, including the following:

1. Buying a stronger whip.

2. Changing riders.

3. Say things like, "This is the way we have always ridden this horse."

4. Appointing a committee to study the horse.

5. Arranging to visit other sites to see how they ride dead horses.

6. Increasing the standards to ride dead horses.

7. Appointing a tiger team to revive the dead horse.

8. Creating a training session to increase our riding ability.

9. Comparing the state of dead horses in todays environment.

10. Change the requirements declaring that "This horse is not dead."

11. Hire contractors to ride the dead horse.

12. Harnessing several dead horses together for increased speed.

13. Declaring that "No horse is too dead to beat."

14. Providing additional funding to increase the horse's performance.

15. Do a Cost Analysis study to see if contractors can ride it cheaper.

16. Purchase a product to make dead horses run faster.

17. Declare the horse is "better, faster and cheaper" dead.

18. Form a quality circle to find uses for dead horses.

19. Revisit the performance requirements for horses.

20. Say this horse was procured with cost as an independent variable.

21. Promote the dead horse to a supervisory position.

LOL. I, personally, am done. :D

Archived