Your 1A Stateroom Guide (Everything 1A)

ebandive

Well, I suppose if it's rough, there will be motion aft, but I know that on a smaller boat, there is much more up & down motion in the bow. They are NOT like a see-saw, which is the analogy a lot of people use. OK, maybe somewhat, but the fulcrum wouldn't be in the center. If the motion were equal fore and aft, then the ship would never make any headway!!

I dont think that has anything to do with a ship making headway. We moved to 6393 instead of a port hole because of the convenience, mid ship, my sister has mobility issues. I would rather pick a port hole and I walk when I can, but when Im with her, we do elevators anyway... so any steps saved are good to us. I know we both eat more on a cruise usually too. Convenience is a plus to me, but not to everyone. sorry.

btw when I said the floor vibrated .... it was pretty much all the time on Conquest, not just when you would think the trusters would be engaged, just worse then. Not a noise per se, just something you could feel thru the floor of the cabin. I dont think any of those cabins you have to worry about noise..Iv been back there several times now on both sides of the ship.

Edited by firefly333

2201 is now open, and it looks like it is huge, based on the deck plan (but no porthole, right?) . . .

I was looking at 2201 for a future cruise and was wondering if the convertible sofa could be added to the single bed. I would give up a porthole for a larger bed.

I, too, agree they (2201/2202) look like really nice size cabins on the deck plans, and I was certainly curious what they looked like (despite not planning on booking either), and I have to admit I was more than a wee bit stunned when I got to check one out.

Took a sneak peek inside, between my B2B, and let out a gasp, as well as a personal Ewwww!. . .Like all cabin on the deck plans, the bathroom and closet space is not indicated on the diagram. For 2201/2202 the closet is smack dab in the center, and because of the placement of the bathroom, a small narrow nook is created for the bed that would never do for me. I'd have to ask the steward to make up the sofa each night and use that.

To answer the other question, there would be no way to have the two put together, and they are also of different heights to begin with.

2486913220103861232S600x600Q85.jpg

I hope this helps in even a small way. :)

Very strange. For someone who is sometimes claustrophobic, I might actually like the bed in that "hole" in the wall, though. My claustrophobia kicks in when I'm stuck in a mass of non-moving people. Small, dark spaces dont bother me much.

I was thinking it might be like R7 on Holiday. My first cruise was R7 on Jubilee, and it was huge! Had upper/lower like regular 1A. Bunk was against the hallway wall, floor bed was 90 degrees, against the forward wall (left when you walked in). Bathroom was opposite the hallway, closet and desk to your right when you walked in. It was enormous.

Unfortunately, poor little Jubilee encountered 14' seas for most of the trip. Had the upper decks closed off most of the time. I never quite got sick, but I was fairly green most of the cruise. And that ferry from Playa del Carmen back to Coz! :eek:

Of course, I never missed a meal, though. :D

Anyway, I'm rambling. I'm sure I'll be fine in 1402 for 2 nights. I'll take pics and post them when I get back.

I, too, agree they (2201/2202) look like really nice size cabins on the deck plans, and I was certainly curious what they looked like (despite not planning on booking either), and I have to admit I was more than a wee bit stunned when I got to check one out.

Took a sneak peek inside, between my B2B, and let out a gasp, as well as a personal Ewwww!. . .Like all cabin on the deck plans, the bathroom and closet space is not indicated on the diagram. For 2201/2202 the closet is smack dab in the center, and because of the placement of the bathroom, a small narrow nook is created for the bed that would never do for me. I'd have to ask the steward to make up the sofa each night and use that.

To answer the other question, there would be no way to have the two put together, and they are also of different heights to begin with.

2486913220103861232S600x600Q85.jpg

I hope this helps in even a small way. :)

Thanks. This helps greatly in decision making for a future cruise - I think I would rather be in one of the aft cabins on Riviera deck.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been searching all morning and can't find a conclusive answers.

Does anyone know if 2207 on Carnival Glory is a twin/sofa bed or twin/bunk bed?

Thanks so much!!

According to the Cabin Descriptions, it has a twin bed and a sofa bed, but no porthole.

http://www.bookccl.com/irman/bookccl/the_fleet/glory/glory.htm

I've been searching all morning and can't find a conclusive answers.

Does anyone know if 2207 on Carnival Glory is a twin/sofa bed or twin/bunk bed?

Thanks so much!!

Iv only been on Conquest, but I am willing to bet Glory has a twin and convertible sofa where the pillows come off the back of the sofa to sleep on.

Just wondering if you were able to actually move the bed - could you have moved it 'under' the 'window' area - eg. with the headboard under the upper bunk and feet towards the tv -so that you could watch tv better? Or was that not possible? (or no better?)...

That's how U178 was on Inspiration.

I booked a 1A room #1404 on Dream sailing in about 3 mos...my hubby and I are fine with upper/lower or two twins...just do not want the weird cubbyhole bed though.

Last cruise I was on the legend same level middle of the ship in a 6a and it was plenty big enough for my daughter and I. I am actually looking forward (I think!) to upper/lower berths since I kick in my sleep anyway. Does anyone know if in this location there is an off chance of getting a sofa that doesn't convert ? Because they know two people are booked in the room so I am assuming they would not do that.

Also, being by the elevator closer to the aft side, are we going to hear a ton of noise? I heard the elevators are pretty insulated but the price was too good to pass up (both of us with taxes together were under $1,000 for 7 day cruise..). I hope this isn't a bad pick! Anyone know about photos or this location???

Dream is so new, there are hardly any pictures. I havent seen any of 1A cabins yet. Sounds like a awesome price. Iv been over that for a 1A on Conquest.

what is a wierd cubbyhole bed?? lol. Iv never heard of one of those on a ship... was it on Carnival? Im sure there will be two beds, thats all I know. Not a sofa that doesnt convert and one twin, you both will get full sized beds.

I just booked #1111 on the Pride for next December. I was hesitant at first but after reading the boards here, the consensus seems to be that these 1As are highly sought after! I'm a single traveler, so this is absolutely perfect for me, and the price was right.

Does anyone have any information about #1111? I'd love to see pictures if possible. Thanks. :o

In a day or two, I'm going to have an addition, with photos, to this thread that is going to punch a few holes in earlier comments (including my own) about the bedding possibilities for 1A cabins on Fantasy-class ships.

Had a real surprise these past three days.

"Film at 11:00", as they say. :)

My teens just stayed in Carnival Lilberty's Cat 1A, cabin # 6227, while we stayed directly across the hall in a Cat. 8A balcony - 6225.

The cabin was small, but very functional. The bathroom was the same size as the bathroom was in our balcony cabin. It had bunks only, one upper, one lower. it had ample storage and counter space. It was just lacking a sofa. It just had a chair and small table.

More proof that not all 1A's are alike! I'm recently back from the Triumph, where I stayed in 1A Cabin 6227. It had a twin bed, plus sofa, plus an upper coming from the ceiling. As above, the bathroom was the same size, but the cabin itself was a good bit smaller than a regular inside cabin: I'd estimate 155 sq ft versus 185 sq ft. Still perfectly adequate.

I'm making it a mission to stay in as many different 1A's as possible. I'm working up the nerve to try those big pie shaped Main Deck 1A's way up front on Conquest class. Maybe on the 5 night Canada cruise with only 2 ports...

Let me preface this post by stating that the following is not a permanent fixture on Carnival Sensation, or any other Fantasy-class ship. It was a special arrangment that I was not expecting (by any means), and when I opened the door at embarkation, I took a step back to make sure I'd entered the correct cabin.

Cabin E181, my personal 1A favorite on the Fantasy-class ships has always had a twin bed on the floor and an addition pull-down twin. It has long been stated by CCL and others (including me) that the queen bed arrangment was 'impossible'. Well . . . . .

2556335660103861232S600x600Q85.jpg

Now the rest of the story . . . it makes a big difference in the room, and a great percentage of the floor space is now taken. The room actually felt smaller with this adjustment. The door clears the corner of the bed by the most miniscule of measurements. The bed is crammed so close to the wall that the room steward can not get on that side to make the bed. It would be a pain in the arse on an every day basis.

I greatly appreciated the crew's effort to surprise me (and did it ever!), but I'm thinking I like the 'twin only' arrangement better.

It was also explained that this could be temporarily arranged on Empress deck only, as the 1As on Upper deck are just a teeny bit smaller making the door clearance totally impossible.

Edited by DGP1111

WOW, Don...what a great surprise. And WAY TO GO Carnival!!

Just read the Cruise Critic awards/favorites. Carnival took best buffet and main dining room in the food category. I may feel a total conversion coming on.

Was that configuration in all the Empress deck 1A's or just E181?

For last week's sailing, it was only that way in mine (181). My steward explained he'd recently done it in E185 for a couple who'd booked the 1A for the cost savings, but were sad to have the upper bed arrangement. He 'fixed' that while they were out and about on the second day. Nice touch!

This was the third sailing I'd done on that ship, in that cabin, with the same steward in a period of less than one year, so he just chose to do it as a surprise. Despite the fact I actually prefered the regular set-up, his effort to recognize the frequent sailing resulted in a nice gratuity, fer sure. :)

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great thread!!! I just booked a 1A on the Sensation for the Jan. 10th sailing. There were only 3 1A's left - R50, R62 and M298. I am in a quandary as to which one to take. I generally like the mid-ship area because I can tend to get seasick. R62 is on the bottom deck but smack in the middle. My PVP has talked me into M298 - it is up one deck on the main deck and is a handicap accessible room. There is a chance that I may get bounced if it is needed for a handicapped person and, rightly so. M298 is still considered mid-ship but is just before the aft elevators. Will I have trouble with the motion there? should I go with the R62. I like the idea of being on the Main deck.

I know someone out there has some advice for me!!

I am also booked in a 1A on the Dream in April - a Porthole room, 2217 - does anyone know anything about that room?

Thanks!!!

Im sorry to hear someone is recommending you take a HC cabin so that unless they bounce you out to another 1A its no longer available to someone who really needs it. Most of us know they rarely bounce someone out of HC cabins once they are booked, unless someone who is HC pushes the issue. You will have a shower seat and lots of nice bars to hold on to in the bathroom. On a Fantasy class ship the cabins arent any larger. So, no size advantage like on newer ships.

Iv been in 2211 on Conquest and it was a nice layout and should be similar to Dream, one twin and one convertible sofa with the two port holes. I think there is a picture up now for PT cabins that is pretty close to what you will see if you look at PTs on Dream.

Edited by firefly333

Im sorry to hear someone is recommending you take a HC cabin so that unless they bounce you out to another 1A its no longer available to someone who really needs it.

Iv been in 2211 on Conquest and it was a nice layout and should be similar to Dream, one twin and one convertible sofa with the two port holes. I think there is a picture up now for PT cabins that is pretty close to what you will see if you look at PTs on Dream.

Hey Firefly - I too had qualms about taking a HC cabin. My PVP assured me that I would get bumped if it was needed and if no 1A's were available they would bump me to the next level - which could mean being in an inside room in the front or the back of the ship rather than mid-ship.

Because it is after the time that final payment is due and it hasn't been booked yet, they are now offering it. I understand that they do keep those rooms open until it is within the 70 days of sailing.

What do you think about the position of it? will I feel a lot of motion there because it is closer to the aft?

Also, on the deck plan it is surrounded by white space which I am told is storage for the cabin stewards. Will I be hearing a lot of noise in the early hours of the morning?