2008 Election - How to vote from ship

JMARINER

For those of us that will be out of USA for the election and need to get their ballot delivered to the ship, I am re-posting a letter I just received from Regent Operations:

With this being an important election year we are getting a lot of questions from callers inquiring where can they have their absentee ballots sent? I have received information from Fort Lauderdale that guests that will be sailing during the election in November should have their absentee ballots mailed to the corporate office at the following address and they will forward these to the respective ships. Please advise guests to have clearly marked on the mailing envelope with the ballot enclosed, their full name, name of the ship, sailing date, and suite number.

Regent Headquarters

ATTENTION: OPERATIONS

1000 Corporate Drive, Ste. 500

Fort Lauderdale
, FL 33334

(954)776-6123 / (800) 477-7500

After the ballots are filled out that guests would take to reception onboard ship to send by FED EX or DHL to their respective District, the reason on this is because Ballots have to be sent 29 – 7 days prior to Election Day in order for their vote to be counted.

J

I vote by absentee ballot on permanent status. The ballot arrives at my home about a month prior to the election. There is always a form to fill out on the sample ballot to request one - temporary or permanent. Usually about 45 days before an election. You could call your Registrar of Voters in the county you reside to see about getting it early or when they will be mailed.

Although I understand the above comment from JMARINER, it seems a lot easier to vote absentee before leaving on your cruise (if possible). That way, your vote will count . . . . if you depend on international deliveries is a lot more difficult and less certain (JMO)

Although I understand the above comment from JMARINER, it seems a lot easier to vote absentee before leaving on your cruise (if possible).

Re-read the header. "For those of us that will be out of USA for the election and need to get their ballot delivered to the ship." Since the voyage start on September 27 in Monte Carlo and the absentee ballots are not mailed out until early October, no it is not possible. I know of many others who are on the full voyage a I thought posting the info here would be of help.

J

Re-read the header. "For those of us that will be out of USA for the election and need to get their ballot delivered to the ship." Since the voyage start on September 27 in Monte Carlo and the absentee ballots are not mailed out until early October, no it is not possible. I know of many others who are on the full voyage a I thought posting the info here would be of help.

J

Okay -- I re-read the "header". Now, perhaps you will re-read my post (the part about "if possible").:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

As an example of how this is done without involving the cruise line, here is how it works in Texas. This can be done right now. The county election administrator will mail an application to you for an absentee ballot. You fill this out, then mail it back to the election administrator. The election administrator will then mail you a ballot. However, they will not mail it to the county in which you live. However, they will mail it to my travel agent in the next county, about twenty miles away. She will then mail it back to me in my county. After filling it out, I mail to the election administrator. Sounds a little silly to me. But I guess the USPS will make some money with all of the mailing back and forth.

It all depends on where you live. Here in Virginia, absentee ballots became available today for mailing, as did the option of going to the county government center and absentee voting in person. The latter is what I plan to do before departing for the Discovery Collection.

Thanks Crys. I didn't realize the early voting opened already. Virginia is great in that you don't even have to request an absente ballot. You can just go to the local election office and vote early if you think you're going to be out of town on election day. I do it all the time. Tom.

You may vote early in person in Texas as well as other states, but the time period for early voting in person is shorter than the time period to vote by mail. In our case we will be out of the county during the early vote in person period. Therefore the need to vote by mail.

Archived