Do you tell other passengers what you paid?

toledo_cruiser

That's what I was afraid of, tacky and classless, and making them feel stupid and naive.

That's how we felt. Their TA turned out to be a family member.

We're slowly learning the ropes ourselves. Our sister-in-law booked our first two cruises did us no favors. On our third cruise we went through a TA who "failed" to upgrade us to the OV cabin we paid for. Then promptly went out of business. So much to learn, so little money.

My guess is their family member managed a free cruise for themselves by charging more to their family.

Nope, we don't.

But, I am always curious if we did "good", and wonder how we could do better.

Our first cruise in 1996, we didn't know how to "shop" or research, we figured it sounded reasonable-

Carnival 7 day for 7 people, 2 inside cabins on Main, including Airfare-May 25;

for @1,000 per person. It sounded good, the experience was incredible, but it took awhile to afford another, just the two of us....

Flew to San Juan (connecting flight Atlanta, GA), cruised to the Caribbean --St. Thomas, Guadelope, Greneda, Venezula, and Aruba. An amazing experience for our family.

Though I do STILL wonder how much we could have saved if we had known more. We compared prices with Carnival directly, and booked with a local TA.

I'd LOVE to know-what CC thinks. I'd LOVE to know we didn't mess up too badly. But I want to know the truth. We now cruise OFF season and look for great deals. That wasn't so our very first family vacation.

AND, at the time, I would have been heartsick to learn we wasted ALOT of money we didn't even have at the time. But, in the end, it was worth paying off. A truly incredible experience!

For what it's worth, we later booked (and then later cancelled) a cruise to Alaska with Carnival, 4 of us (adults), wrap around balcony, including Air for $1250 each. It sounded good, but we just couldn't afford it, August 2003, for DH 50th BD. He changed his mind about spending so much. It was HIS BD after all, how can you argue with that-LOL.

What do you think? I'd love to be able to compare, but NO- we don't ever talk about it.....

But something in me sure wants to..... It just seems Taboo-or rude-with total strangers....

With the OP's original premise, I would have recommended the CruiseCritic website as a source of fantastic cruise information for future use.

Agreed. I've learned so much on CC and I want to share the wealth but I would not have discussed $$$ with them. It is too late to change it so why spoil their happiness.

If they are boorish enough to bring up the topic, let someone else be boorish enough to give them an answer.

Never, never, never. I have had people tell me how much they paid and I just sort of nod my head. The worst was our trip around Hawaii many years ago. We paid less then 900 and the couple next door to us in the same type of cabin paid over 3000-----they thought it was a good deal. It is best to just keep your mouth shut.

I certainly would not tell what I paid for my cruise, but if the person asking is polite about it and you want to help them out, you could casually mention "You know, next time you cruise, you may want to consider booking through (fill in the blank). They offer some great rates!" The person will get the hint that they paid too much but won't know if it was a little or a lot!;)

If I ever get into conversation regarding pricing, I will never divulge what I paid, but if the other party does and it is more or less expensive, if less I ask what TA they used in a, who was that with type question if more expensive, I say try so and so next time they occasionally have some offers. I try not to get into exact comparisons though.

I don't think I've ever told anyone.

But I have been part of "conversations" with people on various Roll Calls about price reductions. For example, someone might say "Did you see that our cruise is now offering a residency (or senior) discount so you can get a balcony for $xxxx?" Then we'd talk about the discount and if we'd gotten it.

I would have just smiled and said how glad I was they were enjoying their cruise. :) Discussing specific prices is never a good idea. Depending on the circumstances discussing how one chooses to book, be it directly through the cruiseline, with a brick and mortor TA or on-line TA is fine but even that depends upon the relationship of the the people involved in the conversation and if there is ever any doubt as to if its a good idea its always a good idea to avoid the conversation!;)

I'm asked often which method I usually use for booking and usually answer that question but rarely go into any greater detail unless the person asking is asking good questions because they are really trying to learn and gather information for booking their own cruise and I always remember to add that everyone is different and what is good for me might not be the best of idea for them and their first cruise. :)

Never.

Never.

Never.

Ever, tell anyone on a cruise what you paid for your cabin. Either they will feel bad or you will feel bad.

Whenever the subject comes up, share money saving ideas you have discovered that apply when booking any cruise; credit card discounts, stockholder discounts, calling your TA when you see the fares have been decreased and asking for the new, lower price on your own reservation, on board booking discounts.

Help people to save on their future cruises. Don't ruin their cruise (or your own) by discussing prices paid for the cruise you are currently on.

Only to the extent of a generality in conversation with other experience cruisers how much prices have changed over the years (and with that, the amenities). Something like "what we bought an inside for 10 years ago, we get a balcony now".

We did have friends who were cruising over last Christmas asked if we minded telling them how much we paid for our cruise in January. I told them everything came to just under $3000 with air, and they said there's was over $4000. It was more of a curiosity thing for them since this was the first time they had taken a holiday cruise and wondered how much more it cost to do it then than 3 weeks later.

Nope, we don't.

But, I am always curious if we did "good", and wonder how we could do better.

Our first cruise in 1996, we didn't know how to "shop" or research, we figured it sounded reasonable-

Carnival 7 day for 7 people, 2 inside cabins on Main, including Airfare-May 25;

for @1,000 per person. It sounded good, the experience was incredible, but it took awhile to afford another, just the two of us....

Flew to San Juan (connecting flight Atlanta, GA), cruised to the Caribbean --St. Thomas, Guadelope, Greneda, Venezula, and Aruba. An amazing experience for our family.

Though I do STILL wonder how much we could have saved if we had known more. We compared prices with Carnival directly, and booked with a local TA.

I'd LOVE to know-what CC thinks. I'd LOVE to know we didn't mess up too badly. But I want to know the truth. We now cruise OFF season and look for great deals. That wasn't so our very first family vacation.

AND, at the time, I would have been heartsick to learn we wasted ALOT of money we didn't even have at the time. But, in the end, it was worth paying off. A truly incredible experience!

For what it's worth, we later booked (and then later cancelled) a cruise to Alaska with Carnival, 4 of us (adults), wrap around balcony, including Air for $1250 each. It sounded good, but we just couldn't afford it, August 2003, for DH 50th BD. He changed his mind about spending so much. It was HIS BD after all, how can you argue with that-LOL.

What do you think? I'd love to be able to compare, but NO- we don't ever talk about it.....

But something in me sure wants to..... It just seems Taboo-or rude-with total strangers....

Before 9-11 2001, crusies were higher. $1000 a person including airfare was great for that time. I remember us paying $450 a person for a a 4 day cruise, inside cabin, and we drove to port.

On our last cruise DW and I met a very nice couple from Virginia. This was their first cruise and they were gushing about what a great deal they had gotten (family reunion) and how they had to scrimp to pull it together. They had paid more for an inside cabin than we did for our balcony.:( They were having such a good time we didn't want to put a damper on their vacation. We didn't think it was proper to tell them they had gotten hosed by their TA.

I've no doubt that there are folks who got better deals than we did, folks who know how to work the system to the max. But do you give advice to folks like the Virginia couple? Do you let them know (in a nice way) that they could have saved mucho dinero by doing a little research?

I had never had anyone else tell me what they paid before. With all the TAs and discounted rates, PVPs, military rates, etc., probably no two people pay the same thing. I wouldn't think to ask anyone else since it's a personal thing, but the other couple volunteered the information.

Jim and Ronda

We never tell other people what we have paid for a cruise.

On our first cruise we had a couple at our table bragging about the fantastic deal they got on their suite. Supposedly one cruise over booked, Carnival offered them a good price on a different sailing or something. Did hear a few others mention their prices and some were less than what we paid for our oceanview. However I think I paid a good price otherwise I wouldn't have booked it in the first place.

I always get people asking how I can afford to take a cruise and for those I do break it down to what I spend and most have said oh wow that is less than we would have thought it was. We also book 3-4 to a cabin and then split the cost equally so it lowers the cost for all involved.

I don't see how to edit my post--

This Alaska trip would hae cost $2500 per person, NOT 1250-- for Airfare- 7 day Carnival- Wrap Around Aft Balcony...

I never was very good in math- sorry-

Quote:

I don't want to hear what anyone paid........ how does one even know if they are telling the truth?? :eek:

And, I certainly don't consider telling anyone else what we paid.

Keeps things friendly and happy. :)

Before 9-11 2001, crusies were higher. $1000 a person including airfare was great for that time. I remember us paying $450 a person for a a 4 day cruise, inside cabin, and we drove to port.

That is good to know. IIRC we paid more than that for our first 3-day back in 2000. My DW was not a happy camper when she found out what I paid for our third cruise. She felt she had been totally ripped off by her friend who booked our first and second cruise. That said, it was up to us to do the research. I can't be angry because we didn't check it, we depended upon an "expert" to steer us correctly. We now know better and she'll never book another cruise for us. Am I soured on TAs, no. I just have a smidgen more knowledge than I did then. Since then I've discovered sites such as CC and the wealth of information available here. I've learned about military discounts and how better to shop. As a consumer, it's up to me to be an enlightened consumer. Caveat Emptor. I have been devouring forum after forum as I attempt to get my degree in cruisemanship. ;) Don't claim to know everything, you have to be careful out here on the misinformation net, but there are plenty of nuggets to add to your store of knowledge.

Back to the original post, I just wanted to be sure that I had taken the correct tact when dealing with the questioning passenger. She wasn't pressing for information, just making conversation about the sacrifices they had to make to go on the cruise. I think I alternated between "Danger Will Robinson, Danger," and Richard Gere doing the tapdance song. I just wanted to know how others would have handled the situation and I feel a heck of a lot better.

I'm Jim and I approve this post.

While on a cruise, this is not a topic for discussion. Out of the last 5 cruises that we have taken, I have paid for 3 1/2 of them at the blackjack table. This next one - 1/2 of the package was picked up by our world points charge card. (got rooms full of stuff purchased that we don't need and will be passed along to kids, grandkids, etc.) :D All you can do is work the deal that fits your program and to heck with the world. :cool: Go, spend and have a great time for yourself. Thats what it's all about.

I wish some folks on our Alaska cruise hadn't told me what they paid!! I actually met them on CC just before we sailed and with the world being as small as it is, they ended up being in the room directly across from us.

I teased them about their down to the wire booking and she replies, "We just couldn't pass up 7 nights for $1,200 total for a deluxe balcony!"

:mad: We paid over $2,000 for an inside cabin...so much for early booking savings!!!

The only time it has come up for me was when someone was trying to show off about their great price. Rude in my opinion.

As mentioned the price is relevant to when you booked (some people can't book at the last minute) and lots of other factors.

Plus I find people often lie (or omit the truth).

Like the person who gets on here saying I paid $***.

Then when you ask more questions it turns out to be US$ (even though they are Australian). Then it doesn't include taxes, port charges etc.

So I find when people say a price I take it with a grain of salt.

Do your own research and get the price that suits you at the time it suits you.

If someone was genuinely saying they got a good deal (and they didn't) I'd tactfully say I look at so and so sites. They have good deals, have you seen them etc. That way they could look for next time.

I get staff rates and wouldn't tell people what I paid. That's not fair.

There was a woman drumming up business by giving out cards on a cruise. She had flyers saying "I can get you this price etc". They were actually staff prices. I fronted her on that and she said. No I can get them. I'd like to see how she did that and how she would give the customers ID to prove they were entitled to the discount. What a con.

I'm a deal hunter and in normal conversations that I have had during lunch/dinner, etc, the most common topics down this line are how to use Priceline and how to save money on cruises. I don't brag about the price I paid, but always talk about calling for price drops, special rates, different ways to get OBC, etc.

Unfortunately this was a topic of conversation one night at dinner, and since we were seated with tablemates that we truly felt comfortable with, my dad let slip the steal we got for our rooms ($449/pp for a 7-night Christmas cruise). Even though we were in an inside and the others were in balconies that weren't ever that severely discounted, it made at least one person upset ... so yes the general rule is good ... unless you paid the same, either you are going to feel bad or the person you tell is.

In the OPs example, I might not have told them they they paid too much, but I might have said ... you know, if you want to keep cruising, here's how in the future you can try to go on as many more as possible.

Archived