Carnival's New Early Saver Program

O.K., so if I book a cruise 9 months out, and I keep checking , and at the 5 month point early saver rates are available, does that mean that I can then change over to early saver ? I don't consider 5 months to be " early", I usually book farther out than that.

O.K., so if I book a cruise 9 months out, and I keep checking , and at the 5 month point early saver rates are available, does that mean that I can then change over to early saver ? I don't consider 5 months to be " early", I usually book farther out than that.

It says its for "new bookings" only, but I guess you can try.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/earlysaver/

*Cruise rate are in US dollars, per person, based on double occupancy, capacity controlled and subject to change at any time without prior notice. Government taxes and fees are additional for all guests. A non-refundable and non-transferable deposit is required at the time of booking for all guests to secure confirmed accommodations. Offer is valid for new bookings only and is not combinable with any other discounted or promotional offer. Category restrictions and exclusions apply. No name changes are allowed. A $50 service fee may be assessed per person for ship and/or sail date changes made prior to the final payment due date. Cancellation penalties apply.

Just posted a news item on Carnival's Early Saver fares on CruiseCritic.com: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3008

Take a look!

Erica

Associate Editor

Thanks Erica! I read this blurb "You can save 25 percent initially and should the price drop even lower, you'll get a refund in the form of onboard credit" and now I'm wondering if it's going to be a straight 25% or if that was supposed to read "up to"?? Saving 25% off the top would be great. I wonder if they are going to continue with the future cruise certificates? Those are an instant $100 obc for a 7 day sailing. Since this early saver program states it's not combinable I'd have to take that $100 obc into consideration.

Thanks Erica! I read this blurb "You can save 25 percent initially and should the price drop even lower, you'll get a refund in the form of onboard credit" and now I'm wondering if it's going to be a straight 25% or if that was supposed to read "up to"?? Saving 25% off the top would be great. I wonder if they are going to continue with the future cruise certificates? Those are an instant $100 obc for a 7 day sailing. Since this early saver program states it's not combinable I'd have to take that $100 obc into consideration.

The press release said "as much as 25%" did you check out post #47 it has an example of saving. Im sure all the deals wont be that great.

Crazed, Carnival told me up to 25 percent off, so the actual discount percentage will vary by sailing.

Also to pmc7704, I'm told that yes you can book a regular fare with a refundable deposit and if right before the five-month or three-window cutoff for Early Saver fares you want to switch from a regular fare to an Early Saver fare, you can do that. But that means if the price drops after that point, you can only get the difference in onboard credit. Whereas if you kept the regular fare and the price dropped, your agent should be able to get the difference knocked off your final bill.

It all depends on whether you'd rather have onboard credit or cash in hand...and how good your travel agent is!

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/EarlySaver.aspx

Early Saver is a brand new promotional rate that rewards you for booking early with the absolute lowest rate. In addition, the fares are backed by a unique price protection assurance. Book your cruise now. If you later find a lower Carnival advertised fare for the same sailing and accommodations, Carnival will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable, non-transferable onboard credit. The policy is effective up to two business days prior to sailing. You now have even more great reasons to book early! Not only will you have the best availability of staterooms, dates, and destinations…you’re assured the lowest rate.

• How early must I make my reservation?

Early Saver is available up to 3 months prior to sailing on short cruises (5 days or shorter) and up to 5 months prior to sailing on long cruises (6 days or greater).

• Does Early Saver follow Carnival’s standard deposit, payment and cancellation terms?

The deposit and payment terms are the same. However, Early Saver reservations require a full non-refundable deposit per person.

• What if I need to make changes to my ship or sailing date?

Ship and sailing date changes are allowed prior to the final payment due date, subject to a $50 service fee per person, per change. Changes made after the final payment due date are subject to standard cancellation penalties.

• What is the price protection assurance feature?

If, after booking, you find a lower Carnival advertised fare, Carnival will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable onboard credit. The lower fare must be: i) for the same ship, sailing, stateroom category and number of guests; ii) available for booking at the time you submit your request for the lower rate; and iii) a rate you are eligible to receive, if special restrictions apply. Price protection will be subject to the prevailing fees and/or fuel supplement if applicable.

• What is a Carnival advertised fare?

A Carnival.com or Carnival advertised fare available to the general public. A Carnival advertised fare excludes group rates, membership programs, charters or other Travel Agent promotions not offered by Carnival to the general public, including but not limited to travel agent rebates.

• What should I do once I find a lower rate?

Complete a price protection claim form. If the request meets the price protection requirements, we will process your onboard credit for the fare difference and send you an email confirmation within 2 business days of your request.

• What information must be submitted for a price protection request?

• Guest(s) name
  • Sailing information
  • Available cruise fare being requested
  • Where the lower advertised fare was found (i.e.: Carnival.com)

IMHO this program would only benefit the customer if the initial discount was substantial, otherwise it does not appear to be a program that benefits the customer.

Now - get price reductions off outstanding balance, so no money out of pocket, up until final payment.

New program - no price reductions off outstanding balance. Any drop in fare will be a non refundable OBC. Spend it on Carnival or lose it.

Now - get deposit back up until final payment.

New program - once paid, no return of deposit.

Now - change rooms or anything else up until final payment, no charge.

New program - Each change - $50.00 charge.

Now - Risk of lost of deposit due to "life" forcing cancellation is 75 days.

New Program - This risk is at least 5 months for a 7 day cruise.

Ambiguous Parts of the new program.

1. Rates at times can fluctuate drastically in a short period of time. If you email them with the info they require, and the price changes back up to a higher price by the time they process your request, does this mean you do not get the OBC, because they cannot currently see the rate you saw. (Recently, I saw the prices on my next cruise change several times in one day.)

2. Does this program apply to military, senior, past guest, etc. discounts? If not, then this program would appear to be not very attractive to many folks. For example to get the military rate you have to call Carnival, so is the result of the phone call , the "Carnival advertised rate", or not?

3. Presently, after final payment, there is no OBC for a price drop, but you can upgrade if cabins are available. In the new program can you upgrade instead of taking the OBC? (Also before final payment.) Or is there a $50.00 charge for this change?

4. If one does not choose this program, does the present system for price reductions, upgrades, etc. stay in place? I hope so. If not, then this may encourage many to book at later date then they may otherwise book.

In the present economy, I think Carnival has the right idea, at least basically. Too bad it could not be a little more straightforward. For example, --Carnival will introduce a new program to reward our valued customers who book eary by offering a --% discount for booking more than five months in advance. Thank you for your business--. JMHO.

Not for us...The non refundable is what did it. I will book a year out, as I have always done....watch the price...and if my online TA will not do it if the the prices go lower...I will cancel and re book.

The online reputable TA we use has given us price reductions just for the asking (should the prices actually be lower) in the past...hope it happens again!

Just an aside....The prices are rising on many cruises...the NYC/Canada 5 day that cost 6 of us $3500 in 2007 is now about $1000 more for the same cabin. That type of increase will keep us from cruising and send us to Orlando for A Disney fix.

However, if they think the NYC folks are going to be laying out the big bucks next summer, I think they are in for a surprise. While I am a positive thinker most of the time, the next few months seem bleak...you would not believe the stuff my city in the northern NYC suburbs is cutting out to balance the budget.

I hear you, Jeff. The only reason I questioned that, in my own experience (granted it was my one and only time I booked with a TA--the one that the groups use here so I thought it was an OK idea...never again) I noted a price drop shortly before my cruise in Feb 07 and called the TA. Nope, sorry, I was not qualified because it was for "new bookings only". Even though I called my PVP and talked with her about it (she has always given me price drops no matter what, right up until sail date, and told me she could have given me the discount I spoke of had I booked it with her) the TA refused to budge. Now, I know that was on the TA and not Carnival, but I am also reading a lot of posts lately where people are being "upsold" on rooms that used to be given by the upgrade fairy. Carnival took away the fuel surcharge but raised the prices of the cruises (not coincidentally) as high as the now defunct fuel surcharges were. Given all of these trends of late, I am just very suspicious about "IF the fare qualifies" sort of statements. It just comes across as an out to me. Could just be me, LOL!

the most difficult TA i have ever had the displeasure of dealing with

It would bother me if "new bookings only" fares were disqualified from this offer but the wording "any Carnival advertised fare available to the general public" seems to me to include them. If I can verify that those are covered, then I would probably use this. The "new bookings" rates can be pretty darned attractive sometimes and impossible to get it you're already booked.

I thought Carnivals advertised fares were across the board.. Meaning no one can advertise any differently... so if your TA offers it for less.. no OBC

Am I understanding correctly?

This does not sound like such a great plan

On the positive side to what I posted above.

If the discount is a decent amount and you can combine this with the military, senior, and past guest discounts, assuming they may be lower than the rates offered under this program, this may be good for some folks. But for me, I probably cannot get by the non refundable deposit five months out.

I wonder. If you book under this program and the rate initially offered is lower than other available discounts (for example the military rate), but then at a later date the military rate is lower than the rate you paid under this program, do you get an OBC for the difference? I guess this would depend on the military rate being included under "Carnival advertised rates" and if you can change to the lowest rate that you are qualified for and not just base possible OBCs on the program rate that you originally booked under. In other words the program rate would have to be lower or the current advertised cabin price on their website would have to be lower than the price you originally paid.

I guess we shall see.

Thanks

Those are great prices. An ocean view for $60 less than the price of an Inside cabin.

Not for us...The non refundable is what did it. I will book a year out, as I have always done....watch the price...and if my online TA will not do it if the the prices go lower...I will cancel and re book . . .

Someone please explain this to me:

Early Saver is available up to 3 months prior to sailing on short cruises (5 days or shorter) and up to 5 months prior to sailing on long cruises (6 days or greater).

This seems to say that that these fares are only available 5 months out for seven day cruises. They are not going to be available a year out.

People who book months ahead of time are not going to get to take advantage of these fares from what I can tell.

Thoughts?

Crazed, Carnival told me up to 25 percent off, so the actual discount percentage will vary by sailing.

Also to pmc7704, I'm told that yes you can book a regular fare with a refundable deposit and if right before the five-month or three-window cutoff for Early Saver fares you want to switch from a regular fare to an Early Saver fare, you can do that. But that means if the price drops after that point, you can only get the difference in onboard credit. Whereas if you kept the regular fare and the price dropped, your agent should be able to get the difference knocked off your final bill.

It all depends on whether you'd rather have onboard credit or cash in hand...and how good your travel agent is!

I am reading this just the opposite of the way that you are. I think that these fares are not available until the last five months or three months before sailing. They are not going to be out there a year ahead of time.

If they are available a year ahead then I anticipate that once you are booked no fare adjustments will be allowed, and if you cancel and try to rebook to get a lower fare they will say that it is not a new booking but a continuation of the prior one.

I do not think that this is going to matter for people who plan ahead.

Thanks

Those are great prices. An ocean view for $60 less than the price of an Inside cabin.

I must be missing something as when i clicked on the link there were no early saver rates, and the OV was 429 and the IS was 379 or so

Someone please explain this to me:

This seems to say that that these fares are only available 5 months out for seven day cruises. They are not going to be available a year out.

People who book months ahead of time are not going to get to take advantage of these fares from what I can tell.

Thoughts?

I am reading this just the opposite of the way that you are. I think that these fares are not available until the last five months or three months before sailing. They are not going to be out there a year ahead of time.

If they are available a year ahead then I anticipate that once you are booked no fare adjustments will be allowed, and if you cancel and try to rebook to get a lower fare they will say that it is not a new booking but a continuation of the prior one.

I do not think that this is going to matter for people who plan ahead.

What I read it to mean is that if, for example, you want to book a cruise for January 2010, you have until August 2009 to book using the early saver. After August 2009, early saver would not be available.

I agree with the other poster, they will only be available in advance. Once you hit the date the rates are no longer available for (5 months for 7 days, 3 months for 4/5 day cruises), then you will be unable to purchase them.

Erica's point above is something I had not thought about either. Once you lock into a early saver rate, that's it. You lock into this rate say 12 months out, and it drops 6 months later, you still will pay the original rate you locked into, you only get OBC for the difference .... and you have to fill out that form to get the reduction. Each time the rate drops YOU have to fill out that form someone provided the link to and submit it.

I agree with the other poster, they will only be available in advance. Once you hit the date the rates are no longer available for (5 months for 7 days, 3 months for 4/5 day cruises), then you will be unable to purchase them.

Erica's point above is something I had not thought about either. Once you lock into a early saver rate, that's it. You lock into this rate say 12 months out, and it drops 6 months later, you still will pay the original rate you locked into, you only get OBC for the difference .... and you have to fill out that form to get the reduction. Each time the rate drops YOU have to fill out that form someone provided the link to and submit it.

If you have the option of waiting until 5 months out, why would anyone lock in 12 months out?? If you can indeed switch after booking, it wouldnt really make sense to pull that trigger a day before you are required.

Archived