CAUGHT SMUGGLING ALCOHOL on RCCL????

Actually, I chose NOT to move with my feet unlike you and the masses might. I choose to protest WITHIN the rules. I'm not a child. With the limited cruise history in your signature, you probably just wouldn't get it yet.

Do you know that one night early in my cruise history years ago on the Serenade I declined the Captains invitation to dinner - but invited him to join my table the next night, which he accepted? That's what happens when you proudly wear 3 stars on your USAF "mess dress" for formal night. I only brought the "kit" as my DW calls it because I thought I might need to jump ship for another "business" matter at the time.

Son, don't try to show me anything. Been there - done that - and have the kills painted on the side of my canopy to show it. You never know who you cruise with.

If you are ever lucky enough to be my MDR tablemate I can promise you won't be bored.

USAF Retired - now enjoying life - and very damm proud to be so.

See you out there - but remember - you NEVER want me on your 6.;)

You sound like an old crank that I would be happy to avoid.

If you read in the brochures, Celebrity says that you can bring two bottles of wine per person on board at the start of the cruise only. Royal Caribbean said no wine allowed to be brought on. I did have two bottles in my carryon. They made me open my bad and took one. They never saw the other. I have sent through wine through checked luggage.

I have heard that they don't see wine if it is the box kind.

Celebrity regs allow two bottles of wine per cabin...not per person

Actually, I chose NOT to move with my feet unlike you and the masses might. I choose to protest WITHIN the rules. I'm not a child. With the limited cruise history in your signature, you probably just wouldn't get it yet.

Do you know that one night early in my cruise history years ago on the Serenade I declined the Captains invitation to dinner - but invited him to join my table the next night, which he accepted? That's what happens when you proudly wear 3 stars on your USAF "mess dress" for formal night. I only brought the "kit" as my DW calls it because I thought I might need to jump ship for another "business" matter at the time.

Son, don't try to show me anything. Been there - done that - and have the kills painted on the side of my canopy to show it. You never know who you cruise with.

If you are ever lucky enough to be my MDR tablemate I can promise you won't be bored.

No, you don't know you you cruise with. DH and I cruise together and he is a retired USN 0-6 with 30 years under his belt. I'm VERY proud of him. What that or your "history" has to do with cruising is beyond me. BTW, he has more than a few days at sea having served aboard ship, at least 500 in his first 4 years on AD. Most USAF spend their time flying a desk. Now, what were you saying? :D

And, yes, I know what 3 stars mean. I know a few 2 and have met a couple 3 stars. Most of them don't brag about their rank.

Um, my limited cruise history? I think 9 cruises is a lot compared to many, many people.

Are you always this condescending?

Of course you sound like one of those that makes sure EVERYONE you meet onboard knows exactly how many cruises you've been on and how much of an expert you are at everything.

Also, we have no plans to "move on" because alcohol is not so all fired important to us that we make all our decisions around it.

If you did serve in the USAF, then you understand the freedoms this country affords and that also means RCI can set any policy they want an those that don't like them can move on. You need to not have such a knee-jerk reaction to something so unimportant in the grand scheme of things. I have to wonder if that's how you always react.

Oh well here goes another story!

Two years ago traveling out of San Juan on Princess wile boarding a fellow several places before me was asked if he had any liquor in his carry on. He said no. They said pleas step over there and open your case. Not only did he refuse but he got quite belligerent about it. Security was called and he was led away TOWARD the pier. Don't know what he had or did not have.

Now comes my turn and I figure I would have to give up my two bottles of Gentleman Jack. I certainly was not going to put up a fuss after what I just witnessed. Surprise, surprise I was able to commune with Jack the whole cruise. How sweet it was!!!

I'm totally on your side.......but you might want to call her Maam....or woman.......as she does not take to being known as "Son", so she says that her husband says, if you go back to her post to me, where she trys to lambast me.

I have a couple of years at sea...........that's 365 days times 2.......and would be honored to be at your table any day of the week.

I keep wondering if BND just likes to stir the pot, with nothing better to do, or she really has convictions.......that keep running over each other.

The contridictions of her posts........now that I have started to look back on her previous posts.......are almost, well in fairness to her, I won't say.

Yet, some posts are excellent contributions to Cruise Critic, and I admire her for those. Maybe there is a frustration going on. I was not going to even bring it up..........but then you soared up, and like a good wingman, I just needed to say something to my superior!:)

Rick

What contradictions would those be? I've never supported smuggling, ever.

Frustrations? LOL Hardly.

Stir the pot? No, actually I do have convictions and I take a stand for those that are very important to me. I haven't taken a stand, perse on this topic other than to say RCI has the right to set any policy they want as a private company. Where exactly is that incorrect? Just because you don't like a policy doesn't make it important enough to get your panties in a bunch over.:rolleyes:

If you really have a problem with RCI's policies, why stop at alcohol, why not complain you can't bring an iron onboard, or smoke in the cabin, or a myriad of other things?

My statement about voting with your feet is what most intelligent people would do if they really feel that strongly about something, but from what I get here is that quite a few people can't cruise without drinking a lot so they don't want to spend the money onboard if they can sneak past RCI's rules. That goes to so many other issues that have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

What contradictions would those be? I've never supported smuggling, ever.

Frustrations? LOL Hardly.

Stir the pot? No, actually I do have convictions and I take a stand for those that are very important to me. I haven't taken a stand, perse on this topic other than to say RCI has the right to set any policy they want as a private company. Where exactly is that incorrect? Just because you don't like a policy doesn't make it important enough to get your panties in a bunch over.:rolleyes:

If you really have a problem with RCI's policies, why stop at alcohol, why not complain you can't bring an iron onboard, or smoke in the cabin, or a myriad of other things?

My statement about voting with your feet is what most intelligent people would do if they really feel that strongly about something, but from what I get here is that quite a few people can't cruise without drinking a lot so they don't want to spend the money onboard if they can sneak past RCI's rules. That goes to so many other issues that have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

And if you notice closely enough, you will see which line I was on last.

Rick

I have no idea what 3 stars are or being on my 6. If you were trying to impress, you failed dismally.:rolleyes:

Smooches.;)

I have no idea what 3 stars are or being on my 6. If you were trying to impress, you failed dismally.:rolleyes:

Smooches.;)

"on your 6" is a strange AF term and technically it means something of along the lines of "watching you, hunting you, etc. Kind of a threat used that way. Or it can mean "having your back". Either way, not appropriate. I've heard it at work a few times. As for 3 stars, it normally means a 3 star General, but in this case, I'm finding that hard to believe.

I (21) personally was too nervous to try to smuggle on alcohol, but a friend of mine (21) was able to bring a 32oz rum runner flask of vodka and another of rum on our ship by packing it in her checked luggage. At dinner time the subject came up and another couple (mid 20’s) was able to bring the same amount plus a smaller container of rum on the ship. They also claimed that they were able to bring the smaller container on RCI's oasis known as Labadee. One of the benefits I have found is that with a soda package and specialty drinks being half priced if non-alcoholic we were able to save quite a bit. We did have a large group of college frat boys on our ship and rumor has it that 5 of them got kicked off the ship during the middle of our cruise for underage drinking and what not. As long as you "drink responsibly" you should be fine.

Enjoy

:D

"on your 6" is a strange AF term and technically it means something of along the lines of "watching you, hunting you, etc. Kind of a threat used that way. Or it can mean "having your back". Either way, not appropriate. I've heard it at work a few times. As for 3 stars, it normally means a 3 star General, but in this case, I'm finding that hard to believe.

LOL -- not to stray too far "OT", but my DH (who used to fly F-4's) taught me to always "check 6" when I found myself in an unfamiliar environment. :p

Your “6” is right behind you. It comes from the way a pilot would denote the direction of another aircraft.

Like the hands of a clock… 12 would be in front of you. Off your right wing would be 3 o’clock. Of your left wing would be 9 o’clock.

And right behind you would be your “6”.

If some other aircraft were about to shoot at you from behind…He would be on your “6”.

In air combat you never want an enemy on your “six”.

Kinda funny that one's previous armed service history is of importance on a cruise forum. And as for being on your 6, which has now been explained to me in previous posts, is just plain weird.

That was my point. I did say I couldn't figure out what it had to do with smuggling alcohol.

• 4 weeks later...

I just checked with Princess cruise website and they want $22 for a 375ml bottle of Bombay Sapphire! That is a HUGE difference from what I can buy a bottle for. At home it costs me $29.95 for a 1.75l bottle compared to $110 for 1875ml. No wonder people smuggle! We're going around the world and will probably smuggle what we can. Can you blame us?:mad:

Smooches.;)

I understood it and was impressed, but doesn't mean he knows anything about Tea in China.

Just the facts mam: I purchased 3 bottles of rum in Barbados in Jan (Serenade)put them in my backpack & walked on the ship, put the bag through the scan. Nothing said, nothing taken. Same thing in St. Thomas.

didn't witness it first hand, but a table mate said that they were able to bring 3 bottles onboard at st thomas.

im thinking it's because getting back on board is a two step process, ur bag gets xrayed at first then you have to go to another table to "check your items in" this table us usually in that hallway in between the port/starboard side and many times you can just hop on the elevator ... totally bypassing the table.

:rolleyes:

You sound like some of the jerk officers that intimidated others with your rank and power. I detested working for those like you, instead I would bust butt for the officers that didn't boast about their rank and showed the Airman his/her strength in leadership, intellegence and respect for their subbordinates.

Obviously I would have to ask for another seat if you were to swoon into the MDR with your attitude and stars!

Proud retired Chief Master Sergeant!

Voyager out of Galveston, February 2011. Security was posted at the scanners and confiscating any liquid refreshments that they could find. They made me give up a 24 pk of Coke Zero, and made my wife discard the partially drank bottle of water that she was in the process of consuming.

They had one of those large carts that they used for loading luggage on the ship and it was full of water, soda, beer, and liquor. We did not get our Coke Zero returned to us.

The sad thing is that they do not sell Coke Zero on the ship.

Archived