CAUGHT SMUGGLING ALCOHOL on RCCL????

On my last trip on the Radiance two of my bags were sent to the naughty room. One had a six pack of diet 7up, I say they are watching more than ever............

You omitted to say what the other bag contained!;)

RCI is so contradictory about their policies it's hard to tell what it really IS all about.

- Can't bring your own on... probably about revenue

- Can't buy bottle onboard for use in cabin... probably about Smith case

- BUT...can buy drinks at bars to take to cabin or get from room service - more about revenue

- BUT... reports are they monitor consumption (SeaPass charges) - again Smith?

- BUT... you can buy multiple "straight" drinks at bars and pour in to flask for later consumption in cabin that they can't monitor - back to being about revenue? If so then there is no point to not selling bottle for use in cabin except that a bottle, bought a drink at a time, would be might expensive. Revenue again.

The big thing lost in all this is the irritation and inconvenience for their customers. It would be a huge win-win for them to just give in and sell bottles (even limited and controlled such as one per cabin per cruise or week). Passengers would be happier, smuggling would dwindle and revenue would be more than with all the smuggling. I note this on my comment cards at cruise end every time. Smuggling might be reduced enough to close the "naughty room" altogether - except for Spring break and possible extra scrutiny of underage cruisers.

I agree with you completely, which in my comment of being treated like a child vs being treated like an adult, but you have said it much more eloquently!!:D

Rick

While boarding Oasis in March, both my son & I had a nice bottle of wine in seperate luggage. Both were confiscated as luggage was loaded aboard, and never returned! I'm sure it was of high enough quality, they drank it.............:mad:

Maybe they should hire every stateroom a nanny and she can monitor our intake so we do not consume more than one drink per hour. While they're at it, they may as well have a breathalyzer on board! After all, we are all irresponsible adults, right?

After 30 cruises of never getting caught, I was caught on my last cruise (Oasis). They marked the suitcases that had alcohol with an "A" and you had to go down to the naughty room and open your suitcase, remove your alcohol and they give you a claim ticket and send you back to your cabin with your suitcase.

Not to get in the middle but .... Money is why they have the rules and it increases revenue by selling more drinks. If people still cruise RCI then it was a good move for the company.

It doesn't really matter why they have their rules. I'm just curious for those that feel the rules are treating people like children or are stupid, why still cruise with RCI? Regardless of how everyone feels about the rule, it exists and as I said, their house, their rules.

I have to laugh at the being treated like a child analogy. One person mentions it and others pile on and all of a sudden it's what RCI's intent is.

We all know it's about money. It's not a secret.

RCI is so contradictory about their policies it's hard to tell what it really IS all about.

- Can't bring your own on... probably about revenue

- Can't buy bottle onboard for use in cabin... probably about Smith case

- BUT...can buy drinks at bars to take to cabin or get from room service - more about revenue

- BUT... reports are they monitor consumption (SeaPass charges) - again Smith?

- BUT... you can buy multiple "straight" drinks at bars and pour in to flask for later consumption in cabin that they can't monitor - back to being about revenue? If so then there is no point to not selling bottle for use in cabin except that a bottle, bought a drink at a time, would be might expensive. Revenue again.

The big thing lost in all this is the irritation and inconvenience for their customers. It would be a huge win-win for them to just give in and sell bottles (even limited and controlled such as one per cabin per cruise or week). Passengers would be happier, smuggling would dwindle and revenue would be more than with all the smuggling. I note this on my comment cards at cruise end every time. Smuggling might be reduced enough to close the "naughty room" altogether - except for Spring break and possible extra scrutiny of underage cruisers.

Then people would complain that they could only buy one bottle and that they were being treated like children, you know, controlling them and preventing them from being adults and all.

We took two bottles of mouthwash/rinse on our cruise in March (two weeks). We had lots of company in the naughty room! I think they are especially vigilant during college spring break times. Maybe not so much during other times of the year?

An Aussie here, so what is the Smith case?

Also, why is it possible to buy a package that includes a bottle of champagne which is delievered to your suite on embarkation day? You can also have a wine package which is either consumed in your room (only) or the MDR?

Their policies are so inconsistent.

An Aussie here, so what is the Smith case?

Also, why is it possible to buy a package that includes a bottle of champagne which is delievered to your suite on embarkation day? You can also have a wine package which is either consumed in your room (only) or the MDR?

Their policies are so inconsistent.

It is hard to find reliable information about this rather bizarre case, but here are a few links to get you started:

http://www.maritime-executive.com/article/royal-caribbean-awards-family-missing-passenger-13-million

http://missingexploited.com/2006/06/29/jennifer-hagel-smith-and-royal-caribbean-reach-settlement-in-missing-honeymooner-george-smith/

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=94089622485

http://www.greenwichtime.com/local/article/Smith-family-hopes-for-answers-after-cruise-ship-657680.php

http://deadlyhoneymoonmovie.blogspot.com/2010/04/deadly-honeymoon-true-story-behind.html

Checked out the NCL boards. They x-ray the luggage and take out anything that looks like booze. Including hair gel, mouth wash, etc...........rediculous.

We were on NCL last September out of Barcelona and there is a duty free shop before you board but after you check in. We bought two bottles of red and a case of water and no one said word one! We carried them on in the bag the duty free gave us. If I had known, I would have gotten more wine - at 8 Euro versus $35 on board with dinner - it was a steal.

Thankyou for that! :D

A few years ago we had a very sordid death on a cruise line in the Pacific, out of Sydney. A woman, in her forties, travelling with her daughter died in dreadful circumstances. The story which emerged, was one of innocent partying on her behalf, perhaps she drank too much, was plied with date rape drugs, and was then raped by some young men (animals) in their cabin. In the morning she had died.

Of course there were court cases, and I think the family are pursuing a civil case with the men concerned (they were identified as she had died in their cabin, on the floor). But the Cruise line were not involved in any blame or anything. Interesting that in the links above, people were not held responsible, but the Cruise line was!

We had a hip flask of drambuie on FOS in April - planned to have with wedding planners we had used yr previously on St Thomas. DH case never arrived, eventually told he had to go to deck 1 or 2 and there his case was being kept until searched :-(. The hip flask picked out by DH and the contents emptied into sink by security and hip flask returned to him. No niceness, no understanding shown of story/reasons for taking small amount of alcohol aboard.

In St Thomas we bought alcohol which was sent from shop to ship and given into cabin on last night.

So we were un

Icky! Drambuie (whiskey liquerwhich is expensive!) down sink!!

I have 3 cruises booked in '12 and no longer smuggle due - more than anything - to a lack of motivation. The first 10 or so cruises it was a lark and convenience more than the $.

That said, I do think the current policy is completely revenue driven, way over the top and very childish - especially considering that we are paid customers, not invited guests.

My little protest will involve saving a few plastic 3/4 liter liquor bottles - flying with them empty - then filling them with water at the hotel for placement all together in my checked luggage with a note attached identifying it as good old water - and that my childish prank is in response to their childish policy.

Yes, I anticipate going to the naughty room. Yes, they will waste resources inspecting, segregating, handling, notifying and making the special trip to deliver the bag(s) to my cabin (yes, they will deliver them from the naughty room - especially for disabled "guests").

I prefer RC for a variety of reasons and will cruise them (obviously). That said,, if they see more of these harmless "childish pranks" they might reconsider the childish policy.

We had 2 bottles of Jack in rum runners on our recent Med cruise and as a previous poster mentioned, there is a duty free store after check in so we bought another bottle of Jack and carried it on board in a backpack.

Rum runners made it no problem in the suitcase and no one even checked the backpack. RCI didn't miss out as our bar bill at the end of the cruise was still substantial.

We also carried some Limoncello on board in Naples with no problems.

If they introduce the drinks packages fleet wide we would buy them. Had them on Celebrity and they are great. If they had the in cabin bar setup like Celebrity, we would buy them.

I have 3 cruises booked in '12 and no longer smuggle due - more than anything - to a lack of motivation. The first 10 or so cruises it was a lark and convenience more than the $.

That said, I do think the current policy is completely revenue driven, way over the top and very childish - especially considering that we are paid customers, not invited guests.

My little protest will involve saving a few plastic 3/4 liter liquor bottles - flying with them empty - then filling them with water at the hotel for placement all together in my checked luggage with a note attached identifying it as good old water - and that my childish prank is in response to their childish policy.

Yes, I anticipate going to the naughty room. Yes, they will waste resources inspecting, segregating, handling, notifying and making the special trip to deliver the bag(s) to my cabin (yes, they will deliver them from the naughty room - especially for disabled "guests").

I prefer RC for a variety of reasons and will cruise them (obviously). That said,, if they see more of these harmless "childish pranks" they might reconsider the childish policy.

Apparently, nobody here has either the conviction of their opinions or the stones to try to change policy.

Sheep - good for mutton only.

By all - see you aboard.

M

On my last trip on the Radiance two of my bags were sent to the naughty room. One had a six pack of diet 7up, I say they are watching more than ever............

Last cruise my luggage went to the naughty room and all that was in it was my electric rollers. they must have looked like mini bottles.LOL

I have never had my wine confiscated, packed in a separate checked suitcase on either Carnival, RCI or Celebrity. I, however,

haven't cruised since March 2003.

:( Sorry to hear!

Hope you book one in the near future.

Right now I'm cruiseless. Having bad withdrawals .

I have been on four different cruise lines and have never had my alcohol confiscated. I pack - wine, champagne, beer, soda and water. Never the hard stuff.

Apparently, nobody here has either the conviction of their opinions or the stones to try to change policy.

Sheep - good for mutton only.

By all - see you aboard.

M

LOL. Geez, "change policy"? "Conviction of their opinions"? We're not talking civil rights or anything of vital national interest. It's alcohol and the policy is what it is. RCI is a private company and they can set the policy they want.

If you're that hung up on it or that offended by it, vote with your feet and move on.

LOL. Geez, "change policy"? "Conviction of their opinions"? We're not talking civil rights or anything of vital national interest. It's alcohol and the policy is what it is. RCI is a private company and they can set the policy they want.

If you're that hung up on it or that offended by it, vote with your feet and move on.

Actually, I chose NOT to move with my feet unlike you and the masses might. I choose to protest WITHIN the rules. I'm not a child. With the limited cruise history in your signature, you probably just wouldn't get it yet.

Do you know that one night early in my cruise history years ago on the Serenade I declined the Captains invitation to dinner - but invited him to join my table the next night, which he accepted? That's what happens when you proudly wear 3 stars on your USAF "mess dress" for formal night. I only brought the "kit" as my DW calls it because I thought I might need to jump ship for another "business" matter at the time.

Son, don't try to show me anything. Been there - done that - and have the kills painted on the side of my canopy to show it. You never know who you cruise with.

If you are ever lucky enough to be my MDR tablemate I can promise you won't be bored.

USAF Retired - now enjoying life - and very damm proud to be so.

See you out there - but remember - you NEVER want me on your 6.;)

Actually, I chose NOT to move with my feet unlike you and the masses might. I choose to protest WITHIN the rules. I'm not a child. With the limited cruise history in your signature, you probably just wouldn't get it yet.

Do you know that one night early in my cruise history years ago on the Serenade I declined the Captains invitation to dinner - but invited him to join my table the next night, which he accepted? That's what happens when you proudly wear 3 stars on your USAF "mess dress" for formal night. I only brought the "kit" as my DW calls it because I thought I might need to jump ship for another "business" matter at the time.

Son, don't try to show me anything. Been there - done that - and have the kills painted on the side of my canopy to show it. You never know who you cruise with.

If you are ever lucky enough to be my MDR tablemate I can promise you won't be bored.

USAF Retired - now enjoying life - and very damm proud to be so.

See you out there - but remember - you NEVER want me on your 6.;)

I'm totally on your side.......but you might want to call her Maam....or woman.......as she does not take to being known as "Son", so she says that her husband says, if you go back to her post to me, where she trys to lambast me.

I have a couple of years at sea...........that's 365 days times 2.......and would be honored to be at your table any day of the week.

I keep wondering if BND just likes to stir the pot, with nothing better to do, or she really has convictions.......that keep running over each other.

The contridictions of her posts........now that I have started to look back on her previous posts.......are almost, well in fairness to her, I won't say.

Yet, some posts are excellent contributions to Cruise Critic, and I admire her for those. Maybe there is a frustration going on. I was not going to even bring it up..........but then you soared up, and like a good wingman, I just needed to say something to my superior!:)

Rick

I have to disagree. First off, your only going to waste your own time having to go to the naughty room. For me, that would be a beginning to an upsetting cruise. The Cruise Line is a buisness, and that in my opinion is the only way to look at it. They have to do something about the smuggling of booze with websites like this promoting it all. So end the end, as is with all things we are our own worst enemy. Everyone gets on cruise critic and brags how they smuggled it in the suit case no problem....Next thing you know, it grows out of hand. Everyone has bottles lying all over the staterooms. The cruise line sees this...and someone says, we are losing alot of money to alcohol smuggling. Your prank, will do nothing more than satisfy yourself...its not going to send them any message. The people opening your case are just workers. They are not going to run to management and say we been pranked...someone made us pull his case apart only to find water and a note...its just not going to happen. Pay for your drinks, relax..enjoy a stress free holiday. You wont change any policy thats for sure, so just enjoy and forget the little things that I agree do make us all upset about.

Archived