what was your most exciting purchase?

Lokalona

We all have bought one on a cruise vacation at some point, that Special Souvenir...

On this past cruise we were in St. Thomas, every time I go there I head for the Crystal Shoppe. I collect LLADRO...well I have been admiring a piece for several years here at home and abroad but just couldn't bring myself to buy it..It was expensive and with 5 kids (one in the Air Force and one out on his own, the other three are teenagers eating me out of house and home) I just don't have the extra fun money anymore. The lady came up to me and said, " this one is now discoutinued, it is the last one we have in the store" I smiled and thanked her...looking longingly, almost drooling like one of my mastiffs back home at the magnificent artwork. I walked around some more, looking for my mother who was being magnetically pulled toward the Swarovski Crystal. I shopped with her a while and then wandered back to "MY" piece of LLADRO...it was about 25% less than in the states, and now with it discontinued the price would be a lot higher soon. The same saleslady's voice broke into my trance like state and I heard her say, "you know, David Lladro is here today, sigining the pieces bought today" BAM! that did it, I whipped out my charge card like a sword, aiming it at her... yes I want it and yes I want to see David LLadro sign it, the kids can eat cereal for a few months while we all gaze at 5 weeks worth of grocery money sitting in the curio cabinet at home! Darned if it didin't beat me home, shipped in it's protective cocoon of styrofoam peanuts!

So what did you buy?

On the final voyage of the beloved ss Rotterdam we stopped in Curaco. My husband was a shopper and dragged me off to Little Switzerland where I fell in love with an absolutely gorgeous pair of diamond studs. They were very large, and of excellent quality. They were also too rich for my pocketbook, so I thanked the salesman for his efforts as I regretfully said "no, thank you".

Then my husband said "wrap 'em up". That was exciting.

I know how it feels to see that special Lladro figurine. I have three of them and it was love at first sight. One is from Seville, one is from Germany, and another from the old Westerdam on an Alaskan cruise. I never regretted these purchases.

This might be the weirdest question ever on these boards but...I am doing the E. Carribean this Feb. and would like to add to my collection of tacky overpriced souvineer snow globes...Does anyone know if they sell these on HMC? I'm talking the plastic ones where it says the name of the place on the outside...

This might be the weirdest question ever on these boards but...I am doing the E. Carribean this Feb. and would like to add to my collection of tacky overpriced souvineer snow globes...Does anyone know if they sell these on HMC? I'm talking the plastic ones where it says the name of the place on the outside...

I am betting this time of year it would be possible, but in Feb. not so sure. I think someone here will be visiting HMC soon and can look for you.

3 yards of beautiful Batik fabric in three patterns (three sets of three yards each). I plan on making clothes for future cruises with it.

I wish I was so talented, I can barely handle a button repair! I can cook the copper off of a pot, but sew...no way! I just cant seem to learn!

I know how it feels to see that special Lladro figurine. I have three of them and it was love at first sight. One is from Seville, one is from Germany, and another from the old Westerdam on an Alaskan cruise. I never regretted these purchases.

I bought the "birthday kiss" this time...the one with the St. Bernard sitting behind a birthday cake and a little girl kissing his face. I have had Saint Bernards and Mastiffs all my days, this was a must have! I usually also buy a crystal version of the ship we are on, and always a Christmas ornament.

Prior to meeting my husband I was cruising in the Meditterean as a 40th birthday present to myself. I am not usually drawn to jewelry but while in Florence I decided to window shop in a local store, as it had been recommended for it's gold. Well a beautiful gold bracelet, one I've never seen like it before or again called my name. It was hundreds of thousands of Lira and I sweated a bit about my extravagance at the time.:eek:

I now wear that bracelet with pride, as it is the nicest thing I've ever bought for myself! Each time I think of it, I am transported back to that wonderful day in Florence. Now that is priceless!:cool:

I don't shop much as I would rather take more cruises and trips with my money -- but several years ago we bought several mounted and framed butterflies from The Butterfly Gallery in San Juan (they do similar work to what I have recently seen at the Butterfly Farm on St. Martin) and we still really enjoy having these unique and majestic creatures flying across our living room wall.

a few years ago we were in Florence...saw a gorgeous ceramic basket with all kinds of vegetables...all finely sculpted in ceramic, glazed...just great. We went by that shop daily looking longingly at it. On our last day in Florence...we went in and surprise! it was affordable, and they promised it would arrive safely. and it did...before we got home. ( it is about 12 x 12 x8 and arrived in a box 36 x 36 x 36 with gelled in plac foam...it took hours to dig thru the foam to get to it!)

Again, every time I look at it I think of that great time in Florence.

I tried on a jacket in Skagway, Alaska - denim on one side, white rabbit on the other, it was perfect for Texas. It seemed a little pricey, so I didn't get it, but DH called the store and it showed up as a surprise at Christmas under the tree.:D :D

Beth

Liz & I don't do the jewelery side of shopping... But, when in a cab last month in Tortola, the driver was playing some great island music!!! Asked him about it, he said it was a local island band that just cut a new CD. Showed us the CD case & which store to find it... After lunch we took a stroll "downtown" & picked up the CD!!!

This is a great addition to the collection! I cruise around Missouri selling real estate playing island music... That's right, island music coming from a top down Miata in the Midwest during the summer! It's even better to "feel" the music during a snow storm! It's a great "unhooker" between customers! Also wonderful to have on the pontoon when floating on "our" lake during the summer! Just close your eyes, feel the sun, you're back to the islands...

We have been cruising for many, many yrs. Sadly the ships gift shops no longer carry the unusal items that they did yrs ago. Still buy small items and some costume jewelry, but not like we use to. Our 1st trip to St Thomas & St Croix was in 1962 and the buys were fantastic on just about everything. Over the yrs, I see more of a mall sameness to most of the shops. However, last Nov. we were in St Thomas on the Zuiderdam and were celebrating our 35th anniversary. Walked into Boochand's and fell in love with a beautiful 12 caret Diamond bracelet set in 18kt gold. Well, there was no way that I wanted to spend thousands of dollars for a bracelet, BUT, the sales manager made us a deal that we just couldn't resist. He wrapped it up, and we went right back to the ship and put it in our safe. I wear it only on special occasions and wish I was someone who could get use to wearing it everyday, but it is not me. Do I love it, you bet. One of the nicest memories from our cruising vacations.

We always try and buy a small painting (oil, acrylic, watercolor - doesn't matter which) from a local artist.

In Barcelona, I bought a beautiful oil of the pedestrian walkway (the name of the street currently escapes me), but it is a gorgeaous piece. The artist had several works on display and I fell in love with the one I purchased - a steal at $50 Euros.

We always try and buy a small painting (oil, acrylic, watercolor - doesn't matter which) from a local artist.

In Barcelona, I bought a beautiful oil of the pedestrian walkway (the name of the street currently escapes me), but it is a gorgeaous piece. The artist had several works on display and I fell in love with the one I purchased - a steal at $50 Euros.

Las Ramblas....

We try to pick up watercolors in each new destination. But we're well behind in framing and hanging them. Still have stuff from our March trip to Australia that's waiting to be framed! Not that there's a lot of wall space left either - time for a bigger house, I guess! :rolleyes:

-dave

Las Ramblas....

We try to pick up watercolors in each new destination. But we're well behind in framing and hanging them. Still have stuff from our March trip to Australia that's waiting to be framed! Not that there's a lot of wall space left either - time for a bigger house, I guess! :rolleyes:

-dave

That's it! Thanks dave.

Paintings. Some really good ones. Some not so good. Irish paintings, Hatian paintings, original ones from down in the islands and from street painters in Paris and 'round Europe.

Too many paintings. Too few walls....and a few stacked in the corner. We love 'em all and remember were each and every one was found.

I also have a drawer full of interesting men's watches and chronographs found along the way. I think it may be a fettish, but I'm afraid to ask.

Once in Haiti my son bought a huge tribal mask. It was almost as tall as me! I looked at him and asked how on earth he thought he was going to get it on the plane? Cost me $25.00 for an oversized item! Later to my horror I found out he traded 6 hamburgers from the guest BBQ for the mask!

Archived