Rude people

Canusa02

The buffet is setup in stations. Just go to the station that has what you want and get it! No problem.... and just ignore the rubes...:p

This post is not intended to flame Rick, but rather to respectfully disagree if he is implying that those who are rude are also rubes according to the definition (an unsophisticated person from the country) that he posted shortly afterward.

A rude person is a boor whether or not they come from the country or a cosmopolitan area and regardless of whether or not they, or others, perceive themselves to be sophisticated. Personally I think that discourteous behavior is more objectionable from a person who should know better (?educated and perhaps also sophisticated) than from an unsophisticated person whether or not they come from urban or rural settings.

I will cut some slack for the discourteous person who I suspect may not realize their behavior is rude. Down South we say "Bless his heart, he just doesn't know any better." And the discourteous behavior is overlooked for a while. On the other hand, those who think they are entitled to treat others discourteously because in their estimation they are better in some way are walking on the wrong side of me.

Excellent suggestion. If we are polite to them, their gratitude shows. Those of us who use public transit in SF develop a sensitivity to the hardships of the wheel chair users. I am always impressed how deft they are in maneuvering. I feel so proud that in SF we can provide mobility to those who need it.

Well since the person in the wheelchair isn't able to use the stairs since the first step is a killer.

The next time that happens if you use common courtesy you will step off the elevator and take the stairs.

Cindy

My late brother was a kind and polite person. When a stroke paralized him and robbed him of 90% of his speech, he got a scooter and did a remarkable job of creating a life for himself when most would have given up. He was sometime percieved as rude with his scooter. I was sometimes embarrased about it when I was with him. However, I concluded eventually that he and many others with severe disabilities, had to focus much more on what he was doing and on his mobility issues. He was not as aware as I might be about people in front, behind or beside.

I fear I will be flamed, but I would suggest that those of us who are able-bodied might be able to cut a little slack for those who must take such pains to navigate and rather than becoming irritated just thank the Lord it is not us on those scooters!

Being refered to as " like being stuck behind a Mack Truck" I think is unforgivable and is guilty of the kind of rudeness this thread is aimed at.

You're absolutely right, usually I can't even keep up with a Mack Truck.;)

Jim

Stevesan is right about Brits, we're the most courteous in the world

Was that said tongue on cheek? I personally think Aussies are the most courteous in the world because we are so laid back it takes a lot to upset us and then we call a spade a spade and tell the person to f### off and then buy him a drink - problem solved!

My late brother was a kind and polite person. When a stroke paralized him and robbed him of 90% of his speech, he got a scooter and did a remarkable job of creating a life for himself when most would have given up. He was sometime percieved as rude with his scooter. I was sometimes embarrased about it when I was with him. However, I concluded eventually that he and many others with severe disabilities, had to focus much more on what he was doing and on his mobility issues. He was not as aware as I might be about people in front, behind or beside.

I fear I will be flamed, but I would suggest that those of us who are able-bodied might be able to cut a little slack for those who must take such pains to navigate and rather than becoming irritated just thank the Lord it is not us on those scooters!

Dear Martha,

Your post is beautiful and I hope no one "flames" you. You obviously loved and miss your brother greatly.

While there are some who will be deliberately rude on their scooters, in most cases we should take a deep breath, be tolerant and realize that "there but for the grace of God go I."

Kathi

By the way -

If everyone (that was able) stopped using the lifts and used the stairs they would be fitter and healthier and there would be less congestion in the lifts - but then again - the stairs would then be busier and everyone would be arguing about which side they should stay on - left or right!

If everyone stopped using the Horizon Court for every meal and went to the dining room instead - everyone would not be putting on so much weight during the cruise and therefore they would be fitter and healthier - but then again - there would be lineups for the dining room and there would be arguments about why it was taking so long to get a table.

If everyone took their turn and waited patiently in line - everyone would be happy and healthier - but then again - no-one would have anything to complain about.

Just as well there is variety in this world otherwise it would be a very boring old world - don't you think?

If you treat people nice - you get nice back

If you treat people rudely - you get rude back.

We will be travelling on the coral princess early next year and this will be our first cruise with the majority being Americans. I have met some really obnoxious Americans in my time, however, the amount of lovely, genuinely friendly Americans I have met far outweigh the obnoxious ones.

Looking forward to our first trip to America!

Was that said tongue on cheek? I personally think Aussies are the most courteous in the world because we are so laid back it takes a lot to upset us and then we call a spade a spade and tell the person to f### off and then buy him a drink - problem solved!

I nominate our neighbours to the North, the ever-polite Canadians.

Thanks for posting this. To me it's a good reminder to take a deep breath and continue to be tolerant of others, who may have difficulties I know nothing about.

Thank you Liz. This is a wonderful and most informational post. We have a friend that had a stroke during "routine" surgery. A healthy guy and a hard worker. He can now walk with a cane, but is very slow. You can hear people sigh as we leave a restuarant because they might take an extra 30 seconds to get outside. He needs help from someone just to go to the bathroom with getting the pants up after. Sorry to be so descriptive, but as my Mother the Saint used to say - There but for the Grace of God go I......(lattitide - a great Mantra).

He has changed also in his personality. There was no brain damage but he was once a very patient type guy and never, ever complained. Now that is what he will do if things don't happen when he expects them to. I won't go on and on but would appreciate cutting those who need it, some slack.

Take the stairs up and down. Let the obvious folks who need the elevator use it.

I agree that there are others who are just plain ol' mean and think the world is their oyster. You can usually figure out who they are right away.

Jim - I wonder if they even know what the Capital of Canada is.....I bet not.

I guarantee they would have responded, Montreal, if asked:)

It is a shame that some people have to be rude. I too have experienced this first hand. Probably the most memorable is when I went to sit down for a triva session in the Wheelehose bar (Emerald P). When I sat down, this older gentleman screemed (yes I said screamed) that I was sitting in his team's area. I've also had to dodge the scootersand was basicly run over once because I couldn't get out of the way quick enough.

Bob

Thank you so much for the kind comments. The thing I most admired about my brother was that he bothered to make a life despite his disabilities. On a transfer in FL we got on the bus (with GREAT difficulty) and I directed him to a seat marked with the handicap logo. He tried to say that it was for a disabled person and to get himself a normal seat! I said in a loud voice (tongue in cheek) "Ian, sit down, if you were any more disabled you would be dead" We were both laughing, the rest of the bus was SHOCKED. I think they thought I was an abusive caregiver to talk to him like that! We had a lot of laughs because he had a great attitude:)

My husband and I have come up with the perfect solution to the buffet problem....... we go to the dining room. It is much more pleasant and you get served. Afterall it is a vacation and how often does this happen at home. I have vowed not to fight for my food. Bon Appetite!!!

That's very sweet of you, but trust me, there are rude Canadians. Of course, you have to do the degrees of rude :p

Just to put in my two-cents Canadian worth, I dislike it when those with strollers or carriages think that they have the right of way and run into my ankles, from behind!!! Not nice. :mad:

Just a note about the ablebodied people taking the stairs. It is great exercise and I did it when I could but now I'm one of those that look able bodied but take the elevator up one deck because steps are extremely painful to an arthritic right hip. I can go miles on the level but steps are a killer. I feel quilty taking an elevator for one deck up but knowing how great the pain will be if I climb is a winner for the elevator. There are some who look able but are not.

Thank you so much for the kind comments. The thing I most admired about my brother was that he bothered to make a life despite his disabilities. On a transfer in FL we got on the bus (with GREAT difficulty) and I directed him to a seat marked with the handicap logo. He tried to say that it was for a disabled person and to get himself a normal seat! I said in a loud voice (tongue in cheek) "Ian, sit down, if you were any more disabled you would be dead" We were both laughing, the rest of the bus was SHOCKED. I think they thought I was an abusive caregiver to talk to him like that! We had a lot of laughs because he had a great attitude:)

That is funny. There may be a few rude Canadians, but there is no country, IMHO, that has a better sense of humour......:D

We're not all that polite. You should hear how we talk about Americans when they're not listening. ;)

If they are listening, we'll just say what we have to say in French. :)

Excellent suggestion. If we are polite to them, their gratitude shows. Those of us who use public transit in SF develop a sensitivity to the hardships of the wheel chair users. I am always impressed how deft they are in maneuvering. I feel so proud that in SF we can provide mobility to those who need it.

This is so true. I hear a quick call to "Nancy" will get you a military jet!

P.S. Sorry I could'nt help myself. It was just to easy.

We're not all that polite. You should hear how we talk about Americans when they're not listening. ;)

But, please keep in mind that there are many U.S. Citizens formerly from Canada who do understand what you are saying.;) And I do listen to the talk

from all my cuzins:):D:)

We try to use the stairs as much as possible on cruises. Usually we have to be going more than a few flights before we decide to use the elevators. Maybe that's one reason I ended up not gaining weight on a two-week cruise, even though I probably ate twice as much as I do at home.:)

Thinking about able-bodied people who just take an elevator for one flight, I think of my father, who even after officially considered disabled for health reasons and eligible to park in handicapped spaces, would often park in an able-bodied space if available near his destination, to free up a blue space for someone else in need.

I am also thinking about this guy on our Alaskan cruise. We were walking down the hallway from our far forward cabin to the aft to get to our dining room. We caught up with this guy who probably was in his 70s or older, walking slowly with legs spread so he was basically taking up much of the width of the hallway. Instead of pushing him aside and noticing he had hearing aids, so he might not hear us anyway if we said "pardon us," we just continued walking patiently behind him.

Then one of his acquitances stepped out of a cabin, and tried waving to him to step aside, so that we can pass. But he didn't seem to catch on.

Later on, we saw him a couple of times later. Once in Victoria and once on formal night, dressed up in his tux. He seemed to be enjoying himself immensely, so we got a kick out of him. He was bald with dark glasses and reminded me, when I saw him in his tux, of the "Magic Mountain Man."

Mais je parle français, et mon homme aussi.

Etienne

Age and being Elite has little to do with it; he was just plain rude and probably would have been just as obnoxious if he were 30 years younger and Platinum. I once had someone in their 40s look at me as though I were gum on his shoe while saying, "I'm in a balcony on Aloha deck." Oh, yeah? So what? Who cares?

Yeah, like since when is Aloha the best deck anyway? Maybe they feel blessed because they are nearer the "hog trough" and the Speedo thong pool.

Reminds me of a tablemate last year on the Emerald....she looked across at us, and said...

"Wow, for Canadians, you really speak English very well.":eek:

When I travel to the centre of the universe (Toronto :D) for work, I am regularly praised for the quality of my spoken English. It's funny how we all have our little misconceptions.

I don't know who said it, but I have always liked the saying "Every country produces strong men and beautiful women". I guess it's safe to say that every nation also produces rude people.

Archived