Cruisewear: Sandals and Socks

Chelly

Nearly everyone packs sandals for cruises, right? At one time, wearing socks with sandals was a HUGE faux pas, attracting finger-pointing and snickering. Does anyone know if today, sandals and socks are an acceptable combination while cruising? What about in ports, especially Europe?

Nearly everyone packs sandals for cruises, right? At one time, wearing socks with sandals was a HUGE faux pas, attracting finger-pointing and snickering. Does anyone know if today, sandals and socks are an acceptable combination while cruising? What about in ports, especially Europe?

It is never an acceptable combination! :D

If one wants to wear socks, wear shoes.

Hi, Chelly:

You mean, like this?:)

http://media.timeoutnewyork.com/resizeImage/htdocs/export_images/620/620.x600.out.pubeye.jpg?

I'm going to relegate myself forever here to "outside the pale" (now there's a phrase with an interesting etymology, BTW) by revealing my complete lack of fashion savoir faire and announcing that I not only wear socks with my sandals, but also with my Birkenstocks.....:eek::eek::eek:

Guess what, I don't care:eek:. (It hasn't affected my sex life, yet).As far as I recall, lots of Europeans don't care, either. But don't listen to me, a self-acknowledged fashion pariah; listen to these folks:

http://fashionsalon.blogspot.com/2008/10/socks-and-sandals.html

If you're still worried, check out the fashion board here on CC:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182

M-a-M, don't your socks get all wet and grotty in Seattle if you're wearing them with sandals?

(NOT a look I care for at all, BTW, but to each his/her own.... I'd never try to deliberately hurt someone wearing them, unlike SOME fashion trends :D)

M-a-M, don't your socks get all wet and grotty in Seattle if you're wearing them with sandals?.......

:D)

Our summers are a little cold, here. Also, the look is not considered "complete" unless you are holding a Starbucks coffee as part of the ensemble:D;)

ps I won't ever wear socks/sandals on formal nights, promise ;-)

Actually, I quite often wear socks with sandals. Usually in the spring and fall, with slacks or levis (never shorts) and with the socks matching the color of the sandals (black), i.e., never white socks! But, then, I have trouble with my feet and sandals seem to be the most comfortable shoes to wear. Also, it saves on packing, as, when the ship gets to warmer climates I can still wear the sandals, just without the socks.

If I am in the land of sun and fun socks dont go anytime except to dinner. Flip flops or Topsiders!

Frank

Pipedreams.. you are a gem!! How could we ever forget the obligatory and oh so tacky "fanny pack." Even the name makes my inner fashionista want to run screaming in terror. :eek:

Must have this to complete the ensemble

289209_d.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No socks and sandals!!!!

dittoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not? Since one's feet sweat, then by wearing socks with your sandals, your socks are absorbing the sweat and your sandals are remaining dry (sweat AND odour-free)! Makes sense to me!

Hey, if I could get DH to even wear sandals I would let him wear socks with them:D

I'm one of those that say, nope - no socks with sandals, but hey it's your feet wear whatever you want to:):):) and have a great cruise:)

Sorry ya'll, socks with sandals (particularly slides) are the new "in" thing with kids. My 12 year old is currently wearing his addidas slides with BLACK socks and he is not the only one. Knee socks in obnoxious colors are also back. Oh, my eyes! Also, lots of people wear socks with Keens-not technically sandals but close enough.

Archived