Windjammer closed for Vision TA??

There was a posting on our 4/19 Vision Transatlantic Rollcall that the Windjammer was going to be closed for our 14-day sailing (gasp!) and the buffet would be set up on a floor of the dining room for breakfast and lunch and in the Solarium (double gasp!) for dinner. I can't imagine them making a change like that. Has anyone heard anything about this??

There was a posting on our 4/19 Vision Transatlantic Rollcall that the Windjammer was going to be closed for our 14-day sailing (gasp!) and the buffet would be set up on a floor of the dining room for breakfast and lunch and in the Solarium (double gasp!) for dinner. I can't imagine them making a change like that. Has anyone heard anything about this??

Thanks for posting this on the main board. I am planning to email Crown & Anchor on this. I have NEVER heard of a cruiseline taking out a MAIN dining venue during an active cruise, especially a transatlantic. Are you telling me they are going to renovate the ship while it is crossing they Atlantic???

I think that it was the Rhapsody after she left Galveston on her way to Asia.

I was thinking it might have been Rhapsody, but if it was, it was before she left Galveston. I was on her for the Galveston to San Diego cruise and the WJ was redone already when I got on.

But the more I think about it I think Rhapsody was in dry dock before this and they didn´t finish the WJ work and continued that on the following cruises.

I was thinking it might have been Rhapsody, but if it was, it was before she left Galveston. I was on her for the Galveston to San Diego cruise and the WJ was redone already when I got on.

But the more I think about it I think Rhapsody was in dry dock before this and they didn´t finish the WJ work and continued that on the following cruises.

I seem to recall that when Rhapsody came out of drydock the renovations to the Windjammer weren't complete, so it was closed for all or part of the first post drydock sailing. I read some threads on the subject, and quite a few people were unhappy with the situation!

I think that you are correct, Gunnar as that is my recollection as well. If it is planned that the Windjammer will be closed for the duration of the transatlantic, it seems that it is incumbent on RCI to alert its guests to this situation and allow them to decide how significant an inconvenience this will be to them. :rolleyes:

My first thought was...did that get posted on April 1st? Reading some of the other replies, wow, I am shocked that they would actually close the WJ for an entire cruise...I'd be really ticked off if I got aboard and found out then that a major dining venue was closed down for the cruise.

Hope you enjoy your sailing regardless of WJ being open or closed.

This seems to be RCCL's standard plan for dealing with the WJ being out of service. I can understand using it for something unexpected such as a pipe burst, fire, or even a dry dock run over but to plan to close it in advance like this just seems dumb and unfair.

This sounds horrible! On the Vision, the most expensive suites are under the Windjammer. Wow.

To some folks, the Windjammer is only a place to eat a buffet meal on the fly. For me, it is really quite special. On the Radiance class, you can eat outdoors, watching the wake. On the Vision, the Windjammer is up front, so you do have quite a wonderful view, especially if the ship is under way.

I would just cry if I were on a two week voyage--much of which is spent at sea--and found out one of the two main dining venues was done away with. Add to that the warping of the peaceful heaven of the Solarium pool.

Oy!

Leslie

This seems to be RCCL's standard plan for dealing with the WJ being out of service. I can understand using it for something unexpected such as a pipe burst, fire, or even a dry dock run over but to plan to close it in advance like this just seems dumb and unfair.

Wonder if someone will start the formal complain thread now...or if this thread will modify itself to address what RCCL should do to compensate those who couldn't eat in WJ? :D

Glad I am not on that run...I'd really be upset if a major service venue were closed for rehab on a 2 week cruise.

More than once I have done a TA and the lower decks got new bedding and furniture.

Also a buffet renewal. If my memory serves me right it was on HAL.

TA are not allways full so work will be done.

Hi. I'm the O.P. here. This is our first TA, so we are bound and determined to enjoy it, regardless of the WJ being closed. I'm hoping they will offer regular dining room service for breakfast and lunch in addition to the buffet being on one floor. I don't know if that means the other floor will be regular open seating and dining service or not. We will just have to enjoy the solarium during the daytime (which we did anyway). Compensation of some sort would be really nice, but I'm not holding my breath, and I'm trying not to get so bent out of shape that it will affect our enjoyment. We have one other RCCI cruise booked (Alaska in August), and even though we will at last have attained diamond status, we will definitely look elsewhere.

Having been on the Vision recently (march 8-15-09 ) I have it on good authority that the windjammer is being renovated on this trip prior to it going to Brazil. The upper island area was not accessable to everyone re (wheelchairs) and they are making the restaurant all one level . The only option was to do this during it's Atlantic crossing prior to the European Itinerary . After Europe the Vision is apparently off to Brazil then ???.

We never use the dining room any more. For us having the Windjammer closed would be a major issue.... enough to where I would seriously consider cancelling the cruise. And I would be really upset if I got on the ship and found this to be the case with no prior notification from RCI.

RCI could wet dock but does not. I know we slept under a jack hammer on our last cruise with them. Probably why I would not run to cruise with the line again. Closing the buffet is even more major. Have to wonder what they are thinking.

I feel for those folks on this TA as there are no speciality restaurants on the Vision class so all dining will be in the MDR. If the cruise is really full that could be very chaotic, if it is sailing at lower capacity it may be ok, but not having an option of an alternate restaurant for 14days may become rather tedious ...

Archived