Not doing formal night...where to eat?

ocean lover

We have decided not to do the formal nights.What are our options for dinner? Also, anyone have menues to specialty restaurants? We have done Sabatinis and loved it. I don't know anything about Chops Grill? Any suggestions? Thanks, Bertz 6 days and counting!!!!

We have decided not to do the formal nights.What are our options for dinner? Also, anyone have menues to specialty restaurants? We have done Sabatinis and loved it. I don't know anything about Chops Grill? Any suggestions? Thanks, Bertz 6 days and counting!!!!

There are sample menus on Princess' website for the specialty restaurants.

Pretty sure Chops Grille is only on RCI? (I could be wrong) Ate there on the Brilliance and Mariner of the Seas and they were exceptional.

From what I have read on the boards, and where I have personally dined, the premium restaurants (the ones you pay extra for) have all been outstanding. The food quality is much better, there is a more personal level of service, and the rooms themselves are better for a fine restaurant style experience.

IMO, a dinner or two at one of the special restaurants is a great thing to do if you can afford it.

We never do formal nights anymore (I already get the opportunity to dress up every weekday for work). On one of the formal nights we do the Ultimate Balcony Dinner, and the other night(s) we will go smart causual to one of the speciality restaurants.

Hi there... there's no "Chops Grill" on any Princess ship. Do you mean the Crown Grill or Sterling Steakhouse. Princess ships have one or the other and actually, they are a bit different with different menus. Regardless, if you don't want to do formal night, you can eat in the buffet, order the Ultimate Balcony Dinnery (extra cost) or go to one of the specialty restaurants such as Crown Grill/Sterling Steakhouse or Sabatini's.

What ship?

What ship?

Keith they are leaving on the ruby. now that has Sabatini's and the Crown Grill. also as others have mentioned you can do the buffet. We have done that on the last few cruises and boy the buffet has improved big time in my opinion.

Marilyn

I think if you are referring to Princess ships- on formal nights in traditional, anytime, or specialty dining you need to dress formal. I think the buffet is the only public venue to dress un formal. I think this is the correct answer. :)Refer to pg 10 & 15 in the cruise answer book. Maybe in the specialty venue you don't need to dress formal on formal nights, I am not sure? I thought this was in any of the dining rooms except buffet(Horizon Court).

I think if you are referring to Princess ships- on formal nights in traditional, anytime, or specialty dining you need to dress formal. I think the buffet is the only public venue to dress un formal. I think this is the correct answer. :)Refer to pg 10 & 15 in the cruise answer book. Maybe in the specialty venue you don't need to dress formal on formal nights, I am not sure? I thought this was in any of the dining rooms except buffet(Horizon Court).

As JPRLHR has said- "No they don't... The specialty restaurants are smart casual at all times."

OK, it is Sabatini's on all the ships and the other specialty restaurant has a variety of names including Bayou Cafe on the Island Princess along with the others named. We really like the Italian fare in Sabatini's and try to do that once per voyage. The other site usually specializes in steaks and for the most part are very good.

On nights that we don't do the dining room or either of the specialialty restaurants we will visit the buffet. The choices up there are usually very nice and the casual atmosphere is a refreshing change or welcomed after a hectic day. I'm sure you don't need formal attire here on FN.

We loved the Cafe Caribe buffet. One night was formal night.

We put on some jeans. We got a meal from the buffet and took it out to the pool. We had dinner while watching a movie under the stars.

Fantastic! Who needs uncomfortable formal clothes!

We were on Crown in February and did not do the formal nights. We ate in the Crown Grill on both evenings. We dressed smart casual and there were many folks dressed the same way. We really enjoyed our dinners in the Crown Grill.

We just tried the Cafe Caribe for dinner on our last cruise. A server met us in the buffet and took our salads and asked if she could find us a table. She then came back and got us and seated us and took our beverage order. The food selection was terrific and we had a very nice dinner. It was the first time we had tried the Cafe Caribe for dinner and it was a pleasant surprise. It's a little nicer than the Horizon Court but not as stuffy as the formal dining rooms.

No they don't... The speciality restaurants are smart casual at all times.

Returned from the Ruby on Saturday. They would not let my husband in the Crown Grill on formal night because he wasn't wearing a long sleave shirt. He was wearing a silk Tommy Bahama dress shirt. They were very rude. I did my research on these boards and have travelled with Princess on other ships and had no problems in the specialty dining rooms on formal nights but I was told that they have chosen to enforce this on the Ruby which is ridiculous. It ruined our night.:mad:

Returned from the Ruby on Saturday. They would not let my husband in the Crown Grill on formal night because he wasn't wearing a long sleave shirt. He was wearing a silk Tommy Bahama dress shirt. They were very rude. I did my research on these boards and have travelled with Princess on other ships and had no problems in the specialty dining rooms on formal nights but I was told that they have chosen to enforce this on the Ruby which is ridiculous. It ruined our night.:mad:

I actually think I saw you arguing with them. Was he wearing dockers or slacks? When I called to get a reservation they told me that they required formal attire. I explained that I had not brought a suit and they said that a long sleeved dress shirt with NO tie was ok. We went and had no problem. The second formal night we ate the buffet and they were serving crab and shrimp. Very good and the service was great. I'm glad I talked to the Maitre'd before going though.

Was this on a formal evening?

Wow..I'm sorry to hear this. We were on the Emerald in March and ate at the Crown Grill on the first formal night. My DH had on a Tommy Bahama shirt and he was just fine. Interesting how this varies from ship to ship. :(

Archived