A heads up for those that book deck 10 under pool deck

I just returned from IOS....we had a wonderful time....ship is AWESOME! We were in Owners Suite 1620....we absolutely LOVED the room but the location under the pool deck was just WAY to noisy. You would hear pool deck chairs every night being set up from around 3-4am. I am a light sleeper so I was woken up each evening when this occurred. My wife who is a very sound sleeper was even woken a couple of times.....she though they were dropping anchor once:eek: One night was so bad that it sounded as they were bowling up on deck at 4am. I called the front desk and also walked up at the same time to find the crew pulling the loungers off the stack and tossing them in place. After complaining it did get quieter but you would still hear the commotion. I think that that area around 1620/1320 is probally worse than most due to the large amount of loungers located there....but I will warn the noise radiates....so the commotion does not have to be right above you....it can be above and over several rooms and you still hear it.....again loved the room but will stay clear of ANYTHING under the pool deck again.

DH and I had a bad experience having a cabin under the pool deck. Scraping deck chairs in the wee hours. We vowed never again. From that point forward, we always book a cabin sandwiched between two passenger decks, or at least under a potentially quiet area, like maybe the spa.

Thank you for the heads up. We are scheduled for a JS on Monarch next month and I thought it very odd the priceiest cabins are UNDER the pool deck. That made no sense to me. Here's hoping for some quite times.

Erika

Thank you for the heads up. We are scheduled for a JS on Monarch next month and I thought it very odd the priceiest cabins are UNDER the pool deck. That made no sense to me. Here's hoping for some quite times.

Erika

Great point. I don't get that either. :confused:

Your post got me worried. I'm due to sail on Voyager of the Seas in June, and have booked an Owner suite 1308, on deck 10, under the pool deck.

Looking at the deckplans, I think the Independence of the Seas has similar layout as the Voyager.

I have previously started a thread asking for people's opinion about possible noise from the pool deck. Most of the responses were reassuring. One person even said that the ceiling of the suite was not the floor of the pool deck!

I am a light sleeper, therefore I always book a room located on the floor with staterooms above and below. Unfortunately on this cruise, the suites are located on deck 10, below the pool deck. So I don't have the option to change suite now.

Could I ask the concierge to refrain the cleansers from dragging the loungers after midnight, so that I could get at least 8 hours of sleep? Or better still, contact RCCL and request thick gym mats to be laid on the deck above the suites? (Voyager is going in Drydock for renovation next month).

Edited by sho
spelling

they (suuposedly) locate the best cabins under the pool area due to the proximity to the pool area....:rolleyes::confused:

i agree...makes no sense.....we had cabins like that twice..on Serenade and Enchantment....(that's where the JSs are for the most part on those ships!)

Yikes......and on voyager class ships, don't book the cabins UNDER the royal suite due to the marble floor in there, the piano that can be loud and the stereo.....(if you aren't a light sleeper it might be ok, or if you aren't a big cabin dweller. I am NOT a light sleeper and it was a MAJOR issue!)

There are certain posters on here(one in particular) who are adamant that there is NO Noise in any cabins on Deck 10. Well, they are WRONG! I'm sure there are some cabins that will have no noise, some that will have some noise (we were in one of these in a JS on Brilliance) and some that will have a lot of noise like the OP experienced. It is just so annoying when someone states unequivocally (sp?)... "you won't hear any noise" from above in Deck 10 cabins when there are so many variables involved in whether you will or will not hear noise. Oh, and the bit about the ceiling of your cabin is not the floor of the deck above is hogwash, IMHO!!! We heard noise in our Deck 10 cabin.....so there!!!!

Yikes......and on voyager class ships, don't book the cabins UNDER the royal suite due to the marble floor in there, the piano that can be loud and the stereo.....(if you aren't a light sleeper it might be ok, or if you aren't a big cabin dweller. I am NOT a light sleeper and it was a MAJOR issue!)

AWWW, great.......:eek: I booked a JS under the RS (hump was available) for January. Gotta think about this one..........

We had the same problem on the Majesty last week.

Just take some soft ear plugs to sleep with. You won't hear a thing. I should have remembered them, because we usually take them in case of noisy neighbors.

However, we also complained to Customer Service about children running up there after curfew, and they took THAT very seriously!! The crew securing the loungers is just part of their routine, but they might take care of it before 11 PM, in my opinion.

Anyway, take the ear plugs and you'll be fine.

One person even said that the ceiling of the suite was not the floor of the pool deck!

That person says that every time the question is asked. Even if people have chimed in and said they did hear noise from above.

I've never been below the pool area myself so won't say whether or not you will hear noise. I have been below the Windjammer on a few ships and while we did hear some noise, it was distant and did not bother us - but I do not say you don't hear anything.

I'm with pcur, I always travel with ear plugs. That way any outside noises aren't a problem.

There are certain posters on here(one in particular) who are adamant that there is NO Noise in any cabins on Deck 10. Well, they are WRONG! I'm sure there are some cabins that will have no noise, some that will have some noise (we were in one of these in a JS on Brilliance) and some that will have a lot of noise like the OP experienced. It is just so annoying when someone states unequivocally (sp?)... "you won't hear any noise" from above in Deck 10 cabins when there are so many variables involved in whether you will or will not hear noise. Oh, and the bit about the ceiling of your cabin is not the floor of the deck above is hogwash, IMHO!!! We heard noise in our Deck 10 cabin.....so there!!!!

I know exactly which poster you are referring to and it makes me so mad everytime I read it!!

We had a noisy JS on Deck 10 of Serenade..1094... lots of early morning and late night noise from the WJ above.

BTW, Guest Relations provided us with complimentary earplugs when we complained!

Your post got me worried. I'm due to sail on Voyager of the Seas in June, and have booked an Owner suite 1308, on deck 10, under the pool deck.

Looking at the deckplans, I think the Independence of the Seas has similar layout as the Voyager.

I have previously started a thread asking for people's opinion about possible noise from the pool deck. Most of the responses were reassuring. One person even said that the ceiling of the suite was not the floor of the pool deck!

I am a light sleeper, therefore I always book a room located on the floor with staterooms above and below. Unfortunately on this cruise, the suites are located on deck 10, below the pool deck. So I don't have the option to change suite now.

Could I ask the concierge to refrain the cleansers from dragging the loungers after midnight, so that I could get at least 8 hours of sleep? Or better still, contact RCCL and request thick gym mats to be laid on the deck above the suites? (Voyager is going in Drydock for renovation next month).

I bet I know who said this as she says this on every thread like this:rolleyes:. Of course that´s nonsense.

To me the cabins on the highest cabin deck, usually right under the pool deck is primary real estate and I try to book it whenever possible. I have had many cabins on that deck, being under the pool, under the Windjammer and I was even right under the table tennis. However my experience has been very pleasantly and there wasn´t a single day where I had noise issues. I´m not saying it can´t happen, but IMO it´s not the norm.

AWWW, great.......:eek: I booked a JS under the RS (hump was available) for January. Gotta think about this one..........

9618?? never again! it depends on who has that cabin and what they are doing.....we'll never book it again...and some of my roll call pals who had it on 2 future cruises changed it to the one they had at the end of the hump. we tried earplugs...they didn't help.

i will say that at least in the JS under the WJ we had, the noise wasn't constant...it was like rolling carts at weird times of day...and the deck chair noise WAS around 4-5 in the AM but we didn't hear that every day.

out of 8 cruises we've heard noise on 3 of them from above and 1 from below (that was an aft JS on enchantment that was over the karaoke bar!)

We had the same problem on the Majesty last week.

Just take some soft ear plugs to sleep with. You won't hear a thing. I should have remembered them, because we usually take them in case of noisy neighbors.

However, we also complained to Customer Service about children running up there after curfew, and they took THAT very seriously!! The crew securing the loungers is just part of their routine, but they might take care of it before 11 PM, in my opinion.

Anyway, take the ear plugs and you'll be fine.

Unfortunately this may be the case for you, and that's great, but being the World's Lightest Sleeper, earplugs wouldn't cut it for me. I have the highest-rated (decibel-wise) earplugs but they're very hard to sleep with because they tend to pop out. I can also hear things with them. I sleep with a white noise machine ON MY PILLOW, flipped upside down so the speaker is facing up, and volume on 10. I still get woken up from the slightest noise. Someone talking in a cabin next to me wakes me up. If it's the slightest sound that I can hear when I'm awake, it's guaranteed to wake me up when I'm asleep. Chairs dragging around above me would be absolute torture.

It sucks to be me! :)

I guess it is a gamble I am going to have to take. I am booked on the Radiance on deck 10, but I needed at least a JS. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be not as bad as some say, and also just as good as others say. Fingers are crossed.

:confused:

9618?? never again! it depends on who has that cabin and what they are doing.....we'll never book it again...and some of my roll call pals who had it on 2 future cruises changed it to the one they had at the end of the hump. we tried earplugs...they didn't help.

i will say that at least in the JS under the WJ we had, the noise wasn't constant...it was like rolling carts at weird times of day...and the deck chair noise WAS around 4-5 in the AM but we didn't hear that every day.

out of 8 cruises we've heard noise on 3 of them from above and 1 from below (that was an aft JS on enchantment that was over the karaoke bar!)

Yep, that's the one. I have 9318 next month, but it was not available in Jan. If I wind up staying there, I hope I have considerate neighbors. However, I will keep checking around and see if I can't move it...or change the date. I still have time.

The GS I had on Vision was under the Windjammer. I only heard the carts rolling very early on two mornings. I must have been sleeping well those other days:D. I never heard any foot traffic during the day, so it was pretty quiet most of the time.

Just wondering..........maybe a piano is a nice touch, but does one REALLY NEED it????:eek:

Believe me, unless you are a very very sound sleeper, the carts will wake you every morning if you are under the WJ. The pool deck , if you are headed to Alaska will not be a problem on deck 10. The JS are real nice on Radiance and we have stayed in them 2 times on deck 10, but I will never do it again. We have booked a D1 on May 11 that will be just fine, except for the tiny shower.

WE sailed Voyager in Feb. 2010 in statefoom 1308.

Every morning about 4 am we would here the deck hands adjusting all the chairs by the pool and it would continue for about 30 minutes.

This was not nearly as disturbing and the poor quality food in the main dining room ar the terrible body oder of our waiter.

Good Luck

I hope you enjoy it more then we did

Matt

Edited by CruiseTillDead

That is correct....the floor on the pool deck is not your ceiling...but that doesn't make much difference. There is a hollow space between the ceiling of deck 10 and the floor of the pool deck, this seems to make think almost worse IMO as that space radiates the noise the I mentioned in my post....think of clanking a pot with a lid on it...the noise is very hollow sounding but travels through that space....that is why I said that it doesn't matter much if the scraping or dropping of chairs is right above you or a few cabins down....you still hear it. When they were setting up chairs and I went up to look they were actually in the middle of the pool deck but it sounded as though they were directly overhead.

I am booking again in on OS so I checked out and talked to people staying in OS's in other locations....what I discovered is that the best OS's on Freedom class are mid hump or aft of mid. 1334 (front hump has bathroom noise from above)....the public womens room is above it and you hear constant flushing, you can even hear it in the hallway. I also had a friend in the RS 1640 and spent time in there....as soon as I mention the flushing problem with 1334 and asked if he has noticed anything since the mens room is above his bedroom he laughed and said he was hearing flushing and couldn't figure it out....we stood in his bathroom and you would hear the above toilet flush 5 times a minute easy....he said it also went through the night with the flushing sound occurring as well as hearing the stall doors slamming. 1338 is aft hump and directly under a heavily carpeted area of Portofino as 1638 is the same but under Chops....talked to people staying in the cabin as well as stood in it for at least 10 minutes and all was very quiet....people staying in it said they have heard almost no noise at all. My one concern about 1638 as it's right next to the Royal Suite and the spa for that suite is right up against where the divider is on the balcony...thus late night noise is a possibility if they like to use the balcony spa late. Also my friend in RS 1640 turned the spa water on the balcony to fill it, got distracted and left the water running for over an hour:eek:the hump below looked like a waterfall.....people under were less than happy as we were entering the harbor into San Juan....so I would stay clear of anything under the RS for that purpose and the piano noise....face it anyone staying in the RS is going to use the heck out of it.....my friend had people in it almost constantly parting. OS 1650 and 1350 are also mostly under a carpeted area of either Chops or Portofino but part of the room is also directly under the kitchen for them also.....so I have a bit of reservation....however the person I spoke to in 1638 said they were on Freedom in 1350 and it was very quiet. OS 1334 is probably fine as it under a completely carpeted area of Portofinoand very private as far as balcony as it's center hump but I will say there is a lot of traffic from the hall entering right in front of the door...it was also a great ring and run location for the kids at night:rolleyes:also

We really like the 24 series of JS. 9624 and 9324. 96 is the side with the RS, but is just 1 cabin back with a JS above it. Sure you'll have the slant of the hump, but being in the outer one we have never found it bad and also get less wind that way.

Not that I want you booking my room :D:D:D, but its a good idea I don't mind sharing.

Unfortunately this may be the case for you, and that's great, but being the World's Lightest Sleeper, earplugs wouldn't cut it for me. I have the highest-rated (decibel-wise) earplugs but they're very hard to sleep with because they tend to pop out. I can also hear things with them. I sleep with a white noise machine ON MY PILLOW, flipped upside down so the speaker is facing up, and volume on 10. I still get woken up from the slightest noise. Someone talking in a cabin next to me wakes me up. If it's the slightest sound that I can hear when I'm awake, it's guaranteed to wake me up when I'm asleep. Chairs dragging around above me would be absolute torture.

It sucks to be me! :)

I dunno amybeth....I think I could compete with you as the lightest sleeper. ;) I do the same with my white noise machine...except mine has a headphone jack, so I wear headphones plugged in and blast the noise. I can't hear any outside noise that way. Not even my husband's snoring and that is like a Harley coming through the room!! He better wake me up if the alarm sounds. :)

That is correct....the floor on the pool deck is not your ceiling...but that doesn't make much difference. There is a hollow space between the ceiling of deck 10 and the floor of the pool deck, this seems to make think almost worse IMO as that space radiates the noise the I mentioned in my post....think of clanking a pot with a lid on it...the noise is very hollow sounding but travels through that space....that is why I said that it doesn't matter much if the scraping or dropping of chairs is right above you or a few cabins down....you still hear it. When they were setting up chairs and I went up to look they were actually in the middle of the pool deck but it sounded as though they were directly overhead.

I am booking again in on OS so I checked out and talked to people staying in OS's in other locations....what I discovered is that the best OS's on Freedom class are mid hump or aft of mid. 1334 (front hump has bathroom noise from above)....the public womens room is above it and you hear constant flushing, you can even hear it in the hallway. I also had a friend in the RS 1640 and spent time in there....as soon as I mention the flushing problem with 1334 and asked if he has noticed anything since the mens room is above his bedroom he laughed and said he was hearing flushing and couldn't figure it out....we stood in his bathroom and you would hear the above toilet flush 5 times a minute easy....he said it also went through the night with the flushing sound occurring as well as hearing the stall doors slamming. 1338 is aft hump and directly under a heavily carpeted area of Portofino as 1638 is the same but under Chops....talked to people staying in the cabin as well as stood in it for at least 10 minutes and all was very quiet....people staying in it said they have heard almost no noise at all. My one concern about 1638 as it's right next to the Royal Suite and the spa for that suite is right up against where the divider is on the balcony...thus late night noise is a possibility if they like to use the balcony spa late. Also my friend in RS 1640 turned the spa water on the balcony to fill it, got distracted and left the water running for over an hour:eek:the hump below looked like a waterfall.....people under were less than happy as we were entering the harbor into San Juan....so I would stay clear of anything under the RS for that purpose and the piano noise....face it anyone staying in the RS is going to use the heck out of it.....my friend had people in it almost constantly parting. OS 1650 and 1350 are also mostly under a carpeted area of either Chops or Portofino but part of the room is also directly under the kitchen for them also.....so I have a bit of reservation....however the person I spoke to in 1638 said they were on Freedom in 1350 and it was very quiet. OS 1334 is probably fine as it under a completely carpeted area of Portofinoand very private as far as balcony as it's center hump but I will say there is a lot of traffic from the hall entering right in front of the door...it was also a great ring and run location for the kids at night:rolleyes:also

I just want to make a correction to the above post as I was rushing before....sorry....1638/1338=1648/1348...and center hump is 1340 NOT 1334....OS1334 is front hump and under that bathroom as mentioned.