A heads up for those that book deck 10 under pool deck

As I am sailing on Vogayer of the Seas in June, having booked an owner's suite on deck 10 under the pool deck, I am going to contact RCCL to raise my concerns about possible noise problem in the middle of the night.

I understand that the cleaners have to do their job to tidy the pool deck and put the sunbeds/chairs in place. But they don't have to wait till 3-4am to do the job. The sun sets long before midnight, and no guest will lie on the sunbed or swim in the outdoor pool at night. So management should make sure that all the necessary cleaning and dragging be done before midnight, unless there is a late night pool party on that evening.

Anyway not only will I be bringing my ear plugs, I'll also bring the noise-cancelling headphone which I usually take onto planes.

We love to use the pool at night! Swimming under the stars!

• 2 months later...

we were in JS 1374 on IOS and all i ever heard was a very faint wheeling of food carts? at 3am-ish. i think we were under Jade/Windjammer. we never heard foot traffic or chairs/tables moving. i might try to avoid this area on future cruises, but it didnt bother me enough to avoid it entirely if it was the only option.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in suite 1568 on both the Freedom of the Seas, and a couple years ago on Mariner of the Seas. It was easy to remember the cabin, by getting the same number both times. Never heard a sound, slept all night had to set an alarm to get up. No noise from above.

Safe travels.

• 2 weeks later...
we booked 1268 GS for December this year on explorer [sister ship?] and I searched the boards to find one person who stayed in that room before. she said it was very quiet, that's why I took it. she also posted amazing pictures of the room.. overall, big thanks to her. The cabin is under the solarium bar.

Out of all our cruises, only one cabin was a huge problem with noise. It was on an NCL ship and we were next to a handicapped room. The layout is different in those rooms on NCL vs regular rooms. We could hear their TV all day and night, it was awful and extremely loud. We complained non-stop without any help whatsoever. I would never EVER book a cabin next to handicapped room again in my life. I generally look for same-type cabins around the room I'm booking, and no connecting doors.

Does 1268 have an updated flat screen TV? Also...does it have the overhang from deck 11 on the balcony or is there more sun? Can you please direct me to those pics of 1268? Thanks;)

We were on the Radiance cabin 1052 right under the pool deck and it was absolutely horrible - 3 out of 5 nights there were "Beach Parties" - two that lasted til 12:30 and one lasted til 1:30 - the third night I called Guest Relations and no one answered the phone so I called Maintenance when another round of loud banging started for 3/4 of an hour.

It was our first Grand Suite and we had access to the Concierge Lounge - which was a bonus so we thought - and plus two leaks from the toilet which was not pretty - so other than the terrific concierge and friends we met - was not a good experience:)

• 4 weeks later...
I guess it is a gamble I am going to have to take. I am booked on the Radiance on deck 10, but I needed at least a JS. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be not as bad as some say, and also just as good as others say. Fingers are crossed.

:confused:

We just got back from being in an OS. You do hear some noise above. If you have ever lived in an apartment building you probably won't find it as grating. If you have lived in a house your whole life, it can be a bit disconcerting.

For what it is worth, the noise isn't extensive; a couple of minutes at best. Besides, all the added perks that comes with the room more than makes up for it.

• 1 year later...

The past years I have sailed with only RCI and have never had a problem with being booked on deck ten. It might depend on the fact that I am one point (1!) away from being a Diamond and we travel with a cruiser that is pretty far into his Diamond Plus status. I have stayed in JS, GS and OS and have found that the sound does not bother me. I'm a heavy sleeper, so I'm not the one to judge. My daughter hasn't had a problem. Over a five year period a light sleeper not waking up! That is just one person though. Maybe she is just a kid and too excited to get to the next day. Kids stay up LATE! If you don't have to be close to the pool and are worried, and as long as you are not staying in GS, OS, or RS you can find a room on deck 9, which is in between to cabin decks. The Oasis Class is the exception. You may want to book on deck 12 or 10 instead or 14 to avoid noise level. If you want to upgrade from OS to CL you will have NO noise problem because you are on the top deck. Hope this helps!:):):)

I just returned from IOS....we had a wonderful time....ship is AWESOME! We were in Owners Suite 1620....we absolutely LOVED the room but the location under the pool deck was just WAY to noisy. You would hear pool deck chairs every night being set up from around 3-4am. I am a light sleeper so I was woken up each evening when this occurred. My wife who is a very sound sleeper was even woken a couple of times.....she though they were dropping anchor once:eek: One night was so bad that it sounded as they were bowling up on deck at 4am. I called the front desk and also walked up at the same time to find the crew pulling the loungers off the stack and tossing them in place. After complaining it did get quieter but you would still hear the commotion. I think that that area around 1620/1320 is probally worse than most due to the large amount of loungers located there....but I will warn the noise radiates....so the commotion does not have to be right above you....it can be above and over several rooms and you still hear it.....again loved the room but will stay clear of ANYTHING under the pool deck again.

Anytime you are directly below the pool deck, you will likely experience this type of noise at least one night of your cruise. The degree of noise depends upon your luck where the crew decides to stack the chairs at night. Perhaps it bothers some more than others. We decided to try Deck 14 on Oasis this spring in a JS. We got this room through a JS guarantee. The noise was not terrible, but it was exactly what Steve decribed. About 30 minutes of pushing and dropping chairs between 3 and 4 in the morning. Never again, with so many other choices why take the risk. Just say no the the deck under the pool deck

I had the same experience on a HAL ship. I was upgraded to a suite at check in and was so excited. The suite was great but it was right underneath the pool deck. Every morning at 5 AM for 10 days I was awakened by the sound of deck chairs being pushed and pulled around and the sound of the hoses as they washed the deck down. It was the first time that I learned to be very careful about knowing what is above you and below you when you book a cabin.

Has anyone stayed in this cabin? It's next to the RS on deck 10. I have it on hold for an early March sailing. Any noise from the RS or above? Also does anyone know where the Muster station is for this cabin? Last cruise I was in the MDR. In March, leaving from Bayonne, it would be nice if the Muster is inside.

We stayed in GS 1564 on FOS, it was right under the overhanging hot tub and it was really quiet. Not only that but we had an extra large balcony with solid metal dividers and lots of shade from the overhang. Great suite, would book it again in a heart beat!

• 1 year later...
That is correct....the floor on the pool deck is not your ceiling...but that doesn't make much difference. There is a hollow space between the ceiling of deck 10 and the floor of the pool deck, this seems to make think almost worse IMO as that space radiates the noise the I mentioned in my post....think of clanking a pot with a lid on it...the noise is very hollow sounding but travels through that space....that is why I said that it doesn't matter much if the scraping or dropping of chairs is right above you or a few cabins down....you still hear it. When they were setting up chairs and I went up to look they were actually in the middle of the pool deck but it sounded as though they were directly overhead.

I am booking again in on OS so I checked out and talked to people staying in OS's in other locations....what I discovered is that the best OS's on Freedom class are mid hump or aft of mid. 1334 (front hump has bathroom noise from above)....the public womens room is above it and you hear constant flushing, you can even hear it in the hallway. I also had a friend in the RS 1640 and spent time in there....as soon as I mention the flushing problem with 1334 and asked if he has noticed anything since the mens room is above his bedroom he laughed and said he was hearing flushing and couldn't figure it out....we stood in his bathroom and you would hear the above toilet flush 5 times a minute easy....he said it also went through the night with the flushing sound occurring as well as hearing the stall doors slamming. 1338 is aft hump and directly under a heavily carpeted area of Portofino as 1638 is the same but under Chops....talked to people staying in the cabin as well as stood in it for at least 10 minutes and all was very quiet....people staying in it said they have heard almost no noise at all. My one concern about 1638 as it's right next to the Royal Suite and the spa for that suite is right up against where the divider is on the balcony...thus late night noise is a possibility if they like to use the balcony spa late. Also my friend in RS 1640 turned the spa water on the balcony to fill it, got distracted and left the water running for over an hour:eek:the hump below looked like a waterfall.....people under were less than happy as we were entering the harbor into San Juan....so I would stay clear of anything under the RS for that purpose and the piano noise....face it anyone staying in the RS is going to use the heck out of it.....my friend had people in it almost constantly parting. OS 1650 and 1350 are also mostly under a carpeted area of either Chops or Portofino but part of the room is also directly under the kitchen for them also.....so I have a bit of reservation....however the person I spoke to in 1638 said they were on Freedom in 1350 and it was very quiet. OS 1334 is probably fine as it under a completely carpeted area of Portofinoand very private as far as balcony as it's center hump but I will say there is a lot of traffic from the hall entering right in front of the door...it was also a great ring and run location for the kids at night:rolleyes:also

We booked 1706 on The Freedom... wondering if that was a wise choice. We love Jr Suites.

Roll Tide indeed! RTR RhodieBama ( lil Alabamian in Rhode Island)