4/26/09 Live from Carnival Splendor !!!

Wennfred

• Administrators

Just a quick update because it took me forever to read my email.

Last night, I did receive a call about 6:30pm from Guest Services (this was in response to my visit earlier in the day). They mentioned that there were no port changes as of yet, that the "flu is contained in Mexico City and not the ports we were visiting" and that they don't want to alarm the passengers. It just goes to show you the disconnect between shipside and shoreside. That's just an observation and not a critique.

We've heard nothing so far this morning; one of my host mentioned he felt we hadn't moved very far at all based on the ship's map position. I really can't tell from that.

Today the sun is finally shining....thank goodness! I just came from the Splendido, and although I didn't mention it yesterday, they were again doleing out the bacon. You could not help yourself to your portion, someone had to serve it to you. Today I asked 'why can't i help myself". He said something about the bacon being 'hot". HA HA. So, I'm calling him the BACONMEISTER for the rest of the trip! Funny stuff!

Last night was "cruise elegant" night. There were many different types of "dress" -- from gowns to simple pant suits for women -- although the "little black dress" seemed to win out. For the men: shirts w/ ties and dress slacks all the way up to full tuxes. Ah, there's nothing like a guy in a tux, I always say.

I had the lobster/shrimp dish -- it was excellent. I also tried their 'new" Farmer's Salad. Cukes, tomatoas, two kinds of olives, red & green pepper, and farmer cheese. Excellent! For dessert, some kind of pastry w/ apples and caramel. That pastry was perfect -- crisp and fresh like someone just made it for me. Nice.

I'm off to find a lounge chair...need some color for this Northeast gal!

See ya later.

Laura

Today the sun is finally shining....thank goodness! I just came from the Splendido, and although I didn't mention it yesterday, they were again doleing out the bacon. You could not help yourself to your portion, someone had to serve it to you. Today I asked 'why can't i help myself". He said something about the bacon being 'hot". HA HA. So, I'm calling him the BACONMEISTER for the rest of the trip! Funny stuff!

Laura

We were on this same trip in Feb-09 (but on the Pride) and that was the 1st time we had also encountered a Baconmeister on any of cruises. Must be something new! All other offerings of the buffet (including the items right next to the bacon) were still all - serve yourself.

Captain came on the ships PA system and gave us a speech about the Swine Flu issue, that the ship is aware of whats going on in Mexico and that the CDC is recommending, He will keep us informed but will tell us if there are any changes tonight at 5pm.

Off to the Slot Machine Tournament now.

Fred

• Administrators

We just received word that we will be stopping in Cabo San Lucas for "technical reasons" this afternoon at approximately 2:45pm our time (4:45 ET I would guess). No one will be debarking. The captain mentioned that there is no sickness on the ship, and that no cases of the flu have been reported in any of the ports we were scheduled to visit on this sailing.

That said, we're speculating that we'll be heading back north after Cabo. Maybe San Diego and Catalina. That's your best "host guess", actuallyl. :)

Laura

PS: Don't really "get" the bacon gig....guess there's lots of bacon hogging on this sailing! LOL - boy I crack myself up!

We just received word that we will be stopping in Cabo San Lucas for "technical reasons" this afternoon at approximately 2:45pm our time (4:45 ET I would guess). No one will be debarking. The captain mentioned that there is no sickness on the ship, and that no cases of the flu have been reported in any of the ports we were scheduled to visit on this sailing.

That said, we're speculating that we'll be heading back north after Cabo. Maybe San Diego and Catalina. That's your best "host guess", actuallyl. :)

Laura

PS: Don't really "get" the bacon gig....guess there's lots of bacon hogging on this sailing! LOL - boy I crack myself up!

That would blow big time ....i'd rather go around in circles down where it's warmer.

Thanks, Laura! Oh man, what a bummer for Southern Cal natives....

But I'm confused...wasn't PV supposed to be the first stop? Did they just decide to not go down that far? Heck, I'd prefer to sit at anchor in the warmer sun than head back up to freeze at sea in this direction - the forecast for this week isn't exactly balmy!

Sounds like you guys are making the best of it -- hope Fred wins that tournament!

Laura

Yeah head back to Calif. where there are cases of the flu here:p:rolleyes:

That sounds like what you will be doing......you should have been way pass Cabo by now.........

Worst part is you won't be able to get off the ship in Cabo.......but the Mariner passengers have been in Cabo since this morning......

FWIW, we had a baconmeister on the Destiny earlier in the month. Thought because it was a Spring Break cruise and something like 800 kids were on board was the reason.

Hi Laura,

We were on a Celebrity cruise in March and we were served everything. Other than the salads at the buffet, we were seved nearly everything else, even the bread.

I hope you are all have a great time despite all the speculation regarding the swine flu.

jcg

Laura

I would "guess" the stop in Cabo, being a foreign port, is to satisfy the Jones Act. Since the SPLENDOR would normally go PAST Cabo at this point in the cruise, I'm thinking your "best host guess" will be very accurate.:D

Returning to American ports, San Diego and Catalina, is just the prudent thing to do until they get more information on the spread of this flu.

Really enjoy these daily reports from you and Fred. Too bad you couldn't experience the Riviera as I have many times. Enjoy your "Americanized" cruise. :)

FWIW, we had a baconmeister on the Destiny earlier in the month. Thought because it was a Spring Break cruise and something like 800 kids were on board was the reason.

We had the same guy on the Spirit a month ago and we had only 350 kids on board. But DH loves bacon so always asked for more (6-8 pieces) and there was no problem giving it to him, he would never waste bacon!

There's loads of storage, that's a great thing! And if you can ignore the Flamingo Pink moulding in the room, the rest of the colors are a tasteful "spicey" terracotta. The dreaded attacking shower curtain still exists on this class of ships -- all I have to say is "WHY"???

Laura

Thanks for adding your thoughts as DW and I look forward to our Oct cruise. We have always found embarkation to be very easy in Long Beach! I have an easy fix for the attacking shower curtain, we bring a few bag clips and clip them at the bottom of the curtain and it keeps it in place nicely.

Got the lowest score at the Slot tournment, oh well....Lunch was very good, to me they have a new menu for Lunch down in the dining room, I was expecting the Ribs and Fish and Chips on Tuesday but no, it was all new to me. They had:

Neptune's Chef Salad

Oven fresh whole wheat baguette filled with tuna

Hay an Stray which is their pasta

Pan fried fillet of idaho rainbow trout

Chinese Pepper Steak

and the usual Create your own burger

I had the Chinese Pepper Steak and the Cheeseburger, it was very good.

I asked the Purser today as I always do on every cruise about a possible upgrade once onboard, and she told me no as they always do.

Its very nice and sunny out. Im about to take a nap and get up when its time to get up.

see ya all later.

Fred

I think I see Splendor there now.

http://www.cabovillas.com/campage.asp?id=2

I can see land on the Splendor webcam.

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/cruisecams/info-carnival-splendor.php

• Administrators

Well, I am sorry the flu thing affected your ports of call (someday I'm going to use that crystal ball of mine to find out the lottery numbers in advance, and cruise year round! :D).

It does sound like you are all having a fun and relaxing cruise -- hope you had a good nap, Fred, and thanks for the input on the lunch menu. The trout sounds really good. :)

Fred

Make sure you tell Wendy that all of us at CC wish her a HAPPY 40TH BIRTHDAY!!!!!

I'm way past that number-so tell her from my experience to enjoy every moment of her 40th cause they go by quickly after that.

Happy Birthday to you

Happy Birthday to you

Happy Birthday dear Wendy

Happy Birthday to you.

trust me-be glad I typed it instead of sang it.

Bonnie

Fred

Make sure you tell Wendy that all of us at CC wish her a HAPPY 40TH BIRTHDAY!!!!!

I'm way past that number-so tell her from my experience to enjoy every moment of her 40th cause they go by quickly after that.

Happy Birthday to you

Happy Birthday to you

Happy Birthday dear Wendy

Happy Birthday to you.

trust me-be glad I typed it instead of sang it.

Bonnie

Actually Fred and Wendy are on their way home.......to San Diego:D

So there it is:

Miami - April 28th 5:00 PM

We have decided to cancel all calls at Mexican ports for all current sailings and all voyages departing on Thursday, April 30th through Monday, May 4th. In many cases, we will be able to substitute the cancelled call with an alternative port. Additionally, we are working on alternatives for those itineraries impacted by this decision. Full details will be available by 5pm tomorrow. Please continue to check back as we will provide the latest information online at carnival.com. In the unlikely event that our new itinerary options are not to your liking, we will also give you the opportunity to reschedule your cruise at a later date. Those details will also be made available tomorrow.

Our primary concern is your safety. We will continue to monitor the situation and will keep you updated if and when changes are made.

Thank you for your understanding. We look forward to welcoming you aboard your "Fun Ship" cruise.

Archived